closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Computer help - graphics card install

Master

Computer help - graphics card install

Hi

As some of you might remember, I was after a new graphics card for a tower pc. I bought a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 GGB compact card which arrived today.

When I install the card and switch the PC on, I get three beeps followed by a pause and then 3 beeps again. This just goes on and there is no display on the screen. Taking the new card out and starting the PC, everything works normally.

With the graphics card installed, the graphics card fan spins up and then stops while the system fans keep going.

I plug the display adapter into the motherboard as normal as well.

So I have tried the following so far:

- Re-seated the RAM modules
    - Taken the battery out of the motherboard and then re-installed it
    - Tried different PCI-E power cables within the case

I'm a bit stuck now as the system used to have a card apparently so I thought a new one would simply slot in and work. I'm not sure what sort of error codes/logs I should be looking at to get an idea of what is going wrong.

Any ideas or suggestions that don't require massive technical skills or knowledge?

Thanks

Master
    The sequence of beeps gives you the error type. Though 3 is normally, I think, memory. Look up what they mean for the motherboard you have.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    The sequence of beeps gives you the error type. Though 3 is normally, I think, memory. Look up what they mean for the motherboard you have.
    Yes it does seem to mean memory issue -A memory failure has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad - is the kind of meaning I get when looking online. Why would it do that when the new card is installed and yet work perfectly normally when the card is removed??

Master
    I assume you have hooked up the 1060 to the Psu? After that check the bios and make sure PCE can be used rather than on board gfx if a card is inserted.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I assume you have hooked up the 1060 to the Psu? After that check the bios and make sure PCE can be used rather than on board gfx if a card is inserted.
    Yes, all connected to the PSU via PCI-E power connectors.

In the BIOS, which setting am I looking for? There is a 'Initiate Graphic adapter' option which is set to Auto currently. The other options are PEG and IGD. Is that where I should be looking?
    Thanks

Master
    I imagine set to auto is fine. It should disable the onboard once a card is inserted. You could try whatever the latest bios for the MB is. Though these Medion type system probably have cheap oem MBs. You may have to cut your losses if that does not work. Try googling for adding a gfx card to that MB type and see if any pearls of wisdom appear.

Master
    Is your PSU up to the job? What wattage is it? And is it a reputable manufacturer or some cheap Chinese thing?

Check that your two RAM boards/chips are still properly seated. You may have knocked them when putting the new gfx card in.

Master
    Wre you using onboard graphics, if you were you may have to turn the on board graphics off in the bios

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Check that your two RAM boards/chips are still properly seated. You may have knocked them when putting the new gfx card in.
    I re-tried and made sure everything was seated, used the HDMI connector on the new gfx card and switched it on. Hey presto it now seems to be working! I've set the BIOS back to Auto as well.

Now just updating the drivers etc.

Thanks for the help.

Master
    Blog Entries
    With new hardware like a GPU I like to do a fresh OS install.