closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best / most memorable concerts

Best / most memorable concerts

We’ve had disappointing ones and the ones you regretfully missed or couldn’t be arsed to go to...

What about the stand out brilliant ones ?

Grandaddy, touring after their release of The Sophtware Slump, Manchester University, about 2001. The most blissful, mellow vibe I've ever experienced. Halfway through, Jason Lytle mumbled something in recognition of the unusual atmosphere.

Stone Roses. Razzmatazz Barcelona. The comeback tour in 2012. Managed to get tickets after the money I’d put aside for the play offs wasn’t needed as we got automatic promotion.

Stood bang at the front. Fantastic. Was filmed for the Made Of Stone documentary. Wife didn’t talk to me for 2 weeks as she couldn’t go. Only disappointment was that it was initially theinfirst comeback gig but they ended up playing Warrington as a free warm up a few days before. But still was absolutely fantastic.

Also Faithless at Manchester Apollo. Love that venue and they were superb. Can’t remember the year.

Master
    A few stand outs for me; first time I saw Tool (think it was 2006) at the MEN in Manchester. I knew it was going to great going in and I wasn't disappointed (albeit the support act was Mastadon, which weren't really my thing). Second time I saw them was marred by the fact that it was like a sauna in the venue but Tool were just as good and it's where I discovered Russian Circles who were supporting them.

At uni in about 2004 I saw the Zutons who put on a great act in front of not many people - incidentally, their version (the original) of Valerie was much better than Winehouse's

First concert I ever went to when I was 14 was Aerosmith - probably wasn't all that great but I loved it at the time. I remember thinking Shed Seven, who supported them, didn't suit Aerosmith at all and being annoyed that Kula Shaker had cancelled.

Finally, when I went to Franz Ferdinand I guess about 13 years ago was good because the Editors (who were unknown at the time) supported them.

The previous Mrs W was going to see Take That at old Trafford on the Circus tour.
    On the morning of the gig her friend had gastro and cried off.
    I said I’d take her and wait in town to pick her up later and perhaps sell the spare ticket.
    When we got there it was a lovely sunny afternoon and on the spur of the moment I said,
    “ oh go on, I’ll come in with you”

WOW !

What a show. The visual spectacular of all the circus performers and acts was incredible.
    At times you didn’t know where to look as there was so much happening.
    ...and the elephant was amazing !

I wouldn’t usually admit to liking TT but for that one day they were jaw dropping.

A couple that stand out for what it meant to the mrs.

We saw a pretty small time rapper called Sol in the Viper Rooms in LA. The mrs had always wanted to go (and morbidly she was a big fan of River Phoenix). Saw he was on, and thought ah sod it, I'm 40 (at the time) and ginger, I'm sure I'll fit in....

Anyway it was superb, the location was brilliant and probably one of the best things we've ever been to.

Whilst not a huge fan myself, took the mrs to see U2 Joshua Tree tour in San Diego last year. Her eyes throughout, tears most of the night. Memories for her (she's seen them a fair few times and this was my 3rd time) but she saw the original tour and its still one of her favourite albums. Just seeing the joy/emotion on her made it worth every $$ (as bloody expensive as it was!)

Craftsman
    Best and worst = same group

Red Hot Chili Peppers in Barra when we lived in Rio in 2001. An intimate gig of less than 500 people....... Same group in Hyde Park, London in 2004 supported by 'Chicks on Speed' and 'James Brown' ... awful day, left before the encore... and before they closed the tube station...

I think this is much harder to identify because so much depends on your mood at the time (Some might argue that the bad ones do, too, but I think you start positive, so a bad gig needs to be outstandingly bad to bring you right down).

Ones that stand out for various reasons:

1. Siouxsie and the Banshees, about 1982 - Just mesmerizing - What stage presence she had!

2. Franz Ferdinand, 2009 - Saw them in the tiny Bournemouth O2 Academy - Great set, really enjoyable and the encore was as long as the main set!

3. New Order, 2015 - I'd seen them a couple of years before after being a fan forever, but never seeing them and nearly didn't go as I felt I'd been there, done that, but in the end I did - They were so much better the second time, energised and enthusiastic after making their first new album in years, Music Complete, they seemed to actually be enjoying themselves, which translated into a great time for the audience.

4. The Beat, 2014 - Ranking Roger's version of the band - For a man presumably in his 50s, he's got incredible energy, and surprisingly they nailed all the tracks despite not having Dave Wakeling's familiar vocals. We saw them in the tiny Sub89 venue in Reading, where the band and the audience more or less share the dance floor - My 25 year old daughter says this is the best gig she ever went to.

5. Edwin Starr, Around 1984 - A friend of mine had been on a Club 18-30 Holiday and invited myself and my girlfriend down to the 'reunion party' at Brighton Conference Centre. The 'entertainment' was Edwin Starr, which I didn't give much thought to, but he was excellent and, despite being at least twice the age of the audience totally won us over. Top notch performer!

There have been far more that I enjoyed than didn't, but these are the ones that immediately spring to mind.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 14th February 2018 at 11:48.

Master
    So many for so many reasons. Van Halen supporting Black Sabbath (no prizes for guessing who was in form that night). Ted Nugent (on a number of occasions but esp. his Lady Diana speech at Hammersmith Odeon). Eagles on hell Freezes Over but the standout ones(s) probably Springsteen on The River tour. Saw 4 shows - 2 x Mcr, 2 x Birmingham and he was spectacular. We thought we had seen it all but he was young (early 30s) with a killer band and a great album to tour on and his shows were 3- 4 hours. Changed the set every night (he OPENED his London shows with Born to Run - talk about setting the bar!). Saw him again on Born in the USA tour when he became a global superstar (only took about 12 years plus a lawsuit and 100s of shows)

Mike Oldfield at City Hall, Newcastle... the number of musicians! Sally, his sister sat next to me on the balcony chucking rose petals over Mike as it was his birthday. Staggering concert.
    One of the best including several Genesis concerts there.
    Got to give Buddy Rich credit too.. amazing band.

Sufjan Stevens, Brighton Dome. Simply stunning.

Foggy

Master
    There can be only one - Queen Magic Tour - Wembley 1986. Supported by INXS, Status Quo and The Alarm.

Freddie was just brilliant.

I have been to many others and nothing has come close.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    There can be only one....
    See what you did there

Three spring to mind and could not be more different (two both the same band but have stood the test of time very well): -

1. Chemical Brothers - London UK Apollo 2016
    2. Chemical Brothers - Jesolo Italy 1998
    2. Aida Opera - Verona Italy 1998

Blog Entries
    Table at the front of the Blue Note in Tokyo…. Nile Rodgers jamming in front of me with Chic…. Truly awesome…. Massive party…. They were immense!

Met him afterwards too!

Master
    Stiff Little Fingers at Brixton Academy 1989.

Christ so many :
    Dr Feelgood - Queens Hotel supported by Lew Lewis 80
    Rory Gallagher - Hammersmith 1987
    Captain Beefheart - The Venue 84
    Ian Dury - Town and Country Club 86?
    Led Zeppelin - Earls Court and Knebworth x2
    The Wildhearts - Southend Esplanade 92
    Black Sabbath - The Kursaal 75
    Thin Lizzy - The Kursaal 76
    UFO - Chelmsford Odean 79
    Pink Floyd - Empire Pool Wembley 77
    Dr Feelgood & Squeeze - Ilford Odean 78
    Lee Brilleaux's wake The Feelgood Bar Canvey Island 94
    Last edited by wildheart; 15th February 2018 at 09:37.

I used to share a flat with someone who had been at the Ramones 1977 New Year's Eve concert at the Rainbow that was released as the It's Alive album. I'm half expecting to see that concert mentioned in this thread....

Master
    Lenny Kravitz at small venues in London (well before he was playing the Hammersmith Odeon as it was in those days) - brilliant.

Rolling Stones at Wembley Stadium back in the '90s.

U2 last year on The Joshua Tree tour - sublime.
    Last edited by bambam; 14th February 2018 at 12:08.

For me they were all brilliant but the ones that stand out are Megadeth supported by Alice in Chains in 1992 - Poole Arts Centre - Holy Wars tour & Monsters of Rock - Castle Donnington 1995? - where Metallica headlined & Slayer supported amongst others. I did get in the snake pit at a ‘tallica gig in Düsseldorf in 1993.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I saw Bon Jovi on the Keep The Faith tour at Wembley Stadium in the early 90s supported by Billy Idol and,I think,Van Halen. Superb.
    R.E.M at the Milton Keynes Bowl in 1995 was pretty good as well...I can't remember who else supported them but one of the support acts was Blur.
    Talking of Blur,I used to live in Windsor and there used to be a beaten up she'd attached to a pub (The Okd Trout) where random acts would turn up and play,sometimes under pseudonyms. Often you wouldn't know who was playing before they came out on stage. Amongst memorable evenings there were Blur ( Parklife Album),Oasis (Definitely Maybe),Faith No More and New Fast Automatic Daffodils. I'm sure there were others but I forget. The one I regret is the night I couldn't be bothered to go and it turned out to be Carter USM.
    The Ting Tings were pretty damn good at Portsmouth Guildhall as were The Killers at Wembley and Brian Adams,also Wembley.
    There have been plenty of others I can't think of at the moment but I know there should have been some that I could class as superb but were ruined by the crap acoustics at Southampton Guildhall. After many visits I have eventually learnt my lesson and will never see a musical act there again.

Master
    Some names popping up here that trigger memories. Bon Jovi/Bradford City Hall/Slippery When Wet tour. The album had just come out and the band were hot. they played The Tube that night and were late getting on stage. It's a small venue (1800) and the seats go right alongside the stage. Anyway - it was fever-pitch by the time they got onstage and we knew this was their time and success was calling them. Sometimes the best gigs are just in the moment. I've seen Thin Lizzy or UFO mediocre and I've seen them on top of their game (UFO at the Free Trade Hall/1976/£1 a ticket Schenker was utterly brilliant). Some bands eg Rush you would never what a bad gig was short of the sound/lights failing. Evertime I saw The Eagles I've wondered why everyone doesn't have the clarity of sound The eagles have. indoors/outdoors they are consistently sonically excellent
    Last edited by mrushton; 14th February 2018 at 13:14.

Master
    I was there too. What a hot sunny day it was I seem to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    R.E.M at the Milton Keynes Bowl in 1995 was pretty good as well...I can't remember who else supported them but one of the support acts was Blur.

Master
    Boredoms in NYC on 07/07/07. They performed with 77 drummers in Brooklyn Bridge Park. Show started at 7.07pm and lasted 77 minutes. Amazing.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjk01Wo-aEs

Broken Social Scene in Dublin, 2005. The third album had just come out but I hadn't heard it yet. They played for nearly 3 hours and it was absolutely amazing. Tiny stage and a 9-piece band meant they had to keep rotating in the stage.

The Go Team in Dublin, 2004. First time I'd seen them. Brilliant live band.

Dan Deacon in Dublin, 2007. His first Dublin show. He set up on the floor and we were upstairs in the balcony. Was like being at a house party. Best atmosphere I've ever seen at a gig.
    Last edited by Bogmanfan; 14th February 2018 at 12:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogmanfan View Post
    Boredoms in NYC on 07/07/07. They performed with 77 drummers in Brooklyn Bridge Park. Show started at 7.07pm and lasted 77 minutes. Amazing

I watched Genesis at Old Trafford 07/07/07.
    Brilliant show

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Sufjan Stevens, Brighton Dome. Simply stunning.

Foggy
    Would loved to have seen that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

December 2016, Van Morrison in Nells bar, fulham, just a small pub with a stage.

Christmas eve 1980, Ian Dury, Dominion theatre.

Elvin Jones, Ronnie Scotts 1975.

Sex Pistols, playing (shite) in the back of the Roebuck pub, Kings road before they become infamous, 1976ish .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    See what you did there
    I've been waiting to use that line for 30 years

Apprentice
    Anyone at the paradiso in Amsterdam.
    You can almost touch the artists.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Keane 2005 at the HardRock Orland- met the guys the day before outside the then Virgin megastore
    Bizarrely taking my 2 girls to see Busted/McFly at a local open air gig- we had a blast

Pink Floyd at Earls Court.

The Who at the Albert Hall

Gary Moore at Hammersmith Odeon.

Status Quo at the end of the pier Hastings in the early 70's.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Grandaddy, touring after their release of The Sophtware Slump...
    I haven't given that album listen in too long a while, I wonder if Google Play have it....?

I haven't been to many concerts however my joint favourites were both at small venues.

I saw The Proclaimers at a venue in St. Kilda, Melbourne in 2002 with a few new-found friends, my brother and his then squeeze - the place absolutely erupted with the first few notes of "I'm Gonna Be", I've got goosebumps just thinking about it. They played their audience perfectly knowing that despite their other popular tracks everyone was waiting for it and they launched straight in, with no intro, off the back of another track catching everyone unawares - it was quite brilliant.

The other was at the Norwich Open a couple of years ago watching Public Service Broadcasting, so much energy to their act and they put on an outstanding show. I'd bought their "Race For Space" album not too long before and to hear tracks such as "Sputnik" and "The Other Side" live was incredible, and "Gagarin" with some guest brass musicians was awesome. I'm hoping to see them again this year now that they've released their "Every Valley" album.

Crappy PSB pic -

Seen some great gigs..

Scorpions in the early 90’s, hearing some of their classic riffs like Rock you like a hurricane, Big City Nights etc was just epic.

Seen WASP several times and you don’t know what your going to get, last time they didn’t turn up but the gig before was like their classic album Live In the RAW, when Blackie is on it it’s amazing but he can go off the rails unfortunately.

For a great night of metal and adult entertainment SteelPanther are hard to beat, Satchel is epic on guitar, SP takes you so far away from the current snowflake world we live in I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Cramps at the Hammersmith Palais 1983 sticks in my mind as being a great night.

Master
    U2's warm up gig for the Elevation tour at the London Astoria. Only 200 tickets to the public (ground floor) and probably another 200 to celebs and hangers on (balcony).

Was their first return to the stage after the over the top garish Popmart with a stripped back (for U2) show. Just the 4 of them on stage with 4 lights. I was on the barrier in the middle with just a 1m gap for security between me and the stage. Absolutely amazing. Google tells me it was 7th Feb 2001.

On the balcony I spotted: Eric Clapton, Mick Jagger, Salman Rushdie, Chris Evans coming out publicly for the first time after the press rumours with Billie Piper (they were last out the celebrity bar and got a big cheer), John Hurt, Noel Gallagher and I'm sure there were more I can't remember.

But the overriding memory is off the atmosphere and the music. Just amazing.

Ticket allocations weren't announced until the morning of the show (Show announced on the Monday, application deadline Tuesday, Gig Wednesday) So I didn't know I was going. Just rang a mate, we jumped in a car and skived from work. Luckily that week I was working at a remote client site in a portacabin and my colleague covered for me. Drove back the same night (Sheffield > London, see gig, drive back).

Just looked up the setlist:
    Until the End of the World
    Beautiful Day / A Rainy Night In Soho (snippet)
    Elevation / Creep (snippet) / Steppin' Stone (snippet)
    Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
    Gone / Never Tear Us Apart (snippet)
    Discothèque / Devil Inside (snippet) / Love To Love You Baby (snippet) / Staring at the Sun (snippet)
    New York / Transmission (snippet)
    11 O'Clock Tick Tock
    I Will Follow / Reward (snippet)
    Desire
    The Ground Beneath Her Feet
    Alison (snippet) / Mysterious Ways
    One / Walking Away (snippet) / Unchained Melody (snippet)
    All I Want Is You
    Bad / Ruby Tuesday (snippet) / Sympathy For The Devil (snippet)

One of the reasons it was so good was all the snippets of other classics that Bono threw into their own songs.
    Last edited by ViperStripes; 14th February 2018 at 23:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I used to share a flat with someone who had been at the Ramones 1977 New Year's Eve concert at the Rainbow that was released as the It's Alive album. I'm half expecting to see that concert mentioned in this thread....
    I was at that gig! I'd cadged a lift over to London (from Dublin) with a guy who knew the Sex Pistols after hearing him being interviewed on pirate radio. He got me in to the gig free, and also into the after gig party (met the Ramones, Pistols, Slits and I think Mick Jones from The Clash was there as well). Great gig , but probably not the best Ramones gig that I attended (given that they were, without any risk of contradiction, the greatest band of all time, I saw them many times).

However, the best gig that I ever saw was Fishbone, somewhere near Tottenham Court Road back in the late 80's or early 90's. Wasn't sure what to expect,and they totally blew me away. Went with two muso friends and they both, independently, also said that it was the best gig they'd ever attended. Even getting back to my car and finding that some **** had dented my passenger door didn't spoil the night.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy 264 View Post
    Anyone at the paradiso in Amsterdam.
    You can almost touch the artists.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    I saw the Specials there. Brilliant gig and a fantastic venue.

Been to loads but my most memorable gigs were Live Aid, Foo Fighters doing a tour warm up gig at G.A.Y. on Charing Cross Road in 2005 and Bowie doing stripped down show with small band, no fancy stage - just two and a half hours of hit after hit.
    Nice to hear a fellow UFO fan, Strangers in the Night one of the all time live albums.

Nirvana in Manchester (and Reading)
    Tool in Glasgow
    Fugazi in Leeds
    Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy - can't remember where
    Breeders at a festival (Leeds I think)
    Alice Donut in Leeds
    White Stripes in Bradford?
    Kraftwerk - some rave
    Stockhausen - Glasgow

oh Sunn O))) - loudest ever gig, even louder than Swans

so many more..
    Last edited by Nuisance Value; 18th February 2018 at 00:49. Reason: forgot one.. or dozens

Craftsman
    Richard Ashcroft at the Albert hall for teenage cancer trust years ago.
    He was very good but it was the 'friends' that came and went casually throughout a lengthy acoustic set that made it.
    Gallagher brothers, Kelly Jones, Paul Weller, Roger Daltrey amongst others.

Best of all I was there with my girlfriend at the time so on my best behaviour, which means that I was actually able to remember some of it the next day.

Several vocal powerhouses there that night but it was Wellers voice that soared highest.
    Even above Daltrey and Jones, surprisingly.

Craftsman
    The Mars Volta at The Roundhouse in Camden, 2008

Great venue, great band, solid set and also I think the first gig I ever went to see on my own.

Craftsman
    Genesis at Roundhay Park in Leeds early 90s. AC/DC Wembley mid 2000s. My favourite Foo Fighters in Krakow a couple of years ago.

Been to so many this one still stands out.

Master
    The one and only Al Green - soul at its finest especially Edinburgh Playhouse 2007. The man just walks on stage and has the audience in the palm of his hand. Sadly he stopped touring a good few years ago.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band at Wembley, 2013.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    I’ll have to add the all day event Festival of the 10th Summer at GMex in Manchester in 1986 where for the princey sum of £13 i saw A Certain Ratio, New Order (w/ Ian McCulloch on 'Ceremony'), John Cooper Clarke, The Fall, Caberet Voltaire, Pete Shelley, Steve Diggle, John Cale, The Worst, Wayne Fontana and The Mind Benders ,The Smiths, OMD, The Virgin Prunes, Sandie Shaw, Howard Devoto.

Craftsman
    A different genre entirely: my first concert was the Chris Barber band with Ottilie Patterson at the Colston Hall in Bristol sometime in 1958 followed by meeting the band in the pub after the concert. A memorable sequel was seeing the George Lewis Band the following year on their final tour: that concert prompted this poem many years later:

George Lewis at the Colston Hall, 1959

Standing in the English drizzle waiting for the queue to start
    To move and wondering why I’m there at all,
    To watch six elderly musicians come to demonstrate their art
    Far from home in Bristol’s august Colston Hall.

Not New Orleans’ streets or bars where it’s said they learned their trade
    Between working on the docks or in the houses of the girls,
    But in a city where the fortunes of the merchants once was made
    From the trade of slaves, an irony unfurls.

Six diminutive black men, one or two the worse for wear,
    Take the stage, without announcement start to play
    And weave a web of magic, harsh and gentle on the ear
    Telling of another place, another day.

The cornet’s brittle sound, cold, gold and fragile on the air
    Intertwined by clarinet craft, all self taught:
    Lemon high exhilaration, purple low notes of despair,
    The trombone‘s brown lugubrious retort.

The audience responds with vociferous applause
    And a sound that makes the vaulted ceiling ring
    As the band declares in music, faith unshakable because
    One day they will be "Walking with the King".

The audience files out into the cold West Country rain,
    Their beards and duffle coats proclaim their liberal belief,
    In the hotel bar each player fills his whisky glass again
    Thinking of the homeward journey with relief.

DSM. May 2010

A further memorable one was hearing the John Coltrane Quartet at the Free University in Berlin in 1963.

Subsequently the "leader of the opposition" (aka my social secretary) and I developed a keen interest in musical theatre, opera and operetta but the interest in jazz has remained.

David

Master
    Blog Entries

Midge Ure back on the road tour with electronic

It was like turning the clock back 25 years or more. Ultravox it sounded were back on stage and the mood was great.

followed up by his new album Orchestrated. Awesome sound too

Jim

Craftsman
    Godspeed You Black Emperor, Sigur Ros and Fly Pan Am in 2000

Sufjan Stevens at the Usher Hall in 2015

Broken Social Scene at the Koko in 2006

Sigur Ros at the Queens Hall Edinburgh in 2002

White Stripes and the Von Bondies at the Edinburgh Liquid Rooms in 2001

Television at the Edinburgh Liquid Rooms in 2002

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fleetwood MAC is the Standalone for me, quite simply a fantastic gig NEC

Tony Hadley at Ronnie Scott’s in Brum. An audience of only 50 or so made it extra special.
    Last edited by hilly10; 19th February 2018 at 08:23.