closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Waterproofing a watch that wasn’t manufactured to be waterproof

Master

Waterproofing a watch that wasn’t manufactured to be waterproof

Is this possible / practicable? Watch in question is a Parnis sub-clone. Is it just a case of fitting some decent gaskets and replacing the crystal (which I suspect is a bad fit) or would more be needed?

Quote Originally Posted by rincewind View Post
    Is this possible / practicable? Watch in question is a Parnis sub-clone. Is it just a case of fitting some decent gaskets and replacing the crystal (which I suspect is a bad fit) or would more be needed?
    Stick it in a plastic bag?! 😂

Master
    Blog Entries
    What's it currently rated to?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Stick it in a plastic bag?!
    Fair shout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    What's it currently rated to?
    It isn’t rated, it’s stated as being water resistant, which is a lie

It is possible but don't expect a very high water resistance.

If the glass doesn't have a gasket a plastic one can be added and it should help although it can be a bit complicated since the glass will sit a bit higher on the case, then again one could simply order a slightly thinner glass. It also depends on whether the case allows the installing of a gasket or not but most do...

I'm guessing it already has a screw down case back so if it doesn't have a rubber gasket one can be added so that's that.

It's a bit more complicated with the crown which is probably not screw in. You could give it SOME water resistance by adding a rubber gasket but such crowns have special indentations/slots for the gasket to be fit, then again the watch might already have a crown gasket or two (a gasket can also sit inside the crown, for some designs) if it has a rating of at least 100m.

Just don't get it wet...

Simon

Master
    Easier, cheaper, quicker to buy a WR watch!!! Millions are available at bargain prices in every conceivable style...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Easier, cheaper, quicker to buy a WR watch!!! Millions are available at bargain prices in every conceivable style...
    True, however the watch was a present. I can’t get rid of it and like it enough to wear it. I just don’t want to have to worry about water ingress while doing so.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ordo View Post
    It is possible but don't expect a very high water resistance.

If the glass doesn't have a gasket a plastic one can be added and it should help although it can be a bit complicated since the glass will sit a bit higher on the case, then again one could simply order a slightly thinner glass. It also depends on whether the case allows the installing of a gasket or not but most do...

I'm guessing it already has a screw down case back so if it doesn't have a rubber gasket one can be added so that's that.

It's a bit more complicated with the crown which is probably not screw in. You could give it SOME water resistance by adding a rubber gasket but such crowns have special indentations/slots for the gasket to be fit, then again the watch might already have a crown gasket or two (a gasket can also sit inside the crown, for some designs) if it has a rating of at least 100m.
    Thanks that’s useful Best thing is probably just to send it to a competent watch maker and ask them what they can do.

Grand Master
    Have to disagree with some of the advice.

There are two scenarios: a watch may have been designed to be water-resistant but owing to deterioration is now leaking. In principle this is fixable.

Secondly, if the watch hasn`t been designed to have any water resistance it's not feasible to modify it successfully. This depends on the design, but what I`m saying is generally true.

As for crowns, water resistance can be achieved without a screw-down crown....lets be clear about that point.

As a Sub-homage this watch has been designed to be water-resistant, in which case it's all about replacing seals and ensuring everything's fitting together correctly. That's entirely feasible and I`d expect most repairers to be willing to do it, or at least try. However, if this involves trying to source generic seals it can become a real pain......try finding the correct size of O ring for a crown! Unless someone has a big stock and is prepared to spend time finding one that'll work it becomes difficult.

If the glass doesn`t fit correctly that's probably where the problem lies, but why doesn`t it fit correctly? Has someone messed with it in the past and replaced it?

You don`t state whether the watch is new or recent etc........the better the info given the better the quality of the replies! Water resistance is a bbit like being pregnant, it either is or it isn`t; the rating is merely indicates what use it'll stand up to. A watch with 300m QWR has ZERO WR if a seal's damaged!

Paul

Grand Master
    Have to disagree with some of the advice.

There are two scenarios: a watch may have been designed to be water-resistant but owing to deterioration is now leaking. In principle this is fixable.

Secondly, if the watch hasn`t been designed to have any water resistance it's not feasible to modify it successfully. This depends on the design, but what I`m saying is generally true.

As for crowns, water resistance can be achieved without a screw-down crown....lets be clear about that point.

As a Sub-homage this watch has been designed to be water-resistant, in which case it's all about replacing seals and ensuring everything's fitting together correctly. That's entirely feasible and I`d expect most repairers to be willing to do it, or at least try. However, if this involves trying to source generic seals it can become a real pain......try finding the correct size of O ring for a crown! Unless someone has a big stock and is prepared to spend time finding one that'll work it becomes difficult.

If the glass doesn`t fit correctly that's probably where the problem lies, but why doesn`t it fit correctly? Has someone messed with it in the past and replaced it?

You don`t state whether the watch is new or recent etc........the better the info given the better the quality of the replies! Water resistance is a bbit like being pregnant, it either is or it isn`t; the rating is merely indicates what use it'll stand up to. A watch with 300m QWR has ZERO WR if a seal's damaged!

Paul

?

A cheaply made watch that looks like a diver, but wasn’t intended to be waterproof/resistant isn’t going to benefit much from some quality new seals. Maybe some bathroom sealant liberally applied all,over might over some resistance, but it will most like leak like a....
    It's just a matter of time...

Exactly ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    This post is Unreal! Why bother?

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    I’ve already explained why dinlow, read it again.

Grand Master
    I’ve never handled one of these but I’d expect the design to confer some water resistance.

They potentially leak from 3 places, that’s the glass, crown and caseback. Even at this price I find it hard to believe the watch isn’t designed to seal. It’s possible the watch is leaking down the pendant tube where it fits into the case, but this is quite rare.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I’ve never handled one of these but I’d expect the design to confer some water resistance.

They potentially leak from 3 places, that’s the glass, crown and caseback. Even at this price I find it hard to believe the watch isn’t designed to seal. It’s possible the watch is leaking down the pendant tube where it fits into the case, but this is quite rare.
    Having had another look I think the case back is either de-formed or not screwed in properly (e.g threaded) I’ll try and post a photo later.

Master
    Blog Entries
    With regards the screw down caseback a quick fix would be to PTFE the caseback threads tho not recommended as a long term fix.

With regards the crystal, if you need a custom machined water resistant i gasket making let me know.

Bry

Grand Master
    Having had another look I think the case back is either de-formed or not screwed in properly (e.g threaded) I’ll try and post a photo later.

Suggest you remove the caseback and investigate!

Master
    Couple of quick iPhone pics which hopefully show what i mean. Look at the difference between the two, there's definitely a gap between caseback and case on the 2nd IMO. This is exactly how it came from Parnis.

Last edited by rincewind; 14th February 2018 at 20:30. Reason: autocorrect fail

Blog Entries
    True, however the watch was a present. I can’t get rid of it and like it enough to wear it. I just don’t want to have to worry about water ingress while doing so.
    Quite honestly, I’d avoid wearing it in water. If water resistant then treat as such. Avoid showering, swimming, snorkelling wearing the same (sorry for the pseudo English).

Wear something else in water.

Martyn.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps an over thick o ring OR either not fully tightened down or threads not fully cut.

Grand Master
    Maybe I’ve missed a trick here........but has the watch actually leaked yet?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Maybe I’ve missed a trick here........but has the watch actually leaked yet?
    It has indeed.

100% not worth the effort.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Apprentice
    It depends on the level or WR you are seeking as dynamic and static WR are two different considerations.

For moderate swimming, you might be able to get by encapsulating your watch in hot sealing wax. Not recommended if you are going to go scuba diving or taking a plunge off an Olympic-sanctioned high dive platform.

Do you know, I've never even considered the hot sealing wax before. I must see if my local AD can offer the service before my next trip to the pool.

Probably cheaper to just set asides funds for a new one when you drown it... can't imagine you can get away with just bodging a waterproofing without a whole redesign.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    Probably cheaper to just set asides funds for a new one when you drown it... can't imagine you can get away with just bodging a waterproofing without a whole redesign.
    No!!

Nothing wrong with the design, the watch has a fault with the sealing!

Grand Master
    No!!

Nothing wrong with the design, the watch has a fault with the sealing! This should be fixable but it needs to go to a repairer to sort it out and then it'll have some water resistance......and trust me any is a whole lot better than none!.

- - - Updated - - -

No!!

Nothing wrong with the design, the watch has a fault with the sealing! This should be fixable but it needs to go to a repairer to sort it out and then it'll have some water resistance......and trust me any is a whole lot better than none!.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 15th February 2018 at 16:08.