closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Keith Floyd and chef's watches

Master

Keith Floyd and chef's watches

I was watching Saturday kitchen and noticed how celebrity chef's like to appear on telly with a pretty substantial watch on, usually jangling around the back of the hand in what I call the 'footballer' position. This got me thinking that wearing a watch whilst cooking is actually a proper tool use of a watch rather then just trying to look flash on the telly. Then lo and behold keith floyd appears on the screen wearing TWO watches. A nice looking number like some non-diver Rolex on the top of his wrist and higher up his arm a mil style watch on a cloth strap, interestingly with the watch head on the other side of the arm. I guess the mil look watch is his timer.

Don't laugh but so far the only thing I have used the bezel for on my PRS-14 is to set when to put the kettle on, and when to check the oven etc. I am finding a rotating bezel to be a very useful cooking tool.

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Re: Keith Floyd and chef's watches

Gordon Ramsay wears some expensive looking pieces, not sure what they are tho

Derek
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey
    Gordon Ramsay wears some expensive looking pieces, not sure what they are tho

Derek
    Breitling, usually, including an interesting yellow-dialled 3-6-9 chrono which looks like a special edition. James Martin (or is it Martin James?) wears a big Omega, amongst other things. And Heston Services wears something large and square that looks like a Jacob & Co during his Christmas spesh.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

I believe Ramsay is wearing a range of Breitlings at least thats what it says here.

http://www.breitlingsource.com/ambas...ebrities.shtml

Thomas

Since I meet a lot of pro chefs in my current job, I can confirm that "expensive" watches are worn by a lot of them. Most popular answer when asked about the watches is "I wanted to treat myself to something good", not timekeeping matters as one would presume.

Anyway, back to the inevitable :lol: :lol: :lol: :

The 103 St Sa and the UX go well with lasagna, too:

Master

Aaaaaand now I'm hungry again :mrgreen:

Cheers Onkel C.

Thomas

Gordon Ramsay has worn Breitlings but the watch he wears on Kitchen Nightmares is an Asprey No.8 Chronograph so I'm lead to believe from a previous discussion on the subject :)

http://www.asprey.com/

I found a couple of pics of Ramsay wearing his Asprey :)

Master

Onkel you are a star. I have a bad cold and your pic's have cheered me up no end. We both have the same sense of humour.

Master

The times I have seen Keith Floyd on telly he was wearing a Datejust.

I only watch Saturday kitchen to watch spot.

The Hairy Bikers had matching Breitlings on a couple of weeks back

Master

I thought so, a man with taste. The hairy bikers are probably a better advert for Breitling then the usual celebs. I would imagine their trips half way round the world on motorbikes whilst cooking is a pretty good test for a time piece.

BTW I also noticed this weekend that at the end of every Grand Prix, Kimi puts a substantial toolish looking watch on. None of the other top drivers seem to do this. This is the sort of product placement that I hate.

Quote Originally Posted by NJH
    I thought so, a man with taste. The hairy bikers are probably a better advert for Breitling then the usual celebs. I would imagine their trips half way round the world on motorbikes whilst cooking is a pretty good test for a time piece.

BTW I also noticed this weekend that at the end of every Grand Prix, Kimi puts a substantial toolish looking watch on. None of the other top drivers seem to do this. This is the sort of product placement that I hate.
    I don't know about this season because I haven't seen either race yet but last season Lewis Hamilton put on his orange Tag after every race, I've also seen other drivers do it.

Master

Oh well I guess I haven't been paying enough attention. Still don't like it though. I guess at least it demonstrates champagne proofness :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by NJH
    Oh well I guess I haven't been paying enough attention. Still don't like it though. I guess at least it demonstrates champagne proofness :lol:
    :D

Master
    Old old thread, but watching the new hairy bikers show and it looks like one of them is doing his cooking with an LV or something on his wrist.

Last edited by hafle; 5th January 2018 at 00:48.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Old old thread, but watching the new hairy bikers show and it looks like one of them is doing his cooking with an LV or something on his wrist.
    Yep, I saw that too. Although I liked the Ducatis better...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob998 View Post
    Yep, I saw that too. Although I liked the Ducatis better...
    We are a sad bunch :D

Journeyman
    We are a sad bunch :D
    And I'm new at this stuff!

Keith Floyd and chef's watches

I’ve heard (I forget where) that expensive watches are favoured amongst top chefs as their watch is their only real choice of attire, given the whites they have to wear whilst at work.

Obviously, if cooking for TV they won’t be liveried, but one wouldn’t likely be on TV without having worked in a restaurant. (I presume)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric356II View Post
    I don't know about this season because I haven't seen either race yet but last season Lewis Hamilton put on his orange Tag after every race, I've also seen other drivers do it.

I thought the Mercedes team were sponsored by IWC. I can’t see Hamilton wearing a TAG.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    I thought the Mercedes team were sponsored by IWC. I can’t see Hamilton wearing a TAG.
    Except that post was from 2008(!) when LH drove for McLaren who were sponsored by Tag at the time. There’s a few LH special edition Tags out there

Think Floyd was ex-RTR so it would be no surprise if he had something on a Nato.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    I’ve heard (I forget where) that expensive watches are favoured amongst top chefs as their watch is their only real choice of attire, given the whites they have to wear whilst at work.

Obviously, if cooking for TV they won’t be liveried, but one wouldn’t likely be on TV without having worked in a restaurant. (I presume)
    in a commercial kitchen, jewelery is just a hygiene risk and should be removed. Although bizarrely the guidelines are that a wedding band is acceptable.

Master
    I have often wondered if these chefs are sponsored by watch companies. It seems like an ideal opportunity for the likes of Rolex and Breitling to get their watches on full view.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Except that post was from 2008(!) when LH drove for McLaren who were sponsored by Tag at the time. There’s a few LH special edition Tags out there
    Yes, now that makes sense

Journeyman
    Watched Saturday kitchen this morning, Matt Tebbut what looked like a black Monaco on a nato?
    Wife did comment on the hygiene of the whole thing! thoughts

Scottie

Master
    James Martin very often wears a Daytona. I've seen him wear a couple of variations

Martin's expenseive watch habit is known, he's predictably, the same with cars. Ramsey wore a modern Breitling for years but last time I saw him in the media he was sporting a ghost bezel maxi sub, same as his bestie Beckham.
    Floyd always wore an understated white dialed Rolex Oyster/bracelet.
    Most of this TV cooks lot use expensive watches as man status jewellery, even as a young stripling apprentice butcher, rings, virtue signal bands, bangles (yes, grown men) were verboten.

I bought Martins Oris 70 and sold on here a few years back
    My local independent has sold him a few, I think
    I had a Navitimer that belonged to John Cleese once too.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I bought Martins Oris 70 and sold on here a few years back
    My local independent has sold him a few, I think
    I had a Navitimer that belonged to John Cleese once too.
    Saw Cleese on TV with his modern Navitimer/blue stitched (same as the one in SC now?) a while ago.
    Hammond has one too, thats about the long & the short of it.

While on about a Cleese watch, I've pointed out before that in the 2nd Fawlty Towers series he wears a silver dial 1040 Seamaster 176.007 on leather.

Master

They sure make some cash these celeb Chefs hafle, the hairy bikers wore White dialled Breitling Colts whenever i watched them, watch out for the Patek's!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    They sure make some cash these celeb Chefs hafle, the hairy bikers wore White dialled Breitling Colts whenever i watched them, watch out for the Patek's!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Dave used to wear a Breitling but looks like book sales are healthy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    Martin's expenseive watch habit is known, he's predictably, the same with cars.
    Yes, James Martin has worn a great selection of watches on TV, including 'Saturday Kitchen' in the past.

He got a 'Paul Newman' Rolex Daytona as a present from his then-Girlfriend - Barbara Broccoli, the Producer/Owner of the 'James Bond' film franchaise.

Feeling dreadfully oppressed () he dumped her because she insisted upon showering him with gifts, including three Picasso paintings, and a £180,000 Aston Martin...

I'm really loathe to link to the Daily Mail, but the full story is here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz4SGdaJ6Yt

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    James Martin very often wears a Daytona. I've seen him wear a couple of variations
    Just watching him now, and he has an LV on.... I wonder if he knows it’s worth £10k

Banned
    IMG_4797.JPG

I love this guys ( Hugh fearnley whittingstall ) shows ( river cottage )and love that he wears he’s tag f1 with pride

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Yes, James Martin has worn a great selection of watches on TV, including 'Saturday Kitchen' in the past.

He got a 'Paul Newman' Rolex Daytona as a present from his then-Girlfriend - Barbara Broccoli, the Producer/Owner of the 'James Bond' film franchaise.

Feeling dreadfully oppressed () he dumped her because she insisted upon showering him with gifts, including three Picasso paintings, and a £180,000 Aston Martin...

I'm really loathe to link to the Daily Mail, but the full story is here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz4SGdaJ6Yt
    They missed a great headline there. "TV Chef Martin gives Broccoli the chop" would have been my choice.

He then went on to date Sally Kettle, the bloke certainly loves the kitchen.

Keith Floyd - a legend for many reasons. A white-faced DateJust was his main watch. I just hope it managed to find its way to his son or daughter, although I doubt it, after four wives and several bankruptcies.

That's a proper drag on a fag, a snifter and a coffee on the go too.