closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three 'proper Omegas........

Master
    Well, I loved my 60s Seamaster DeVille, bought new. But are modern watches inferior in any way. This is an Omega made about eight years ago. From their 'museum' collection and supposed to derive from a 1938 Omega. It retains 'classic' looks, uses a manual wind co-axial movement and is accurate to a second or two per day. Inferior to a vintage Omega?

There is a tendency to think the past was better; but was it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    What’s even more interesting is the changes made to the bumper automatics over the years they were in production (early 40s to mid 50s). There are 3 rotor designs, and it’s obvious they increased the mass of the rotor to improve self- winding. The two later rotor designs look identical but are not interchangeable, I came across one last week that had been bodged to get the wrong rotor to work! It surprises me how durable these movements are, the rotor axle can break but doesn’t seem to wear badly, the pivots are jewelled so they don’t wear but they can get chipped or broken. Rotor axles are getting hard to source thesedays, I have 2 new ones in the spares box but once they’re gone I can’t get replacements.

Ironically, Omega’s later movements with fully rotating rotors give more problems owing to worn bushes and broken rotor axles on the 500.
    I do like the Bumpers in all the variants but I know what you mean that they have a few weak spots. The later calibres have their own issues as well but, when you consider they're 50 years plus old, they are certainly robust. The bumpers, like most watches, suffer mainly from neglect with flattened balance pivots, worn train pivots and so on. Plus, the bumpers loosen screws brilliantly. Had one in a few months ago that was completely locked because a dial screw had come out and got into the train... Just not tight enough -mind you, that was the least of its problems.

I am down to three of those axles in stock but, you could make them if really necessary -I shan't be doing it though as it'd take far too long when I can still source them for £30. I know, what a ridiculous price! At least you have a chance - when the 550 series rotor bushes wear, it's a new toothed bush that I couldn't make in a month of Sundays (might know someone who could but, I suspect too small for him) and even then you have to ream the hole for the axle you have. Bit annoying to put it mildly!

Must show some of my Omegas but am struggling (again) with uploading photos unless I host them myself. Anyway, keep showing those old beauties.

I don't see anything wrong with the latest models either but the 50s and 60s ones are special to me. I think it's an age thing and that's why I drive a '63 Jaguar.

Cheers, Chris

The Pie Pan is of course lovely, but that stepped dial Seamaster is a very appealing model I haven't seen before.

Craftsman
    That rose gold Seamaster is absolutely lovely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Paul, from your technical experience, which Omega is the one to go for in terms of movement quality? Quite like the idea of a gold auto, but not sure what the "pecking order" is regarding the models from about 1950 to 1980ish. Do you know of any website or resource which catalogues some of this info. ie: models, movements, case sizes, WR etc? Your 1950 rose gold is very attractive. What diameter case would that be?
    Last edited by Tiny; 19th February 2018 at 18:39.