timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BMW X6 costs, experiences etc

BMW X6 costs, experiences etc

Another car thread

Seen a few sub £25k used approved with the bmw wuslitybthing

Costs overall?

Ownership feedback?

Highly recommended. Had use of one over 3 months and a little under 10,000 miles.

Think I managed c.31MPG with 70% motorway driving.

No faults or issues in that time.

Ride height was good - rear visibility from memory was poor and the boot is not particularly generous.

Mine was a 30d MSport (pre-facelift) with optional 21" wheels. Great car - would have another.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Abomination of a car!😉

I’m a big fan of BMW generally but that car really is the runt of the litter.

They are cheap for a reason.

Master
    I love the look, but for me lugging that size of car around, I’d rather the increased load space of the X5.

Yet found the back seat space surprisingly limited vs my F10 5 series. Surprisingly again, after test driving one, ended up with a Mini JCW as don’t need the space. My car purchases are slightly left of centre, shall we say.

Very much a statement car & for that reason the X6 is back on the potential list for my next car, as is a 5.0 mustang, or a TTRS or an M5, refer back to my left of centre decision making!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

A car for people with no taste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Mrs R said that they look like 'Batman's shopping car'..

Strange things.

Some chav in a village near here has one, looks quite a lot like the driver,,full of steroids.
    Last edited by number2; 6th February 2018 at 01:40.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s one of those cars that has an identity crisis.

Like most beemers, they're great to drive....but...
    I can't think of another BMW I would want less.
    There's a reason they don't hold their value.

BMW X6 costs, experiences etc

I had one when they first came out, after 3 x5 wanted something different and it was different. Dogs struggled to get in the back. No one too tall in the back, only really two adults in the back too. Not very practical, however drove nicely much less roll than the 5 seamed to be more eager. Comfortable to drive and be in. Not great to park really wide and thick doors. Ate £500 a corner tyres steadily. Was ok but only lasted 2 years and did not go back to one.

Master
    I have to say the concept of a 4x4 coupe seems to be filling a niche that didn't really exist (although Merc do a version too). I imagine there must be a fair amount of X5 underneath so should be fine but why wouldn't you buy an X5?

Love the look of them. Sniffed around a few last year. Went for a Porsche Cayenne instead.

As with anything big and heavy, they will eat through tyres, brakes and suspension bushes.

A Marmite car for sure, no right or wrong answer, if you like it that's all that matters.

Master
    I have to say, whenever I see one, I can’t think of a single reason why anyone would buy one. I’m not against BMW or SUVs in particular but it seems to answer a question no one ever did or ever should ask.

I’m not sure I have much in common with the drivers of those that I do see either. They do seem to be very pleased with their purchase and ensure that they are driven in the most obnoxious manner (disclaimer: might only apply to London and Essex...)

They seem to exist purely out of a statement of excess. Looks are subjective but I'm pretty sure prospective owners know most people think they are ugly and that may be part of the appeal. The same applies to the fact you can have an X5 which offers more space and better visibility for less money and is a statement in itself but not to the degree an X6 says "I am happy to forego all the benefits of an X5 to have something even uglier".

Personally I would have no problem owning/driving one but I can think of 4 or 5 cars in that segment which would get my money first.

Craftsman
    I like the look of them too, though too big for me as a city driver. Let's face it, most people buy an SUV not because they need it, but because they like the look/driving it. Just like watches really ("They seem to exist purely out of a statement of excess" seems really fitting in this context). So if you like it, you should get it - you are old enough to have your own opinion :) .

Great to drive? In what universe?

It's an X5 with a coupe body stuck on top of it - It's a truck like barge.

Maybe better than other truck like barges from 15 years ago, but not compared with any car.

The press got all in a lather over the X5/X6 when launched as they 'drove like cars', but anyone who's driven or followed one will know they don't drive like any decent car from the last 20 years unless your journey is strictly in a straight line.

To be fair, the usual quote was "Drives like a car, but why buy this instead of an X5?"

The second bit still holds, it's a stupid looking creation, like a giant Nissan Juke...

But if you like it, why ask?

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 8th February 2018 at 10:11.

An X5 is way better with none of the silliness of the X6.

Master
    Anything with a BMW 6 pot diesel is generally good and reliable. The trouble is the image and general look of these hideous vehicles. If you don't mind making small children cry as you drive past then go for it.

Funnily enough, an acquaintance of mine bought one just before Christmas. He's probably the stereotypical target buyer for such a vehicle. He's an obnoxious, steroid fueled, slum dwelling loud mouth.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Master
    I can remember one being tested on top gear and it got absolutely slated

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    He's an obnoxious, steroid fueled, slum dwelling loud mouth.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
    Pretty much the target market for these. Just need the drug dealer income to pay for it.

Reminds me of the bad robocop in robocop

Properly ugly

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think the X6 looks ok. Not beautiful, by any stretch, but I never quite understood why it gets so much stick when the Cayenne is a far, far uglier car (especially the 1st gen, which is a complete honker), the prev gen RR Sport is no looker, and the Q7 is a bit of a whale (again especially 1st gen).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think the X6 looks ok. Not beautiful, by any stretch, but I never quite understood why it gets so much stick when the Cayenne is a far, far uglier car (especially the 1st gen, which is a complete honker), the prev gen RR Sport is no looker, and the Q7 is a bit of a whale (again especially 1st gen).
    I always think of Alien (specifically its long curved head) when I see the Q7 :)

As others have said why not get an x5 or even an x3 at a push instead. Has nothing really going for it except maybe road presence as it’s bloody huge.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    As others have said why not get an x5 or even an x3 at a push instead. Has nothing really going for it except maybe road presence as it’s bloody huge.
    If you want that, get a Luton bodied Transit!

At least it's useful

M

Master
    No way. My old Cayenne is positively pretty beside the X6. X6 is a design and aesthetic howler that screams 'lookatmeeeeeeee'.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    No way. My old Cayenne is positively pretty beside the X6. X6 is a design and aesthetic howler that screams 'lookatmeeeeeeee'.
    Isn't it more "Whadareyulooingatyawanka!?!?!?"?

M

Journeyman
    Agree with this. Never had one and not sure I would now but a friend of mine did and I personally like the uniqueness and look of them. It is also a lot of car for sub £25k

IMHO
    Porsche made a mistake with the Cayenne styling and the new one being launched (next month i think) doesn't go far enough in the looks dept. I would have bought one otherwise on a couple of occasions.
    We went for a Macan in the end, which looks a lot better and really does drive/handle like a car. Just returned from its 3rd European/alpine trip in less than 13months and is a pleasure to drive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Isn't it more "Whadareyulooingatyawanka!?!?!?"?

M
    That probably covers it better!!