closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Aston Martin and Tag Heuer

Apprentice

Aston Martin and Tag Heuer

Is this as cringe as Breitling and Bentley or even more cringe? I am undecided.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by CalicoJack View Post
    The Gaydon Vantage’s, Vanquish and DB9s have a perfectly good clock park just north of 3rd gear. No additional timepiece is required.

As as a fashion accessory or for telling time while out and about, any personal choice will do.

The cost saving on not buying a matching AM branded Tag will get you a few months worth of useful petrol

Journeyman
    Or to put it a better way, those that have the car tend tend not to be compelled to buy AM branded accessories.

How successful was the JLC partnership with AM? I thought some of the designs that emulated the dash dial design were clever and the built in transponder to lock and unlock your car was an early internet of things / wearable technology innovation. But how many actually sold and were they to AM owners? Whilst the JLC / AM partnership made some sense from a brand cache perspective, I don’t see TH and AM being on the same level in terms of brand value. It’s an odd partnership in my mind and smacks of convenience rather than strategic alignment.

Aston Martin are doing some great things right now. Andy Palmer has been a much-needed injection of true car enthusiasm and business acumen, and it’s lovely to see the vision and the first of the new models.

As much as I appreciate the Heuer heritage, links to motorsport and classic models like the Monaco and Carrera, is TH an aspirational brand as much as AM is an aspirational brand?

Do any of our AM owning members have a view?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I'd venture that the only people that have ever cringed about Breitling and Bentley are watch "enthusiasts" on web forums (especially those trying to get their post-count up) and a few die-hard vintage Bentley owners that bemoan the day W.O.Bentley left the company in the 1930's. Breitling for Bentley is the most successful automotive watch partnership of all time and came at a time of transformation for both brands. You may not like it, but watch buyers (as opposed to keyboard warriors) around the world prove they disagree with their wallets.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    It’s an odd partnership in my mind and smacks of convenience rather than strategic alignment. TZ-UK mobile app
    It smacks of money. Little else. They made very little money from the JLC partnership and the one thing Aston Martin and AMR need more than anything right now is money.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    I'd venture that the only people that have ever cringed about Breitling and Bentley are watch "enthusiasts" on web forums (especially those trying to get their post-count up) and a few die-hard vintage Bentley owners that bemoan the day W.O.Bentley left the company in the 1930's. Breitling for Bentley is the most successful automotive watch partnership of all time and came at a time of transformation for both brands. You may not like it, but watch buyers (as opposed to keyboard warriors) around the world prove they disagree with their wallets.
    Defensive much?

Craftsman
    Defensive much?
    Oh come on. With 18 comments you're hardly a forum stalwart. You can't expect to simply throw out an opinion and then resort to confrontation and childish one liners when someone uses facts as a counterpoint to your opinion. Grow up.

Apprentice
    Oh come on. With 18 comments you're hardly a forum stalwart. You can't expect to simply throw out an opinion and then resort to confrontation and childish one liners when someone uses facts as a counterpoint to your opinion. Grow up.
    You’re the one who pulled out the ad hominem in response to a position you don’t like.

Craftsman
    You’re the one who pulled out the ad hominem in response to a position you don’t like.
    You are entitled to your opinion about anything watch and brand related. You did not state in your original post that Breitling for Bentley was cringeworthy in your opinion. You stated it as if it were a commonly held belief. Among Breitling owners on this and other forums and among those who consider themselves informed on such things perhaps they do believe that the partnership was inappropriate for both or either brand as some will about TAG and Aston Martin. The fact is that the project has been hugely successful for both brands, accounting for more than 40% of Breitling revenues in its early years. Well over a hundred thousand people have bought a Breitling for Bentley watch.

My statement holds, I believe, that while you believe it is "a cringe" many of the watch buying public do not. Personally, I find many if not most of the watches in the range rather tasteless but the brand alliance would appear to have achieved most of its goals for both brands over the past 15 years.

Does this tie in have any connections to the the Red Bull F1 Team? They currently use Tag branded Renault engines and AM are a sponsor of the team. Quite how the Tag/AM relationship will pan out if AM ever do become an engine supplier to RB will be interesting.

Apprentice
    Is it not self evident that a statement made here is opinion especially when expressing an emotional state; how could anyone express the factual emotional state of everyone?

Commercial success does not make something any less cringeworthy. I give you the Kardashians in incontrovertible proof.

And finally, I’m not sure how you conclude that a tenure of more time opining on stuff like carbon fibre and headwear, to pick one example, would necessarily improve the quality of the opinions proffered.

Craftsman
    Commercial success does not make something any less cringeworthy. I give you the Kardashians in incontrovertible proof.
    How can it be incontrovertible proof? Is there a universal measure of cringeworthiness I'm unaware of? You may find the Kardashians cringeworthy but this is not a universally held opinion. That they are successful does not make them any less cringeworthy TO YOU. Others may agree, many do not. Similarly, many find the association between any two brands cringeworthy. It does not make it a universal truth because there is no way to measure it. Piers Morgan makes my skin scrawl. My Mother records all his interviews because she likes him enough to repeatedly watch them. Neither of us is "right" except in our own minds surely.

Craftsman
    Back on topic, I would suspect that an introduction or discussion with TAG came via the Red Bull F1 connection and the potential three-way future relationship of Aston Martin Racing sponsorship, Aston Martin branded watches and some level of F1 branding with Aston Martin Red Bull Racing is being thrashed out behind closed doors.

I personally don’t like ‘top end’ car branded collaborations (watches, clothing, luggage etc.), it just shouts ‘look at what I drive’ (or ‘what I want you to think I drive’).

I wouldn’t wear one.

Apprentice
    How can it be incontrovertible proof? Is there a universal measure of cringeworthiness I'm unaware of? You may find the Kardashians cringeworthy but this is not a universally held opinion. That they are successful does not make them any less cringeworthy TO YOU. Others may agree, many do not. Similarly, many find the association between any two brands cringeworthy. It does not make it a universal truth because there is no way to measure it. Piers Morgan makes my skin scrawl. My Mother records all his interviews because she likes him enough to repeatedly watch them. Neither of us is "right" except in our own minds surely.
    Could you possibly take yourself any more seriously?

Craftsman
    Could you possibly take yourself any more seriously?
    Could you be any more of a Troll?

Apprentice
    Could you be any more of a Troll?
    “Disagreeing with me makes you a troll”

Good argument there buddy.

Journeyman
    How successful was the JLC partnership with AM? I thought some of the designs that emulated the dash dial design were clever and the built in transponder to lock and unlock your car was an early internet of things / wearable technology innovation. But how many actually sold and were they to AM owners? Whilst the JLC / AM partnership made some sense from a brand cache perspective, I don’t see TH and AM being on the same level in terms of brand value. It’s an odd partnership in my mind and smacks of convenience rather than strategic alignment.

Aston Martin are doing some great things right now. Andy Palmer has been a much-needed injection of true car enthusiasm and business acumen, and it’s lovely to see the vision and the first of the new models.

As much as I appreciate the Heuer heritage, links to motorsport and classic models like the Monaco and Carrera, is TH an aspirational brand as much as AM is an aspirational brand?

I think the JLC Amovox’s were well suited to the AM brand. They were not obvious marketing ploys like the Tag. However, although I liked the idea of wearing a door key remote, the watches - although elegant in form didn’t do anything to me in terms of the watch face. If JLC had produced something similar to say the Polaris - Elegant lines, de-cluttered and analogue in nature, with a transponder, I would have jumped in immediately.

I think the other thing about the JLC-AM partnership is no one made any money out of it. The AM-Tag-RB relationship is all about the F1 money and this time around, Tag-RB will be giving giving AM a financial lift - even though the watch and the beverage are in my opinion a load of cr@p!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    I personally don’t like ‘top end’ car branded collaborations (watches, clothing, luggage etc.), it just shouts ‘look at what I drive’ (or ‘what I want you to think I drive’).

I wouldn’t wear one.
    Out of interest, what car do you drive or what car do you want us to think you drive ed335d?

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Out of interest, what car do you drive or what car do you want us to think you drive ed335d?
    I know, throwback to BMW owning days!

AM V8V now.

Journeyman
    Offering a personal opinion and not “wishing to go on about it”, I think there are several views on this....

1. I used to like Breitling but a couple of quality/sales experiences let me down. However, the Breitling for Bentleys to me are simply too large as watches go.....and too blingy. Wearing a B4B and getting into a Conti GT - nah! Does not look good. May as well wear one of those yellow golfing jumper with the diamond pattern on the front as well to set the scene properly. This cannot be unseen.

2. I imagine that those lucky enough to own a Conti GT because of 1 above will not combine the two together. You don’t need club-house bragging rights showing brand loyalty with a B4B. You just drive away instead.

3. Those who cant afford or want to own a Bentley but invest in a B4B - well I say good for them if that is what you desire. Not my taste...but no general taste rules broken. Wear what takes your fancy!

Master
    Those first generation amvox models were lovely imo. Had the chance to buy one once for a crazily low price but didnt Now they go for approx £4k. TAG? Not for me. The JLC affiliation was perfect in branding terms but I guess the money involved will be useful.

Blog Entries
    I own the limited edition Boctoc for Lada and really think I'm looking as sharp as ever when sitting behind my steering wheel, arm casually leaning on the window frame.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I own the limited edition Boctoc for Lada and really think I'm looking as sharp as ever when sitting behind my steering wheel, arm casually leaning on the window frame.
    Careful, you’ll bend the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post

Flash b******! I'll bet you'll be wearing RMWs as well . . .
    F.T.F.A.

This one’s rather fetching

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post

I wouldn’t wear one.
    I think Porsche Design does the collaborations well and I am happy to wear PD clothing because they are amazing fabric / performance although that said I don’t drive a Porsche. Somehow the branding (also have Adidas logo on them) doesn’t suggest to me you are trying to suggest you have a Porsche.

Also the long history of Porsche Design making various non-car items helps I think. Although
    I can see it being a little harder to feel this way if you did own a Porsche...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Flash b******! I'll bet you'll be wearing RMWs as well . . .

All quality stuff it is then ;)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Journeyman
    This partnership is a bit disappointing from my perspective, the Valkyrie looks like it'll be incredible and Aston Martin overall appear to have momentum. But the design trends of the two brands are contradictory, Valkyrie is clearly extremely functional whereas Tags of late have been increasingly decorative/ branding based. Or maybe I'm just upset as the JLC transponder and a DBS was possibly the greatest combination of all time...

Quote Originally Posted by Guycord View Post
    Offering a personal opinion and not “wishing to go on about it”, I think there are several views on this....

1. I used to like Breitling but a couple of quality/sales experiences let me down. However, the Breitling for Bentleys to me are simply too large as watches go.....and too blingy. Wearing a B4B and getting into a Conti GT - nah! Does not look good. May as well wear one of those yellow golfing jumper with the diamond pattern on the front as well to set the scene properly. This cannot be unseen.

2. I imagine that those lucky enough to own a Conti GT because of 1 above will not combine the two together. You don’t need club-house bragging rights showing brand loyalty with a B4B. You just drive away instead.

3. Those who cant afford or want to own a Bentley but invest in a B4B - well I say good for them if that is what you desire. Not my taste...but no general taste rules broken. Wear what takes your fancy!
    As someone once pointed out, the Venn Diagram of people who own Ferraris and people who own Ferrari merchandise is two separate circles.