timefactors watches
Results 1 to 46 of 46

Thread: New in, El Primero Cronomaster.

  1. #1
    Journeyman Redwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    336

    New in, El Primero Cronomaster.

    Hi all
    I recently had a post asking whether I should trade my Zenith Captain Chronograph for a Breitling Navitimer, long story short I decided against it and started looking for an El Primero I actually wanted.

    I would love to be able to duplicate some of the more extravagant new acquisition posts on here, ditto with the pictures admittedly Iím getting better but a long way to go.

    Enter the Zenith Chronomaster complete calendar or triple date Moonphase. First thing I said to myself when I held it in hand was itís the best looking watch I have ever owned end of. Nothing comes close imo terms of detailing on the dial case and the movement.

    This is the Guilloche dial not seen a lot when I saw it I knew instantly that I had to buy it. I measures a perfect 39mm not including crown has a slightly domed Sapphire Crystal. The case has the two step Art Deco style. Lug shape is sublime this watch oozes pure class. Everything just fits together perfectly.

    This one came with original box but no papers unfortunately. The Romanian seller from Chrono24 included 1 year warranty on the movement. Incidentally he was a great guy to deal with. I ended up paying £3315k
    I am more than happy with that.

    Calibre 410z 31 jewels, 36k vph obviously

    Thanks for reading.







    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,298
    That is lovely!! Good purchase. Nice to see some Zenith love.

  3. #3
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    26
    So damn classy. Well done!

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    2,529
    What a nice choice. Zenith are sadly under-rated. That is lovely. Have Fun!

  5. #5
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    France
    Posts
    191
    I agree fantastic dial and detail. But why do they, and so many other watchmakers insist on a date window at that angle? Hands look hard to read against that dial. Change them out for some blued steel and you would have a winner.
    Other than that nice watch.

  6. #6
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    M62 corridor
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    I ended up paying £3315k I am more than happy with that.
    £3.3 million!

    Lovely watch but out of my league.

  7. #7
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    272
    This is on my to do list. Have come close a few times, but not yet taken the plunge. Very elegant.

  8. #8
    Journeyman Redwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    I agree fantastic dial and detail. But why do they, and so many other watchmakers insist on a date window at that angle? Hands look hard to read against that dial. Change them out for some blued steel and you would have a winner.
    Other than that nice watch.
    Good idea although the thought of making it non original does not bode well with me, honestly you canít see in the photos but the hands are angled? so they always catch the available light and somehow appear black in certain light.

    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    £3.3 million!

    Lovely watch but out of my league.
    sorry of course I mean 3,315k

    Thanks for all the kind words guys.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  9. #9
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    113
    Superb watch, congrats.

    Zenith have made the el primero into a very versatile calibre, by clothing it for pretty much every taste.

    My personal favourite is the black and white Rainbow Flyback - purposeful and understated.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Stourbridge UK
    Posts
    177
    Lovely looking thing. That iridescent blue on the moon phase is gorgeous.

    Great value for money


    Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

  11. #11
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Psst...you ain't seen me right!?
    Posts
    494

    New in, El Primero Cronomaster.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    Good idea although the thought of making it non original does not bode well with me, honestly you canít see in the photos but the hands are angled? so they always catch the available light and somehow appear black in certain light.


    sorry of course I mean 3,315k

    Thanks for all the kind words guys.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thatís still £3.3m

    I love this watch & on the lookout for 1 myself. Wouldnít have the bottle for Chrono24 though.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  12. #12
    Lovely Zenith you got.

  13. #13
    Journeyman Redwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    Thatís still £3.3m

    I love this watch & on the lookout for 1 myself. Wouldnít have the bottle for Chrono24 though.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Ahh lol three grand, howís that?
    Chrono24 is actually really good. My experience was anyway. I googled the seller and saw he had a website etc some reviews. Asked loads of questions. You get a feel for when somethingís right or wrong I think.

    Plus Chrono24 offer degrees of protection the money is held in an escrow account and only when you receive the watch do they release the funds. Also you get buyer protection which gives you 14 days to check the watch for legitimacy etc and they will help you with a resolution should the need occur. How good this service is ? I donít know but good to know itís offered.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  14. #14
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Psst...you ain't seen me right!?
    Posts
    494
    Youíve convinced me to give it more thought. Yours looks like one of the end of line versions with that guilloche dial. Iíd get it serviced for piece of mind as those EP movements need a little more TLC. Lovely watch


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  15. #15
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Southend
    Posts
    596
    The dial is very interesting and I like the way Zenith have played with the Roman Numerals, notably 4 (IV), in this case IIII, I believe Cartier do the same as it add symmetry to the dial given the four digits at 8 (VIII).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Journeyman Redwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    Youíve convinced me to give it more thought. Yours looks like one of the end of line versions with that guilloche dial. Iíd get it serviced for piece of mind as those EP movements need a little more TLC. Lovely watch


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Have been considering it carefully, might make a new thread on where to go, what year you think it is? No papers unfortunately but my research says 2000-2001 as the last of the 39mm with no rotor number.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  17. #17
    Craftsman witti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ludwigsburg, Germany
    Posts
    856

    New in, El Primero Cronomaster.

    I used to think this will be my exit watch one day. However I realized Roman numerals are not for me and overall the watch would be too dressy for my usual outfit. So moved on, but still think there is no movement in this price segment which would even come close to a full calendar moon phase El Primero.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  18. #18
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Psst...you ain't seen me right!?
    Posts
    494

    New in, El Primero Cronomaster.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    Have been considering it carefully, might make a new thread on where to go, what year you think it is? No papers unfortunately but my research says 2000-2001 as the last of the 39mm with no rotor number.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I think itís later than 2001. Zenith were a bit inconsistent with the numbered/unnumbered rotors but itís generally stated that from 2002 the serial numbers were absent. There are ones out there with numbered rotors such as Tonyís 2006 watch. I think this is more around 2008 & I would guess the watch is actually 40mm. Itíd be fun to give the serial number to Zenith to confirm.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Strnglwhank; 30th January 2018 at 20:11.

  19. #19
    Journeyman Redwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    I think itís later than 2001. Zenith were a bit inconsistent with the numbered/unnumbered rotors but itís generally stated that from 2002 the serial numbers were absent. There are ones out there with numbered rotors such as Tonyís 2006 watch. I think this is more around 2008 & I would guess the watch is actually 40mm. Itíd be fun to give the serial number to Zenith to confirm.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Great idea I will do just that and report back.
    Thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  20. #20
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    304
    Nice watch very good value for money

    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

  21. #21
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tamworth, Staffordshire
    Posts
    169
    Lovely watch, still on my lust list. Enjoy.

  22. #22
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    27
    That's a fantastic looking watch, and i'll be adding it/something similar to my ever growing list of hopeful future watches.

    Sounds great value.

    Had been thinking (long-term) about an El Primero with multi coloured overlapping dials, but this looks a fancier alternative. Both look a lot more interesting than a Rolex Daytona to me.

  23. #23
    Craftsman FK77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    412
    Agree with others, it is a lovely watch and not just the looks but all those complications also add to its appeal. Congratulations!

  24. #24
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Dublin, irl
    Posts
    470

    New in, El Primero Cronomaster.

    Lovely watch, but I'm biased
    I would guess its later than 2002. I think only the gold and platinum models had the guilloche dial initially, but open to correction.
    Lots of info here.
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/sho...r-1041394.html
    Take care adjusting the day or moonphase.
    In case you don't have a manual:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/adj...er-660259.html


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    25,779
    Wonderful watch, but I would say that...


  26. #26
    Journeyman Redwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Lovely watch, but I'm biased
    I would guess its later than 2002. I think only the gold and platinum models had the guilloche dial initially, but open to correction.
    Lots of info here.
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/sho...r-1041394.html
    Take care adjusting the day or moonphase.
    In case you don't have a manual:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/adj...er-660259.html


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Many thanks for everyoneís kind words and some criticism Eamon thanks for the links mate I do have a booklet though.
    Ps why are you biased?

    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Wonderful watch, but I would say that...

    Stunning of course thanks for posting.



    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  27. #27
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Dublin, irl
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    Ps why are you biased?
    I have 2 el primero's including a 01.0240.410 as pictured above.

  28. #28
    Looks absolutely stunning that!

  29. #29
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Psst...you ain't seen me right!?
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Wonderful watch, but I would say that...

    Tony - is that a Zenith strap?


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Between here, there and nowhere
    Posts
    2,580
    Yep, had one on the bracelet, lovely watch, so much going on yet not too fussy, wish Iíd kept it, as I keep coming back to them and watch the price creeping north.

  31. #31
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Psst...you ain't seen me right!?
    Posts
    494
    Mineís here 🤩









    Just need to sort a decent strap & deployant/buckle.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #32
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    7,375
    I have two Chronomasters. The earlier version of Redwolf's, which has a beautiful 'cushion' dial, not clear in this photo ...




    And the almost-hybrid 01.0240.400/01, which has his guilloche dial, but with Breguet numerals (and without the moonphase, day & month, of course).



    They're both excellent watches.
    Last edited by Tinker; 15th February 2018 at 10:25.

  33. #33
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    7,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    The dial is very interesting and I like the way Zenith have played with the Roman Numerals, notably 4 (IV), in this case IIII, I believe Cartier do the same as it add symmetry to the dial given the four digits at 8 (VIII).
    Almost all dials with Roman numerals do.

  34. #34
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    7,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    Mineís here 朗
    Just need to sort a decent strap & deployant/buckle.
    The strap, as you know, is 20mm at the lugs. The deployant, however, comes in both 16mm and 18mm.

  35. #35
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Psst...you ain't seen me right!?
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    The strap, as you know, is 20mm at the lugs. The deployant, however, comes in both 16mm and 18mm.
    I think Iím going to go with a Hirsch combo rather than OE. Hereís hoping that not having a Zenith deployant wonít bug me...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  36. #36
    Journeyman Hackett.dp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I have two Chronomasters. The earlier version of Redwolf's, which has a beautiful 'cushion' dial, not clear in this photo ...



    That is stunning, a beautiful dial on a superbly made watch. These are immense value for money. I sold an identical watch last year, and regretted it straight away....

  37. #37
    Journeyman Redwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    336

    New in, El Primero Cronomaster.

    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    Mineís here 🤩









    Just need to sort a decent strap & deployant/buckle.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lovely!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I have two Chronomasters. The earlier version of Redwolf's, which has a beautiful 'cushion' dial, not clear in this photo ...




    And the almost-hybrid 01.0240.400/01, which has his guilloche dial, but with Breguet numerals (and without the moonphase, day & month, of course).



    They're both excellent watches.
    Beautiful watches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    I think Iím going to go with a Hirsch combo rather than OE. Hereís hoping that not having a Zenith deployant wonít bug me...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Funny Iím thinking about changing my original brown deployant strap for either a navy blue suede or black suede strap.

    Any ideas where I can get good quality examples?



    ✌️

  38. #38
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    7,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    I think Iím going to go with a Hirsch combo rather than OE. Hereís hoping that not having a Zenith deployant wonít bug me...
    Which Hirsch?

    (Say that when you've had a drink.)

  39. #39
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Surrey, United Kingdom
    Posts
    52
    Beauty! How does it feel on the wrist - it looks nice and chunky

  40. #40
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Psst...you ain't seen me right!?
    Posts
    494
    Hirsch - their quality is good depending on your budget. I like their blue one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  41. #41
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Psst...you ain't seen me right!?
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by daveholja View Post
    Beauty! How does it feel on the wrist - it looks nice and chunky
    On the bracelet it does but due to the cushion case itís very comfortable on a strap. Does tend to rotate without the heft of the bracelet so youíve got to lock that sucker down on a strap unless youíve got a decent deployant as a counter weight.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  42. #42
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Psst...you ain't seen me right!?
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Which Hirsch?

    (Say that when you've had a drink.)
    Haha - I reckon if you want a deployant it would have to be the Navigator. If a buckle is what you want I reckon the Connoisseur.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  43. #43
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22
    That really looks great. Would you prefer the silver from the black?

    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

  44. #44
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Psst...you ain't seen me right!?
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
    That really looks great. Would you prefer the silver from the black?

    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    The black is lovely but a little less versatile IMO. Truth be told if I didnít have a Speedy & have already owned a black EP I may have opted for the black




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  45. #45
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    7,375
    At the moment, the Moonphase is on a Hirsch 'Lucca' and a Zenith buckle ...


  46. #46
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    7,375
    And the 'Hybrid' is on a black Zenith Crocodile and Zenith buckle ...


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •