closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics. Who's watching?

Of course it’s not all about the suits. And D didn’t suggest it was, it was just Andy who chose to read it this way.
    The confidence you get from knowing you have a great equipment is possibly worth more hundredths than the actual performance of the suits. And don’t think for a minute that every country doesn’t try to push the rules as far as they will bend. In this case the fact it came out was just a way to try to get into the team members’ heads. It seems it didn’t work exactly as expected
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

That women's super-g was a race
    Closest top 4 places in history, I think they said

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Of course it’s not all about the suits. And D didn’t suggest it was, it was just Andy who chose to read it this way.
    Yeah, I got that, hence commenting on Andy's post and not putting D straight

The confidence you get from knowing you have a great equipment is possibly worth more hundredths than the actual performance of the suits. And don’t think for a minute that every country doesn’t try to push the rules as far as they will bend. In this case the fact it came out was just a way to try to get into the team members’ heads. It seems it didn’t work exactly as expected
    I think that Lizzy Yarnold comes across as one of the mentally strongest athletes out there, she wasn't going to crack regardless as to what tricks people tried to play.

Why don't you read the post again. The inference made by Drivel was quite clear and quite intentional.

But feel free to defend it if you like - it matters not.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Correct SJ, but I won’t go as low as Andy, who has his problems as I well know, this isn’t the BP. Just admiring the skeleton performance, like the Dutch in 1998 in Nagano, who used some aerodynamic strips on their suits this mostly gives you a mental edge and puts fear in your opponents.
    Shame about James Woods, now he can go back to acting again ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Shite!!! Dutch favorite men out and Christie out on a stretcher, what a madness in shorttrack compared to normal speedskating!
    Yep that short track has been carnage.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Dutch speed skating commentator got spliced and diced by Sven Kramer.

Today's quarterfinal Speedskating Pursuit didn't go without a hitch. #2 (of 3) Koen Verweij was in trouble: it appeared as if the pace was too high. Which is weird: he's normally pretty good. The Netherlands finished 2nd, which is perfect: that way they'll meet Korea in the final only.

The Dutch commentator started asking Koen V insinuating questions about his physical condition. In reality, his left skate had a technical problem. Still, the commentator suggested that Koen shouldn't be skating the next heat on Wednesday. Koen is not so media-savvy and was lost for words. It was obvious that the other two skaters became very irritated as a result of the insinuations. Then, Kramer (known for his short fuse temperament) answered with a question: "Isn't it time to replace you?" The sort of question everybody in front of the TV had in his/her mind as well.

M

Good on him!

Blog Entries
    If you dish it out....;)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Winter Olympics. Who's watching?

I like the Ice Hockey and that’s it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...inter-olympics

4-0!

Was a fan of the CCCP and Red Army teams in the past. CCCP vs Czechoslovakia were always cracking matches.

Is Nessun Dorma mandatory for the dancing on ice competition? Every time and boring.

Who’s the whimp in the daft bobble hat that fronts BBC4’s coverage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I like the Ice Hockey and that’s it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...inter-olympics

4-0!

Was a fan of the CCCP and Red Army teams in the past.
    There's a fantastic 30 for 30 documentary called Miracles and Men, I had no knowledge of Russian ice hockey before but it's bloody brilliant. If you can't find it anywhere else there's a ( not so good) copy here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdbGSHdiRO0

Craftsman
    Been watching it a lot and enjoying it.

Drove back from Les Gets on Thursday, seem to have picked up a flu bug which has left me with a dodgy stomach and a bad cough. Not a good combination!!!

Because of this, I have been able to watch a lot of it live.

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    There's a fantastic 30 for 30 documentary called Miracles and Men, I had no knowledge of Russian ice hockey before but it's bloody brilliant. If you can't find it anywhere else there's a ( not so good) copy here[/url]
    Thanks, I’ll take a peek during the week.

Correct SJ, but I won’t go as low as Andy, who has his problems as I well know, this isn’t the BP. Just admiring the skeleton performance, like the Dutch in 1998 in Nagano, who used some aerodynamic strips on their suits this mostly gives you a mental edge and puts fear in your opponents.
    Shame about James Woods, now he can go back to acting again ;)

As you thought it was necessary to introduce the topic of the UK suits, perhaps you might find this article of some use.

You will note that the suits have to comply with the rules of the sport. http://www.wired.co.uk/article/skele...ld-dom-parsons

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

It seems that the all clear was given even before the complaints from some other teams. As I said, pure mind games.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    As you thought it was necessary to introduce the topic of the UK suits, perhaps you might find this article of some use.

You will note that the suits have to comply with the rules of the sport. http://www.wired.co.uk/article/skele...ld-dom-parsons
    FFS Andy, I KNOW THAT! Please let your problems regarding your difficulty understanding the context of what is written not spoil this thread. For the last time, I like what is being done, the cutting edge of technology, trying to just colour between the lines of what is allowed and that’s why I introduced it.
    Now since this is not the BP I won’t end with what I had in mind.

Lighten up chaps, it's the olympics, lets see a bit of the olympic spirit being shown to all and sundry on this portal. If the Fench figure skaters can give us a bit of the ol' olympic joie de vivre, then why not here ?

The Canadians in the lead of the bobsleigh going in to the final run.

Go Canada!

Blog Entries
    Four years ago a clean sweep for the Dutch now not even a medal, the gold is for Norway on the shortest distance speedskating, what a sensational race! Lorentzen absolutely deserved that, with the surprise Korean on a beautiful second place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The Canadians in the lead of the bobsleigh going in to the final run.

Go Canada!
    Dead heat with the Germans after 4 runs! Great to see them all congratulating each other, such brilliant comradery despite the level of competition.

Elise Christie.......not been her games at all, you just knew that something was going to happen - and it did :-/

We're doing well in the curling though :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Elise Christie.......not been her games at all, you just knew that something was going to happen - and it did :-/

We're doing well in the curling though :-)
    The Dutch girl is going to the next round, but having watched the incident again and again I still think it wasn't Christie's fault.

But these aren't her games, to put it mildly.

The Dutch girl is going to the next round, but having watched the incident again and again I still think it wasn't Christie's fault.

But these aren't her games, to put it mildly.
    Neither were the last games at Sochi!

She just has really bad luck at the Olympics, perhaps she’s trying just a little too hard.

She is not cut for the Olympics, is she? The talent is undisputed but nerves, clear thinking and mental toughness were not up to scratch.

Master
    Christie has had atough games again. Not sure how much is bad luck or not. To my uneducated eye she does seem to put her self in situations where something may happen and has been struggling with completing a clean pass.

It was one of those situations where you knew at the start she’d either win everything or nothing.
    I agree with reecie though that she seems to get herself into trouble.

Thing is, in 2 Olympic games she hasn’t managed to finish her final race (whichever that was, heat, QF, SF or F)

Blog Entries
    Well, our favorite for a medal, Sjinkie Knegt, is out as well, again.

Another penalty, what chaotic sport shorttrack is!

When you’ve got four people, each perched on two razor blades, fighting for the same piece of track then it’s always likely to end in carnage.

It sounds like a great script for a Rollerball sequel!

Blog Entries
    The competitors should let the officials draw straws for the medals and they can simply watch from the warm-up area and go straight to the podium as required.

Neither were the last games at Sochi!

She just has really bad luck at the Olympics, perhaps she’s trying just a little too hard.
    She is not cut for the Olympics, is she? The talent is undisputed but nerves, clear thinking and mental toughness were not up to scratch.
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Christie has had atough games again. Not sure how much is bad luck or not. To my uneducated eye she does seem to put her self in situations where something may happen and has been struggling with completing a clean pass.
    It was one of those situations where you knew at the start she’d either win everything or nothing.
    I agree with reecie though that she seems to get herself into trouble.
    Thing is, in 2 Olympic games she hasn’t managed to finish her final race (whichever that was, heat, QF, SF or F)
    By any sporting standard she has completely failed at consecutive games now. She's talking about the 2022 games but surely we have to drop her now? Surely we can't fund her for another four years? The demotivating effect on the up and coming skaters would be huge, as would the culture of rewarding failure.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    By any sporting standard she has completely failed at consecutive games now. She's talking about the 2022 games but surely we have to drop her now? Surely we can't fund her for another four years? The demotivating effect on the up and coming skaters would be huge, as would the culture of rewarding failure.
    err...
    At the 2017 World Short Track Speed Skating Championships in Rotterdam , The Netherlands, she became the first British woman to win a speed skating world championship when she took the gold medal in the 1500m. She also finished fourth in the 500m before taking a second gold in the 1000m and a bronze in the 3000m to clinch the overall gold, becoming the first non-Asian skater to win the women's overall world title in 23 years... yep, she's at total failure.

Master
    I agree, that from an Olympics funding perspective, not World Championships which is presumably a different funding pot, spend the money on an up and coming talent (say a fast 15year old) that could perhaps go to 3 or even 4 Games over their career. I'm sure with Elise's profile she could get enough sponsorship from the corporate world to self fund an attempt at qualifying for the next olympics, she might even be able to get a Hollywood sponsor, funds her for 4 years and gets film rights for eventual triumph..

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    err...
    At the 2017 World Short Track Speed Skating Championships in Rotterdam , The Netherlands, she became the first British woman to win a speed skating world championship when she took the gold medal in the 1500m. She also finished fourth in the 500m before taking a second gold in the 1000m and a bronze in the 3000m to clinch the overall gold, becoming the first non-Asian skater to win the women's overall world title in 23 years... yep, she's at total failure.
    At Olympic Games she has failed.

At Olympic Games she has failed.
    There's no pressure at the World Championships?
    It has just been a bad week at the office, same for our skiers and Aerial competitors.

Blog Entries
    Insane this shorttrack stuff, The Dutch women relay finished first in the B final, with a world record time, that means fifth place, but due to disqualifications in the A final, they now are third and have a bronze medal!

BTW, #Christie, don't dish her she doesn't deserve that, we don't do that with Sjinkie.

Master
    Lol - Mr T gets enthusiatic about curling :-)

https://news.sky.com/story/dont-get-...g-tip-11258793

It’s not about dishing her D. You should have heard Clare Balding wax lyrical about her after each disqualification, I thought she was going to force the audience to kneel and pray for her, American televangelist style.
    She has been disqualified in each single race for 2 consecutive Olympics FFS! She hasn’t just lost, she has pushed her luck beyond what the rules allow and in doing so systematically impeded her opponents.

Grand Master
    Elise Christie has been very unlucky and she must naturally be devastated but hopefully it makes
    Her stronger

RIAC

Unlucky ? Or reckless ?

Unlucky ? Or reckless ?
    Whatever, she’s still the best British speed skater by a long way!

I don’t suppose you get to be the best without pushing your luck a little.

I completely agree. I said her talent was undisputed. I also mentioned the lack of clear thinking. When you were disqualified on every single race throughout a whole Winter Olympics, and you see the same thing happen again it is more than time to try and do things differently.
    When you see the absolute shambles that was British Bobsleigh funding [heads will roll here, you’ve read it here first], it doesn’t seem the best option to fund a new Olympic campaign instead of taking some youngsters -some of which may have been inspired by Christie- to the next games.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    err...
    I agree - She has failed at the Olympics again, but why would you bypass someone who clearly CAN perform at the top level to 'motivate' those who haven't?

The up and coming skaters should have someone who has proven to be world class to match up against in training and national events and she deserves a chance, on her past record (outside the Olympics), to have a crack at the next one.

If over the next couple of years her performance drops, then look at it again, but she is clearly the best skater the UK has at the moment.

She has, though, sounded worryingly fragile during these games - I wonder if she would really want to put herself through another 4 years of that anguish.

M

Master
    The Worlds come up in Canada in March so, providing the injury is ok, she has a chance of putting it behind her. Her problem is the Olympics will be a millstone mentally plus her competitors will use it tactically to put her back in these situations.

I completely agree. I said her talent was undisputed. I also mentioned the lack of clear thinking. When you were disqualified on every single race throughout a whole Winter Olympics, and you see the same thing happen again it is more than time to try and do things differently.
    When you see the absolute shambles that was British Bobsleigh funding [heads will roll here, you’ve read it here first], it doesn’t seem the best option to fund a new Olympic campaign instead of taking some youngsters -some of which may have been inspired by Christie- to the next games.
    British bobsleigh funding has been a shambles for many years. In fact, one of my brothers paid for one of the British girls teams to compete in the last two round of the season in order to qualify fir Sochi.

It’s unlikely that heads will roll though, the top brass are an “old boys club” who currently seem to be immune!

Edit: just caught up and apparently the heads rolled in the summer.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 20th February 2018 at 15:34.

Blog Entries
    It’s not about dishing her D. You should have heard Clare Balding wax lyrical about her after each disqualification, I thought she was going to force the audience to kneel and pray for her, American televangelist style.
    She has been disqualified in each single race for 2 consecutive Olympics FFS! She hasn’t just lost, she has pushed her luck beyond what the rules allow and in doing so systematically impeded her opponents.

Agreed, for the Balding part, but having watched her in Rotterdam I know the quality is there, but not the nerves so to say. It happens to some, loads of talent, but they can't keep it together when it really matters.

As much as I wanted Elise to win, I think now it is very clear the issue is with Elise herself. Six attempts over two olympics and in every attempt she has either been DQ'd or fallen and that speaks volumes.

IMO she needs a good sports psychologist, as she obviously buckles at the pressure of the olympics.

Master
    Well I know nothing about the short-track but that seemed a ridiculous yellow card. Hungarian left the door open she went though on the straight and then Hungarian moved into her. Hope Ricciardo never moves from F1 to the ice - virtually every pass he's made would result in a black flag.

Go on - someone with better knowledge tell me why I'm wrong?
    Last edited by Dazzler; 20th February 2018 at 17:25.

You are. Please note I do not claim to have better knowledge. But even a highly supportive team of pundits agreed almost immediately. Also, the YC is given for 2 voluntary offenses, whereas a penalty is accidental.

Blog Entries
    Just watch, pray and hope for a medal ;)