closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A nice dress watch

A nice dress watch

I am new to this so sorry for my lack of knowledge. I have started my collection with a longines hydro conquest. Now I would like a nice dress watch........ suggestions please.

Thanks guys
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Vintage JLC square gold. Longines did a similar model but is less commonly seen.

A little small by modern standards but not too small in my opinion.

I should ask: What is the budget?

Sadly it’s a max of about £500.... wish it was higher

There are many good reviews of the new Orient Bambino, maybe you can consider it. Otherwise the Tissot Le Locle collection is also a good choice.

Master
    How about a Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic, within budget at £495

The Hamilton Intramatic is a lovely watch. Full price is £660 for the 38mm model but you should be able to get closer to the £500 mark with some discount. A quick search shows a few online ADs offering 10% off but you could probably push to at least 15%.

The first dress watch that I bought is this one:

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-gb/...ics-iii-3.html

I loved when I bought it and I still love it now!

Swiss made - elegant and at a very good price.

Master
    Tissot visodate. Immaculate.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

A Seiko Presage Cocktail Time (SSA346J1) can be had for your budget. Here's a gratuitous shot of mine...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Seiko Presage of some description should be available well under £500

Something like a SRPC01J1 would be my choice

http://www.seiko-presage.com/lineup/

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Tissot visodate. Immaculate.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    The visodate with the milanese bracelet is gorgeous!!

Craftsman
    Why not go vintage, there is a lot of watches in your budget.
    Or take a look at Kickstarter, maybe you like Schaffen watch, you can still make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned above, something like the Orient Bambino can be had for around £150 or the Tissot LeLocle for about £400. Would you prefer new or used? If you look for a vintage or used watch, it opens up a lot of options, but factor in the possibility of a service.

I would also consider how often you intend to wear such a watch. Personally, I rarely wear a dress watch - maybe 1-5 times a year, making the Bambino a more justifiable option to me than something towards the top end of your budget - I have a 1960's lesser known Swiss brand which can be picked up for well under £100. If however you would wear one regularly, I would be inclined to go new and probably towards the top end of your budget. The thrill is in the chase though, you will no doubt get many options thrown at you on here, do your research and buy the one YOU like.

I would definitely recommend a longines conquest heritage model. Available under budget pre-owned and classy enough for a dress watch (admittedly the date complication may irk the purist), nice reliable ETA movement and forms the basis of a nice longines collection.

Comes in black or silver:

Master
    The whole 'dress watch' thing is essentially a marketing invention. Unless you want to go deep-sea diving, a good 'dress watch' is every bit as wearable as any other watch. Just as shockproof, just as useable in normal life, and just as likely to get marked. All mechanical watches are fairly fragile. Drop one and it makes little difference which make it is, or whether it's a so-called 'sports watch.'

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The whole 'dress watch' thing is essentially a marketing invention. Unless you want to go deep-sea diving, a good 'dress watch' is every bit as wearable as any other watch. Just as shockproof, just as useable in normal life, and just as likely to get marked. All mechanical watches are fairly fragile. Drop one and it makes little difference which make it is, or whether it's a so-called 'sports watch.'
    It could just as easily be argued that evening dress is a "marketing invention". It does, however, exist.

Certainly some watches look better with formal wear than others - being slim and discretely worn under the cuff, with no more information to display than the time itself and, as you point out, there are occasions where a dress watch just won't cut the mustard - diving was your example, and a good one.

The Longines white dial looks very nice, except I'm not convinced by the date window.

I like the Seiko Presage 'Cocktail Time' range.

Master
    I love these threads as it gives me yet more reasons to look through Chrono 24
    I’d ask firstly if you are happy to wear 34mm or 35mom. Remember that thin Bezel Watches wear larger so a 40mm dress Watch can look big and I say this happily wearing divers at 45mm.
    Are you happy to wear vintage? Hear are a couple of lovely Certina’s well within budget

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post
    A Seiko Presage Cocktail Time (SSA346J1) can be had for your budget. Here's a gratuitous shot of mine...

This is lovely. I second this

Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    I would definitely recommend a longines conquest heritage model. Available under budget pre-owned and classy enough for a dress watch (admittedly the date complication may irk the purist), nice reliable ETA movement and forms the basis of a nice longines collection.

Yes the Longines is lovely but the strap is utterly horrible probably the worst of all the Longines watches (I have had a few of their modern ones). Put the white dial one on a nice light brown Hirsh or Rios strap and you have a very nice formal watch.

Thirded. I love this new line of Seiko cocktail watches. I want to get the ice blue model and wear it on a dark blue croc strap but I don’t really need any more watches...

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I just got an Orient Bambino the other day, pics below. Wore it to a black tie event last night and the black/white of the watch really complemented the black/white tuxedo etc and it's plenty slim enough to slide under a cuff. Certainly looks the part.

The dial is 40mm which some may say is too large for a dress watch, plus it has a date window which some say isn't necessary for an occasional watch. However it doesn't seem to wear big (and I have quite skinny wrists) and the date thing certainly doesn't bother me. I expected the strap to be rubbish too, presuming like Seiko that this is where they make some economies - but it's actually decent and suits the watch. I've ordered an aftermarket anyway, had to get it handmade as the lug width on these is 21mm which is a bit annoying. However it's a good quality, good value watch that looks really nice on and you get a well regarded in house movement, plus it's not gonna break the bank. Mine is the Version 1 Gen 2 (with hacking and and winding), it was £112 new so plenty of your £500 left to get another watch!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by davidj54; 3rd February 2018 at 21:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Dankan87 View Post

That’s a really nice watch, thanks for your advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    As mentioned above, something like the Orient Bambino can be had for around £150 or the Tissot LeLocle for about £400. Would you prefer new or used? If you look for a vintage or used watch, it opens up a lot of options, but factor in the possibility of a service.

I would also consider how often you intend to wear such a watch. Personally, I rarely wear a dress watch - maybe 1-5 times a year, making the Bambino a more justifiable option to me than something towards the top end of your budget - I have a 1960's lesser known Swiss brand which can be picked up for well under £100. If however you would wear one regularly, I would be inclined to go new and probably towards the top end of your budget. The thrill is in the chase though, you will no doubt get many options thrown at you on here, do your research and buy the one YOU like.
    That’s sound advice, thanks. I don’t mind used as they can be better value

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Vintage JLC square gold. Longines did a similar model but is less commonly seen.

A little small by modern standards but not too small in my opinion.
    I still miss this one of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post

Love the square face

Vintage Omega Seamaster 600 or De Ville. Or a vintage Longines indeed, though you probably won't get a serviced Flagship for that price.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    Thirded. I love this new line of Seiko cocktail watches. I want to get the ice blue model and wear it on a dark blue croc strap but I don’t really need any more watches...

And another vote for this. The blue version looks really good in my opinion.

Grand Master
    I have a full set Longines Conquest Heritage if you'd like to buy it.

SS silver dial 35mm in immaculate condition.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 4th February 2018 at 00:34.

Banned
    The Orient bambinos are unreal value for money , lovely little things with an automatic movement for under £150 however with your budget I’d definitely look at the Seiko presage cocktail watch range .
    Someone posted a gold model earlier in the thread , however there’s quite a few great looking models in the line up

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Yup, absolutely gorgeous. I'd miss it too if it had been mine.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I have a full set Longines Conquest Heritage if you'd like to buy it.

SS silver dial 35mm in immaculate condition.
    Someone whispered in my ear that I should not buy a new watch right now, because she has a surprise for me ;-) but otherwise this would have been very tempting! I have a weak spot for Longines, even if I don't like all of their modern offerings.

Craftsman
    For dress watches I love Nomos - an Orion will probably be my next purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    For dress watches I love Nomos - an Orion will probably be my next purchase.
    Excellent choice. If you like German Bauhaus styling, don't overlook Junghans as well. The Max Bill automatic is a classic, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dankan87 View Post

That’s a nice watch, really nice

Craftsman
    I’m looking for a dress watch too but I’d prefer a manual wind, thin (6-7mm), between 36 - 39 mm and just the two hands. No date either. New or secondhand and around £500 budget. Any suggestions?

37mm and available with auto or hand winding movement. Not 'dress' in the traditional, slim-gold-case sense of the word, but could pass muster at a wedding I would think?

Craftsman
    Not quite sure about the colour and font of the numerals on those. Had a look at some others in their range and they could be on my possible list. Thanks.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Thanks Gav... I agree! I would as it's my watch! It's really ticks all the boxes for anyone's dress watch requirements - it's such a classic design. I'm only looking to sell it as I have an Omega Constellation, which is also gold and I only need one in that metal and the Omega serves my dress watch criterial perfectly. But if that wasn't in the collection this would do perfectly.

The Max Bill is a work of art mind... the black inlay of the hands are perfectly executed. The dial printing to the very edge is lovely as it makes it feel it bleeds into the crystal.

A pic as not everyone will be able to see the SC listing so we know what I'm talking about.

Check out the Seiko SARB035, this model caught my eye when one was posted in 'Show your Seiko' thread, long time since a dress watch has caught my eye, after making some enquiries on spec, sprice etc I've just ordered one, looks great, and from what I've read the quality is very nice, I believe it's JDM model.

Can't wait for it to arrive.
    Last edited by geran; 10th February 2018 at 10:53.

Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    Check out the Seiko SARB035, this model caught my eye when one was posted in 'Show your Seiko' thread, long time since a dress watch has caught my eye, after making some enquiries on spec, sprice etc I've just ordered one, looks great, and from what I've read the quality is very nice, I believe it's JDM model.

Can't wait for it to arrive.
    Very nice mmmmmmmm

That is a classy watch .....arrrrr so many

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post

+1.....one of these gets my vote, excellent watches with none of the potential pitfalls associated with vintage watches.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1.....one of these gets my vote, excellent watches with none of the potential pitfalls associated with vintage watches.

Paul
    They are both great, I live the numerals

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
    OMG..... that’s the dogs dangly bits

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    The Longines white dial looks very nice, except I'm not convinced by the date window.
    Not sure if vintage is an option, but otherwise you could look for a vintage Longines ... hard to beat a vintage Conquest (well, maybe with a Flagship, but that's not going to be in your price range, I am afraid)

Quote Originally Posted by johant View Post
    Not sure if vintage is an option, but otherwise you could look for a vintage Longines ... hard to beat a vintage Conquest (well, maybe with a Flagship, but that's not going to be in your price range, I am afraid)
    I’d need to be saving some more pennies lol