closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The best dog ever

Master

The best dog ever

So, once again we had to put another family pet to sleep. She had a great life and lived to the ripe old age of 16. She was the best Jack Russell Terror ever and tough as nails. It was her time and we felt it was the best thing but I don't think my heart feels the same.

Every time we put a family pet to sleep it feels like the world ends and time has changed. I have many elderly neighbors who have had their share of family pets and the reasons why they don't want to handle the worst decision a person can make again and I think I can understand as I get older.

I think I am at that point where it just takes too much and the decision just wears your emotions I am curious how many feel the same? I think the loss outweigh the benefits now and we do have another dog and that decision is going to come again sadly.

Master
    Sorry for your loss. We now have a puppy (had her 8 months now) and hopefully she will live a long and healthy life, but the thought of losing her one day is a depressing one. She’s the first dog I have had for 30 years. After I lost my last dog (and my best friend) I vowed not to have another but when I heard about our new dog having been dumped in a garden at 8 weeks old I had to give her a loving home.

So sorry to hear this,very sad news.

Sorry for such a short post, myself and the family have always had JRT's your post just brings all the heartache back. After this JR, my Maxwell, I really don't think I can do it again.
    Last edited by Zephyr; 16th February 2018 at 12:44.

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post

I think I am at that point where it just takes too much and the decision just wears your emotions I am curious how many feel the same? I think the loss outweigh the benefits now and we do have another dog and that decision is going to come again sadly.
    A colleague has just gone through similar a couple of weeks ago where their 12 year old fit and healthy Lab suddenly became very ill and had to make a very tough decision, which really knocked the family sideways. He felt the same about the loss outweighing the benefits, although I'm sure it's only short term grieving, as years of companionship should outweigh your current feelings.

My thoughts are with you...

My 17 year old cat is reaching the end, bad kidneys, limping badly, can't go outside anymore and making a mess on the floor. I'm still finding it very hard to make the call to end her life. Even though it may be the right thing to do I still fell awkward playing god :(

Poor Marbles

We've had 2 cats put to sleep in the last 6 months. One was 13 years and had cancer so the decision wasn't difficult but the other was only 3 years old and the most wonderful cat we've ever had, the vet thought he'd been poisoned with anti-freeze. That was very difficult.

Incidentally, both cost us more than £500 each in treatment before the vet recommended euthenasia.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Had our dog put to sleep 3 weeks ago, he was only 9, stupid cancer, had him since a pup from Dogs Trust. It really is devastating.

We will definitely be getting another, eventually, house seems so empty without him. Would get a rescue dog again, but as we now have 2 youngish kids (7&5). as well as 2 cats, it probably best if we get a puppy.

Master
    Feel for you.

Thirteen years ago I had to say goodbye to Smith , my dog and shooting companion for fourteen years. My wife, who was suffering from terminal cancer insisted we got another Brittany. My wife was a very clever lady, she knew I would need a dog for when she went. Three years later she died, leaving my completely alone, no family, virtually no friends, only my dog. Wesson saved my life, we grieved together, we were never apart longer then a couple of hours for eight years. I loved that dog. Then at church I met a lady who after a few months I married at the age of 75. Wesson took to her big time, he seemed relieved that now there was someone else to help look after the old codger.

Nine months ago we had to say goodbye to Wesson, it was almost that he thought his work getting me through was done.

He cannot be replaced, I borrow my next door neighbours English Collie twice a day for walks, it"s good, he is a lovely dog, but he aint my Wesson.

Excuse typos.......the keyboard is getting very blurry.

P.S. He is the dog that started the "My dog thread on this forum" now approaching !70,000 hits.

Quite a pertinent thread as our family dog was put down only this Monday gone.

She was 3 when we adopted her from Wood Green Animal Shelter in 2003 when I was a child, put down at just under 18 years old. She was a short-haired collie with some whippet genes in her.

I'm fortunate in that it hasn't affected me emotionally as much as it might have done for some but she had been slowly becoming more debilitated over the last 3 years so I think I had taken that time to come to terms with the fact she was on her way out / gone through the grieving process early.

It won't put me off getting another dog though, I can't imagine ever not wanting one.

Feel for you - been there recently. So sorry fella - take care.

Blog Entries
    So sorry to hear you lost a friend.
    Lost Barley our cocker spaniel at 13(my avatar) 4 years ago and it still feels raw. We have Freddie now, another spanner, and he's great but still think about our old dog most days.

So sorry to hear this John, you haven't mentioned it.

It's heartbreaking but our pets give us so much more in return.

Been through it several times and it's never any easier.

All the best my friend.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Really sorry to hear your news.... Putting down a pet is a heartbreaking thing to have to do... I just can’t imagine my home without the boys buzzing around in it...

I wouldn't want to without a dog for any length of time... they become part of your routine and add so much joy to your daily life

My family were at the seaside without me on Tuesday... I asked for pictures and she sent me pics of the dogs running about on thr beach... she didn’t send me any pics of thr kids!

Very sorry to hear of your loss. It is so hard to go through, we lost our 5 year old golden retriever to cancer almost 12 months ago and the thought of it still brings me to tears now. We found out at Christmas 2016 after she started limping, kept her drugged up on pain meds for 3 months but every single day was painful and to wake up every day wondering if you're doing the right thing, and should today be 'the day' - so hard.

It is painful, but the years of joy they bring you is so worth it in my mind. No need to make a decision this minute, see how you feel in a few weeks/months. I didn't intend to get another dog to replace her (how can you), but in the end we got a little bedlington terrier about a month or so later and love her to bits. Still miss all of my old pets, but with time you look back and remember all the great times you spent together and accept that every living thing is only around for however long they are around. We talk about her all the time, laughing, and sometimes a little teary, but if I had to choose between going through such a tough time and the heartache we were left with and not having had her at all - it's not even a question.

Thoughts are with you. Remember the good times and accept there's nothing you or anybody can do to control the cycle of life... You can only opt in or opt out of being their loving keeper while they are here.

So sorry to hear about your loss mate, we've had our dog for 3 years now and I'd be gutted beyond words if anything happened to her...part of the family and give so much. All the very best moving forward

I thought I was going to be in the same boat just before Christmas - but our dog "picked up" and we seem to have another chance for a few months...

I'm so sorry for your loss....

Craftsman
    So sorry. Went through it with Pip our border terrier when he was 14 (in 2015), we'd had him since he was a puppy......remember him most days and get tearful if I dwell. Felt the same way as you - took me over a year before we decided that we should get another one - a rescue border terrier called Brock who is wonderful.

Master
    its funny i still remember getting home from university the weekend after our labrador had been put to sleep, she lived to 13 and never got old looking, she was the most beautiful dog, i grieved that weekend like i never had before or have since,

there is something about the loyalty, reliance and nature of a good dog that makes losing one very very traumatic.

Master
    Sorry for your loss mate. we had to put our eldest dog to sleep last saturday, he'd have been 18 in april. we are heartbroken, had since 1yrs old from rspca. i know how you feel, the pain of it makes you think you cant go though it again. We have another dog and shell be 13 in june. i hope she doesnt go too soon or i think my heart will burst. but, there are so many lovely dogs that need a loving home, that and we love dogs too much not to have them in our life. im sure youll make the right decision for you; give it time.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

The price we pay for that immeasurable loyalty is, eventually, unfathomable sadness. I have been there twice. My thoughts are with you. Perhaps a time will come when you are ready and willing to start the journey again.
    J

Craftsman
    Feel for you Sir - I know when it is time for my pooch I will be devastated x

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Lost my Rescue Dogue de Bordeaux to a massive stroke about 7 years ago. Had dogs all my life but have never been able to replace him as he was my 24 hr companion. Still keep an eye on the Rehoming trust but have never been able to commit to another. Just couldn't face the loss again.

Master
    I'm not much of a dog person, (I prefer cats for some reason, always have) but I feel your pain. There's a poem by Kipling on the subject that never fails to move me:

THERE is sorrow enough in the natural way
    From men and women to fill our day;
    And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
    Why do we always arrange for more?
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    Buy a pup and your money will buy
    Love unflinching that cannot lie
    Perfect passion and worship fed
    By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
    Nevertheless it is hardly fair
    To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
    Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
    And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
    To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
    Then you will find - it's your own affair, -
    But ... you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
    With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!),
    When the spirit that answered your every mood
    Is gone - wherever it goes - for good,
    You will discover how much you care,
    And will give your heart to a dog to tear!

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
    When it comes to burying Christian clay.
    Our loves are not given, but only lent,
    At compound interest of cent per cent,
    Though it is not always the case, I believe,
    That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve;
    For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
    A short-time loan is as bad as a long -
    So why in - Heaven (before we are there)
    Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

(I hope it's ok to post)

Craftsman
    My cat get very old not look forward to that day.
    Last edited by Dandandanman; 18th February 2018 at 10:15.

Deleted.
    Last edited by 200mwaterresistant; 18th February 2018 at 13:42.