closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Explorer Alternatives

Rolex Explorer Alternatives

Hi all. Just wanted some opinions on alternatives to the Explorer 39mm. If you believe in such things as Grail Watches, then that is mine. However, with two young children and all the various expenses that go with raising a family, I'm not there yet and won't be for a good 5 years. So, I've been thinking of some alternatives that would scratch the itch in the meantime, and as there's so much knowledge here would appreciate opinions, advice, recommendation etc.

The watches I've considered are the Hamilton Khaki King. Actually recently missed an opportunity to buy one of these due to car problems gobbling up all my spare funds. But they aren't expensive even new. Obviously the dial is much busier, but I reckon it to be a very good value alternative?

Another is the Seiko SARB033. Looks a bit dressier than the Explorer, but still a solid timepiece, in house movement and the minimalist black glossy dial. Also, I have an SKX007 and Alpinist, so in a way this would complete a nice trinity of Seiko's for all purposes (dress, field, sport). Good value too.

The last is the Tudor Black Bay 41. Obviously there's the Rolex connection (although quite what that connection really is I'm not sure?). This is my favourite of the three, especially the brown leather strap version with that beautiful looking deployment clasp. Similar minimalist dial, high quality build, available for under £2k - so potentially good value but simultaneously a heck of a lot dearer than the two above! The Heritage Ranger may be another option but I think if I was gonna pull the trigger on a Tudor it would be the BB41.

I'd have to wait longer for the Tudor given the added cost, maybe a year. Are there any really good alternatives I've not thought of? I'm no expert so that's quite likely.
    Last edited by davidj54; 28th January 2018 at 17:08.

If you want an explorer style watch then Smiths everest or Zeno explorer.

If you want a black dial dressy / toolish watch then Sinn 556i.

If you don’t need something on a bracelet, the Nomos Club offers legitimate-watchmaker cred in an original design with good water resistance and versatility. It’s definitely the one I’d choose within your criteria.

In my opinion (as owner of the current model Exp1, and having worn the Tudors), the BB36 is far, far nicer - and far closer to the essence of the Explorer - than its ponderous and unconfident 41mm cousin.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Tudor ranger is a nice understated watch too.

Master
    I have the same conundrum. As others have suggested, the Sinn 556 is my solution.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    How a about a Bremont airco?

Thanks for the responses gents, I'll enjoy seeking out some of these brands I'm not familiar with.

My advice to the OP, having been down the same road, is; save up and buy an Explorer. In the end, nothing else will suffice.

I speak as the former owner of a PRS-25 Everest, a Theta Military, an Alpha and a MKII.

Last edited by dkpw; 28th January 2018 at 17:51.

^ pretty solid advice. It’s an archetype for a reason...

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    In my opinion (as owner of the current model Exp1, and having worn the Tudors), the BB36 is far, far nicer - and far closer to the essence of the Explorer - than its ponderous and unconfident 41mm cousin.
    I've not tried one on, but I worry that the BB36 may be on the small side? But then, I also worry the BB41 may be a shade too big. A 38 or 39 would be ideal.

Master
    100% agree with your assessment of the BB41

Craftsman
    Here's an article on this very subject:

https://www.chronopolis.co.uk/blogs/...lex-explorer-1

Quote Originally Posted by Lorex View Post
    Here's an article on this very subject:

https://www.chronopolis.co.uk/blogs/...lex-explorer-1
    Cheers 👍

Master
    Second Hand Omega Railmaster would be an option
    Lovely one on SC at the moment.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    That's a good shout

No mention of the ZEX* yet ? Or are we not considering 36mm watches.

I think its about the closest in appearance out there in this segment.

*Zeno Explorer

£350 these days apparently;

http://shop.time-design.co.uk/zeno-e...-zex-466-p.asp

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    My advice to the OP, having been down the same road, is; save up and buy an Explorer. In the end, nothing else will suffice.

I speak as the former owner of a PRS-25 Everest, a Theta Military, an Alpha and a MKII.
    While this is very sound advice, I’d say that you’ll not lose much come sale time if you brought one of the cheaper homages as a stop gap while saving, with a win-win that if you don’t like the style you’ve not sunk a boatload of cash into it.

Ponderous and unconfident. I like that.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

I don’t recall seeing the Theta military before; in terms of looks it’s the nearest of the lot to the classic 1016 Explorer. I like the orange tip to the seconds hand.

I have a BB36, which is growing on me, but still wonder whether the 114270 might be a better bet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    I don’t recall seeing the Theta military before; in terms of looks it’s the nearest of the lot to the classic 1016 Explorer. I like the orange tip to the seconds hand.

I have a BB36, which is growing on me, but still wonder whether the 114270 might be a better bet.

Oops, wrong picture/name.

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post

I bought that years ago from eBay, IIRC but have never seen one since. I do remember it cost £15, check the gaps between the lugs and the bracelet but the head felt okay. I think I give it away as part of an SC deal, so it may still be lurking round these parts.

EDIT: I see you may have been referring to the MKII - it was a very nice watch indeed, but the date and the red tip put me off, as well as it not being the definite article, which was the point of my post. :)

[...]
    Sound advice.

The Hamilton and Seiko the OP mentioned — as well as the Sinn and Nomos — seem like better interim choices than a blatant imitation.

Mind you, a budget of up to £2K gets very close to having the real deal with a 14270 or 114270 on the secondary market, which I think edge out the 39 mm version in looks.

I've just received a Sinn 556 Anniversary and whilst its not obviously like the Explorer it has the essentials that make me love my Explorer; no date ( so perfect balance), applied indices (so the dial comes to life) and an astounding dial finish ( the Explorer is the blackest back you will ever see; the Sinn is the best starburst you will ever see).

I've owned a lot of Explorer types, including most mentioned above. This Sinn is the only watch i ever owned that looks as completely right as my Explorer.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Am I missing them on SC or do you not see any 36mm explorer’s on SC anymore. There used to be loads of them a while back.
    Last edited by Middo; 28th January 2018 at 20:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Am I missing them on SC or do you not see any 26mm explorer’s on SC anymore. There used to be loads of them a while back.
    A big problem for anyone looking for pre 2005 Rolex is that they have become such a good investment. Even if you don't want one as a watch anymore, nothing else gives owners such good returns on something that is readily convertible into cash.

PS: And of course the 26mm Explorer is so rare that it's unavailable.
    Last edited by raysablade; 28th January 2018 at 19:50.

Master
    I bought that years ago from eBay, IIRC but have never seen one since. I do remember it cost £15, check the gaps between the lugs and the bracelet but the head felt okay. I think I give it away as part of an SC deal, so it may still be lurking round these parts.

EDIT: I see you may have been referring to the MKII - it was a very nice watch indeed, but the date and the red tip put me off, as well as it not being the definite article, which was the point of my post. :)
    It was the mkII that I admired.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Sound advice.

The Hamilton and Seiko the OP mentioned — as well as the Sinn and Nomos — seem like better interim choices than a blatant imitation.

Mind you, a budget of up to £2K gets very close to having the real deal with a 14270 or 114270 on the secondary market, which I think edge out the 39 mm version in looks.
    Yeah but the £2k budget wouldn't be til about Xmas at least, maybe next Easter. I tend to agree with what your saying though - something that is a great watch in its own right, rather than recognisable as a homage or poor man's Explorer. I'm starting an Explorer fund, but as I said with other commitments it'll be a 3-5 year save. At present I'm edging towards a Khaki King, I've fancied one for a while and I think it could sit alongside an Explorer in a collection rather than as an either/or, plus it's under £500 so not a potential financial black hole!

I'm thinking maybe HKK now(ish), BB36 or 41 next year and then when the Explorer fund is 2/3 full in about 3 years time flog the BB to top the fund up to trigger pulling level!

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    At present I'm edging towards a Khaki King, I've fancied one for a while and I think it could sit alongside an Explorer in a collection rather than as an either/or, plus it's under £500 so not a potential financial black hole!
    If you are going for a Hamilton it would be wise to go secondhand and fully depreciated. I've had a few over the years and for one reason or another they consistently disappoint. I've always suspected that this is related to their place the group pecking order.

A particular problem is no AR coating on either side of the crystal and shiny hands, its a deeply disappointing combination. Well worth checking if your choice falls foul of that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    If you are going for a Hamilton it would be wise to go secondhand and fully depreciated. I've had a few over the years and for one reason or another they consistently disappoint. I've always suspected that this is related to their place the group pecking order.

A particular problem is no AR coating on either side of the crystal and shiny hands, its a deeply disappointing combination. Well worth checking if your choice falls foul of that issue.
    Thanks for the advice.

Interestingly I've just read a couple of reviews that state the HKK does have AR coating. Strange. I also saw a review of the Tudor BB41 that says it doesn't have it either - which for a £2,000 watch is pretty unforgivable.

Master
    Are you wanting a lookie-Likie or a genuine alternative.
    If it’s homage then I’d pay a lot less and get one of the Time factor Smiths.
    If you want a genuine alternative then the Aqua Terra stands up very well 150wr pretty bullet proof and the 2500 movement is slimmer, very resilient
    Another one I thought was excellent and will not set you back too much is a Certina DS First. 200m WR Great crown . I thought it was quite a bit better than a Hami and actually better than the more expensive Longine Conquest.
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 28th January 2018 at 20:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Here’s a picture of mine (it’s not the one on SC by the way)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    While this is very sound advice, I’d say that you’ll not lose much come sale time if you brought one of the cheaper homages as a stop gap while saving, with a win-win that if you don’t like the style you’ve not sunk a boatload of cash into it.
    Think this is a really good idea particularly if buying a first, and potentially only, expensive watch.

I bought a homage before buying a sub, but the homage still gets worn on days out when the watch could conceivably get damaged.

Craftsman
    Archimede Outdoor

Quote Originally Posted by Karm View Post
    Archimede Outdoor

That was on my list for a long time. Great value for money! , Sadly I don't think they're made any more.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Another vote for Railmaster Here is mine, 39mm. They wear big as they are all dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Another vote for Railmaster Here is mine, 39mm. They wear big as they are all dial.

That's beautiful.

Craftsman
    That was on my list for a long time. Great value for money! , Sadly I don't think they're made any more.
    They have gone up in price but still available from www.pilotswatches.co.uk

700 Leather strap version
    £718 Silicone strap version
    £809 Bracelet version (hardened)

And lots of other colours and strap options available directly from www.archimede-watches.com

Master

What he said, you'll never be satisfied with something else

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Master
    I had a liking for the explorer - beyond my means for an occasional wearer - ended up with a Tag Carrera - not the same I know but it has echoes of similarity and is a nice thing in the hand and appears well made

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    I've not tried one on, but I worry that the BB36 may be on the small side? But then, I also worry the BB41 may be a shade too big. A 38 or 39 would be ideal.
    If they were 38 or 39 I'd already have one. Same conundrum as you.

Whilst there are some fantastic options presented in this thread I do think that one of the great joys of the modern Explorer is the applied indices. I’d say that if you are looking for something that gives you the same experience a 3D dial is prequisite.

Craftsman
    There's a nice aqua terra on sc at the moment. Well priced too

Master
    I've been looking for a watch of this style for a while now. The explorer isn't really for me as the dial is a bit shiny. I prefer the Tudor Ranger but just wish it was a little smaller. The BB36/41 don't look right to me, like a regular BB that has lost its bezel.

I did try a Hamilton Khaki King from the Jura sale around this time last year but the AR issue meant I sent it straight back.

Still hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
    There's a nice aqua terra on sc at the moment. Well priced too
    Railmaster is pretty close. If I didn't have an explorer this would be the one. Too similar to justify both.

Master
    Smiths Everest is similar looking to the 39mm explorer

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I've been looking for a watch of this style for a while now. The explorer isn't really for me as the dial is a bit shiny. I prefer the Tudor Ranger but just wish it was a little smaller. The BB36/41 don't look right to me, like a regular BB that has lost its bezel.

I did try a Hamilton Khaki King from the Jura sale around this time last year but the AR issue meant I sent it straight back.

Still hunting.
    Could you not get an AR crystal put in, if you like the watch?

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Smiths Everest is similar looking to the 39mm explorer
    I'm going politely to disagree with that. Superficially they appear similar but there are several important distinctions and they wear very differently indeed. Key is the Everest's lug to lug which I believe is 50mm. It's a big watch! A super watch if you tend towards the larger wrist and great value for money.

I'm going politely to disagree with that. Superficially they appear similar but there are several important distinctions and they wear very differently indeed. Key is the Everest's lug to lug which I believe is 50mm. It's a big watch! A super watch if you tend towards the larger wrist and great value for money.
    ^ and that pic is against the 39 exp, right?