closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor submariner opinions

Tudor submariner opinions

I’ve been doing some reading and looking at various watches for sale,now I’ve seen this and would like to hear people’s opinions on its condition and originality,it’s from 1993 ,any help would be appreciated cheers mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you post a picture because I can't see any ...

Craftsman
    Yep, looks like you forgot the photo/link

i am a tool

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks GOOD.

Better than good. Get it bought.

Master
    Had a black dial 76100 a while ago, loved it, great watches. Looks pretty good from what I can tell. Dial and hands look original but possible service replacements, although my service dial and hands were superluminova items.

Ross Povey is the Tudor expert on here but not sure he's that active.

Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    Better than good. Get it bought.
    It looks the part without doubt but what if it's 5 grand+ ? Are we getting it bought then ?

^ I’d assume it’s competitively priced to be under serious consideration?

Craftsman

Tudor submariner opinions

I think it looks great, but it’s somewhat dependent on price (if you’re willing to share how much it’s up for...)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    .Ross Povey is the Tudor expert on here but not sure he's that active.
    We have other very knowledgeable members here where Tudor is concerned, I bought a blue 79090 from one of them and think they're much nicer than the black.

If it is the one I am thinking of, he is asking all the money for it, and says he is not negotiable.......
    But, a good 79090 in blue is not a common thing, and I have not been keeping up with prices for them lately. Perhaps this is what they are worth, but it feels high to me.
    I would say that I cannot see the case numbers, but the watch head looks good.
    There are no scars evident on the caseback from the endlinks, suggesting it had a strap for a while, or never got worn.
    Also, I see no numbers on the bracleet, which is wrong. Endlinks are numerated, but the bracelet should be as well. This suggests that the bracelet was added to an original clasp, or the old one was too worn to keep.
    On reflection those bracelet links are too new looking to be orignal at all. Not sure they taper correctly either.
    And for this money you DEFINITELY want an original bracelet.
    Hands have a little age to them (which is no bad thing).
    But otherwise nice.
    Do look for the other codes too, like the 76100.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    If it is the one I am thinking of, he is asking all the money for it, and says he is not negotiable.......
    But, a good 79090 in blue is not a common thing, and I have not been keeping up with prices for them lately. Perhaps this is what they are worth, but it feels high to me.
    I would say that I cannot see the case numbers, but the watch head looks good.
    There are no scars evident on the caseback from the endlinks, suggesting it had a strap for a while, or never got worn.
    Also, I see no numbers on the bracleet, which is wrong. Endlinks are numerated, but the bracelet should be as well. This suggests that the bracelet was added to an original clasp, or the old one was too worn to keep.
    On reflection those bracelet links are too new looking to be orignal at all. Not sure they taper correctly either.
    And for this money you DEFINITELY want an original bracelet.
    Hands have a little age to them (which is no bad thing).
    But otherwise nice.
    Do look for the other codes too, like the 76100.
    Dave
    You’ve probably seen it ,it’s at 4900 ,I’ve seen another at 5200 ,prices for black ones are all over 3-5k so didn’t think it was too bad ,if I was going to get a black one I think you may as well get a Rolex ,I think I’ll ask for some more pics of the bracelet

There website states it’s all original so I’ve asked for some more pics of the bracelet

Master
    They are beautiful things, looks like I bought mine at the right time. Makes a change!
    That looks lovely but at nearly £5k it puts it into the realms of lots of other things equally nice.

Master
    Colour of the steel Vs the end links is different as well which suggests it's a lot newer or a different kind of steel.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Master
    £5k is ridiculous. I would personally put the extra cash toward getting a proper snowflake.

Wow these things have really ramped up in price, about 3 years ago I nearly bought a mint lollipop with b&p for £2500! If you already have a Rolex Sub I can understand adding one of these to the collection but if not.... IMHO I’d start with the Rolex for that money!

Craftsman
    I have an all original blue 79090 from 1992. The end-links are stamped 380B and the (folded link) bracelet is stamped 9315. Hope this helps.

Craftsman

Tudor Submariner opinions

Does the watch come with paper work of any kind or an original box.?

Craftsman
    Price is a bit steep, but I guess if there are people paying those prices then the prices will inevitably rise to the sell prices listed..

received some more pictures of this ,trying to see if the case has had too much polishing,also the Tudor logo on the clasp looks a bit worn

Master
    Have you seen the one in the FS section? Seems well priced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Think that's the smaller 36mm version.

Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    I have an all original blue 79090 from 1992. The end-links are stamped 380B and the (folded link) bracelet is stamped 9315. Hope this helps.
    I think the bracelet is probably wrong has I’ve been looking at these 2 which must be the same as yours

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Yes I’ve seen it but it’s 36mm cheers

Too small and massively over priced. IMHO

Journeyman
    Overpriced vs what you can get for that money, IMO

Journeyman
    Eternally boring. For me Tudor is about a twist on original designs. Not ultra boring copies.

Banned
    Sub wannabes seem to be a dime a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by PMPM View Post
    Eternally boring. For me Tudor is about a twist on original designs. Not ultra boring copies.
    This is so wrong it is funny

Quote Originally Posted by Peteris View Post
    This too.

A Tudor IS a sub. Not a wannabe. The case has Original Oyster Case by Rolex Geneva engraved on it because that is exactly what it is, a Submariner case, with a Submariner crown, a Submariner bezel, and bracelet and clasp.
    They have built Tudor Subs since 1954, a LONG time before anyone invented the idea of a wannabe or hommage.
    And Tudor was founded by Wilsdorf (the founder of Rolex themselves) in order to bring expensive Rolex technology to a more affordable market by the use of "off the shelf" movements. That is Tudor's DNA, their raison d'etre and their method for 3/4 of their history. That founding has nothing to do with twists on designs at all, it is all about using the Rolex technology.

Dave

ps - I did say the bracelet was wrong a while back, but the OP chose to discuss price on my last comment, rather than the content of the post.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Sweets, newbie trolls not to be taken seriously.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Sweets, newbie trolls not to be taken seriously.

Mike
    I know, but sometimes..........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteris View Post
    Must be the stupidest comment I've read in a long time. Getting your post count up is one thing, but try and get an in depth view of something before just randomly commenting on things you clearly have no knowledge of.

OP, the Tudor case looks nice enough, so nothing wrong there. But the bracelet is not completely original. It should have 9315 stamped on the inside of the bracelet near the end links.

I know, but sometimes..........
    Yes I think your right about the bracelet,I’ve asked another dealer to send me some close up pictures of the bracelet and end links ,his reply was these are the only pictures we have,it’s like they don’t want to sell it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Yes I think your right about the bracelet,I’ve asked another dealer to send me some close up pictures of the bracelet and end links ,his reply was these are the only pictures we have,it’s like they don’t want to sell it

Think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, 380B end links are correct for this model I believe. Too expensive at circa £5k IMO too.

Banned
    Tudor was founded by Wilsdorf (the founder of Rolex themselves) in order to bring expensive Rolex technology to a more affordable market by the use of "off the shelf" movements..
    Thanks, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    We have other very knowledgeable members here where Tudor is concerned, I bought a blue 79090 from one of them and think they're much nicer than the black.
    I used to think the same too, that a blue 79090 was much nicer to look at than the black, but that was before I owned a 79090. I bought a black 79090 last year and I don't regret not buying a blue one. Got it for a keen price too, full set and unpolished and have a boner about it appreciating at a nice rate too!!

Blog Entries
    This is so wrong it is funny

This too.

A Tudor IS a sub. Not a wannabe. The case has Original Oyster Case by Rolex Geneva engraved on it because that is exactly what it is, a Submariner case, with a Submariner crown, a Submariner bezel, and bracelet and clasp.
    They have built Tudor Subs since 1954, a LONG time before anyone invented the idea of a wannabe or hommage.
    And Tudor was founded by Wilsdorf (the founder of Rolex themselves) in order to bring expensive Rolex technology to a more affordable market by the use of "off the shelf" movements.

All very well but if they are using 'off the shelf movements' which 'expensive Rolex technology' exactly are you getting? And given a sub no date just sold on SC for under 4.5k is it such a bargain?

That is Tudor's DNA, their raison d'etre and their method for 3/4 of their history. That founding has nothing to do with twists on designs at all, it is all about using the Rolex technology.

Dave

ps - I did say the bracelet was wrong a while back, but the OP chose to discuss price on my last comment, rather than the content of the post.

So my first comment on this thread indicated that I thought the price for this was too high.
    So no, not a bargain at all, especially given my comments on the non-original bracelet.
    And the expensive Rolex technology I am talking about is also as above - the case, crystal, crown, tube, caseback, dial, etc. In fact everything except the movement.
    I know that one Rolex N-D sub went cheap here, but we fool ourselves if we think that is the state of the market.
    It simply isn't, and if you compare the 79090 that is the subject of this thread to the equivalent simple trit-dialled Rolex from the same era, the Tudors do still represent good value, imho.
    Less good than they used to, but still okay.
    Dave

Grand Master
    Great watch,I've had a few blues and a few of the black ones,paid £1700 maybe three years ago and wish I'd kept them now!.

The one I have now is a minter......

bolx to this pic upload,I'm tired of it all again!!!!.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 26th April 2018 at 18:55.

Master
    I like it, nice twist from the Rolex family. Particularly like the blue.

Banned
    That is stunning , the fact it’s blue also means it’s less likely you’ll get the dreaded comment “ is that a Rolex “ !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I know that one Rolex N-D sub went cheap here, but we fool ourselves if we think that is the state of the market.
    It simply isn't, and if you compare the 79090 that is the subject of this thread to the equivalent simple trit-dialled Rolex from the same era, the Tudors do still represent good value, imho.
    Less good than they used to, but still okay.
    Dave
    And let's not forget that some people might actually prefer a Tudor, and for them, a Rolex, even at a bargain price, just might not scratch the itch. There is no reason that a watch this nice should only be considered second best to what everybody supposedly really wants.