closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ANOTHER mass killing in US

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    On your point about mental health issues among the homeless in Cali - how much of that is down to drug/alcohol abuse caused by circumstance rather than medically diagnosed mental illness?
    Undeniably drug and alcohol abuse will be rife in that group. I believe it is a bit of a chicken and egg question to establish which came first but it’s largely irrelevant once the condition is there. And if treating the addiction helps to treat the illness then it becomes a win-win.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    At least this is one thing that Trump cannot change. I do agree that everyman has the right to bare arms but only if you can justify why they need to carry a weapon.
    that’s fine except when they have those awful trashy tattoos or decide to bare their corpulent quivering torso too.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    The deaths are meaningless unless you're directly affected, I live 3000 miles away from America, I, like many others think the 2nd amendment is a pointless throwback to another age, but I suspect 'most' Americans will just go out and buy another gun, the logical conclusion will be that someday soon teachers and pupils will all be allowed to take guns to school, which should make 'history' lessons such as
    the shoot out at the 'ok corral' entertaining at the very least.
    America ''Land of the free mental''.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Dear god in heaven ,the nutcase Trump is now proposing that teachers are to be allowed to conceal carry guns in class.
    Just thankful that there is a big ocean between us.
    Last edited by Jega; 22nd February 2018 at 19:51.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Not really a weapon if you are just carrying a rifle to a range, or shotgun to a clay ground. Weapon is terminology used by antis.
    This is a weapon...

https://youtu.be/UwSIxKZAs40?t=140

This is a rifle for the range...

https://youtu.be/TLzQynJEcww?t=41

M

Absolutely insane. I don’t think anyone outside the US can really understand the twisted logic (not to mention irony). It really is Wild West mentality. Plus it puts a big target on the teachers.

What’s next, arm the kids?

seems like a great solution , give overstressed teachers the ability to wipe out the class when they have had enough.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Absolutely insane. I don’t think anyone outside the US can really understand the twisted logic (not to mention irony). It really is Wild West mentality. Plus it puts a big target on the teachers.

Only logical, isn't it?

M

Maybe Darwin has evolved and found ways to circumvent humanity’s efforts to defeat him. This is his test run, if it works it will be extended across the world

Just throwing this one in here:

http://fortune.com/2018/02/20/austra...ntrol-success/

TL:DR

"As for mass killings, there were no more. Not one in the past 22 years"

"
    There has been no similar shooting spree since"

"
    Australia’s murder rate fell to less than 1 killing per 100,000 people—a murder rate one-fifth the size of America’s"

"
    Perhaps most remarkable is what happened with gun suicides in Australia in the wake of the post-Port Arthur firearm legislation. They dropped by some 80 percent, according to one analysis."

But hey - no real evidence that gun control works (ahem) ...

Cheers,

Mark C

In the above, a ratio of one to five isn’t outstanding in itself. There are many other factors that intervene and I would have thought it would have been much, much lower comparatively. I am not going to read the 50 ofd pages of the report because I don’t care enough about Australia, or gun control in the US for that.
    Furthermore you don’t need 50 pages to understand that if you remove the guns, the number of suicide with guns is going to fall drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    (...)
    Furthermore you don’t need 50 pages to understand that if you remove the guns, the number of suicide with guns is going to fall drastically.
    Nah. If you remove the guns from law-abiding citizens, that will leave only the bad ones armed and we all will eventually die. It's proven, just ask the NRA or any one of their sock puppets.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    surely the same would apply to suicide by drugs if you banned medication, suicide by trains if you closed the underground/rail network, suicide from jumping from bridges if you banned people from using them. What about those who slash their wrists - ban razor blades? Don't even get me started on those who drink themselves to death.

I agree that gun control is a good thing, but linking it to a particular form of suicide is daft.

PS you will also note that suicide rates in Australia have increased http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/201...ht_a_21480647/
    Last edited by Andyg; 22nd February 2018 at 21:04.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    surely the same would apply to suicide by drugs if you banned medication, suicide by trains if you closed the underground/rail network, suicide from jumping from bridges if you banned people from using them. What about those who slash their wrists - ban razor blades? Don't even get me started on those who drink themselves to death.

I agree that gun control is a good thing, but linking it to a particular form of suicide is daft.

PS you will also note that suicide rates in Australia have increased http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/201...ht_a_21480647/

I don't think it's daft at all................

Having handguns in the home also gives access to teens, who for one reason or another – decide to end it all. Sometimes it will be lone suicide, but in others – they decide to “go out with a bang” – “to be remembered”, “to seek retribution against his tormentors”, “to make a statement to all those who he blames for his situation”. (Note that they all tend to be male).

There is a recent report that there are now 50 farmers a year – commit suicide in England & Wales (Common crime statistics – separate from Scotland an NI). This is not entirely due to the sometimes solitary lifestyle with no other avenue (you cant just change career – you are tethered to that millstone which a failing farm can be). The prevalence amongst farmers is contributed to, by the fact that they also own firearms.
    A shotgun or rifle round is a very quick, spontaneous method, and that is an important factor in suicides and gun-rampages.
    In many cases, the absence of the firearm in the scenario of a severely depressed/suicidal bout – may allow the person to stew for a while, seek help, be noticed to require help and may look back in years to come and realise. “I came close to ending it all, back in 2018”. The gun allows a quick, effective answer to their problems “in a moment”.

The same aspect is in existence in the gun massacres the USA is experiencing. Some people would argue – “He could just as easily have used a knife!” No – that introduces an element of uncertainty (that victims could be dispatched and that subsequent suicide could be botched) – Guns are better suited to their purpose.

There are trolls about - switch off the internet?

Journeyman
    The killers should not be on front pages and treated like stars; and regarding gun control I don't think it will happen as long you have lobbying, which let's face it it's legalised bribery.

Quote Originally Posted by vadiro View Post
    The killers should not be on front pages and treated like stars; and regarding gun control I don't think it will happen as long you have lobbying, which let's face it it's legalised bribery.
    I would hope that the BBC, with no dog in the race - will have accurate stats?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41488081

This one also - proposes the "not naming" of killers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43118865

Dr Sherry Towers suggests this, and while it will make a difference (as I suggested in suicides and killings) - I think the killer is thinking "locally" when he carries out an attack. The reporting will continue, so a prospective killer will still be prompted, whether he knows the name of the last killer - or not. I don't think many of them are seeking national recognition, only local - amongst those who he blames for something.

Armed teachers? Give it a try - hard to think that the numbers can get too much higher because of that?

Master
    Well even a highly trained armed professional is no guarantee it seems https://news.sky.com/story/he-never-...unman-11262853 so who knows how you can guarantee teachers will stop an attack.

Actually - if you look at the figures over the time frame including the Port Arthur shooting - they fell dramatically and have only recently started to increase slightly:

But I agree that correlation does not imply causation:

Still, it surely couldn't do any harm to remove guns from the equation?

Cheers,

Mark C

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post

It doesn't help that Trump is mad and the NRA and Putin jointly pull his strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Well even a highly trained armed professional is no guarantee it seems https://news.sky.com/story/he-never-...unman-11262853 so who knows how you can guarantee teachers will stop an attack.
    All you could say with certainty is - the heroes (teachers) of previous gun massacres who shielded pupils from gunfire, would have returned fire, if armed.

That might only apply to pupils in the same class, however. (who are boxed-in with no escape-route)

More guns in schools will lead to more firearms incidents, more shootings, and more accidents.

The logic being espoused by the NRA and Trump seems to be akin to someone with a weight problem being encouraged to eat more pies in the hope that they might get slimmer as a result.

Teachers being tooled up will make no difference other than to ensure the assailants are even more heavily armed. How many will get caught in the crossfire in a wild-west style shoot out in a school canteen?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    More guns in schools will lead to more firearms incidents, more shootings, and more accidents.

The logic being espoused by the NRA and Trump seems to be akin to someone with a weight problem being encouraged to eat more pies in the hope that they might get slimmer as a result.

Teachers being tooled up will make no difference other than to ensure the assailants are even more heavily armed. How many will get caught in the crossfire in a wild-west style shoot out in a school canteen?
    Or most likely shot first,what if the teacher gets fed up and they go on a rampage.

It’s unbelivable when you stop and think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    All you could say with certainty is - the heroes (teachers) of previous gun massacres who shielded pupils from gunfire, would have returned fire, if armed.

Utter tosh - they may have been seriously wounded first, may be pinned down or just a ‘rabbit in the headlights’.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Utter tosh - they may have been seriously wounded first, may be pinned down or just a ‘rabbit in the headlights’.
    Indeed, no certainty at all in this scenario, except another gun in it!

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    Until even more guns arrive.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

President Trump Meets with State and Local Officials on School Safety...YouTubeLink. Can someone please tell me what was KC's contribution, in particular as regards school safety (text)?

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you, Andrew. And Kellyanne Conway, though, I’ll have you say — I think most people know Kellyanne, she’s become a pretty big star. (Laughter.) What do you think?

ATTORNEY GENERAL SESSIONS: Big star.

THE PRESIDENT: Pretty big star. I think the best. Right?

MS. CONWAY: Thank you, sir. I don’t see it that way.

THE PRESIDENT: Would you like to say something? Because I know it’s a very important issue for you, personally.

MS. CONWAY: Yes, sir. Yes, sir. Thank you for yesterday and today. And the one thing I would mention, because we heard it from the mayor before you walked in the room, we heard it from Mr. Scott yesterday — whose daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, was the first fatality at Columbine 19 years ago — is this lack of connectedness for our youth. And some of the social media outlets you’ve mentioned didn’t even exist in 1999. But it’s this lack of connectedness, and I think that’s a whole other type of stigma and silence that needs to be cured in our society.

We all have a role to play there; there’s an entire spectrum of actors. We should watch our words and our actions, and realize that there are many different causes and symptoms and consequences, obviously.

But at the same time, if we’re focusing on youth, we need to focus on all youth and the ability for them to feel that they are connected. That is not with respect to any one individual. It’s just I heard it very clearly from Mr. Scott yesterday, very clearly from the mayor, and very clearly from the President of the United States moments ago.

Thank you very much for being a leader on this, Mr. President. I think that you have a great opportunity to join with the nation and help them to heal and to move forward in a way that shows not just resilience, but great resolve, and not just talk, but action. We’re very grateful that you’re President at this time.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you. Thank you very much, Kellyanne.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M

You miss the point - that being:

I am saying that there is no guarantee that any armed guard or teacher would engage with a gunman.

I do recognise that the only people who have displayed any ACTUAL, RECORDED stance - have been the unarmed teachers/assistants who have taken rounds while trying to shield pupils. Those people were backed into a corner.

Unless you two are suggesting that they might have just thrown a handgun at the assailant......... (possible, I suppose - but their demonstrated actions would suggest otherwise)

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    President Trump Meets with State and Local Officials on School Safety...YouTubeLink. Can someone please tell me what was KC's contribution, in particular as regards school safety (text)?
    THE PRESIDENT: Thank you, Andrew. And Kellyanne Conway, though, I’ll have you say — I think most people know Kellyanne, she’s become a pretty big star. (Laughter.) What do you think?

ATTORNEY GENERAL SESSIONS: Big star.

THE PRESIDENT: Pretty big star. I think the best. Right?

MS. CONWAY: Thank you, sir. I don’t see it that way.

THE PRESIDENT: Would you like to say something? Because I know it’s a very important issue for you, personally.

MS. CONWAY: Yes, sir. Yes, sir. Thank you for yesterday and today. And the one thing I would mention, because we heard it from the mayor before you walked in the room, we heard it from Mr. Scott yesterday — whose daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, was the first fatality at Columbine 19 years ago — is this lack of connectedness for our youth. And some of the social media outlets you’ve mentioned didn’t even exist in 1999. But it’s this lack of connectedness, and I think that’s a whole other type of stigma and silence that needs to be cured in our society.

We all have a role to play there; there’s an entire spectrum of actors. We should watch our words and our actions, and realize that there are many different causes and symptoms and consequences, obviously.

But at the same time, if we’re focusing on youth, we need to focus on all youth and the ability for them to feel that they are connected. That is not with respect to any one individual. It’s just I heard it very clearly from Mr. Scott yesterday, very clearly from the mayor, and very clearly from the President of the United States moments ago.

Thank you very much for being a leader on this, Mr. President. I think that you have a great opportunity to join with the nation and help them to heal and to move forward in a way that shows not just resilience, but great resolve, and not just talk, but action. We’re very grateful that you’re President at this time.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you. Thank you very much, Kellyanne.
    Have you seen the comments under the Youtube video...? Unbelievable...

• Being productive. They need more than teachers with guns. Please. Assign vets. 2 or 4 per school. Police officers get lazy and complacent. They are not as vigilant as vets.
    • *****PRESIDENT TRUMP***** 8 YEARS ALL THE WAY!!!!!
    • God Bless you President Trump #MAGA
    • Bless you POTUS. WE LOVE YOU. YOU'RE THE BEST!
    • Love our President - MAGA !!!
    • MR TRUMP please adress the chemicals being put into our food and water and the genitically made and altered food and prescription drugs being aloud to be sold for the ailment cause by what I just listed I'M GETTING TIRED OF THIS !!!WHEN THE GOVERNMENT POSIONS IT'S OWN PEOPLE ANDSLOWLY ALTERING OUR BIRTH RIGHTS ISN'T EXCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!!
    • Dear POTUS...........Love the straight talk!
    • God Bless President Trump, Thank you for saving America #MAGA
    • Wow, a president that speaks the truth unfiltered. No spin or talking in circles. Refreshing.

etc etc etc....

More fucking madness.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

POTUS45, "Today we want to hear from you on how we can improve physical security in our schools, tackle the issue of mental health, which is a very big issue."

Now read, Why Can't the U.S. Treat Gun Violence as a Public-Health Problem?

After a deadly shooting, the debate always, it seems, breaks down like this: One side argues for gun control, and the other argues there is no research proving those measures work. There is, in fact, little research into gun violence at all—especially compared to other causes of death in the United States.

The modern origins of the impasse can be traced to 1996, when Congress passed an amendment to a spending bill that forbade the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from using money to “advocate or promote gun control.”

The National Rifle Association had pushed for the amendment, after public-health researchers produced a spate of studies suggesting that, for example, having a gun in the house increased risk of homicide and suicide. It deemed the research politically motivated...

Master
    Blog Entries
    You miss the point - that being:

I am saying that there is no guarantee that any armed guard or teacher would engage with a gunman.

I do recognise that the only people who have displayed any ACTUAL, RECORDED stance - have been the unarmed teachers/assistants who have taken rounds while trying to shield pupils. Those people were backed into a corner.

Unless you two are suggesting that they might have just thrown a handgun at the assailant......... (possible, I suppose - but their demonstrated actions would suggest otherwise)
    The guard at this shooting didn’t go in he’s been suspended.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    More fucking madness.

You said it all with 3 words.

Master
    Well done Florida, outstanding....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0174fece2485

Let's see how long it takes them to achieve something more relevant:

...and if it works.

Unfortunately this thread is in the George, so I cannot post what I think of the state representatives.

Apprentice
    The NRA is heavily supported by firearms manufacturers so any efforts towards realistic gun control in the United States is a distant thought.

As far as teachers packing heat...while I'm not particularly keen on the idea, maybe carrying weapons loaded with animal tranquilizers (enough to stop a bear) might serve as an alternative for those who endorse the concept. Stop the potential killer in his tracks and then refer the alleged act to jurisprudence.

Anger, paranoia and a misguided sense of empowerment is why so many gun-related crimes occur in America. When you add greed and territorial rights emanating from underworld crime, the picture gets even uglier.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    The guard at this shooting didn’t go in he’s been suspended.

Uh-huh ....... I acknowledge that in line 2 & 3 of the post you quoted.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Uh-huh ....... I acknowledge that in line 2 & 3 of the post you quoted.
    I was agreeing with you

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I was agreeing with you

Apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannon View Post
    The NRA is heavily supported by firearms manufacturers so any efforts towards realistic gun control in the United States is a distant thought.

As far as teachers packing heat...while I'm not particularly keen on the idea, maybe carrying weapons loaded with animal tranquilizers (enough to stop a bear) might serve as an alternative for those who endorse the concept. Stop the potential killer in his tracks and then refer the alleged act to jurisprudence.

Anger, paranoia and a misguided sense of empowerment is why so many gun-related crimes occur in America. When you add greed and territorial rights emanating from underworld crime, the picture gets even uglier.
    Would a tazer be easier to use/ require less accurate aiming? Also, the poor teacher who was called on to defend themselves would have no qualms over using it.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Would a tazer be easier to use/ require less accurate aiming? Also, the poor teacher who was called on to defend themselves would have no qualms over using it.
    A taser is no good against a handgun, but an important distinction exists I think

A teacher armed with a handgun, cornered with school kids in a classroom/corridor - will have a totally different outlook to a person - stationed outside the incident , who has a choice as to whether they “have a go” or not.

And just for clarity - I am not supporting the arming of teachers.

Master
    Blog Entries

Your thinking of power, Im thinking of application, different perspective.

Gotta love the cognitive dissonance that the chuds are experiencing:

Take a look: www.nra.org.

There is also www.nramuseum.com:

At least the latter uses '.com', while the NRA itself uses '.org'.

Last edited by PickleB; 1st March 2018 at 10:19.

I never would have guessed..."Grant Stinchfield reveals definitive proof that Americans love their firearms"...link.

Just out... Gun Policy in America:

Facts About the Effects of Gun Policies Are Elusive but Important

RAND's Gun Policy in America initiative provides information on what scientific research can tell us about the effects of gun laws. Our goal is to establish a shared set of facts that will improve public discussions and support the development of fair and effective gun policies.

We analyzed thousands of studies to examine the effects of gun policies on defensive gun use, hunting participation, suicide rates, and other outcomes. We also evaluated the views of gun policy experts who have opposing perspectives on the likely effects of gun laws to understand where disagreements exist and where compromise might be possible.

By exploring this project, you can view summaries of our key findings, delve into our analysis of the existing evidence base, learn how the experts think policies would affect outcomes, download our historical database of state gun laws, and access the supporting research reports.