The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

Top Gear Returns Sunday 25th February

Top Gear Returns Sunday 25th February on BBC 2

B

Two trailers here:

I'll be watching...
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Can't stand any of them and won't be watching...time to put it out to grass.

Craftsman
    Big no no for me... I loved the old days tho..

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Listen to you two stick in the muds – I bet you’ve got softer hands than Rory!
    Looks like a right hoot, I’m always up for being entertained…

Easy enough to make the trailer look good, let's hope the series can live up to it.

Got to be better the TGT series 2...

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Easy enough to make the trailer look good, let's hope the series can live up to it.

Got to be better the TGT series 2...

The last four or five episodes of TGT have been much better - and I speak as someone who thought it was terrible up to that point.

TG though has been maturing nicely with the new team, and still looks a bigger show with more variety and content even though it has a fraction of the budget.

Craftsman
    I will be watching, I think Chris Harris is one of the best motoring journalists around at the moment.
    Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Jimnic007 View Post
    I will be watching, I think Chris Harris is one of the best motoring journalists around at the moment.
    Cheers,
    He might be that, but he's not a great TV presenter.

Hopefully, we'll see even more reigning in of the 'shouty car expert' persona this series.

That said,I did quite enjoy the last series - Just needs Harris to stop being a cut price Clarkson...

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    That said,I did quite enjoy the last series - Just needs Harris to stop being a cut price Clarkson...
    Unlike JC, CH can drive.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I actually think MLB, CH and RB are gelling really well - and let's face it, they look like they should be driving those sorts of cars, hard, whereas Clarkson and Co now lookk like they would be much more comfortable in a Range Rover doing fifty in the outside lane...

Master
    Looking forward to it and really enjoyed the last series.
    I've also found The Grand Tour to be much improved and entertaining too so it's worked out well Clarkson et al left as now we get 2 shows instead of one. 

Cheers
    Neil

Master
    Really struggle to muster any enthusiasm for TG these days. I used to watch it without fail every Sunday but I don’t think it’s even on series link record these days.

That said, even though I’ve Amazon video I couldn’t make it past 2 episodes of GT.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Unlike JC, CH can drive.
    Then he should focus on that instead of trying to ape JC, poorly...

To be fair to him, he did seem to tone down as the last series progressed - I'm hoping he'll start off this series being himself.

M

To be fair, “aping” is probably the best way to imitate Clarkson...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    To be fair, “aping” is probably the best way to imitate Clarkson...
    Ha ha fair point, perhaps "Monkey Harris" was chosen for that reason?

M

Always room for more car shows on TV. Love TG, TGT, hell I even enjoy the new Wheeler Dealers, 5th Gear and Fast and Loud. Just need a Motor Bike show or two and I’ll be a happy man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quick reminder, back on tonight.

Master
    I just can't bear those three so called presenters they are just awful and I stopped watching this after trying to watch an episode with them presenting it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I just can't bear those three so called presenters they are just awful and I stopped watching this after trying to watch an episode with them presenting it.
    They simply dont do it for me as well.. I tried it on Netflix recently and it does not work

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I haven't watched it yet, but I'd like to say how disappointed I am.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Journeyman
    I think they try to much so I don't watch them anymore.

Did anyone watch it last night? I didn't think it was that bad - nice road trip though i felt it was a bit long and took up most of the hour. The star in a reasonably fast car was only ok.

Master
    Not watched it yet but I enjoyed the last series. I actually enjoyed it so much that I found the recent series of the Grand Tour with those 3 tedious and unwatchable.

Did watch it, yes quite fun Wish they would stop driving cheap boring cars though

Master
    Based on last nights show, I'm beginning to struggle to see the difference between the 2 shows.

I’ve started to enjoy the new Top Gear but thought last night’s episode was a little disappointing.

Master
    I want a go in that off road thing Ken Block drove. Now that thing looked fun.

Not great, not terrible. I think there is some chemistry coming through with the presenters now but Rory in particular is still struggling to make the scripted stuff look less, well, scripted. As a non-petrolhead, my wife pointed out that this show is definitely more car-orientated that Grand Tour.

At least TG has less inappropriate content for my 8 year old...

Craftsman
    I watched and it's wasn't too bad. Still prefer TGT as those 3 just gel.
    Don't forget there is an half hour Top Gear: Extra Gear too, I nearly missed it as it was on at 10.45pm Sunday.

I thought it was ok, my wife and ten year old son enjoyed it more..

They did better during the last season.

I thought it was a strange episode to start the series off with though, it seemed more of a mid season episode. They should have opened the season with more variety.

I’ll keep watching....

Grand Master
    I enjoyed it, still very watchable
    RIAC

I thought it was rubbish, wrecking Sparta cars off road and then racing two wheel drive against four wheel and pretending to be surprised by the result. Just seemed to be how much of our licence fee they could waste

Just watched the first 20 mins and that was enough. Who'd want to be an air filter :-(

Master
    I flicked channels and it was on so I just watched it for a bit and the first sounds I heard were that massively irritating Sabine who I can't bear she whoops and hollers and screams all the time it's just so annoying and watching those three together just confirmed to me how dull they are together, it's all been done before and so much better and the false laughs that they all come out with is just cringeworthy I won't be watching any again.

Craftsman
    I thought it was ok for the first episode of a new series, but obvious and stereotypical for the presenters.

Will watch the rest of the series though, as I am a car fan and there aren’t many shows covering the topic.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thought it was ok but Rory has to be on borrowed time. At the end there was some after show which he advertised and made it sound as boring as himself. Hence i did not watch it.

It was OK, Rory has had a few driving lessons, but I fail to see what he brings to the party.

Doing a story about V8 and fail to talk about a flat heads, the air-cooled V8 and totally exclude the Mopar cars (doh!). Even when they had a 427 GT40 on hand they failed to talk about in an detail. So disappointing.

Even the "Star" was a complete lightweight.

Monkey and Matt are good guys, but the TG vehicle (pun)is not quite working. They either need to go old school 5th Gear or do a sit com with cars.

ps the Cheap Maclean would have beaten the GT40 in a heartbeat.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Watched it for 15 minutes, that was enough for me.

Master
    Thumbs down from me

Ironically I yearn for a program that has content about everyday cars, like a new series of fifth gear

Trying to be funny isn’t the same as being funny. Still too scripted. Matt Le Blanc now at ease in the role, but the rest are still too try hard.

Plus, drifting is dull to watch and Jesus was there a lot of it! If you edited out the drifting the programme would only be ten minutes long.

Master
    "Plus, drifting is dull to watch and Jesus was there a lot of it! If you edited out the drifting the programme would only be ten minutes long."

What a great idea.

That glorious GT40 just made the program, wasn’t it wonderful.

Master
    So bad it was virtually like a bad old top gear - they desperately need to change the format otherwise it will forever be a poor imitation of Clarkson and crew....

Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    So bad it was virtually like a bad old top gear - they desperately need to change the format otherwise it will forever be a poor imitation of Clarkson and crew....
    That’s just the problem. Even old TG with Clarkson et al was pretty patchy. Awkward for the first few series, pretty good in the middle years, and then tired and stale for a while before they killed it off.

Unless they change the format, and the “new features” in both shows seemed to have fallen flat, then at best, they’re both chasing something that was only intermittently good and well past its prime.

The three presenters are just incredibly awkward and stilted in front of the camera, and the road trip lasted the whole episode and was very ‘meh’. I’m out

Master
    Like an earlier poster said, my first impression was just how similar to the Grand Tour it was, or how similar GT was to Top Gear, or something...

Is there really no other format for an interesting and entertaining car show?

That said, I thought it was all ok for what it was, the same as GT really.

really...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

A lot of people mentioned the fact of it being similar to the GT. But to be honest, is that really a bad thing? We have two high budget, polished car shows. What I'd like to see is some diversity in how they test cars and a variation of the road trip.

I prefer entertainment, and think a more hardcore based car show is not what Top Gear is and should be left to other programs.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    The three presenters are just incredibly awkward and stilted in front of the camera, and the road trip lasted the whole episode and was very ‘meh’. I’m out

Same here.....can't remember pressing fast forward so much for a motoring prog.