closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Securing watch on watch winder cushions

Craftsman

Securing watch on watch winder cushions

My watch winder cushions aren’t big/thick enough for my watches to keep them snug and secure. Just wondering what’s the best option I may have to secure them in place when they aren’t on my wrist? Been using folded up tissue for now but it’s not a long term fix.

I have a 4 watch winder, 1 taken by my wife’s watch and the other 3 are mine. I know watch winders aren’t to everyone’s “taste” but I have 3 mechanical watches that I wear depending on how I feel in the morning plus an Apple Watch, so a watch can go unworn for a week or more at times, and it’s convenient being able to just put it in my wrist and go.

Master
    Bit of foam. Limitless customisation....

Grand Master
    Just get rid of the stupid watch winder unless you have a quest to maximise wear and tear on your watches regardless of whether they're actually being used.

If a watch is used 24/7 as an everyday watch that's fine, it'll need service every 6-7 years and inevitably parts will wear as it gets older. However, if a watch is worn sparingly it'll need servicing less often and it'll last longer. Watch winders and vintage watches are a bad combination, that lovely vintage watch already contains worn parts so why accelerate that wear? Remember, parts for that lovely vintage watch may well be obsolete.

If folks are too lazy to set and wind a watch when they want to wear it maybe they should stick to quartz?

Paul

Master

Watch winder

A watch winder, worth having or not?

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    A watch winder, worth having or not?
    Nope, just another piece of clutter for those that 'must have'.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Just get rid of the stupid watch winder unless you have a quest to maximise wear and tear on your watches regardless of whether they're actually being used.

If a watch is used 24/7 as an everyday watch that's fine, it'll need service every 6-7 years and inevitably parts will wear as it gets older. However, if a watch is worn sparingly it'll need servicing less often and it'll last longer. Watch winders and vintage watches are a bad combination, that lovely vintage watch already contains worn parts so why accelerate that wear? Remember, parts for that lovely vintage watch may well be obsolete.

Paul
    Thats logical and I always let watches wind down when not in use. But if I have understood correctly from general information, one would still need a service every 6-7 years because the oil dries out, or is this less somehow with less use? Also, do you know if modern synthetic oils dry out as quickly as older types?

Craftsman
    Why didn’t I think of foam! Thank you.

And watch winders certainly are a dividing subject.
    My watches are not vintage though With the oldest being 3 years old.

Watch winders are useful for checking the timekeeping and power reserve without having to wear the watch though. Well thats what I use mine for.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

If folks are too lazy to set and wind a watch when they want to wear it maybe they should stick to quartz?

Paul
    Steady on.

My Elmamotion winder has a 'speed winding' setting whereby it runs continuously for one hour before returning to timed operation.
    I generally only wear my mechanical watches during the weekend, so on a Friday evening give the chosen watch a speedwind before setting and wearing it. Sufficiently pre-wound, the watch is still running on Saturday morning.
    Admittedly it is the only use I have for my winder and don't use it for all my automatics, but it does avoid manual winding of mostly my ETA 2824 watches.

To address the original post: As an alternative to foam have you considered using an elastic band? Whatever you use just ensure that the winder cover doesn't interfere with the watch when you close it. Also best avoid anything too heavy so as not to overload the winder motor.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 15th February 2018 at 10:43.