closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Binoculars

Master

Binoculars

I know a few on here like there binoculars so I’m asking for advice.
    I’m after a pair of binoculars that are fairly compact and lightweight to throw in my search bag for SAR duties, so reasonably compact and lightweight, whilst being robust budget isn’t huge as they won’t be used everyday, so maximum of £200 but I’d prefer £150 or less ideally.
    What can people recommend, if it helps I can get a good deal for myself on Celestron products but don’t know how good they are?

As a keen racegoer they are back in vogue

Some absolute baragain finds in the bay

It’s nirmally the “all the gear and no idea” brigade

Indeed I now have a decent pair and a single scope too

Both for peanuts compared to your budget

Pentax 6.5x21 Papilio II (link):

Pros
    small and light
    close focus
    reviewLink for 8.5x21 version

Cons
    lacks waterproofing
    21 mm objective - not great in low light
    rubber covered but not 'armoured'

If you keep them in your bag in a something like a neoprene pouch for protection, I think you'll be pleased with them. At £115 (see link), IMO, they're a bargain. What else might you buy? Something with a larger objective would be good, eg 7 or 8 x 32, but they'll be heavier. Fully armoured and waterproof would also be good, but they'll be more expensive.

Do any or your colleagues carry binoculars? What do they use? Their opinions will give you something to go on, especially as to the need for the light gathering (objective size) and magnification (usually 7 or 8, max 10 for hand holding).

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I've some Leica Trinovids for best but turn to a pair of Barr and Stroud Sierra 8x32 for regular use
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barr-Stroud...ud+sierra+8x32
    Leica's they are not but for the money they are excellent optics.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I've some Leica Trinovids
    Ahhhh just the cheap ones then....

I have been using these on safari for the last 2 years and they are impeccable. Really really amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics.../dp/B004803YTW

If you want something for SAR you want large lenses for luminosity. 7x42 or 7x50 would be good.
    Then you have to see if you can deal with the bulk. Waterproof is good too.
    Plenty of very decent binos that fit the above and your budget.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Ahhhh just the cheap ones then....
    Maybe I'll have to upgrade to Ultravids at some stage 😉 but the point was despite having the Leicas to hand I've ended up still using the Barr and Strouds more.

I went through the binocular buying process a couple of years ago. Did all the usual research as I would buying a laptop or similar but going to a shop was far more valuable. Tried the full range of price points in various magnifications and sizes and learnt a lot from the shop owner (binocular shop, not just a camera shop that sold bins). Went away, did some more research then went back to the shop to make a final decision.

Ended up with a very nice set of 9x32 Pentax waterproof roof prism which are the perfect compromise of quality, size, magnification and price for me. I'm sure some would say compromise is the operative word here as they are neither full size or truly compact, but I love them, and they really are a pleasure to use.

With something very personal like optics, reviews will never give you the whole story.

Craftsman
    Have you considered second hand? Try these people, http://focusoptics.eu/second-hand/used-binoculars/ I have used them, they are very knowledgable. Like watches, I would prefer excellent condition second hand high quality before new lower quality.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Pentax 6.5x21 Papilio II (link):
    Pros
    small and light
    close focus
    reviewLink for 8.5x21 version

Cons
    lacks waterproofing
    21 mm objective - not great in low light
    rubber covered but not 'armoured'

If you keep them in your bag in a something like a neoprene pouch for protection, I think you'll be pleased with them. At £115 (see link), IMO, they're a bargain. What else might you buy? Something with a larger objective would be good, eg 7 or 8 x 32, but they'll be heavier. Fully armoured and waterproof would also be good, but they'll be more expensive.

Do any or your colleagues carry binoculars? What do they use? Their opinions will give you something to go on, especially as to the need for the light gathering (objective size) and magnification (usually 7 or 8, max 10 for hand holding).
    I have the higher mag version of these. I think it is 8.5x21. They are truly excellent for the money, pretty robust but offer a bright clear image.

Craftsman
    i use these...Swarovski CL Pocket 8x25 ...wish i got the 8x32 though

Good place to start.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I have the higher mag version of these. I think it is 8.5x21. They are truly excellent for the money, pretty robust but offer a bright clear image.

Those are now on Amazon at a very reasonable price (IMO) of £119.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I've some Leica Trinovids for best but turn to a pair of Barr and Stroud Sierra 8x32 for regular use
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barr-Stroud...ud+sierra+8x32
    Leica's they are not but for the money they are excellent optics.

Another vote for B&S.

Ive been using the waterproof Barr & Stroud Sahara 10x42. No complaints.
    Last edited by johny; 24th February 2018 at 01:20.

Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    Some good ideas there, but I'm not sure how much the OP was into astronomy.

In my experience, real world application means that quality of optics can trump objective lens diameter for low light capability; my 10x25 ultravids can practically see in the dark.

So I would say bump your budget to the max, and go for high quality (Leica/Zeiss/Swarovski), small size bins. Used will further increase the quality that you can afford.

Ffordes (no affiliation) currently have these, I’d be all over them if I was you!

Zeiss. £149. Small size low weight.

http://www.ffordes.com/product/17092515494181
    Last edited by JGJG; 24th February 2018 at 21:25.

Master
    been in the market for some new binos for a while-old Celestron cheapos ; like to have some better quality ones and smaller for travelling with. followed the tips on here and bagged some Hawke Endurance ED 8x32 for a reasonable sum, thanks to the OP for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    In my experience, real world application means that quality of optics can trump objective lens diameter for low light capability; my 10x25 ultravids can practically see in the dark.

So I would say bump your budget to the max, and go for high quality (Leica/Zeiss/Swarovski), small size bins. Used will further increase the quality that you can afford.

Ffordes (no affiliation) currently have these, I’d be all over them if I was you!

Zeiss. £149. Small size low weight.

http://www.ffordes.com/product/17092515494181
    I see those are away. Hopefully to the OP

For SAR, try and track down some of these. floating, waterproof, in built illuminated compass, focus free. 7 x 50 , so if you’re going to use them on a boat , ideal magnification & good in low light situations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought these recently just for days out, I also haver some small 8x21 for longer walks but these Olympus Bino's are amazing for the money £52.00.

Amazon reviews back up my positive experience - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-FBA...p_89%3AOlympus

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I see those are away. Hopefully to the OP
    I'm hoping they are heading my way....
    Dropped some hints to the Mrs for b'day present ideas :-)

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Nikon make some good Bino’s for the money. I started of with Nikon for my first pair and found them to be of good value.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Are their (Nikon’s) 20x good as well?

Craftsman
    One thing is for sure - you should first try whatever model you think fits the bill. If they aren't comfortable straight away chances are they will end up in the bottom of a drawer! A reputable dealer will be able to show you how to set them up (surprisingly, many people don't know how to do this this) and ensure they are suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Are their (Nikon’s) 20x good as well?
    I can’t hold 10x still enough to get a good view never mind 20x. If you’re going to mount them on a tripod then fire away if you need that magnification, else look for lower power. There’s a reason the market is dominated by 8x and 10x.

Blog Entries
    I've been on these pages with the same question. I needed them for use on sea, lakes and shore when watching sailing regattas. I ended up with a Bushnell 7x50. Having said that, I did buy another after buying the Bushnell. A pair Russian-made binoculars; ZOMZ 7x50. Costed me 30 euros on an auction site (Catawiki) But it is far, far superior to the Bushnell that's 10x that price!!!

Downside on these: not waterproof, totally fugly design, sort of cardboard/leatherette covered casing etc etc. Looks like the LADA under the binoculars. But as said: the best. Just for the fun, try to get a ZOMZ or its counterpart БПЦ = 'BPC'
    Last edited by thieuster; 13th March 2018 at 07:20.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    I can’t hold 10x still enough to get a good view never mind 20x. If you’re going to mount them on a tripod then fire away if you need that magnification, else look for lower power. There’s a reason the market is dominated by 8x and 10x.
    Just very curious to try that Nikon. 20x56

Just very curious to try that Nikon. 20x56
    While they don't fit the OP's specs or budget, I was curious enough to look for a review of these binoculars. The best is in Italian (link) but Google does a decent job of translation, and I also found one for the 16 x 56 model (link).

Thanks for review link. Very tempted to try.

Master
    I bought the Leica Monovid 8x20 and wow.., the sharpness and colours are amazing.
    It just shows that you get what you pay for... Fits in my pocket and has 'close-up magnifier' adaptor built in the case. but it's 320quid...

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I bought these recently just for days out, I also haver some small 8x21 for longer walks but these Olympus Bino's are amazing for the money £52.00.

Amazon reviews back up my positive experience - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-FBA...p_89%3AOlympus

I took a punt on the 10x50 model. I aready own a leica ultravid 10x25 set which is great for being lightweight, portable and high quality but thought I'd try the olympus ones out as a general purpose set . Have to say I'm quite pleased with them, well made and decent enough, for the money IT'S defintely good value. Maybe not as clear or as good with colour as the leica's but again for the money I can't really complain.

My partner likes bird watching and she's already taken with these as she finds them more comfortable to use than my Leica's, so I get my Leica's back and she's happy.
    Last edited by zippy; 29th March 2018 at 22:25.

Craftsman
    I too am interested in purchasing a light weight set of binoculars as just started trail walking so thanks for all the links and advice to date

Has anyone tried Sunagor? London based apparently.

Master
    Just purchased some Celestron 25x70 from Maplins £56.00 bit of a bargain.

I can locate the salt and vinegar from the back of the car when we have fish and chips at our coastal spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^
    My local Maplin had one on the window last week. Will pick up if still there.

Quote Originally Posted by michalko82 View Post
    I bought the Leica Monovid 8x20 and wow.., the sharpness and colours are amazing.
    It just shows that you get what you pay for... Fits in my pocket and has 'close-up magnifier' adaptor built in the case. but it's 320quid...
    Yes, yes, yes and you still get the same view in ten years time when you’ll look into them with pride and say to yourself “I did a good job with these”. One thing that’s worth getting in this life is good binoculars.

^
    If you miss those, you can get the SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars online for £50.99 (link). They're also on Amazon for the same price (link) as part of a Maplin web-deal, although the 25x70s are £82.95 (same link, just select the model).

I splashed out some serious coin a few years ago on a pair of Leica Ultravid 10 x 42 binoculars.
    Wonderful bin's and well worth the money.

Golden rule with binoculars is 'try before you buy' but before trying them make sure you know how to adjust: 1) eyecups to maximise field of view (particularly if wearing glasses) … 2) inter-ocular distance … and 3) diopter correction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Su5b1cNpU

Studying other YouTube videos on choosing, adjusting and using binoculars will likely help you. Avoid all zoom binoculars and fixed focus models.

Avoid cheap (under £50) Chinese binoculars especially roof prism models without phase coated prisms. Visit a good dealer who understands what they sell … and don't be swayed by price. A good porro prism model will usually out-perform a roof prism design. If buying budget price Chinese binos, make sure they are in collimation i.e. that there is no overlap of the images when adjusting inter-ocular distance; you should be able to see a perfectly circular 3D image when optimally adjusted.

Be aware that all the 'big names' have production lines in the main Chinese binocular factories where many binos are 'badge engineered'. The problem with Chinese binoculars is that they can be made to a price thus QA and lens / prisms coatings are not always optimised to the same extent as more expensive models.

Personally I'd rather buy a good used Japanese or German made binocular than a Chinese model.

Theses are worth investigating if you do not mind 'average' cosmetic condition https://www.cleyspy.co.uk/leica-trin...com-10352.html … excellent build quality and optics … but only buy on a 'sale or return' basis.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 30th March 2018 at 18:54.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post

Spot the watch...

If you miss those, you can get the SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars online for £50.99 (link). They're also on Amazon for the same price (link) as part of a Maplin web-deal, although the 25x70s are £82.95 (same link, just select the model).
    Got the last pair. Thanks

FLO have a deal on these for Easter.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/opt...O%20Newsletter

Master
    When I got mine in store they told me to avoid if possible the Maplins online because of failure to complete orders.

Master
    ^
    The good thing about these bins is the limited lifetime warranty offered so Maplins are out of the loop by default, just get in touch with company.

Craftsman
    I've bought a few pairs of cheap ones down the Saturday market when we are in the MIL’s villa in Spain. I always manage to wind the wife up when I try binoculars out with the same joke. While I’m looking through them, I ask how much they are, when the seller says €30, I always say “I can see they’re only €20 right down the other end of the market!" Cue groans from the wife or anyone that is with me.

Binoculars

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post

Theses are worth investigating if you do not mind 'average' cosmetic condition https://www.cleyspy.co.uk/leica-trin...com-10352.html … excellent build quality and optics … but only buy on a 'sale or return' basis.

dunk
    I have a “previously loved” pair of these and the optics are amazing. As long as the optics are guaranteed, I wouldn’t worry about the cosmetics!

Sent from TZ-UK app on an iPhone
    Last edited by DACC; 31st March 2018 at 21:59.

Seems a fantastic deal...brand new Japanese made with 30 year guarantee. £99 from £229! Opticron are a good make I believe..

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/opt...O%20Newsletter