closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: rfrazier

I'm very sorry to read this. I always enjoyed Bob's posts, and I opened this thread looking forward to his latest update. I'm sorry he didn't have longer to enjoy life in retirement. Our time is much briefer than we think. RIP, Sir.

P.S. Just to add that a Google search also reveals the passing of a Penelope Mackie in Dec 2022, Head of Philosophy at Nottingham (and an ex Assistant Professor of Philosophy in the US), who was married to a Robert Frazier. Penelope appears to be the subject of some of Bob's portrait photos, so I am assuming they were married.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 4th September 2023 at 14:26. Reason: P.S. added and improved on

I never interacted with Bob but enjoyed his posts, he was clearly an intelligent and passionate man with a curious mind. RIP Bob. This made me sad to read on his website:

Welcome to R. L. Frazier’s web site. It was started in 1995, while I was teaching at Christ Church, Oxford University. I retired in 2022.

I thought of Bob a few days ago and, ashamedly, couldn’t recall his username to check when he was last online.

Always sad to hear of a member passing, quite a few now since my joining. Suppose to be expected when you hang around a place so long.

RIP, Bob.

I thought a few days ago about Bob and wondered why he hadn't posted for some time, so this was a shock to me. Lovely man, always polite.
    RIP Bob, you'll always be remembered on TZ.

Hello

Sad to read this, another valued member leaves us.

RIP Bob, you will be missed.

"Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post

P.S. Just to add that a Google search also reveals the passing of a Penelope Mackie in Dec 2022, a Professor of Philosopher at Nottingham, who was married to a Robert Frazier. Penelope appears to be the subject of some of Bob's portrait photos.
    Ah, also sad news, he survived his wife by only a few months.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Ah, also sad news, he survived his wife by only a few months.
    Yes, it looks that way (and her passing was following a period of illness), very sad. [Apologies for the typo, I meant to type Professor of Philosophy.]

Sad and shocking news. RIP Bob.

Master
    Sad to hear. Always enjoyed his contributions.

RIP Bob.

Ah that is very sad news. I enjoyed reading his posts and he had an acute wit. RIP Bob.

RIP Bob. Thank you for making the forum an interesting and brighter place to visit over the years.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

rfrazier

That is really disappointing news; Bob was always a valuable contributor and had such a fantastically dry sense of humour. He will be sorely missed (and has been).

RIP Bob
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 4th September 2023 at 01:57.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

RIP Bob.

I always enjoyed Bob’s posts and contributions. Some were both extremely fascinating and completely over my head at the same time. Bob explaining how he was designing a system with various electronics to provide an exact time stands out as one such post.

He is sadly missed.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    A fascinating man with the very driest of wit and a real loss to the community. What a shame he didn't get to enjoy his retirement.

Sad news indeed.

RIP Bob.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Bob explaining how he was designing a system with various electronics to provide an exact time stands out as one such post.
    This one, perhaps?

As others have said, missed but not forgotten. He always came across as an erudite, courteous and personable man; ever generous with his time and knowledge.

Oh dear! Not the retirement he or his wife should have had.

Very sad news indeed.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Very sad indeed, his contributions were so enjoyable to read.
    Cheers..
    Jase

RIP Bob, a forum stalwart of my early years here who made many genuinely unique and very interesting contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    This one, perhaps?

As others have said, missed but not forgotten. He always came across as an erudite, courteous and personable man; ever generous with his time and knowledge.
    Grand.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I messaged Bob a few times, and he always had time for my silly enquiries. His contributions to the forum were uniformly interesting and positive, and he will be missed.

Very sad to hear this news, Bob was one of the few contributors whose posts I would always read as invariably they were fascinating. Definitely not a "pulled the trigger on some new boots" and "mine says hi" type of chap!

My condolences to his family, RIP Bob.

Master
    I am shocked and saddened at this news Bob was one of the good guys I had a few conversations over the years with him it’s a loss RIP Bob.

That is sad news indeed. Like many members here, I looked forward to reading Bob's posts and seeing what he was up to. I shall miss his take on the many things he wrote about, his intelligence and enthusiasm were always on display.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

This is indeed sad news. I always found Bob's dial printing experiences interesting. There are a couple of his threads included in the 'Classic Posts' subforum, this one has details on his dial printing setup for anyone interested.

The thread is incomplete, unfortunately, but I do recall seeing some watches he owned with his own dials at some point, so he got there in the end!

Rich.

What awful news.

Bob and I conversed quite a few times over the years. I sent him a boxful of watch dials which he proceeded to repaint and stencil.

He spent time in the US coastguard in his earlier years.

Such an erudite man, I'd love to have 10% of his intellect.

RIP Bob.

PS thanks for letting us know Ian.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Just looking through this thread and following the links makes me want to build a raspberry PI-based atomic clock. Must resist...
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Very sad to read. RIP Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    This one, perhaps?

Yes. That post. Thank you.

Your observations mirror my own take. We could all learn a little from the way Bob conducted himself; something I admired in addition to his clear intellect.
    It's just a matter of time...

I too feel like doing a raspberry pi atomic clock. I was always in awe of his breadth of ability, to a high level, in a variety of non similar disciplines. He also had a great love of Iain M Banks's work, which sat very well with me. But foremost, he had a sense of humour, was patient and seemed like a thoroughly decent chap.

P.S. apologies to all as this is my third comment, but I really enjoyed his posts and threads.

RIP Robert "Bob" Frazier and Penelope.
    Last edited by Ventura; 5th September 2023 at 08:54. Reason: Spell autocorrect error.

Such a sad loss to both the community here and society in general. A very intelligent man with a great sense of humour, he will be greatly missed. I locked horns with Bob, (in the nicest possible way), on a number of occasions and he was a gentleman throughout. Rest in peace Bob, you really will be missed - and I never did find out how you made those beautiful light blue see through hands!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

That’s is enormously sad news. Such an erudite chap, I enjoyed his contributions very much.

A sad loss for his loved ones, and also for this forum.

Rest in peace Bob

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very sad to hear this.

Although I had no direct contact with him, I always looked forward to reading his contributions here.

(If anybody knows his family, perhaps they could bring this thread to their attention, to show the respect and affection that TZ-UK had for him?)

Wow a couple of days away here we go again. Seems like a lot of people passing far to early, or is it that I'm of that age? Lovely chap, one I always looked out for.

RIP Bob

rfrazier

It is a pity that there his nobody in his family who can read these warm condolences.

I remember him for always signing off with best wishes.

RIP Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    I too feel like doing a raspberry pi atomic clock. I was always in awe of his breadth of ability, to a high level, in a variety of non similar disciplines. He also had a great love of Iain M Banks's work, which sat very well with me. But foremost, he had a sense of humour, was patient and seemed like a thoroughly decent chap.

P.S. apologies to all as this is my third comment, but I really enjoyed his posts and threads.

RIP Robert "Bob" Frazier and Penelope.
    I'll join you with a second post and echo the sentiments. Bob really did raise the level with his posts.

Master
    Very sad loss of a highly respected and valuable contributor to the forum. Great dry sense of humour too. He will be missed.

Yes, RIP Bob.

I also especially remember his time server posts amongst his great number of other interests.

Blog Entries
    Indeed a sad loss of a very clever, very personable and interesting forum member. RIP Bob!

Master
    Only knew him as a forum member of course, but a TZ'er I'd have loved to meet for a cup of tea, or maybe something stronger. Came across a a very clever yet gentle man.
    Best wishes' Bob & RIP.

Very sad news. RIP Bob, and thank you.

What a terrible shame. I remember gifting Bob, a few years ago, a Canon EOS1 with a minor shutter fault. I always meant to ask him whether he ever fixed it up and got some use out of it - sadly now it’s too late to do so.

RIP to a real gentleman.

Master
    Sad news indeed. RIP Bob

Apologies yet again for resurrecting this thread, but I managed to get in touch with Bob's sister in law, I directed her to this thread. Professor Mackie was happy for me to relay some information. Professor Mackie informed me that both Bob and Penelope had been diagnosed with the big "C" at approximately the same time. It was the same form of the disease that had afflicted both of them sadly.

Ventura, thanks for the update and for getting in touch with Penelope's sister. The closeness of their relative passing gives some comfort. What a wonderfully gifted family, their family gathering dinner conversations must have been very interesting (at least 4 experts, 3 in philosophy and one in the classics).

Such sad and tragic news ref cause of deaths. Bob was very fit and enjoyed cycling.

BW, dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Ventura, thanks for the update and for getting in touch with Penelope's sister. The closeness of their relative passing gives some comfort. What a wonderfully gifted family, their family gathering dinner conversations must have been very interesting (at least 4 experts, 3 in philosophy and one in the classics).
    It was the least I could do for a much missed and liked forum member. Hopefully Bob's endeavours in various fields will motivate some of us to explore other intellectual pursuits. I've become keen on Time, not just watches, but computers and the mathematical physics, partly due to Bob. Obviously at a very, very low level at the moment

I wonder if another forum member will take over the mentally stimulating threads...Bob will be much missed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very sad to learn of Bob’s passing. I greatly valued his contributions to the forum in the old days. He was a gentleman in the best sense of the word.