closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: If tudor want to seperate themselves from rolex...

Master

If tudor want to seperate themselves from rolex...

It would help if they didn't send warranty repaired watches back with everything branded rolex! Also I bought a tudor so I don't want rolex branded items!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hr2KqaeQMb3Lwwkt1

Master
    Tudor have a long term problem. Most people (rightly or wrongly) consider Tudor to be a poor mans Rolex but if they sever the connection, they just become another maker. It is in the interest of both Rolex and Tudor to keep the current arrangement going.

Rolex UK Ltd is the company licensed to distribute and service Rolex and Tudor watches in the UK, so in effect that's the business you're dealing with. They could rename the business, but I expect most Tudor customers are happy with the Rolex connection.

Is their design and manufacture now totally separate from Rolex?

Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Is their design and manufacture now totally separate from Rolex?
    Clearly not.

M

Banned
    It's because your Tudor is serviced under the same roof as Rolex.

Rolex have a good reputation for servicing so wouldn't bother me at all.I like the connection and history.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    It would help if they didn't send warranty repaired watches back with everything branded rolex! Also I bought a tudor so I don't want rolex branded items!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hr2KqaeQMb3Lwwkt1
    It's just packaging. If you don't want it stick it in the bin.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Rolex have a good reputation for servicing so wouldn't bother me at all.I like the connection and history.

Watch has gone back to the store for the same issue. Collected it today and today it has gone back. Bezel is still crunching, grinding and jamming. It had a new bezel as a part of the warranty work as well.

Watch has gone back to the store for the same issue. Collected it today and today it has gone back. Bezel is still crunching, grinding and jamming. It had a new bezel as a part of the warranty work as well.
    So they sent it on to you without bothering to check if the issue had been resolved?

Journeyman
    Just about the first thing that is said about Tudor by sales staff or owners is that it is made by Rolex. Note that the most valuable Tudors are vintage with the Rolex crown

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helmbarrie View Post
    Just about the first thing that is said about Tudor by sales staff or owners is that it is made by Rolex. Note that the most valuable Tudors are vintage with the Rolex crown
    When I was at Selfridges viewing Tudors they really played down the Rolex connection

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Tudor have a long term problem. Most people (rightly or wrongly) consider Tudor to be a poor mans Rolex but if they sever the connection, they just become another maker. It is in the interest of both Rolex and Tudor to keep the current arrangement going.
    I don’t think Tudor or Rolex care about promoting the connection between the two in the eyes of consumers.

Neither mentions the other at all really in their press & advertising (except when Tudor include a ‘history’ section on their website etc. - which is hard to avoid, because fact is fact), and nor do Tudor actively trade on their Rolex connection.

In the days when Tudors came with Rolex-branded oyster cases, bracelets & crowns, but Third Party movements, then the ‘poor mans Rolex’ viewpoint was more applicable (if still a bit pointless). Since their relaunch, that is a thing of the past.

Nowadays, they largely retail within a different, lower price bracket to Rolex, use Brand Ambassadors (for better or worse) far removed from the staid, conservative Rolex image, and utilise a wealth of technology & features that Rolex tend largely to shy away from (ceramic cases; fabric straps; display case backs etc.). They stand alone, as good watches in their own right, and in fact, there are certain aspects of Tudor that I wish Rolex would adopt as standard.

I have no doubt they share technology & resource ‘behind the scenes’, but that’s just common sense. Similarly, I don’t see an issue if the UK arm of Rolex is the service centre for Tudor. Most businesses centralise resources. Where do Omega, Tissot, Hamilton etc. owners think their movements & servicing emanate from, if not ETA?

I will grant you that it’s probable many salespersons in ADs drop the Rolex name liberally when trying to sell their Tudors, but that’s hardly at the behest of either brand, and it’s just to be expected of someone keen to close a sale and earn their commission on a brand which is still quite unfamiliar to many consumers. Rolex may famously be extremely prescriptive about the sales environment their watches are sold in, but I don’t think they’ve extended that (yet...) to brainwashing sales assistants.

As to the historical models, there’s not a lot modern Tudor can do to disassociate from their past, short of buying them all & destroying them. The vintage market is its own, distinct thing. There are admittedly a few historical remnants which still attach (fluted bezels, for example) but it’s not like Tudor still brazenly makes a ‘Submariner’ model to try and trade off the reputation of their ‘big brother’.

Master
    I got a Tudor pouch when my Pelagos came back from Rolex. Same type as your Rolex one, but grey with Tudor emblazoned across it. I'll swap you if you want?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    So they sent it on to you without bothering to check if the issue had been resolved?
    I can only assume so. The ad called them and they said they changed the bezel and a spring? What ever they did it was worse when I got it back. They said they will prioritise it this time. They had it 4 weeks last time which as a one off I don't mind but I have only owned the watch since late November.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I expect most Tudor customers are happy with the Rolex connection.
    Agreed
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    One can argue that the prices are rising simply because they are vintage as is the trend in the whole industry. The fact is that no vintage Tudor had a Tudor crown...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think that most watch fans would be well aware of the connections between Tudor and Rolex and thus be well aware of what they are purchasing.
    Tudor in and of itself make some cracking and distinct watches which represent very good vfm at their price point. I think the poor mans Rolex tag is unfortunate, especially when you consider most Tudors are still 4 figure rrp watches.
    Joe blow public improbably doesn't know the ins and outs of this relationship, many will think of Tudor in relation to David Beckham or god help us Gaga.
    J

I think the relationship works just fine, the Tudor moniker allows them to push boundaries with regards to materials etc, when have Rolex produced titanium or bronze watches. The general public won’t buy a Tudor when looking for a Rolex but they will buy over omega, breitling et a

Tudor was once considered a poor man's Rolex. Now they have a brand identity of their own.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    I think the relationship works just fine, the Tudor moniker allows them to push boundaries with regards to materials etc, when have Rolex produced titanium or bronze watches. The general public won’t buy a Tudor when looking for a Rolex but they will buy over omega, breitling et a
    Interesting sinergy, shared ebauche, between Tudor and Breitling with the 70h pr B01 movement appearing in the Tudor chrono and the Tudor movements appearing in the Breitling range (heritage?).

Ref: https://www.salonqp.com/updates/anal...-tudor-teamed/ (old news)

Not that Joe Bloggs would probably notice.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th February 2018 at 21:39.

I’m not sure they do. I’m not sure 95% of their customers do either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been so for the last 40 years plus - it works better now than it has done in the past.

I imagine there is no will to change anything.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Maybe, maybe not.

Nobody considers Tissot to be a poor mans Omega, or Blancpain to be a richer mans Omega.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    I think Tudor have some great watches in there own right and the Rolex link is part of its heritage like it or lump it.
    Personally I think the link between them works fine and picked a Tudor for the quality and design. I also like the fact that they are not as recognised.
    Poor man's Rolex don't wash with me.

Craftsman
    So would a tudor being sent for service (vintage or modern) go back to rolex for service?
    What would service costs be?

Quote Originally Posted by Liam1288 View Post
    So would a tudor being sent for service (vintage or modern) go back to rolex for service?
    Yes, my BBN went back to Rolex for a repair & service after I dinged the lugs slightly - cost £279.IMG_5194.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    If people aren't happy with the Rolex connection, I find it odd they would buy one. It's not exactly a secret is it? Would have thought most of their customers are quite happy about it.

Apprentice
    So would a tudor being sent for service (vintage or modern) go back to rolex for service? What would service costs be?
    A good question. If it runs $900-$1200 for a periodic Rolex overhaul, does a Tudor servicing cost the same? We're talking a $10K+ Rolex vs a $5K Tudor. While the labor involved is essentially the same, there should be a margin of sorts.

Master
    Yes, it goes to Rolex. When I my Tudor north flag stop working I took it to Rolex st James square in London for them to service under warranty. If I was to pay it would have cost about half the price of a Rolex service...despite being carried out most likely alongside Rolexes by Rolex watch makers. I when I queried the cost differential the watchmaker said it was due to difference in the price of parts. Highly unlikely so in reality we know Rolex is double the cost because they can get away charging that much. Interestingly I was also told that Tudor customers also have the option of having the watch serviced without having the case and bracelet polished reducing the cost further...an option not offered to Rolex customers.

Craftsman

Is this for a Pelagos? Mine went back for the exact same thing back in 2016, jamming and grinding. It felt as if the mating surfaces were not machined properly.

I got it back from the "repair" and within a day the bezel had completely detached from the watch (and still jamming up before it popped off).

It went back for a refund after that. Shame really, it has put me off trying another one again, as I really like the style of it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    Yes, it goes to Rolex. When I my Tudor north flag stop working I took it to Rolex st James square in London for them to service under warranty. If I was to pay it would have cost about half the price of a Rolex service...despite being carried out most likely alongside Rolexes by Rolex watch makers. I when I queried the cost differential the watchmaker said it was due to difference in the price of parts. Highly unlikely so in reality we know Rolex is double the cost because they can get away charging that much. Interestingly I was also told that Tudor customers also have the option of having the watch serviced without having the case and bracelet polished reducing the cost further...an option not offered to Rolex customers.
    Depends on the movement, some Tudor’s use ETA so yes the parts would be cheaper. Also if you specify you do not want a Rolex polished, they will comply to your wish. Although there is no reduction in price, as the ‘refurb’ to like new is complimentary anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    If people aren't happy with the Rolex connection, I find it odd they would buy one. It's not exactly a secret is it? Would have thought most of their customers are quite happy about it.
    Yes - I think they are quite happy with the accolade of “The thinking man’s Rolex”, but get all shirty if someone says “Poor man’s Rolex”.

Most owners if quizzed about their Tudor, by a non-fan of watches- would mention the Rolex connection, I reckon.

Would Tudor be where they are just now - without the underpinning of the quality, provided for decades from Rolex?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    Is this for a Pelagos? Mine went back for the exact same thing back in 2016, jamming and grinding. It felt as if the mating surfaces were not machined properly.

I got it back from the "repair" and within a day the bezel had completely detached from the watch (and still jamming up before it popped off).

It went back for a refund after that. Shame really, it has put me off trying another one again, as I really like the style of it.
    It is my pelagos, yes. I am giving them one more chance before asking for an exchange hoping it's just a bad watch. I really like the watch so don't want a refund.

Brand identity and one's personal inferences into what they are buying aside. it's a Rolex sub-brand and still ultimately of Rolex as a company.