closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our doomed hobby!

Nothing lasts forever.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/13/apple ... -industry/

"As time ticks ever forward things will change. The once mighty Swiss houses will sink under the weight of their accreted laurel-resting and Apple will move on to embedded brain implants and leave watches behind. The result, after a battle that raged for more than four decades, will be a dead Swiss industry catering to a world that has moved on."

What a depressing world view by this member of GenX. Mechanical watches are works of art IMHO compared to a "smart watch". As long as there are those of us who love watches, there will be a healthy watch industry. My daughter purchased a smart watch for me at Christmas this past year. It has been worn a couple of times when she is around but otherwise, a mechanical watch is on my wrist. Glad the writer has an opinion but in my view that is all it is, an opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Did you know that cars outsold watches last year too? Probably because they have a built in clock, meaning OUR INDUSTRY IS IN DANGER!!!!!!!!

Yeah, about as relevant. ;)

Most mates I have wear either just a watch, or a watch on the normal wrist and a smart-watch on the other.
    Look at the graph numbers... watch sales aren't dropping, smart watch sales are booming because its the flavour of the month. Go and ask early adopters who still have their Sony "minidisc", or even the original i-pod.

I don't feel sorry for watch collector's, I feel sorry for journo's who have nothing important to write about. 
    ha, ha, ha, I still have 2 iPods, a minidisc recorder, and portable player. Still use ‘em too.

Don’t like change, hence wear a DJ

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Nothing lasts forever.
    True, but a good Swiss watch can last your lifetime, the same cannot be said about the Apple toy.

Also explains the sales figures, an item with quality and longevity I’d bought less often.

Funny those stats quoted are per unit, I bet the per $ the reverse is true and the gap much greater