closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New 'vintage' watch - Seamaster 60th, JLC Tribute to Deep Sea or something else?

Craftsman

New 'vintage' watch - Seamaster 60th, JLC Tribute to Deep Sea or something else?

I've a couple of vintage watches which are probably a little too delicate to be wearing every day, so I'm thinking about buying something more modern which still has a vintage style and keep my old watches for occasional wears.

I'm thinking of either a new Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary or spend a little more and find a used JLC tribute to Deep Sea (memovox).

I'm guessing I'll have to pay list for the Seamaster (£5200) and a probably a chunk more for the JLC (£8,000?). Is that about right?

Would the JLC hold value better, given it would already be used to an established secondhand market? Given the 60th Seamaster is a close copy of the original, do we think Omega are going to do loads of new editions once this sells out?

Are there any alternatives to these I may have missed (I have a late 70's SeaDweller and 1972 Speedmaster Pro)?

Any opinions on either watch?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No experience bar having a good nose and a try on but the tribute is a very attractive watch and seems to be well made. Out of the two I prefer it.

Hi I am lucky enough to have a JLC and its a fine watch. Alas I think you might struggle to find one for less than £10k as only 962 (memovox) were made. Plus I found mine quite fragile as the Plex is plastic and suspectable to scratches. Great watch all the same, but not a daily wearer.

For the sort of money you are talking, I think I might try to find a nice 666 seadweller (or later) or a 16750/16700 GMT - both are very robust and both will continue to increase in value.

Alternatively have a look at the recent Blancpain Fiftyfathoms.

Personally I would not go for yet another Omega re-issue.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    I have my eye on the same JLC (with sapphire glass?). Model number Q2068570 not a Ltd Edn I think?

there are some available on the second hand market - well within what you said - but you’ll need to find them yourself!

jlc page: http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/eu/e...h/2068570.html
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 13th February 2018 at 16:21.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I have my eye on the same JLC (with sapphire glass?). Model number Q2068570 not a Ltd Edn I think?

there are some available on the second hand market - well within what you said - but you’ll need to find them yourself!
    That's the Chronograph I think - I'd want the alarm version which is indeed limited.

Prices have crept up, so I'll kick myself for not buying one at £6k a few years ago - I would hope I could still get one for under 10k though.

I've had a vintage GMT and have a 1665 Seadweller so fancy something different; the Blancpains always seemed a bit big to me, although I've never tried one on!

Master
    Like another member, I was looking at the JLC but in the end went with the Zenith Careilli re-edition. It's a stunner!

Master
    Depends how much money you want to spend I think the Longine 67’ Chrono Diver is excellent

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maxf View Post
    That's the Chronograph I think - I'd want the alarm version which is indeed limited.

Prices have crept up, so I'll kick myself for not buying one at £6k a few years ago - I would hope I could still get one for under 10k though.

I've had a vintage GMT and have a 1665 Seadweller so fancy something different; the Blancpains always seemed a bit big to me, although I've never tried one on!
    Ah! Ok. What about that model instead of the alarm version. Or there is the Zenith El tipio 03.2240.4069/21.C774

http://m.zenith-watches.com/en_en_m/...tipo-cp-2.html

Journeyman
    How about the new Polaris memovox? Gonna be a while before you can get one 2nd hand though

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Here you go https://www.chrono24.co.uk/jaegerlec...-id7739472.htm

seems like a good deal.

Actually there were 959 made. I knew there was a Porsche reference, but couldnt remember which one

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche