Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patek price up 20% from 01/03

Master

Patek price up 20% from 01/03

Just read this over on Pistonheads
    https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...=187&t=1723826

Anyone got more info?

Master
    My understanding was that it was only the Nautilus .
    Last edited by paskinner; 9th February 2018 at 15:16.

Master
    I was told only the 5711 and 5712

Master
    That’s some price hike

Master
    With the 11 and 12 being the two hot Nautiluses, I wonder if Patek is planning to increase output to satisfy demand, and also take some heat out of the grey prices.
    As a cynic, I also half suspect Patek is testing the waters by proxy, seeing where the greys go with pricing after the increase.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Heard it was 03/03.

Master
    Finally! They’ve been scandalously underpriced for far too long... ;-)

Master
    Reassuringly expensive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact that GBP has mildly appreciated against the CHF over the last year, makes this unlikely.

I’ll file this under all the other speculative crap.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    With the 11 and 12 being the two hot Nautiluses, I wonder if Patek is planning to increase output to satisfy demand, and also take some heat out of the grey prices.
    As a cynic, I also half suspect Patek is testing the waters by proxy, seeing where the greys go with pricing after the increase.
    I doubt Patek even consider what a grey dealer does but with such strong demand for their watches I’m sure they feel the market would absorb a price rise and it strengthens their desire amongst collectors who realise they are not only a superb watch but strong investment too

RIAC

Master
    If money is no object then what matters the price?

Craftsman
    I heard that this price increase is only going to be for the nautilus models

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    The fact that GBP has mildly appreciated against the CHF over the last year, makes this unlikely.

I’ll file this under all the other speculative crap.
    It’s confirmed already mate....

Master
    I was told yesterday that as of 1st March it is only the 5711 and 5712 that are having a price rise.

The reason apparently told to ADs is to differentiate to the Aquanaut and to stop grey market dealers....hmm, not sure what effect that will have!

Craftsman
    Glad I held on to my 5711.

Had some enticing offers for it last year

Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    Glad I held on to my 5711.

Had some enticing offers for it last year
    Likewise, but I wanted one for a while. I'm hoping the 5167 prices don't go too crazy before I pick one up though!
    It's just a matter of time...

Lightbulb

Nice to see they are now pushing to price themselves as a premium brand...

Craftsman
    Rolex prices are getting too close, no wonder Patek decided to widen the gap again 😜

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Finally! They’ve been scandalously underpriced for far too long... ;-)
    As we say up north, "EH?"

Craftsman
    Has this been confirmed as I think I am getting close to a 5711 🤔

Craftsman
    They can increase the price all they want but with such limited supply there will be little to no benefit to them or us. I can only see the Grey's pushing prices up.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HEKTOR View Post
    They can increase the price all they want but with such limited supply there will be little to no benefit to them or us. I can only see the Grey's pushing prices up.
    Think we are probably at saturation point when a steel sports hits £30k just think the gap between RRP and independents will just be closer

RIAC

I was going to say that I see these, 5711, going the wrong side of £35k (from the main trade sellers), but I note that Watchfinder are only £250 off that already!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Think we are probably at saturation point when a steel sports hits £30k just think the gap between RRP and independents will just be closer

At the price point for the 5712 now, I am thinking a 5146 or 5205. That is annual calendar in precious metal money

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    Has this been confirmed as I think I am getting close to a 5711 樂
    Price increase is confirmed but I heard it was only for the nautilus

Master

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

I’ve said it a few times Patek want to protect customers investments 5711-5712 are hitting £35k at greys atm.

Before the price rise hits it’s not like you can walk into a dealers and walk out with one at RRP over the counter, I predict that these will become the most expensive production SS watch with prices going north, I think we will see nearer 40k by the end of the year.

I think this is achievable as they will never become main stream and will cross permanently into the collector/investment bracket.

25k is achievable to buy and flip to make a quick profit, Patek want owners who pass the watch onto the next generation not flip like a common Rolex, @ £30k no so achievable atm unfortunately Patek have created a desirability that way outstrips demand with only a very very limited number ever being released yearly.

Last edited by Volvomanuk; 26th February 2018 at 07:18.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    I’ve said it a few times Patek want to protect customers investments 5711-5712 are hitting £35k at greys atm.

Before the price rise hits it’s not like you can walk into a dealers and walk out with one at RRP over the counter, I predict that these will become the most expensive production SS watch with prices going north, I think we will see nearer 40k by the end of the year.

I think this is achievable as they will never become main stream and will cross permanently into the collector/investment bracket.

25k is achievable to buy and flip to make a quick profit, Patek want owners who pass the watch onto the next generation not flip like a common Rolex, @ £30k no so achievable atm unfortunately Patek have created a desirability that way outstrips demand with only a very very limited number ever being released yearly.

Agree

Craftsman

Luckily, we all have a choice as to which (if any) brand of watch we buy. If PP can raise prices on “sports” watches by 20% and still fill their desired capacity, good luck to them. That’s capitalism.

Rolex Oysterquartz (17000) SS beater; Cartier Santos quartz in steel/gold for dress wear; Audemars Piguet Huitième chronograph in yellow gold; Glashütte Original Senator Excellence SS; Glashütte Original Panoreserve SS; Stowa Flieger; GO Sport Evo Pano.
    Need more . . . .

Well anyone can have my 5711 for a bargaintastic £42,500. Can't say fairer than that. In 50 years time that will seem like the sale of the century lol

Master
    Same my AD just delivered my 5712 before price increase if anyone wants to buy it for £150k taking into account the next 50 price increases let me know LOLOLO

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    At the price point for the 5712 now, I am thinking a 5146 or 5205. That is annual calendar in precious metal money
    Mission accomplished, then?

Aren't Rolex and PP forcing SS prices up & supplies down in order to boost sales of the other 90+% of their ranges??

Craftsman
    I am on the waiting list for a Nautilus. The dealer made me aware that they will keep the original cert. for 12 months after delivery (I get a photocopy) Its quite obvious why this policy is being adopted going by what I am reading.

Master
    I can't help feeling that there's a whiff of tulip mania about these prices. On the one hand, there's clearly a place in the market for a globally recognised watch of this value. Demand is high while supply is small, and the watch itself is distinctive enough to play the part. On the other hand, there's a sense that its desirability is fuelling itself, as prices go up and the watch becomes ever more unattainable and so more desirable and so on. And yet all this is built on the shaky foundation of fashion, combined with the idea that a particular asset can only go one way and so is an investment. It may well be, but I'll be watching from the sidelines.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I'll be watching from the sidelines.
    That's two of us.

Master
    I was lucky enough to pick up my 5711 last March, have worn it rarely and its as close to mint as possible.

So out of curiosity and seeing some of the pricing being asked at grey dealers i asked for a buy price last week just to see what the offer would be.

For me this puts it into perspective. Retail when i bought - £18030.00. Grey dealer asking price today - £27500.00. My offer of last week - £19350 - £19800.00

Needless to say its going nowhere.
    Last edited by Nev; 26th February 2018 at 12:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    I was lucky enough to pick up my 5711 last March, have worn it rarely and its as close to mint as possible.

So out of curiosity and seeing some of the pricing being offered at grey dealers i asked for a buy price last week just to see what the offer would be.

For me this puts it into perspective. Retail when i bought - £18030.00. Grey dealer asking price today - £27500.00. My offer of last week - £19350 - £19800.00

Needless to say its going nowhere.
    White or blue dial?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    White or blue dial?
    White, the blue today has an asking price of £32750+

Thought so just wanted to check as clearly they are anticipating a drop! Offered £22k on a white 3/4 weeks back appears across the board their prices are remaining strong but not buying in at what they used to!

Apprentice
    Higher prices create more desire in this category ... I think the marketing people have a word for that ...

I don't know how people can feel comfortable wearing such high value watches in public ... in terms of safety ...

As a criminal mugging someone for a £20- 30k watch has to be one of the lowest risk crimes for the size of the pay out ...

it is less that 3 years since Patek reduced RRP's by 10% inc 5711/5712

so they can go up and down !

I am bemused that someone mentions Tulip mania.... rather have a real safe full of SS Nautilus than the hot air being pumped on the Bitcoin thread

Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1680 View Post
    Higher prices create more desire in this category ... I think the marketing people have a word for that ...

I don't know how people can feel comfortable wearing such high value watches in public ... in terms of safety ...

As a criminal mugging someone for a £20- 30k watch has to be one of the lowest risk crimes
    Patek slips well under the radar where as a sub or seadweller could see you battered. I’ve worn mine in some dodgy locations including the M/CR GTG on several occasions.

Patek and fashion in the same sentence, that made me laugh.

Last edited by Volvomanuk; 26th February 2018 at 16:51.

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    it is less that 3 years since Patek reduced RRP's by 10% inc 5711/5712

so they can go up and down !

I am bemused that someone mentions Tulip mania.... rather have a real safe full of SS Nautilus than the hot air being pumped on the Bitcoin thread
    Had a few offered this week for 3000 Baht......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Hi Nev don't quote me but after 2 years I heard a rumour that you can send it for a service and get the dial swapped for a blue one ?

Any thoughts anyone ? Makes £££ sense

Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    Hi Nev don't quote me but after 2 years I heard a rumour that you can send it for a service and get the dial swapped for a blue one ?

Any thoughts anyone ? Makes £££ sense
    You can, but it's not cheap. You'd have to ask the current price though, and the papers would then be for the wrong dial watch.

Quote Originally Posted by 1680 View Post

As a criminal mugging someone for a £20- 30k watch has to be one of the lowest risk crimes for the size of the pay out ...
    You'd be more likely to mug someone for their fake!

I'd also suggest mugging people isn't the easiest of crimes to pull off successfully- it requires close contact and leaves the criminal in danger of identification.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    You'd be more likely to mug someone for their fake!

I’d also suggest mugging people isn’t the easiest of crimes to pull off successfully...
    Or maybe not…

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=571521
    https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=555171

I’m not suggesting it doesn’t happen, but...

There are a lot of fake watches being worn, and the criminal needs to get up close and personal - there are easier crimes with less risk.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m not suggesting it doesn’t happen, but...

There are a lot of fake watches being worn, and the criminal needs to get up close and personal - there are easier crimes with less risk.
    I think I’d feel uncomfortable wearing a watch of that value.

Master
    You can, but it's not cheap. You'd have to ask the current price though, and the papers would then be for the wrong dial watch.

That's another thing as I heard again that PP ( can potentially re-issue them ?? ) I think the service would be £2k ish with dial and hands but the numbers easily stack up with the price difference and well worth checking with PP .

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I think I’d feel uncomfortable wearing a watch of that value.
    Personal choice. I’ve had very few people notice what brand the watch is. Those that know I’m into watches ask what I’m wearing - most who have asked hadn’t heard of Patek, and most definitely didn’t recognize the model.

Enough people own cars of much greater value than luxury watches and just leave them at the side of the road, or outside their house