closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Notice Period & New job

Notice Period & New job

I've been offered a new job and submitted my formal resignation on Friday (all amicable). I'm on 13 weeks notice which takes me into 11th May.

New company are happy to wait but I did advise it may be negotiable.

Current company asking if I want to work my 3 months and do the new company want me any earlier. I'm happy to do so to be honest but open to earlier. I 'think' it may be in my current company's best interest for me to go before end of March (end of financial year). If I was to go before then at their request would I be entitled to my full 13 weeks notice pay? Due to Easter, I wouldn't be able to start the following week so don't want to go without pay. Any earlier may be a struggle due to being away 22-27 March.

Any thoughts? Just want to ensure I don't have a period where I'm not paid. I suppose I'm only thinking this based on a perception of them wanting to me to leave before FY end.

Also - I have a company car. If I leave earlier, would I be entitled to any monies for giving this up before the end of my notice? I'll be carless for a period (new car order)

Master
    If you mutually agree with your current employer to vary the terms of your contract, I would say it's a question of whatever you agree. If they want rid of you sooner than the end of 13 weeks then they can offer to pay you off.

Again, you're entitled to whatever your contract says re the company car - unless you negotiate something different.

I'd have a good read of your contract.

If your current employer is acting reasonably, I wouldn't push too hard. Better to leave on good terms.
    Last edited by David_D; 13th February 2018 at 13:05.

Master
    Will you have earned the extra money you seek? Let's not forget it was you that ended the relationship.

I'd seize the opportunity to start your new job early and leave the current with payment for work done on good terms.

Sounds like your employer is keen to move on and get a fresh start into the position. If that aligns with your new employer's schedule - go ahead!

Keeps both sides sweet, and stops your interest from flagging in the current employment.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    If you mutually agree with your current employer to vary the terms of your contract, I would say it's a question of whatever you agree. If they want rid of you sooner than the end of 13 weeks then they can offer to pay you off.

Again, you're entitled to whatever your contract says re the company car - unless you negotiate something different.

I'd have a good read if your contract.

If your current employer is acting reasonably, I wouldn't push too hard. Better to leave on good terms.
    Its all good, all mutual and good terms. I just think (based on what has happened with previous leavers) that the 31st March is a good date for the company - but not me personally. I'm, happy to do it if it helps them but obviously don't want to be out of pocket.

Whatever happens will all be amicable - we've had all the good chats etc

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Will you have earned the extra money you seek? Let's not forget it was you that ended the relationship.

I'd seize the opportunity to start your new job early and leave the current with payment for work done on good terms.
    Let me clarify - I'm not seeking any additional money as such. I'm happy to work my full notice but would happily go early

I can't afford to be without pay for a period. So if they wanted me to go on 31st March, I wouldn't be able to start until 9th April (at earliest - new company date not mine) so would be a period without pay. I only have 3 options of start dates at the new company. 2 post 31st March and the third post my notice period which is no good for me as I can't afford to be without pay then.

I'd happily finish as soon as possible and start as soon as possible but it's complicated further by the available start dates and Easter

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Its all good, all mutual and good terms. I just think (based on what has happened with previous leavers) that the 31st March is a good date for the company - but not me personally. I'm, happy to do it if it helps them but obviously don't want to be out of pocket.
    I'd have thought if they prefer you off their books by 31st March they won'y want to be paying you past that date.

Not sure how you think you'll be out of pocket.

If you leave one employer to go to another, the new one will be paying you earlier and the past one will stop sooner.

Why would you expect to be being paid by both at the same time?

I guess if they're desperate to be rid of you by March 31st, they may choose to make some kind of encouragement payment, but otherwise I don't see why they'd pay you to work for someone else or why you'd expect them to really.

If you can't start in your new job until a few days later (we're talking, what, one day of public holiday - Easter Monday?), then work your notice.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Not sure how you think you'll be out of pocket.

If you leave one employer to go to another, the new one will be paying you earlier and the past one will stop sooner.

Why would you expect to be being paid by both at the same time?

I guess if they're desperate to be rid of you by March 31st, they may choose to make some kind of encouragement payment, but otherwise I don't see why they'd pay you to work for someone else or why you'd expect them to really.

If you can't start in your new job until a few days later (we're talking, what, one day of public holiday - Easter Monday?), then work your notice.

M.
    I did wonder whether it was wise to post my thread initially. Not so sure I should have now.

The company aren't desperate to get rid of me. It is our Financial Year end on the 31st March. I know previously we have had people leave on this date as it is more beneficial to the company to not have people roll over into the following year. Why this is, I don't know, but it is the case (the bonus scheme has been mentioned previously, i.e. if you're employed 1st April you're entitled to previous years bonus regardless).

IF this is the case then I wouldn't be being paid by 2 companies. Because I wouldn't be able to start until the 9th April at the earliest, possibly the 23rd (new company guidelines). So if I was to go 31/3 - I'd be without pay for a week at least.

I'm happy to work my notice - I'd asked the question on the possible thought my company may ask me to leave by the end of the FY. This may be an incorrect perception on my part and if so then I didn't need to raise it. As I would finish say 6th April and start 9th (or 20th/23rd).

I'd seek clarification in this case on payment as for me I wouldn't want to remain unpaid for any amount of time.

In my segment if someone left for a competitor we'd typically have them on gardening leave for their notice period
    I did wonder whether it was wise to post my thread initially. Not so sure I should have now.

The company aren't desperate to get rid of me. It is our Financial Year end on the 31st March. I know previously we have had people leave on this date as it is more beneficial to the company to not have people roll over into the following year. Why this is, I don't know, but it is the case (the bonus scheme has been mentioned previously, i.e. if you're employed 1st April you're entitled to previous years bonus regardless).

IF this is the case then I wouldn't be being paid by 2 companies. Because I wouldn't be able to start until the 9th April at the earliest, possibly the 23rd (new company guidelines). So if I was to go 31/3 - I'd be without pay for a week at least.

I'm happy to work my notice - I'd asked the question on the possible thought my company may ask me to leave by the end of the FY. This may be an incorrect perception on my part and if so then I didn't need to raise it. As I would finish say 6th April and start 9th (or 20th/23rd).

Master
    ... but it is the case (the bonus scheme has been mentioned previously, i.e. if you're employed 1st April you're entitled to previous years bonus regardless)
    Unusual but if them's the rules it would be sensible to hang around for 6 weeks.

Craftsman
    Sounds like if you agree to leave earlier in the notice period then you'd be stopping all payments and benefits on the day you leave. If you aren't keen on doing so then work the notice.

Don't think they'll be paying you to leave early if they haven't already done so.

I think it’s probably best to just work out your notice period unless your current employer asks you to leave early.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'd seek clarification in this case on payment as for me I wouldn't want to remain unpaid for any amount of time.

In my segment if someone left for a competitor we'd typically have them on gardening leave for their notice period

Likewise - but our contracts do not allow an employee to work in their next role until the gardening leave period has finished. I understand that this is quite normal practice. as you are still an employee just not required to turn up to work until your notice has been concluded.

If your employer wants you to leave earlier then you need to understand exactly what that entails - your are entitled to your leave, and they are entitled to you working your notice. They may agree to pay you, calculated up to a mutually agreed date, and just let you go with no ties - but they don't have to.

I would make sure that if you seek a lot more clarification before making any decisions or agreeing to something that might not suit you compared to working your full notice.
    It's just a matter of time...

Looks like I may have jumped the gun a little and they are happy for me to work past 31/3.

So based on this, looks like I just need to agree aligned dates and they're happy for me (it appears) to work less than the required 13 weeks but without a need to finish before the end of the FY.

Gardening leave is an option within my org as well but we have the same restrictions re: starting employment elsewhere.

All along my only concern was being asked to finish before the end of the FY which now seems to not be the case.

I'd recommend taking the gardening leave of offered. Have a few weeks to sort yourself out prior to starting a new role is very useful.

Personally, I'd much prefer the full notice period as gardening leave- I'd take a holiday and sort stuff out at home. Then start the new role fresh and refreshed.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I'd recommend taking the gardening leave of offered. Have a few weeks to sort yourself out prior to starting a new role is very useful.

Personally, I'd much prefer the full notice period as gardening leave- I'd take a holiday and sort stuff out at home. Then start the new role fresh and refreshed.
    I had thought of that (going to a competitor) but sadly that wouldn't work out either - notice would end 11/5, next available company start date 21/5.

As long as everything is nice and mutual I'll be happy and it is at present and no reason for this to change

I had this when I left my last job. I was on a 3 months notice but really wanted to leave asap as the boss was a ****.
    You can agree a revised notice period but you will only be paid until that agreed last date of employment. If your new employer cannot accommodate a new start date to coincide then there will be an unpaid gap. Do you have any annual leave left that you can take to help bridge the gap?

I handed in my notice (3 months) at my last job without another one to go to. I'd got that sick of it.

As luck would have it, I found another job almost straight away but the old company wouldn't let me go (out of spite, I think) and made me work until 4:30 PM on the last day.

I was due to leave on the Friday and start at the new company on the Monday, but due to circumstances they asked if they could delay my start for a week - not a problem as far as I was concerned. My first time unemployed in 28 years, I went and sat on a beach in Italy. Bloody brilliant, the weight of the world was off my shoulders and I knew I had a job to go back to. Just a shame it wasn't a month..

Cheers,

Plug

I've provisionally agreed finishing on 20th April, start new one the following Monday. This is fine for me and my current company and works out well overall.

Wish I could take some time out but can't afford to. In an ideal world, March would have actually been good because I go away 22nd for 5 nights. But as I say, that would leave me too long without pay.

Craftsman
    Seems to have worked out well for you. Best of luck at the new place

Thanks 👍

Shouldn’t you finish on 22 April then with your last day in the office on 20 April? Otherwise you lose 2 days pay.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Shouldn’t you finish on 22 April then with your last day in the office on 20 April? Otherwise you lose 2 days pay.
    I did actually wonder that. Is that possible? Or would my current employer expect me to finish on the last possible working day?

I’ve always ended the day before I’ve started a new job, even if the last day isn’t a working day.

I've always left on a Friday (if not last day of month). Seems a bit cheeky to ask to be paid for w/e.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I've always left on a Friday (if not last day of month). Seems a bit cheeky to ask to be paid for w/e.
    I agree. Also consider any accrued holidays which you should be paid for as this may compensate for any gaps in employment.

I don’t see it as cheek but ensuring you’re covered. In the worst case scenario if something happened to you over that weekend you’d have no cover for health or death. Extreme case obviously but something I’ll check into.

If it is to be the Friday then so be it. I’ll just wrap myself in cotton wool for a couple of days! 

And would you actually be paid any more anyway? Wages are based on x working days.

I know it’s not an issue now that you’ve got the dates sorted but I’m struggling to see how you can sleep at night if you really can’t afford to take a week off work unpaid.

Say you’re taking home £1000 per week, what’s that £75k pa gross approx?

Surely you can afford a grand if needs be?

Sorry, I know it’s none of my business but I find it worrying on your behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I know it’s not an issue now that you’ve got the dates sorted but I’m struggling to see how you can sleep at night if you really can’t afford to take a week off work unpaid.

Say you’re taking home £1000 per week, what’s that £75k pa gross approx?

Surely you can afford a grand if needs be?

Sorry, I know it’s none of my business but I find it worrying on your behalf.
    Bit of a strange thing to say - but let me change it to 'I don't want to take the time off unpaid'.

The I can't afford it basically comes down to the fact I don't want to dip into savings, or use any of my disposable income if I don't have to. I don't want to. Taking savings/monies I have out of it, I then can't afford it.

Why would I want to be without pay for a period anyway? I'd love to take a month off. I 'can' afford to take a month off if I want to. But that would mean dipping into savings. And that's for a far more important rainy day than in between jobs

Sorry, I didn’t mean to appear rude or prying and guessed that it was more a case of don’t want to take unpaid time off rather than can’t afford to. Thanks for putting my mind at rest and good luck in the new job.

Any idea of what car you’ll be getting; I’m assuming it’ll not be electric?

Sorry, I didn’t mean to appear rude or prying and guessed that it was more a case of don’t want to take unpaid time off rather than can’t afford to. Thanks for putting my mind at rest and good luck in the new job.

Any idea of what car you’ll be getting; I’m assuming it’ll not be electric?
    No problem and apologies if my reply was a bit curt and thanks for the kind comments.

I'm going for an XC60. I would like the PHEV version to be honest and the new job car scheme offers it but its just too expensive. I live in quite a rural part of north Sheffield and this winter has made me realise I do need an AWD. Had an XC60 on loan for an afternoon during a real snowfall so it made my mind up.

I did spec up a Leaf yesterday though as quite like it you know. And I was close to putting a deposit on an i-pace at the back end of last year but then the job interview came along and stopped me.

I'm only leasing for 2yrs as will look at the PHEV route again come 2020.

Good luck in the new job, sounds like it's all sorted for you.

M

Thanks snowman

Best of luck mate. I've been a job for approaching 15 years now. Can't stand it. Really want to do something different and get out of this one, but just don't know how to do it, plus a kid at school etc.

Notice Period & New job

Off topic but I quite like the new Leaf too. Its the Nismo with the 60kwhr battery and 200bhp motor that I’m waiting for though. It should be out at the back end the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Best of luck mate. I've been a job for approaching 15 years now. Can't stand it. Really want to do something different and get out of this one, but just don't know how to do it, plus a kid at school etc.
    Good luck - keep hoping - nothing worse than hating your job

I think this is why its been hard for me to take the decision in this one. Its a job I've thoroughly enjoyed, get on with everyone and will be sad to leave but its become a bit stale. When I took voluntary redundancy in 2010 I had to go. Couldn't cope with it following a take over.

Anyway, chin up Ventura and fingers crossed for you

Off topic but I quite like the new Leaf too. Its the Nismo with the 60kwhr battery and 200bhp motor that I’m waiting for though. It should be out at the back end the year.
    Ooh that looks interesting!