closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How to learn!

How to learn!

Hi guys!!

I just bought this book!

https://imgur.com/a/UkZXv

I'm going to start reading it soon! do you have any book/video to suggest?

Thank you!!

Craftsman
    Just remember most of these books are dated now, but the information is still very relevant. Just use it as a good start.

The watch repairers manual by Henry Fried is also very good.

Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    Just remember most of these books are dated now, but the information is still very relevant. Just use it as a good start.

The watch repairers manual by Henry Fried is also very good.
    Thank you for you reply!

I'll buy the book!

I think I'll buy some cheap Chinese automatic watch, and try to disassemble and reassemble it!
    Or you have a better idea?

Journeyman
    For the same money I would buy a Vostok or a second hand Seiko 5.

Craftsman
    Personally I would avoid cheap movements like Seiko and autos from China.
    Get a large ETA pocket watch movement or a Chinese clone of it. ETA 6498 6497 etc.
    Cheap movements are hard to work on and hard to put together. With a manual wind, time only watch you won't get confused, it's the best start and will give the best results.

Get a large ETA pocket watch movement or a Chinese clone of it. ETA 6498 6497 etc.
    Cheap movements are hard to work on and hard to put together. With a manual wind, time only watch you won't get confused, it's the best start and will give the best results.
    I'll buy some time only pocket watch. Thank you!

For now I have a Skx009J that I dropped and I really want to fix it!

Finger crossed :D I have no idea of what i'm doing :D :D But I have passion! And I hope it's going to help me!

Anyone can suggest me a nice set of screwdrivers?

Thank you!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dankan87 View Post
    I'll buy some time only pocket watch. Thank you!

For now I have a Skx009J that I dropped and I really want to fix it!

Finger crossed :D I have no idea of what i'm doing :D :D But I have passion! And I hope it's going to help me!
    Try not to buy an old one that has a history. You would be amazed at how bodged up some of these old pocket watch movements are.

Try not to buy an old one that has a history. You would be amazed at how bodged up some of these old pocket watch movements are.
    Ok. Thank you!

Grand Master
    +1.....couldn’t agree more.

My advice is to sort out your lighting and work area before attempting anything. Bear in mind that a watch bench needs to be around 38-40” tall........there’s a good reason for that. A draughtsman’s chair is also highly recommended, once you’ve got the seat/posture correct and learned how to rest your forearms on the bench to stabilise your hands it’s surprising how easy it becomes.

A visit to a watch repairer would teach you a lot, actually seeing how it’s done is very worthwhile.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1.....couldn’t agree more.

My advice is to sort out your lighting and work area before attempting anything. Bear in mind that a watch bench needs to be around 38-40” tall........there’s a good reason for that. A draughtsman’s chair is also highly recommended, once you’ve got the seat/posture correct and learned how to rest your forearms on the bench to stabilise your hands it’s surprising how easy it becomes.

A visit to a watch repairer would teach you a lot, actually seeing how it’s done is very worthwhile.

Paul
    You just posted it a second after I posted that I'm trying to fix my skx :D :D

I'm in the process of buy a magnifying lens with a light in order to have a better view.

I have a nice comfy chair

Regarding the watch bench, I'm sure that is very useful but at my stage of knowledge it's a purchase that has to wait :D #

I hope you read my other post maybe you can help me :D

Thank you for the advices!