closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Anybody Ever Comment on Your Watch

Does Anybody Ever Comment on Your Watch

I don't have a story to share as nobody ever said anything about mine except my girlfriend who tries to influence what I buy with her rubbish taste.

I’ve had quite a few compliments - all out of the blue and from unexpected sources - on my BR123 Geneva over the years; people always seem to ask what it is and say something along the lines of it looking “right”. Nothing on any other watch that I can recall, certainly not the more usual suspects.

Occasionally, but more often than not I become aware of people looking at my watch while talking to me. Find it really off putting so usually try and hide it under a cuff.

Once when I was calling on a regular customer at a scrap yard, the owner, he made a comment about a big colourful vintage Orient SK, as the night before he had watched a program about footballers and their bling, thought the Orient looked like something they were wearing. I didn’t get into what the watch was, but was sort of pleased that he liked it.

Grand Master
    Wife sometimes comments but it's never positive.

Typical dialogue is along these lines:..........'that looks horrible'.......I reply, ' don't worry, it's not mine, it's one I`ve serviced and I`m checking the timing'

She positively dislikes Omega Dynamics, I own 3 and I`ve got my eye on another if the owner will part with it....enough said

Paul

Master
    I find kids often make comments. Last one was a kid asking if I was wearing a Rolex. It was a German homage.....

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Twice at work people have mentioned my Alpinist when I've been wearing it. "I like your watch", "what watch is that?" kind of comments. Only watch it's ever happened with though.

Master
    Pretty much never. People choose to ignore. Friends hate me a bit for being flash. Parents think I’m wasting money. Wife hopes I don’t buy another watch. Colleagues thinks I’m being paid too much. Who gives a fu@k what other people think though! As long as I like them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Same as some of the above, pretty much never. Guy at my office has a rather nice Rolex GMT Master and often will make a comment if I am wearing something “new”, other than that, no not really!

Craftsman
    Plenty seem to glance. Rare for anyone to comment.

No, and that's just the way I like it.

Yes...
    It's just a matter of time...

It depends upon the watch. Rolex tends to get the "is it real" comment.

Everything else gets "that's a nice watch" or complete ignorance.

Master
    A few sales reps have asked if I'm wearing a Rolex! it's extremely awkward as it's a Ł200 Seiko SSC017P1 so I assume they think it's a BLNR...?!

It does get quite a few "nice watch" comments to be fair. It is a hell of a watch for the price

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have had a few watch weirdos spot my U1 across crowded rooms and make a beeline for me to compliment it. I am always surprised as I thought only members here had ever heard of them. come on, own up, who acosted me in borough market or the flitch of bacon?

My blue Pelagos gets lots of looks from colleagues but only one comment. Most of my colleagues know that getting it was a big deal for me so no-one mentions it, occasionally I hear them whisper; that lunatic spent Ł3k on a watch! He could have bought his wife some nice shoes AND a handbag for that!

Journeyman
    I tend to wear smaller pieces so people generally take no notice...or they do but they don't know what they are. It just means I appreciate it much more when someone comments on what I am wearing.

Seiko orange monster has had a few 'Nice watch comments.

Only the all-orange Swatch

This one's attracted quite a few recently ....

It's a fairly unique Seiko 7A38-7020 Franken I built a few years ago.

Initially I was a bit precious about it and kept it in one of my collection boxes. I eventually added it to my rotation of daily wearers. Only a week ago, a rather attractive lady, who wears a Breitling Superocean Heritage on a milanese band (and incidentally drives a Jag XK8) commented on it.
    Ooh, that's nice - what is it ?

Last edited by Seiko7A38; 16th February 2018 at 00:19.

Craftsman
    Wearing my speedy Tuesday the other day my daughters friend (4yrs old) wanted to know why my watch has 3 clocks.

Banned
    I pulled 50 women today with my Casio

Quote Originally Posted by Pateklover View Post
    I pulled 50 women today with my Casio
    Big is it?

Master
    Once, a street vendor of some skin product tried to attract my attention by calling to the gentleman in the Rolex Daytona,i cringed and hustled off. I never wear any products and do feel a bit self conscious when out with some of my friends. They are very rare in the Bricklayers of Yorkshire.

Craftsman
    YES! I get watch enthusiasts from around the world asking about my Sinn U2 when they spot it on my wrist while I am doing venom extractions from our snakes. We have a lot of media companies filming and the footage goes out globally.
    One of our Professors is into watches and does stop to ask which Sinn I’m wearing on a given day (my Sinn U2 is my beater.. but I often take a second Sinn to work as well).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    No. Except the wife who occasionally asks, "How much did you pay for that!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    No. Except the wife who occasionally asks, "How much did you pay for that!"
    Hahahha

Craftsman
    Not had anyone comment in public, but I have had the "I've not noticed that one before" off the wife!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Probably, in the draft thread.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master

Comments and judgement

What is it?

How much?

Are you F**King nuts?

But who cares? You buy them for you. Or at least I hope so, if bought for validation of some sort you need a good coat of looking at your shallow self.

I only have 1 friend who is 'into' watches, but he's a one-good-watch kinda guy and last time I saw him had a Panerai. As my collection is only Seiko I haven't even bothered to talk watches with him because he just won't get it - don't think he's into watches beyond looking flash so would look at the brand and discount it.

Tends to only be friends. Otherwise it'll occasionally be someone with whom I'm already talking about cars and it's quite a common next-step for convo if they notice I'm wearing something that's not all that common.

Never. Well that's a lie as my wife sometimes comments looking in my watch box that they all look the same.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    I don't have a story to share as nobody ever said anything about mine except my girlfriend who tries to influence what I buy with her rubbish taste.
    Genuine LOL on the rubbish taste front.

No, the only people who comment are the shop assistants when I take my watch off to try another one on. Bar Rockefellers in Manchester where, if it's not shiny and new, they couldn't give a shit.

I regularly get comments on the watch I wear, as I have to take it on and off when working with patients.

To be fair I wear a mud master at work so mainly people saying that is a very big watch.

Sometimes I might compliment someone on there watch if circumstances are ok. I met have fair few people in the past who are wearing the same watch they may have purchased may be 40years ago or more.

Journeyman
    Occasionally a friend will spot if I have bought something new but other than that never.

I always talk to people at work about their watches however, which seems in the most part to really shock them. Spoke to a guy the other day with an IWC Portuguese and he seem very surprised that I even knew what it was. I told him it was because I once did a 6 month project for Richemont and he just looked at me blankly.

Rarely had a comment about watches in all the time I’ve been collecting. That was until I recently bought this one. It appears to attract a lot of attention whenever it’s worn. First watch ever!!

“Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

The only comment ever was a colleague noticing my GS diver and asking "is that a Grand Seiko?". I said 'yes, good eye" and we continued talking business. He was wearing what looked like a micro with a plain looking California dial.

Clearly he is not the average punter as far as watches go, but we have never actually discussed them.

It kind of baffles me that watches are basically ubiquitous yet the vast majority of wearers aren't interested in them... But I'm kind of an all-or-nothing person about everything.

Master
    I went with my daughter last week to see her mortgage advisor- he did spot and comment on my SMP- that was a 1st

Master
    I have only had two comment in just over 4 years.

The first was from a waiter who just said "nice watch" and promptly walked off. He was referring to my 39 Explorer which quite frankly is as dull as ditchwater. That did surprise me.

The second time was about 6 months ago when I was standing about in a local jewellers waiting for a quote to fix one of my wife's rings. A rather elderly chap (late 70s/early 80s) just slowly said in a very loud voice, "your watch is a tad too loud". I was wearing a coke GMT with Jubilee bracelet. I must admit I found that rather hilarious because he was wearing a YG Daytona and that is as about as loud as you can get. We did have a good chat afterwards and it does do you good to receive the occasional put down from a stranger.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I went with my daughter last week to see her mortgage advisor- he did spot and comment on my SMP- that was a 1st
    As the advisor made a mental note and the interest rate went up

Master
    Not a comment as such but I was having a wisdom tooth extracted and it was getting to the critical point, I looked up into the dentists eyes who was a lovely Indian lady and she was staring intently at my 16660 seadweller as she continued pulling at the tooth.

Once had a Fortis B-42.

A close colleague commented that it looks like one of those watches 'salesmen' wear.

You dont need comments, just watch the eyes..

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    You dont need comments, just watch the eyes..
    Fair comment- friend at work who likes his Rolex watches asked me about an IWC Portuguese, when I next saw him he was wearing one - annoyingly it looked better on him than me

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nobody has ever commented on a watch I've been wearing. I've commented on quite a few watches that other people have been wearing though.

Yes, I've had a few. Gives me a great feeling of pride every time someone comments or admires it.

Yes virtually everyday...
    Most of the lads that work for me all like their watches (how else would they get the job) and know that I like them too, so I am constantly asked what I am wearing.
    Currently we have a Omega SM300 Master co-ax, Breitling Superocean, 2x Bremont Supermarines (both Royal Marine centenary editions) CWC W10 (original owner) sitting in the office.
    I have posted before that a client noted my 7016 one day and asked to hold it as he had never seen one in the metal, the next meeting I wore a Speedmaster and he told me it was not as nice as the Tudor!
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 16th February 2018 at 14:42.

Craftsman
    I comment on customers watches as I have a genuine interest in them, however it's a fine line...

I think in Britain, people can be a bit reserved about such things and although they may want to comment on a shared interest may not actually do so in deference to an expense piece of jewellery.

Apprentice
    I was in a school recently and a 10-year-old kid said he liked my watch (a vintage Oriosa reverse panda chronograph). That kid will go far...