Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: And so it begins - Rolex predictions for Baselworld 2018

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
    Collectors piece :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Mine is going back in the safe....

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Mines waiting at the AD for me to collect. New one looks good though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Mine is going back in the safe....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Mines waiting at the AD for me to collect. New one looks good though.
    Tough call! I do like the look of the new one.

Master
    Tough call! I do like the look of the new one.

Easy solution. Get both.

Master
    Actually I had always intended to keep my d blue for my son, his birth year watch. Hopefully get a new one to wear as is one of my faves ever.

Brushed would've been too good to be true.
    Jubilee over PCL.

Craftsman
    Easy solution. Get both.

That's what I would do. Just need to try and get the new one now....

Master
    That's what I would do. Just need to try and get the new one now....

Great minds....

Master
    Collectors piece :)

I wouldn't put money on that.

Craftsman
    I don't know if this has been noticed already, but the white gold Pepsi is on Rolex's site, but with a blue dial.

https://www.rolex.com/watches/gmt-ma...blro-0002.html
    Last edited by mjgerrard; 21st March 2018 at 15:33.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    They're chatting tosh. How would an AD know what's being released so much in advance as to have filled lists ages ago?

My bet is they just have their favourite customers and anything new that comes in from Basel they auto offer to them first.

I wouldn't say its tosh... they don't know what is being released, he was saying its crazy as people are putting their name down for anything that is released new this year, whatever it is. And I assume ADs will always have a favourite customers if they drop money with them in this manner. Would they not be your favourite?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Are the plain black and white dial options for the Oyster Perpetal 39 new today?

Ditto on the OP 36

Never seen these before myself... so I'd say these are new. Thats a day three lets get the press in to show them off after the big ticket pieces have flooded the web. I bet the black looks really good in the metal.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    I don't know if this has been noticed already, but the white gold Pepsi is on Rolex's site, but with a blue dial.

https://www.rolex.com/watches/gmt-ma...blro-0002.html
    Thanks for sharing, didn't notice that.. Also the list price has dropped a couple of thousands Euro from the previous Black dial model!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    Does slimmer lugs mean a redesigned Submariner case also?
    I hope so, though the two references haven't shared a mid case since the five-digit days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I wouldn't put money on that.
    Indeed, just look at how the value of the SDc4000 tanked after it was discontinued.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Indeed, just look at how the value of the SDc4000 tanked after it was discontinued.

Bit of a different scenario though!

Actually it just dawned on me that this dial is in fact a new design in the 39mm range. Not a mixture of indices but all lummed one size.

Nothing on the web about these yet from what I can see.

Rang local AD and asked to be put on 'the list' for the GMT - got directed to go online and register my interest.

Chances I never hear anything... high. Although they did ask if I was local (I am) but then asked if I had purchased from them before (I haven't, but purely by chance).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Bit of a different scenario though!
    different as you say. One was unloved and available in pretty much any AD until discontinued. One much sought after, long wait list and making well over rrp second hand, then discontinued....

Master
    Blog Entries
    different as you say. One was unloved and available in pretty much any AD until discontinued. One much sought after, long wait list and making well over rrp second hand, then discontinued....

One was replaced with pretty much the same watch. One wasn't replaced.

Craftsman

Not sure about this really. The new DSSD is no dramatic departure from the older model - it merely solves the problems (the bracelet) of the older model. I for one would not pick the older model over the new - they're too similar and the newer model is the much better watch.

In a slightly different context, the 16600 SD's didn't go mad in value after the 116600 SD's came out. The SD4k is a bit of a white elephant tbh.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    One was replaced with pretty much the same watch. One wasn't replaced.
    New case, bracelet, movement. Same dial. Of course, Rolex collectors don't focus upon small differences.

Master
    Of course nobody knows how prices of luxury items will go. Tulip bulbs anyone?

Craftsman
    New case, bracelet, movement. Same dial. Of course, Rolex collectors don't focus upon small differences.

Dial has changed at 6, crown between Swiss made.

Master
    Dial has changed at 6, crown between Swiss made.

I stand corrected.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I'd still like to see a black dialled Oyster Perpetual 39 Date, but given the Datejust 41 I know it will never happen. Some new dials for the Oyster Perpetual 39 would be good too - the blue dial is almost lovely, but green lume????
    Close enough - I'd like a prize of some sort please!

https://www.rolex.com/watches/oyster...4300-0005.html
    Last edited by Itsguy; 21st March 2018 at 16:39.

Not sure about this really. The new DSSD is no dramatic departure from the older model - it merely solves the problems (the bracelet) of the older model. I for one would not pick the older model over the new - they're too similar and the newer model is the much better watch.
    Agree with this. A more similar situation is the updates to the 39mm Explorer. Whilst there will ultimately be fewer models produced with shorter hands and lack of lume on the numerals, I don't think they will trade at a premium over the revised example, as ultimately they are a less desirable iteration.

In a slightly different context, the 16600 SD's didn't go mad in value after the 116600 SD's came out. The SD4k is a bit of a white elephant tbh.

How can you say with any authority that "the newer model is the much better watch" here??

In theory, the new one rights what some see an issue with the current bracelet (not something I personally have an issue with my own on my wrist now) but until it's on the wrist and assessed fully no one really knows if it's "better" or just, perhaps, "different"....

Craftsman

Obviously, all experiences differ but there has been a rise in 16600 SDs since the SD43 came out in my experience. There were obviously long standing rumours of a Sea Dweller Anniversary long before one came out and it was my hunch that it would drag up interest in the 16600 when it came. I also figured on 16600s being chronically undervalued for a long time for as far as I could see it-no reason.

In 2016 it was incredibly easy to pick one up in great condition for just under/around £4k. Mine is now in the window of a dealers at just under £7k with trade offers being around £5k. From retail to trade that's an uplift of a thousand pound (25%).

Not bad business all in all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    Obviously, all experiences differ but there has been a rise in 16600 SDs since the SD43 came out in my experience.
    Prices on the 16600 absolutely tanked when the SD4K came out. They have only started to creep up since it's discontinuation. It's currently one of the most undervalued of the references. Totally orthogonal to the SubDweller, there has been a constant rise in all prices.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    Obviously, all experiences differ but there has been a rise in 16600 SDs since the SD43 came out in my experience. There were obviously long standing rumours of a Sea Dweller Anniversary long before one came out and it was my hunch that it would drag up interest in the 16600 when it came. I also figured on 16600s being chronically undervalued for a long time for as far as I could see it-no reason.

In 2016 it was incredibly easy to pick one up in great condition for just under/around £4k. Mine is now in the window of a dealers at just under £7k with trade offers being around £5k. From retail to trade that's an uplift of a thousand pound (25%).

Not bad business all in all.
    Tell me about it - I REALLY want a 16600 to join my collection. Could have done without everyone discovering how cool they are all of a sudden.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    How can you say with any authority that "the newer model is the much better watch" here??

In theory, the new one rights what some see an issue with the current bracelet (not something I personally have an issue with my own on my wrist now) but until it's on the wrist and assessed fully no one really knows if it's "better" or just, perhaps, "different"....
    Agreed, I don't have much authority here. All I have to go on is that the (somewhat small) amount of owners I have spoken with have felt that the bracelet being a bit weirdly small for the watch was the one thing they would change - however they all brush it off as an issue because they love the watch overall - and that's fair enough. Now of course, subjectively speaking one could prefer this smaller bracelet over the newer one, but that's unlikely and given the new movement also has some advantages I'd struggle to see why someone would pick the older one over the newer one. But that's just me...

Craftsman
    Tell me about it - I REALLY want a 16600 to join my collection. Could have done without everyone discovering how cool they are all of a sudden.
    They are still very reasonable though, although it's in a window on SoR at a high price £5.5 would still buy it on a private sale.

Master
    It is all about rarity with Rolex, as far as I can see at least. The new issue of the DSSD would incline me to think that the model will be made for at least the medium term future. That means that most people who want one should be eventually be able to get hold of either dial colour, but there will be no more of the original ones. With the original dial/case/bracelet/moment. How that alters used values is anyone's guess. Who would have thought that a change in the four on an LV bezel would have such am influence on value. Rarity?

Master
    The determination of people to insist that all Rolex sports watches will make them a profit is unconvincing. People gambled on the Deepsea being discontinued. Instead, there is a very similar, but better version. The mark one may rise in value, but it's no SD4000 by any stretch.
    Let's see how many come onto the market. Because we just don't know how the market will see this.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The determination of people to insist that all Rolex sports watches will make them a profit is unconvincing.
    This started when people had access to easy credit and could buy watches that they couldn't otherwise afford, under the premise that they will always increase in value. It's a form of renting, and it's really perverted the watch collecting hobby.

"Perverted"?!

Master
    "Perverted"?!
    per·vert·ed
    pərˈvərdəd/Submit
    adjective
    (of a person or their actions) characterized by sexually abnormal and unacceptable practices or tendencies.
    "he whispered perverted obscenities"
    synonyms: unnatural, deviant, warped, corrupt, twisted, abnormal, unhealthy, depraved, perverse, aberrant, immoral, debauched, debased, degenerate, evil, wicked, vile, amoral, wrong, bad; More
    (of a thing) having been corrupted or distorted from its original course, meaning, or state.
    "this sudden surge of perverted patriotism"

Secondary meaning.

It used to be guys spending their disposable income on cool watches. Now it's guys "investing" their nest eggs in hopes that they get to wear an awesome watch while beating the market's return.

Master
    I’ve always loved the deepsea, and have constantly had one in my collection since 2011. As it is, I have every iteration of the modern ceramic sea dweller in my collection and feel a little disappointed that the deepseas have only had a re-vamp rather than bringing out a new model. The deepsea is 10 years old this year, so it can’t have been that bad, but I can’t see me wanting to add both iterations of the 126660 to my collection when the 116660 is so similar.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    This started when people had access to easy credit and could buy watches that they couldn't otherwise afford, under the premise that they will always increase in value. It's a form of renting, and it's really perverted the watch collecting hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    per·vert·ed
    pərˈvərdəd/Submit
    adjective
    (of a person or their actions) characterized by sexually abnormal and unacceptable practices or tendencies.
    "he whispered perverted obscenities"
    synonyms: unnatural, deviant, warped, corrupt, twisted, abnormal, unhealthy, depraved, perverse, aberrant, immoral, debauched, debased, degenerate, evil, wicked, vile, amoral, wrong, bad; More
    (of a thing) having been corrupted or distorted from its original course, meaning, or state.
    "this sudden surge of perverted patriotism"

Secondary meaning.

It used to be guys spending their disposable income on cool watches. Now it's guys "investing" their nest eggs in hopes that they get to wear an awesome watch while beating the market's return.

If they are buying watches on credit, they aren’t exactly spending their nest egg.

Mmm, yes, I know English words, and their meanings, I was querying the conceitedness of thinking that the evolution was somehow problematic. How dare those not so rich as I have access to the same pleasures, etc? Of course, the solution would be to be so rich that prices are immaterial, no matter how much they get pushed up by oiks indulging in treats they really don't deserve.

Master
    Let's see how many come onto the market. Because we just don't know how the market will see this.[/QUOTE]

My point exactly. No one knows.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That new TT rose gold GMT is a belter too.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    That new TT rose gold GMT is a belter too.

Agreed, beautiful watch.

126660 vs 116660

Better lighting seems the biggest change

^
    Also, the end links apparently don't stick out past the lugs any more.

The rolex emblem in the dial has spoilt it

126660 vs 116660

Better lighting seems the biggest change

As noted the bracelet is the biggest change, fitting better and by accounts not feeling flimsy with the watch head.

Also hands look new - minute hand is longer, hour hand bolder. Bezel triangle looks wider too. Thats what I can pick quickly from those pictures.

As ever with Rolex its little tweeks that improves things.
    Last edited by OliverCD; 22nd March 2018 at 12:19.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post

Actually it just dawned on me that this dial is in fact a new design in the 39mm range. Not a mixture of indices but all lummed one size.

Nothing on the web about these yet from what I can see.
    https://www.rolex.com/watches/oyster...l#configurator

This is very nice with the black sunburst dial. A smart, and cheaper alternative to the Explorer, Airking and Date Just models.