closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why £80k?

Why £80k?

This Watchfinder YouTube series I find pretty interesting. Here's one comparing a Nomos, a JLC and a PP.
    https://youtu.be/jK0v7Zm5uaY

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's an ALS not PP. Cool vid though.

Very good and interesting. Thanks for posting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't get over the dust and debris on the JLC dial.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post

Indeed, and dirty hands on the L&S
    It's just a matter of time...

It was an ALS, sorry. The whole series, as far as I've watched, is interesting with some excellent close-up photography. Worth bookmarking.
    Last edited by Glamdring; 10th February 2018 at 23:06.

Craftsman
    I’ll tell my daughter to ask Santa for ALS.

Master
    Beautiful finish on the ALS. I also heard it’s fully constructed disassembled and reconstructed again for QC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beautiful.

That massively raises WF in my estimation

Excellent work

Master
    Their video are great and delivered well. The content is interesting and improving all the time. I also own the Nomos in this video and am very impressed with the finish. 100% agree for the money it’s great value.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    Their video are great and delivered well. The content is interesting and improving all the time. I also own the Nomos in this video and am very impressed with the finish. 100% agree for the money it’s great value.
    Very interesting. Nomos looks a little rough in parts (like around hole edges), however I really like the sharp edges under non-magnifcation - gives it a clean look.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post

Interesting comparison, but I too was very surprised at the dust on the JLC. I have always coveted one of their Master range...a bit less so now.

Journeyman
    I thought ALS said they only have one standard of finish across their whole range. If that’s the case then they could have shown the difference for a lot less than 80k.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Very interesting. Nomos looks a little rough in parts (like around hole edges), however I really like the sharp edges under non-magnifcation - gives it a clean look.
    With no magnification the finish of the Nomos movement looks excellent, and at this price point not many do it better.

The Watchfinder vids are really good, some of the most interesting on youtube. The finishing on that ALS is stunning. I love what Nomos do at their price point, really good value.
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    The whole series, as far as I've watched, is interesting with some excellent close-up photography. Worth bookmarking.
    Seconded
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman
    I had always wondered what the value of JLC was - bevelled edges but lacking mirror or black polish. Seemed like the same stuff Nomos was producing for much less. But side by side you can see that its finish is functional but almost flawless under the highest magnification. Whereas the Nomos starts looking a little untidy under extreme magnification. Shame about the dust though.

Love the WatchFinder YouTube channel. It’s actually really interesting and enjoyable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve7 View Post
    I thought ALS said they only have one standard of finish across their whole range. If that’s the case then they could have shown the difference for a lot less than 80k.

Agree to your point. Better comparable would have been a simple ALS Saxonia

Master
    What a nice video. I want an ALS now.

Craftsman
    I wondered where they were going with the match-head comparison, but the whole video was excellent and one of their better ones!

Also watched the Heuer Monaco vid this afternoon - definitely a watch I'd love to own.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    May I suggest a different angle. I inadvertently purchased a speedy some years ago believing it was genuine. In fact, a local jeweller also believed it was real, and that is why I ended up buying it, so let's get things straight, I have never bought a fake watch intentionally, and would dearly love to get my hands around the neck of the bloke who sold it to me. So what is the different angle. Perhaps, just perhaps, if manufacturers such as Rolex can see that an almost identical watch can be manufactured for about 2% of the price, perhaps they may become more realistic in their pricing. It is morally wrong that a watch that costs them no more than a few hundred pounds to produce should end up retailing for £7k. Of course, their are endless amounts of people who have more money than sense who are prepared to buy these watches, but what's really sad is that are people who can't really afford them, but buy them all the same.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smogmonster View Post
    May I suggest a different angle. I inadvertently purchased a speedy some years ago believing it was genuine. In fact, a local jeweller also believed it was real, and that is why I ended up buying it, so let's get things straight, I have never bought a fake watch intentionally, and would dearly love to get my hands around the neck of the bloke who sold it to me. So what is the different angle. Perhaps, just perhaps, if manufacturers such as Rolex can see that an almost identical watch can be manufactured for about 2% of the price, perhaps they may become more realistic in their pricing. It is morally wrong that a watch that costs them no more than a few hundred pounds to produce should end up retailing for £7k. Of course, their are endless amounts of people who have more money than sense who are prepared to buy these watches, but what's really sad is that are people who can't really afford them, but buy them all the same.
    Can you enlighten us further with your knowledge of rolex gross margin?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps, just perhaps, if manufacturers such as Rolex can see that an almost identical watch can be manufactured for about 2% of the price, perhaps they may become more realistic in their pricing. It is morally wrong that a watch that costs them no more than a few hundred pounds to produce should end up retailing for £7k. Of course, their are endless amounts of people who have more money than sense who are prepared to buy these watches, but what's really sad is that are people who can't really afford them, but buy them all the same.
    I don’t want to come across as a defender of Rolex, but your view as expressed is naive in the extreme.
    Firstly the basic principle of capitalism is that you charge what they market will pay. On that basis Rolex have underpriced the current Daytona, SD43 and BLNR to name just a few.
    Secondly there are a whole raft of costs the come out of the RRP that the fakers avoid - Design, R&D, marketing, dealer margin, paying workers a proper wage and providing decent working conditions, VAT and corporation tax etc, so of course a Rolex (or any legit premium brand) is more expensive than a fake.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Banned
    if manufacturers such as Rolex can see that an almost identical watch can be manufactured for about 2% of the price, perhaps they may become more realistic in their pricing. It is morally wrong that a watch that costs them no more than a few hundred pounds to produce should end up retailing for £7k.
    The price of watches, just like the price of anything else is determined by supply and demand. If you think it is wrong, then don't buy it. What other people buy and sell is really none of your business.

The fact that a piece of junk resembling a real item can be made for 2% of the price does not mean anything. All it means is that junk is cheap and quality costs, but we all know that already.

I can't help but be a bit disappointed by the dirt on the JLC.
    Last edited by Peteris; 12th February 2018 at 23:32.

Probably a bit off to bemoan dust etc in the JLC...

This is a Watchfinder video, right? Who stock used watches, right? As in, that watch may not have left the manufacture that way.

And the gunk on the hand of the ALS

Edit: gunk may be a bit harsh - but there's detritus towards the counterbalance of the sub seconds hand and on the leading edge of the day pointer
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 13th February 2018 at 00:51.

Along with the other responses to your post, you are quite frankly deluded in your assumption that “an almost identical watch” can be produced for 50 times less. You need to get real in more than one sense!

Looking like something, doesn’t make it close to the quality, or provide the manufacturer support expected of a luxury product.

The price is the price. If you don’t like it then look elsewhere.
    It's just a matter of time...

May I. Perhaps, just perhaps, if manufacturers such as Rolex can see that an almost identical watch can be manufactured for about 2% of the price, perhaps they may become more realistic in their pricing. It is morally wrong that a watch that costs them no more than a few hundred pounds to produce should end up retailing for £7k. Of course, their are endless amounts of people who have more money than sense who are prepared to buy these watches, but what's really sad is that are people who can't really afford them, but buy them all the same.
    Trying to hi jack another threat with your Fake drivel?

Sent from TZ-UK app on an iPhone

Journeyman
    I feel like I need to get a loupe to look more closely at my watches...

This is the big vid, the one people have been asking for. Seiko v Rolex. Interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwA_...ature=youtu.be