closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rolex to control distribution to individuals

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    ..My 15200 gets very little wrist time now. However, it was the first Rolex I ever bought, I got married wearing it, witnessed the birth of my two children with it and a whole host of other memories......
    My friend has sentimental memories of his Rolex. He was wearing it when he joined the mile high club. Unfortunately, he was flying solo at the time.........

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    My friend has sentimental memories of his Rolex. He was wearing it when he joined the mile high club. Unfortunately, he was flying solo at the time.........
    Most of this forum have the same
    Memory less the ✈️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Completely see your position. As annoying as it is when people are yapping on about Rolex and residuals sometimes it’s those residuals that give people the confidence to buy. I think without the residuals of some brands / specific watches a few of us here would own less watches. I would probably own just one or two.

I’m thinking about selling a Speedy to buy something else but the whole buying for ~£3k and selling for £2k stings and makes me think twice.

Weird how when it comes to other hobbies residuals don’t get a mention but for some reason when it comes watches we’re obsessed.
    Yeah, well the upshot is I've signed up to the waiting list for a Hulk (currently #38 apparently) which will take 18-24 months to clear, by which time I'll have the cash and can make decision which way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post
    Yeah, well the upshot is I've signed up to the waiting list for a Hulk (currently #38 apparently) which will take 18-24 months to clear, by which time I'll have the cash and can make decision which way to go.
    Seems unlikely they will get 38 delivered in 18-24 months so there must be an expected drop out rate

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Seems unlikely they will get 38 delivered in 18-24 months so there must be an expected drop out rate
    Yeah, that's what the guy said, they get a lot who don't end up taking up the watch, either because they can't actually afford, or they're on a waiting list elsewhere and have been called from another shop. He also told me that they prioritise people local to the shop on the watches with the highest demand.

Craftsman
    This thread makes me happier that my relationship with an independent AD is better than the ones I have with AD’s in my local town centre.

For what it’s worth, I have purchased from 2 different Goldsmiths and one said to me that they do compile the lists together and review who is on what list. I’m on the Hulk list from the GS that supplied me my BLNR just to see what happens. If I get the call, i’ll prob take it

Master
    2 days ago I went on the list for a SS Rolex at an overseas AD that I have never used before. They made me fill 2 forms which was a bit unusual as all others just take my details on a post-it note or similar (that probably goes in the bin as soon as I go out the door lol). However, neither of the forms were from Rolex. One seemed to be just a customer information thing to register me on their system and the other actually asked the make and model of the watch I was interested in. After that, I asked about a SS Sub and they happened to have one, so I bought it. No mention of limiting me to 2 watches a year or some new Rolex policy. I was surprised to find ANY professional model in store though ... I have travelled a fair bit in the last 5 months (Europe, Middle East, US) and haven’t seen or been offered even when specifically asked for one.

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Rolex have been checking names on Daytona lists for a while now!
    I'm a Rolex AD in Cheshire and have never been asked by Rolex for any names of customers for Daytonas or any other Professional model.

I cannot see either how they can control who purchases however many watches for the same reason as above - they don't know who buys the watch unless it goes in for repair.

Sounds like one of Mr Trumpys fake news stories to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    2 days ago I went on the list for a SS Rolex at an overseas AD that I have never used before. They made me fill 2 forms which was a bit unusual as all others just take my details on a post-it note or similar (that probably goes in the bin as soon as I go out the door lol). However, neither of the forms were from Rolex. One seemed to be just a customer information thing to register me on their system and the other actually asked the make and model of the watch I was interested in. After that, I asked about a SS Sub and they happened to have one, so I bought it. No mention of limiting me to 2 watches a year or some new Rolex policy. I was surprised to find ANY professional model in store though ... I have travelled a fair bit in the last 5 months (Europe, Middle East, US) and haven’t seen or been offered even when specifically asked for one.
    How did the price compare to UK and will you say which country out of interest ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    How did the price compare to UK and will you say which country out of interest ?
    Sure ... I bought it in Switzerland. The price, after deducting Swiss VAT @ 7.7% and adding Austrian VAT @ 20% (as that was the first country I entered after leaving Switzerland), came to somewhere between £6950 and £7,000 i.e. at least £700 dearer than UK list price. But at least it was available, unlike anywhere I asked in the UK (and few other countries).

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    I'm a Rolex AD in Cheshire and have never been asked by Rolex for any names of customers for Daytonas or any other Professional model.

I cannot see either how they can control who purchases however many watches for the same reason as above - they don't know who buys the watch unless it goes in for repair.

Sounds like one of Mr Trumpys fake news stories to me.
    It was a conversation at a Basel event between myself and the Rolex regional rep who organised my Daytona so I’ll take his word on it, to give it context he did say Rolex and the AD networks are trying to prevent this buying to sell for profit and they monitor lists trying to highlight and prevent muiliple purchases by the same individuals!

But to be clear until now and the OP post i’d never heard of Rolex vito a purchase, I thought it was more a case of let’s say three different FH stores submit the same name to HO for the Daytona if they believe it’s the same person they may only supply once or not at all.

Edit: correction the OP on here quoted a topic on TRF which is what I was referring to the purchase vito by Rolex.
    Last edited by pitbull666; 18th February 2018 at 00:39.

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    It was a conversation at a Basel event between myself and the Rolex regional rep who organised my Daytona so I’ll take his word on it, to give it context he did say Rolex and the AD networks are trying to prevent this buying to sell for profit and they monitor lists trying to highlight and prevent muiliple purchases by the same individuals!

But to be clear until now and the OP post i’d never heard of Rolex vito a purchase, I thought it was more a case of let’s say three different FH stores submit the same name to HO for the Daytona if they believe it’s the same person they may only supply once or not at all.

Edit: correction the OP on here quoted a topic on TRF which is what I was referring to the purchase vito by Rolex.
    Ah. That now makes more sense and it highlights the difference between us, as an individual business, and the multiples.
    However it doesn't alter the problem of buyers trying to put their name down with every retailer around the UK. We quickly realised that we cannot even get enough watches to supply our own catchment area let alone our existing customers. We are only allocated 3 Daytonas per year now so that doesn't even scratch the surface.
    It's very frustrating for everyone made more so by seeing them readily available on the grey market.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Sure ... I bought it in Switzerland. The price, after deducting Swiss VAT @ 7.7% and adding Austrian VAT @ 20% (as that was the first country I entered after leaving Switzerland), came to somewhere between £6950 and £7,000 i.e. at least £700 dearer than UK list price. But at least it was available, unlike anywhere I asked in the UK (and few other countries).
    That sort of figure tallies with the advantage we are told has been with the prices in UK.

It's interesting and thanks for explaining. As you rightly say it means you have picked up a genuinely brand new watch rather than an "unworn" one!

Just took this from the Rolex Forum. Very odd and if true would be game changing.

bought a 116600LV today. They now are required to engrave the back with something to combat grey market and secondary sales. I inquired as to why and admittedly got angry as he knew I would. He straight up called the Rolex rep when I threw a fit and he told me on the phone they we're starting to require it on all of the hard to get sports models as of Feb 1. No shipping on sports models either. Sales receipts must also be photocopied with the warranty card FILLED OUT and with a copy of your license for the warranty. Rep said if I sold it, the warranty transferred so long as the name on the card matched the name on the Rolex warranty. I did not inquire about the stickers. He did not say anything about limiting stock to any person. Watches are for sale, not for holding in the case he said. The idea did come from ROLEX for the US market and was not well received and was put on the back burner to see how this genius plan works to combat greys. It is what it is. FML.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Just took this from the Rolex Forum. Very odd and if true would be game changing.

bought a 116600LV today. They now are required to engrave the back with something to combat grey market and secondary sales. I inquired as to why and admittedly got angry as he knew I would. He straight up called the Rolex rep when I threw a fit and he told me on the phone they we're starting to require it on all of the hard to get sports models as of Feb 1. No shipping on sports models either. Sales receipts must also be photocopied with the warranty card FILLED OUT and with a copy of your license for the warranty. Rep said if I sold it, the warranty transferred so long as the name on the card matched the name on the Rolex warranty. I did not inquire about the stickers. He did not say anything about limiting stock to any person. Watches are for sale, not for holding in the case he said. The idea did come from ROLEX for the US market and was not well received and was put on the back burner to see how this genius plan works to combat greys. It is what it is. FML.
    I have read elsewhere about the engraving the back, but I just can’t see it myself. On all these forums there are numerous different ‘my AD has said this is happening’ threads, some will be true, most wont be. All I can say is I picked up a new skydweller two weeks ago and the only chat was about the lack of the desired models coming through - nothing else.

The grey market is a strange one. On one hand they are pushing prices incredibly high (albeit on a very few number of models). Rolex and Patek are seeing some of their watches resold by buyers at higher profit margins than the watch company itself has made - bizarre really. On the other hand though the grey market is helping them - buyers are buying with the confidence that they won’t lose out if they decide to sell because they can sell to a grey dealer and sell very easily too. So again slightly bizarre but the grey market is making these watches almost (not quite) an investment.

Interested to hear what Oracle, as an AD, has to say about all these constant rumours. Any of them true at all?
    Last edited by Devonian; 18th February 2018 at 11:02.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Sounds unlikely to me. Not sure that would have the desired impact on the grey market. Either buyers would be unconcerned about the engraving or just get it swopped out.

Making the warranty non-transfetable is an interesting idea but wouldn't make that much difference.

Centrally maintained lists could make some difference but probably too easy to work around.

Ultimately, the only "solution" is for retail prices to be much closer to grey prices.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post

Ultimately, the only "solution" is for retail prices to be much closer to grey prices.
    Which would be great for us in the trade too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC