closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anyone tell me what the point is of fake watches ?

Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    I could afford a Rolex, Omega, Breitling ect, but I’d not want people judging me, wondering if it is real.
    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    What a completely bizarre statement...

Simon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    The exception is Rolex you can start as many incoming,it’s arrived,my first Rolex,how much is it worth,will it be discontinued,which one shall I keep,there is a Rolex in a airport,shop window,pawnbrokers or any other place you can think of and there still won’t be enough Rolex threads.

Just stating the obvious
    Just popped by because I heard someone mention Rolex. I do like Rolex.

I don't like fakes though. People or watches generally.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Fake People?

Fake News!
    Fake tan
    Steroids
    Fake Rolex

Master
    Fakes exist because people are cheap and are trying to impress others because of low self esteem. Fakes will always exist for these reasons and we do have a couple of fanboi's here on this forum who would tell you otherwise.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Pateklover View Post
    I’m new to these forums so I don’t wish to cause any arguments, just curious to why they exist
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Fakes exist because people are cheap and are trying to impress others because of low self esteem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Huey View Post
    Elementary my dear Watson:
    (1) To impress and pick-up bimbos.
    (2) As a personal joke. When people ask, "Hey, when did you get a Rolex?", you simply reply, "It's a fake." and silently mock the ones who blew big bucks for the real deal.
    (3) When traveling to third world countries or seedy neighborhoods, you still get to maintain the image of being a Rolex owner.
    (4) Like Elizabeth Taylor, wearing replicas allows for a lower insurance premium and prevents costly theft.
    (5) One cannot afford a real Rolex but wants to look successful.
    This pretty much sums it up.

Now the next question is...Would you conduct business or invest money with someone you knew was wearing a fake Rolex? And #2, would you object if your daughter was dating or marrying some guy wearing a Rolex replica and passing it off as being authentic?
    Last edited by Bannon; 15th February 2018 at 02:58.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post

Simon
    I think it's basically to do with the non-wis perception of Rolex wearers as being a bit flash, a bit show-off. Let's not forget the average salary in the UK is mid 20k, and most people will never afford a Rolex, therefore the typical reaction from Joe public is understandable. Fakes allow mr mid 20k Joe public who also has a flash personality to have his Rolex on the cheap.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I think it's basically to do with the non-wis perception of Rolex wearers as being a bit flash, a bit show-off. Let's not forget the average salary in the UK is mid 20k, and most people will never afford a Rolex, therefore the typical reaction from Joe public is understandable. Fakes allow mr mid 20k Joe public who also has a flash personality to have his Rolex on the cheap.
    ^^^^^ Exactly this. I earn a good salary and I am surrounded by high-earning academics, but you will not see me wearing a suit unless it is for a wedding or funeral.
    I wear Craghopper combats or jeans, khaki shirts and Cat Boots..... I drive a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4-door) and I am considered to be Contrarian.... I don't want to "fit-in" nor do i want people to try and evaluate me as to if I could afford a genuine article.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I had some doubts about your other thread.........

Not the usual intro to a forum - I have to say.

Time will tell
    Is there a word for something that is neither exactly trolling or sea-lioning but nonetheless wins points for the longest possible thread provoked by a seemingly innocent question? I was also wondering about the other thread... I’m happy to give the benefit of the doubt and hope that we have a genuine watch lover here, but as you say time will tell!

In answer to this question, assuming it’s genuine, people strongly desire something but can’t or won’t pay for it. They end up wearing a souvenir of that emotional conflict instead.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 15th February 2018 at 11:24.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Is that like someones "Their truth"?

Master
    ^^^^^ Exactly this. I earn a good salary and I am surrounded by high-earning academics, but you will not see me wearing a suit unless it is for a wedding or funeral.
    I wear Craghopper combats or jeans, khaki shirts and Cat Boots..... I drive a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4-door) and I am considered to be Contrarian.... I don't want to "fit-in" nor do i want people to try and evaluate me as to if I could afford a genuine article.
    Oh, honestly, get over yourself.

People are judged on their appearance all the time, it's just the way it is. As to whether they are right or wrong, it's how you react to it that matters.

As to working in Academia, you sound like an art / fashion student, 'so' individual, don't judge me, that they fall into a group with a 'uniform' ironically the one thing they are 'rebelling' against

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    As to working in Academia, you sound like an art / fashion student, 'so' individual, don't judge me, that they fall into a group with a 'uniform' ironically the one thing they are 'rebelling' against
    I don't often agree with you - but that made my day! So true! Martyn

I've been thinking about putting a Ruf sticker on the back of my MX-5, I'm now having second thoughts.
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman

Hmmmmm, well as the ONLY person in the UK who extracts venom from snakes for Medical Research / Antivenom production, I think that would put me into the category of being a rather unique "Individual". World-wide there are fewer Professional Herpetologists doing what I do than there are members of Royalty.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    I keep telling people about the Lizard Folk in body-suits, but who'll listen?

They do exist, they live underground and control the banking system.

Craftsman
    Hmmmmm, well as the ONLY person in the UK who extracts venom from snakes for Medical Research / Antivenom production, I think that would put me into the category of being a rather unique "Individual". World-wide there are fewer Professional Herpetologists doing what I do than there are members of Royalty.
    Big yourself up, why not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I've been thinking about putting a Ruf sticker on the back of my MX-5, I'm now having second thoughts.
    I did that, but don't think I got it right somehow

Master
    No way! Are you Dr Robert Harrison from the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine?

You can't have rather unique, as it either is or isn't, anyway......

You may have a rather uncommon job and that defines you as an individual? I feel for you I really do, so sad when a person has no personality and has to define themselves with their job description.

Blog Entries
    No way! Are you Dr Robert Harrison from the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine?
    You could always ring him up and find out: +44 (0)151 705 3159.

Hey - this is getting way way too personal guys and not on the topic of fake watches at all!! Let's play by the rules or at least be civil.

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    You could always ring him up and find out: +44 (0)151 705 3159.

Hey - this is getting way way too personal guys and not on the topic of fake watches at all!! Let's play by the rules or at least be civil.

M
    No way man, can't push me around man, don't tell me what to do man.

We just wanna get loaded, be free.

Gotta fly, I need my hair cutting in a Peaky Blinders style, trim my beard and get my sleeves finished, then off to the hipsters club where I can brag about my individuality.

Not sorry, but couldn't resist it

It can't be the snake doctor.
    There is a YouTube video showing a smartly dressed professional talking about camels.
    No Craghoppers, combat pants, jeans, khaki shirts or Cat Boots.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    There's a saying: You can't buy class.
    This equally applies to people buying the real thing.

The point of a fake watch is pretending to be something that it isn't.

Craftsman

You can't have rather unique, as it either is or isn't, anyway......

You may have a rather uncommon job and that defines you as an individual? I feel for you I really do, so sad when a person has no personality and has to define themselves with their job description.
    Dr Robert Harrison is the Head of our Venom Research Unit.....

I am Paul Rowley, the guy who manages the Herpetarium day-to-day and the person who does the actual venom extractions for our Researchers.

Picture of me here extracting venom from a Rhino viper:
    http://www.lstmed.ac.uk/news-events/...ite-envenoming

And Info on me:
    http://www.lstmed.ac.uk/about/people/mr-paul-rowley

I am a 3rd generation ZooKeeper (1979-1992) who transferred to LSTM in 1993. I have kept snakes for 49 years (from age 6)... so it could be said that snakes / reptiles are in my blood.....I knew at age 6 that I wanted to work with venomous snakes when I grew up.... I certainly don't see it as a mere "job".... My personality has been moulded by my passion and career choice.

Thanks for your interest, I hope this clears up any confusion :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    That’s a Rolex.

Paul, I have to ask, do you ever transport them? Like on a plane?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by messym View Post
    Paul, I have to ask, do you ever transport them? Like on a plane?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ROFL

Why, oh why, did I jump from the first page of this thread to the last? Very confusing! I do now know more than I did (or wanted to!?) about PDR. Very informative...

... On topic, every other person where I work seems to be wearing a rolex, whether they are fake or real is any body's guess (probably real as I work in Chelsea) but really they are so common I don't really care any more. 🤣 I much prefer vostok, I have never seen another one in Chelsea!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pateklover View Post
    Does anyone here know anyone who has bought a fake, or would you buy one yourself, just curious
    Curiosity killed the cat and got you a ban..... love it.

Although I bet you will be back with a new name spouting more tripe.