closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Anybody Ever Comment on Your Watch

I find that only people who love watches comment on my watches BUT for that to happen I have to be wearing a watch that gives my interest away. So I've never had a comment on a Rolex or a Pam or a Breitling . It's brands like Orient, Tudor, certain Seikos, Magrette Etc.

I do the same thing myself. If I think someone is likely a WiS because they are wearing something under the radar, I might make a comment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had 2 comments on the same evening in the pub last week. One of my oldest friends asked if my carefully selected 1930's flieger was a TAG, and just looked disappointed when I said no.

The 2nd was a slightly mad acquaintance who saw it then asked what watch I would have if I could choose any. When I said I didn't know he gave me the eyes and said menacingly 'I asked you a question'.

I thought about telling him to take it the Bearpit but bottled it and just walked away slowly maintaining eye contact.

It's possible that he is one of the Watchlords and I failed the initiation. I'll stick to my Seiko 5 next time.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    One of my oldest friends asked if my carefully selected 1930's flieger was a TAG
    A colleague, dressed in a rather self consciously dapper manner, asked if my Max Bill auto was a Patek

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    A colleague, dressed in a rather self consciously dapper manner, asked if my Max Bill auto was a Patek
    Ah, you managed to pull off an upscaling whereas, dare I say it, I felt a little downgraded even though a TAG would have been worth more. You must look like a Patek owner.

I've probably offended at least three groups of owners, apologies etc.

I love the idea that somehow I've given the impression that I'm not a shabby scruff.

Master
    I would often get comments from crims while working in prison and probation. Usually 'is it real?' or "you must be brave wearing that around us". I would retort with "the only way you'll get it is to pull it off my cold dead wrist matey boy" or something equally jive.

Last week a close friend of my youngest son correctly identified my Navitimer and said how much he loved it.

I’ve always liked him...

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Only one!!

In all the years I’ve had Rolex, Omega, Tudor etc etc the only watch anyone has mentioned has been the blue faced analogue Breitling Emergency and I presume that’s because it’s a pretty bold statement and may be the reason I don’t own it anymore!!

Other than that I think I have maybe had 2 people I know mention the odd Seiko MM300 I’ve had on and that’s usually to ask if that’s actually “just a Seiko!!” ????

I love wearing an expensive watch no one has a clue about!!

Chris

Banned
    I have had the odd "nice watch" comment on occasion. The one I like most however was not verbal. The HR manager of a company I worked for once saw a watch I was wearing and he seemed to have trouble breathing for a little while.

Master
    Salesman in WofS commented on my parmigiani the other day, said ‘nice watch, I used to work on the watch sales counter in Arrods’ - he was a cockney like me. Same day I walked in Omega where a nice sales person said ‘ ‘hello, can I ask you what watch you are wearing today’, me ‘of course it’s a parmigiani’ salesperson ‘ ok I have never heard of that’ - obviously needs to do a stint in Harrods

Master
    The only comments I ever get are about my PAM 351 and that's only from the people who know what it is. Once I had a comment from a chap I was on a diving course with, that he liked my Tag Heuer (it was a seiko samurai).

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Last week a close friend of my youngest son correctly identified my Navitimer and said how much he loved it.

I’ve always liked him...

Simon

I'd be keeping a wary eye on that one.

Craftsman
    The copper dial on my Sinn 356 II but I hardly ever wear it now (and those passing comment were ladies -it's a pretty colour).

Craftsman
    My friends that are into watches will spot a new one straight away. other than that it's the occasional colleague.

Incidently there are a lot of bi-metal Roles at work, you get on as a gift if you hit 25 years!!

Journeyman
    One of my clients and I have good old nosey at each other’s wrist because we normally have something new or interesting and it creates a good rapport. By and large though most people don’t notice, more people notice the Apple Watch I use as a fitness tracker at the gym.

Craftsman
    I hate it when people ask about my watch. It makes me feel uncomfortable and usually means it gets covered up. I like my watches to be understated and am quite happy for them to remain under the radar. This is probably because most of my mates think that spending anything more than £100 on a watch is absolutely ridiculous!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    First time I wore my Cameron DSSD to morning meeting my boss noticed it straight away. He was horrified at the price tho, and amazed that I wore it in such an environment. Have had a comment from a colleague, when on a training course, on my PAM 49. She noticed as had bought a PAM for her fiancee as an engagement gift.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My Doxa Sub 600t Pro regularly gets a mention. i think its the bright orange that attracts them

Master
    Blog Entries
    "what a lovely watch" the nice nurse at hospital said today as she relieved me of my distressed looking skx009 on a brown leather NATO.

Then she went and spoilt it all by injecting me with sedatives, rolling me over and letting someone shove a camera up my arse.

Actually I quite like the sedatives.
    Last edited by jmitch; 17th February 2018 at 20:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Pateklover View Post
    I pulled 50 women today with my Casio
    Eugh i have snotted with that funny comment
    thanks ;)

For me a work colleague noticed my davosa pvd ternos diver.
    With a nice watch comment. He wears tag heuer though........

My sister thought the seiko skx007 on a black perlon looked like an expensive watch.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    "what a lovely watch" the nice nurse at hospital said today as she relieved me of my distressed looking skx009 on a brown leather NATO.

Then she went and spoilt it all by injecting me with sedatives, rolling me over and letting someone shove a camera up my arse.

Actually I quite like the sedatives.
    The moral of this story is beware of anyone complimenting one's watch. I wonder if they get that taught them at nursing school: to relax a man's rear, coo over his watch.

I got a “nice watch” today whilst wearing my Seiko Turtle on a Phoenix Bond NATO.

Does the comment count if it was from a TZer?
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 17th February 2018 at 22:13.

I always get comments on my Seiko Samurai and my Tudor Black Bay. Never the Submariner tho

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Occasionally, but more often than not I become aware of people looking at my watch while talking to me. Find it really off putting so usually try and hide it under a cuff.
    This once when i was doing a handover of a role a work.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieTheBarber View Post
    I always get comments on my Seiko Samurai and my Tudor Black Bay. Never the Submariner tho

That's good isn't it?

I don't like my watches being noticed. Your experience shows that the submariner is more subtle than the other two watches.

Craftsman
    I have a couple of watch watching mates, I rotate my watches fairly regularly but have a few fairly expensive (Rolex/Zenith) and a couple of Omegas (AT and SMP) as well as a few "cheapies" ie a Steinhert a Certina and a homage Parnis. Oddly it's the Steinhert and Parnis that get those covert glances. Never sure if it's disbelief or just a lack of recognition.

However, it's the Zenith that get's complimentary comments from those genuinely in the know. I've only had one comment ref the Rolex, it was from a Porsche salesman. Not sure what to make about that really.

I'm more than happy to comment on a nice piece being worn by someone I know, but would hesitate to say anything to a stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    That's good isn't it?

I don't like my watches being noticed. Your experience shows that the submariner is more subtle than the other two watches.
    Yeh, it’s definitely not a bad thing, I’ve always put it down to maybe there’s more seiko fans where I live than Rolex ones..

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    That's good isn't it?

Not really, depends what the comments are. Could be 'what is it' for the other two. Many more people will recognise a Rolex.

Craftsman
    Yeh, it’s definitely not a bad thing, I’ve always put it down to maybe there’s more seiko fans where I live than Rolex ones..
    Or possibly it's that some people don't want to comment about Rolex as they are seen as being a bit flash? Or is that what you meant?

Quote Originally Posted by Finners View Post
    Or possibly it's that some people don't want to comment about Rolex as they are seen as being a bit flash? Or is that what you meant?
    Yeh that’s what I’ve thought before, I always feel ultra conscious about wearing my Rolex so maybe subconsciously I try keep it lowkey

Craftsman
    Yeh that’s what I’ve thought before, I always feel ultra conscious about wearing my Rolex so maybe subconsciously I try keep it lowkey
    Mine's an Explorer II (216570) which some say does not have that certain Rolex look. Frankly, I don't care what others think, if you've earned the money, then it's your prerogative to buy and wear whatever watch you want too.

Some people I know seem confused that I might wear a Rolex one day and a Steinhert the next. Says more about them than me I think.

my skx009 on mesh gets loads of comments. Watches many times the value never get a mention

Craftsman
    Two comment in about fifteen years of regular wear of my non date sub.

Both seemed genuine with their compliments.

One comment when wearing my Daytona , was nice copy , to which I replied thanks I thought it was a great buy for €20 on holiday .

Craftsman
    My wife's boss complimented me on my "Omega or whatever" which was a Longines HydroConquest, but it's my Junghans Max Bill which gets the most compliments.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    I have had a few watch weirdos spot my U1 across crowded rooms and make a beeline for me to compliment it. I am always surprised as I thought only members here had ever heard of them. come on, own up, who acosted me in borough market or the flitch of bacon?

My blue Pelagos gets lots of looks from colleagues but only one comment. Most of my colleagues know that getting it was a big deal for me so no-one mentions it, occasionally I hear them whisper; that lunatic spent £3k on a watch! He could have bought his wife some nice shoes AND a handbag for that!
    My most commented upon watch is my U1 always seems to get noticed and one of the reasons I love them is I’ve never seen another in the wild, I’ve had a few questions about Rolexes over the years but nowhere near as much as my U1 because it’s so different I guess .

Craftsman
    One guy at the till in Aldi always seems to notice and comment on my watches. I wore a Seiko chronograph once and he saw it, always comments since.

My late father was probably the worst for comments and nearly always the same.

Is that a Rolex....
    How much is it worth....
    And always followed by how much did I pay for it...

I've never owned a Rolex and will never be able to justify owning one. But the "how much did I pay for it" always seem to make me feel less. Not sure if he liked if I got a deal or I was silly enough to pay full price.

No. Never.

The only time was a couple of weeks ago when I was put in the pub with a couple of friends. My friend had a nice omega AT and the other friend asked about it.

He was wearing TAG diver but I can remember which one. He then asked me what I had on and it was my Speedmaster.

People around us may have thought we were a bit nuts as we tried on each others watches.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

A colleague at a previous job was a fan of the Speedmaster and would often comment on mine.

The only other watch that ever drew a comment was my Tissot PRC200...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Only one that wasn't from fellow nerds was a colleague who said that they liked the dial colour of my 662 as it reminded her of latte. That was only last week and the first in years.
    I've commented on hers before as she has an eone braille watch that I couldn't resist asking for a look at. https://www.eone-time.com

Master
    Monster in law said words to the effect 'you spent how much on a Seiko' when (if she's not careful, soon to be ex) SWMBO told her what my Snowflake cost. Does that count

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Only one that wasn't from fellow nerds was a colleague who said that they liked the dial colour of my 662 as it reminded her of latte.
    That was a line ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    Monster in law said words to the effect 'you spent how much on a Seiko' when (if she's not careful, soon to be ex) SWMBO told her what my Snowflake cost. Does that count
    It sounds like the issue was put to her in a particular way to get that comment. Few non-WIS know the Seiko/GS issues in play to make a comment like that.

For most the watch either looks nice or doesn't, and nice watches are a Rolex because that is the only name they know.

Master

No

The last time was about 3 years ago when a mate asked if my Tag F1 was real.
    My wife hasnt even noticed yet that i bought a Seamaster SMP last month hee hee

Craftsman
    On holiday last year I noticed the guy at the next table eying up my JLC Reverso UT Duoface. When he looked away briefly I flipped it from the white face to the black....the expression on his face when he looked at it again was priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    It's a fairly unique Seiko 7A38-7020 Franken I built a few years ago.

Initially I was a bit precious about it and kept it in one of my collection boxes. I eventually added it to my rotation of daily wearers. Only a week ago, a rather attractive lady, who wears a Breitling Superocean Heritage on a milanese band (and incidentally drives a Jag XK8) commented on it.
    Ooh, that's nice - what is it ?

NICE - that’s an understatement!!!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    The last time was about 3 years ago when a mate asked if my Tag F1 was real.
    My wife hasnt even noticed yet that i bought a Seamaster SMP last month hee hee
    Nice, time to sneak in a few more before she twigs. :)

Craftsman
    Yes, this evening my daughter who is about 4 said 'I love your watch'. It was a Seiko 5. She has a taste

I generally get comments on my 6105. Even had someone tell me what it was!