closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Introductions and a question

Banned

Introductions and a question

Hi, I am a watch enthusiast and this is introduction. I am in my early fifties and have been a watch enthusiast since my early teens. I have an appreciation for good quality, tasteful design and craftsmanship. I don't own any expensive watches but I hope to acquire something nice from Switzerland in the not to distant future. The watches I currently own are mostly from Japan and China, Casio, Seiko, etc. Since this is my first post I would like to start by thanking those who maintain this forum and any members who care to give me advice.

I am not really here because of any great desire to buy and sell watches. My purpose is to more gain knowledge and to admire the watches that other people discuss and post photos of.

I would like to ask a question. While I will obviously feel free to express my appreciation if I see something I like, if someone posts something I don't like for some reason, I may feel it is poorly made or bad looking, should I just keep my mouth shut or should I feel free to make an honest comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Peteris View Post

I would like to ask a question. While I will obviously feel free to express my appreciation if I see something I like, if someone posts something I don't like for some reason, I may feel it is poorly made or bad looking, should I just keep my mouth shut or should I feel free to make an honest comment?
    Whilst praise is always appreciated, it is rather bad form to dismiss someone else's pride and joy. It is fair enough to record any dislike to a new watch or model being discussed, but slightly different if someone has posted a new incoming that does nothing for you. In that case just move on.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Whilst praise is always appreciated, it is rather bad form to dismiss someone else's pride and joy. It is fair enough to record any dislike to a new watch or model being discussed, but slightly different if someone has posted a new incoming that does nothing for you. In that case just move on.
    Many thanks. I agree. In most cases it is best to remain silent if one has nothing nice to say.

I see a lot of watches on here that make me wince but I wouldn't say so as the owners probably wouldn't appreciate it. Sometimes you see a watch that's hugely over sized for example but again subjectivity plays a part in this hobby.

I think anyone that posts on here, with an image, is trying to share something that they have a lot of affection for.

There have been some posts where people lambasted a particular 'horror' watch; I recall the rainbow jeweled bezel Rolex Daytona from a while back. That had a lot of fun poked at it.

Many thanks. I agree. In most cases it is best to remain silent if one has nothing nice to say.
    This.

Welcome by the way.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Most of the time :)

But sometimes, just sometimes, you will feel moved to comment ;)

There is a way of expressing an opinion without being too rude though, as in most cases someone has decided to put their own money towards the purchase.

Personally I don’t mind if others comment good or bad if I post a pic of a watch I own. I would prefer it though if I was selling a watch that members refrained from stating something like “that’s bloody horrible”. There are other areas of the forum, once you have a few more posts, that you can make all those comments either seriously or in jest.

& welcome. Hope you enjoy it.
    It's just a matter of time...

It’s not what you say, more the way you say it.
    IMHO it’s ok to express your views as long as you’re respectful of the fact that we’re all different with different ideas of what’s good and what’s not.

Welcome! The intro and circumspection displayed in the first post would indicate that you’re already well on the right side of things - enjoy!

I think it's fine to say bad things about watches, as long as posters are respectful towards each other. A forum topic is there to be discussed, and to agree with each other all the time kind of goes against the whole principal of debate.

I have been castigated watch snobs on another site because of my tastes. I don't care if someone doesn't like the watches I choose to buy, but I do get annoyed when someone attacks me personally. There are some very petty people out there, be aware

Hi, I am a watch enthusiast and this is introduction. I am in my early fifties and have been a watch enthusiast since my early teens. I have an appreciation for good quality, tasteful design and craftsmanship. I don't own any expensive watches but I hope to acquire something nice from Switzerland in the not to distant future. The watches I currently own are mostly from Japan and China, Casio, Seiko, etc. Since this is my first post I would like to start by thanking those who maintain this forum and any members who care to give me advice.

I am not really here because of any great desire to buy and sell watches. My purpose is to more gain knowledge and to admire the watches that other people discuss and post photos of.

Hi, I have posted on watch forums for a while. Believe me, they are very political. I would suggest you avoid getting in conversations with people who believe the only good watches have to cost a fortune, and they can't possibly be any good if they aren't made in Switzerland. Sounds crazy, but such people exist. There are even people who hate watches that look like other watches, honestly. If your going to criticise somebody's watch be very careful. I come from an upbringing where people have backbones, but today's society is somewhat more sensitive. The most important thing is that you enjoy the watches you have

Journeyman
    Personally speaking, If I've nothing nice or constructive to say I just shut up.

Banned
    You should give your opinion either way.

"I don't like it because.........."

Nothing wrong with that.

Journeyman
    I think its always good to try and say something positive or nice about a watch even if it isn't to your personal tastes. Equally i think it takes a while for something to appeal to you so your immediate reaction may not be the lasting one!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Most of the time :)

But sometimes, just sometimes, you will feel moved to comment ;)

There is a way of expressing an opinion without being too rude though, as in most cases someone has decided to put their own money towards the purchase.

Personally I don’t mind if others comment good or bad if I post a pic of a watch I own. I would prefer it though if I was selling a watch that members refrained from stating something like “that’s bloody horrible”. There are other areas of the forum, once you have a few more posts, that you can make all those comments either seriously or in jest.

& welcome. Hope you enjoy it.
    Yes, I have to agree, sometimes I just cannot hold back my feelings.
    On the other hand of course, some people ask for opinions and "what do you think of this?" I feel that honesty is sometimes required in these situations.
    I am on some car forums, and people say "what do you think of my new 6' high fake carbon spoiler" and sometimes, they don't like the responses.

Blog Entries
    As has been mentioned - it is the way you phrase comments that can rub people here up the wrong way. Seems that some people have an agenda which you've already seen even on this post!

Anyway - so feel free to comment away and welcome to TZ! There are some friendly characters here and the UK centric banter it is refreshing but can be taken offensively. You'll soon get to know the good guys (not all male) - and the bad ones.

Use the ignore button judiciously - it is your friend!

Anyway welcome aboard. And thanks for taking the time to post. Speed posting is kinda frowned on - there are only a few forum rules depending on what sub-forum you are on.

Cheers

Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    You'll soon get to know the good guys (not all male) - and the bad ones (not all male)
    FTFY

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    FTFY

I find it interesting when somebody makes an observation on what they feel is a design flaw within a particular brand or model, especially when new variations are released for example.

Obviously the best time to do that is in relation to a photo being posted eg. Incoming thread. Like said before if done respectfully and constructively in can be a great help to others considering a similar purchase.

I seem to recall a IWC where members went into lots of detail over the various ‘marks’ eg. XV vs XIV. I found that as a newbie fascinating and never realised such subtle changes would make such a difference.

Master
    I think the worst sin is disruptive commenting on a sales thread . You still see it. Recently I sold a Seiko Monster for the price I paid for it back onto SC. For some reason some smarmy so and so started crowing about it being too cheap, it wasn’t meant to be helpful either more like you shmuck. Very irritating indeed though I spotted the comment was late at night so maybe booze had something to do with it.

As a rule I’m confident in my purchase choice not to seek validation on an incoming thread. When I see it in others, if I don’t like The Watch I don’t comment. Not nice slating off someone’s choice when it could be £1,000’s of Pound’s.
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 13th February 2018 at 16:21.

As Mr Lowman said, different people are different and input in different ways, I have shared a few watches and none have got universal acclaim but the feedback has always been respectful and with context, and thats cool, I buy my watches for me .... and I like things a little left field at times, for instance all the Rolex threads just remind me of all the Porsche threads on Pistonheads where none of it is about the watch and its all about the money .....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I think the worst sin is disruptive commenting on a sales thread . You still see it. Recently I sold a Seiko Monster for the price I paid for it back onto SC. For some reason some smarmy so and so started crowing about it being too cheap, it wasn’t meant to be helpful either more like you shmuck. Very irritating indeed though I spotted the comment was late at night so maybe booze had something to do with it.

As a rule I’m confident in my purchase choice not to seek validation on an incoming thread. When I see it in others, if I don’t like The Watch I don’t comment. Not nice slating off someone’s choice when it could be £1,000’s of Pound’s.
    Disrupting sales threads is nasty. I especially dislike the "pm sent" comment. That just seems to be designed to scare other buyers away.

Master
    Disrupting sales threads is nasty. I especially dislike the "pm sent" comment. That just seems to be designed to scare other buyers away.
    I interpret that as 'low ball offer sent'.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Yesterday I got approval from my wife, and today I put myself on he waiting list for a Rolex Submariner at my local dealer. He thinks I can have the watch about 8 months from now, fingers crossed.

Craftsman
    Congrats! Also my first Rolex. Date or no date?

Banned
    No date.