closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: And so it begins - Rolex predictions for Baselworld 2018

Craftsman

And so it begins - Rolex predictions for Baselworld 2018

The usual suspects have started to release their articles on Rolex predictions this year:

https://monochrome-watches.com/rolex...-watches-2018/

http://rolexpassionreport.com/25534/...rld-novelties/

The usual "take it with a pinch of salt" rules apply of course. I'm not sure there's anything in particular that I would get excited about - though the ideas of an annual calendar day-date are quite swish.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I've got my fingers crossed for a coke ss gmt.

Master

I’d be all over a Coke GMT. As a Southampton fan it would probably replace the (Portsmouth) BLNR for me!

Suspect a sports model gets Oysterflex and new 3235 mechanisms.

Master
    Slimmer lugs would be great, but is it really possible that Rolex would can the Maxi case so quickly?? Also like the ceramic bezel idea on an explorer 2 - I'd grab one if the bezel was lumed too!

So close to Basel, I think I'm better off waiting til I decide on a new watch.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

I think this is the year that will see the 32xx offered across the range as standard equipment.

Can’t wait for a BLNR with the 32xx and 70 hours power reserve.

Master
    They've been predicting a ceramic bezel Explorer 2 forever. These guys just regurgitate the same stuff over and over until it either gets made or the reference gets discontinued. That, plus a very tiny amount of inside info every so often, makes them appear more credible than someone just making a buch of obvious guesses - which is precicely what they are.

Banned
    Not Rolex as Such but I'm saying there will be a GMT Tudor.

My wild guess is a new ceramic Daytona with a splash of colour.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

A slimmer SubC would have me buying. I still prefer black/blue combo over red/black for the GMT though.

Those ceramic explorer mock ups are ghastly though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    A slimmer SubC would have me buying. I still prefer black/blue combo over red/black for the GMT though.

Those ceramic explorer mock ups are ghastly though.
    It would be funny to see what happens to the fat subs if Rolex slims the case. People have embraced them, out of necessity I think, but I don't think the will be well loved in the future.

Master

Master
    Given that, whatever it is, you won't be able to buy one, who cares? It just gets tedious. The endless waiting lists, and the huge black-market have destroyed the fun. They are fine watches , but not remotely worth all the fuss. Not to me, anyway.

Master
    I think we'll see the newer movement in the Sub.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Can't see the Coke or Pepsi GMT in SS whilst there is still a waiting list for the BLNR.

Master
    Most of us won't be able to get them anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I thought that last year about my blue dialled Skydweller. But it came through ok. I appreciate that this was partially down to luck of the allocation but you never know! It's worth getting your name down for something ASAP just in case.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I’ve managed to get Daytona Ceramics, SD43 and Sky-Dweller blue dial from AD’s early after Basel 2016 and 2017.

Maybe lucky, or maybe just persistence.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Given that, whatever it is, you won't be able to buy one, who cares? It just gets tedious. The endless waiting lists, and the huge black-market have destroyed the fun. They are fine watches , but not remotely worth all the fuss. Not to me, anyway.
    +1........the speculation is mildly amusing and the fact that some folks will want the new offerings simply because they’re new and hard to get.

As ever, all will be revealed in due course!

Journeyman
    I’d like to think Coke GMT SS but probably nothing that interesting

Master
    I'm guessing a minor, trivial update to the same watches they've been making for the last 60 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    It would be funny to see what happens to the fat subs if Rolex slims the case. People have embraced them, out of necessity I think, but I don't think the will be well loved in the future.
    People were saying the same about the Daytona 116520 when the ceramic version came out.

Craftsman
    I'd love a GMT Tudor, I'm sure that would sell really well.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    A lot of the same predictions as last year here. Nothing particularly new

Movement update in sports Rolex models. Then I would imagine they start shipping them out to ADs and the big wait lists go down quickly. It’s not only the UK that has no stock, it’s all over the world. If a newer movement was to be released in the sports models it would explain why there haven’t been many watches available to buy recently as Rolex have probably run down what stock they do have with the older movements.

Master
    They incorrectly predicted the Coke gmt last year - in fact that’s probably the same picture I saw on there last year. However the year before in January they showed the black and white 116500 (shown there again) so I emailed the AD I deal with and asked to go first on the list - he laughed but agreed. When it was announced in March I got it, so sometimes they are right, sometimes they aren’t.

It’s all a bit of harmless harm and it would be nice to see the coke (cannot see the Pepsi either ever or a long time after the white gold version is discontinued).

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I would like a return to smaller / lighter watches. I'd like an original sized explorer 2. Modern version of a 1655.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Given that, whatever it is, you won't be able to buy one, who cares?
    Who says?

Craftsman
    Agreed - its just a bit of fun really and shouldn't be taken too seriously. Some nice mockups on both sites - but regardless of what the new models look like, I do think that there will be some changes to the sports models which would explain the lack of stock everywhere.

Master
    Whatever they selling I’m gonna get myself on the list! £££££

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever comes out I just wish Rolex would address the immediate profiteering problem. Price the watches as necessary and make them readily available to anyone who wants one.

This would kill off the premiums being asked and I suspect that if a new watch was freely available in every AD window many on here would immediately lose interest and not buy. Also, more watches sold equals more profit for Rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    People were saying the same about the Daytona 116520 when the ceramic version came out.
    What I saw was people saying that the 116520 was the worst modern Daytona. Not vintage cool like a zenith and nor modern ceraminc like the new one.

Nobody is banging down the door to buy a short hand explorer 1 after they released a better looking version.

New movements and the price increase everybody has been wanting…….oh and discontinue the DSSD please

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    What I saw was people saying that the 116520 was the worst modern Daytona. Not vintage cool like a zenith and nor modern ceraminc like the new one.

Nobody is banging down the door to buy a short hand explorer 1 after they released a better looking version.
    But the predicted drop in desirability and subsequent drop in value never materialised.

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    I think we'll see the newer movement in the Sub.

This is what I think. There seems to be the odd GMT around at the moment in ADs but very few subs. Would make sense if they were replacing the movement. Esp since there's already a new one in the SD43.

I also think they'll kill off the current line of Milgauss.

And also, yes, put the prices up across the board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Been on a Coke list for months! Updated Sub doesn't interest me though...

Craftsman
    But the predicted drop in desirability and subsequent drop in value never materialised.
    Isn't that only because you can't get anything else?

If the ceramic was available everywhere I think we'd see a big drop on the old ones

Master
    Not long term. I paid $9000 for my NOS Daytona right at the height of "omg ceramic!!!". I don't the square sub would fair the same.

SS coke gmt would be nice but can't see that happening to be fair with current demand for sports range being mental

Quote Originally Posted by OliverD View Post

If the ceramic was available everywhere I think we'd see a big drop on the old ones
    But it isnt available everywhere and never will be.

New movement in a slim lugs 40mm Sub will make me want one.

If it happens though, it will be the date dial, not the proper Submariner. So no danger buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverD View Post

Right, because the older a Rolex sports reference is, the less it's generally worth. ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Right, because the older a Rolex sports reference is, the less it's generally worth. ;)
    Well yes if you wait long enough I'm sure you'd do alright, but the 14060 and 16610 haven't gone through the roof like the 116520 has and they certainly don't sell for more than a new sub.

If the ceramic daytona was more widely available I think you'd see the 116520 drop back to under list price.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think we will see the sub get the updated movement, after that who knows. I would like to see the update make it across to the GMT range too, however I am not convinced it will. The only thing I would really like to see would be a glidelock added to the whole sports range, or the choice of oyster of super jubilee.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Can't see the Coke or Pepsi GMT in SS whilst there is still a waiting list for the BLNR.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new TT root beer.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't mind seeing a new TT root beer.

Master
    Some good mock-ups in those links. The white explorer looks cool but fanciful - they're all about the lume so how would that work? Or is the dial intended to be luminous? The red sub with thinner lugs looks like an improvement, but I wouldn't put money on it.

We've seen the picture of the ceramic bezel Explorer II before and it looks cool at first glance, but less plausible the longer you look. Probably too similar to a GMT or Sub in the end, the steel bezel being more or less the point of the Explorer II. The annual calendar day date is a neat idea.

In reality, it's hard to get a sense of the direction they're going in from the recent releases, especially when you factor in the Air King. Probably something good, something gaudy, and something inexplicable, plus a few incremental updates. I'd still like to see a black dialled Oyster Perpetual 39 Date, but given the Datejust 41 I know it will never happen. Some new dials for the Oyster Perpetual 39 would be good too - the blue dial is almost lovely, but green lume????

Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    I'm guessing a minor, trivial update to the same watches they've been making for the last 60 years.
    most likely this. maybe a slight colour change of the gents datejusts and bejewelled variation of the midsize.
    it’s not as if they have released anything in the last decade to really shake things up.

Master
    I nearly put a bet on for Scotland to win the 6 nations, so my prediction would be a smart Rolex in rose gold and diamonds.

Master

My money is on a slimmer submariner and gmt. But I’m more interested in what Tudor has to offer.

I can't see them slimming down the current 40mm sports cases. As much as I'd love the 'smaller watches are coming back' thing to be true I just can't see it happening. I doubt they will change the case size of the current 40mm sports range this year but when they do I'd imagine it'll be up to 42mm or larger, all be it with slimmer lugs as per the current SD43. New movement upgrades to Subs makes sense and as others have pointed out this may be why they appear to be holding back steel sports supply right now.

A coke GMTc would be a thing of beauty but I am neither in a position to buy right now nor would I be prepared to go through the slightly undignified process of trying to secure one from an AD that a 'nobody' like me seems to have to go through!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I can't see them slimming down the current 40mm sports cases. As much as I'd love the 'smaller watches are coming back' thing to be true I just can't see it happening.
    I wouldn’t see this so much as part of the ‘smaller watches are coming back’ thing as a case of them just looking better when the lugs flow into the bracelet. Though it’s true that the fat lugs have served to bulk up smaller sizes, and I’m not expecting that to change either. On the plus side I suppose at least these watches will last and may actually look better as time goes by and the lugs are refinished to remove dings, a bit like the lume ageing gracefully in older models.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 5th February 2018 at 17:49.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I wouldn’t see this so much as part of the ‘smaller watches are coming back’ thing as a case of them just looking better when the lugs flow into the bracelet. Though it’s true that the fat lugs have served to bulk up smaller sizes, and I’m not expecting that to change either. On the plus side I suppose at least these watches will last and may actually look better as time goes by and the lugs are refinished to remove dings, a bit like the lume ageing gracefully in older models.

They could go the other way and fit the wider bracelet from the SD.