closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shocking article about Kobold on Timezone

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doug darter View Post
    I've just bought a Kobold SMG 1!! I was really looking forward to receiving it, and I guess a little bit of the excitement has disappeared.

I suppose one has to be pragmatic.

I am buying a watch, a concept, a lifestyle object, not the owner of the company. An inanimate object which is given meaning when I strap it on my wrist. It knows nothing of it's history, and owes nothing to it's maker. It is a machine which has a purpose, and will operate within strict accordance with it's design parameters which are unaffected by anything which may happened since it left the hands of the ateliers who put it together.

It is just a watch. It is no less the watch it was just because the company owner turns out to be less than honest.

I WILL enjoy wearing it. It is the same watch it was a week ago. So what If Michael Kobold is a Crook?

Many chief executives of companies have been crooks, but have people owning products sold by these companies either returned or stopped buying their products?? Probably not. Did owners return their VW's or stop buying them following the fraudulent claims made and lies told by management? No of course not.

The UK political parties are probably more corrupt now than they have ever been, yet we contiue to vote for them.

Kobold will continue to sell watches. Most potential buyers will buy them simply because they are Kobold. They will not read articles here, or in the watch press, so they will not be aware of these issues. If Michael Kobold is jailed, or is forced to resign, a new Chairman will probably be installed, debts will be paid, and promises fulfilled. People will forget. They always do.

I'll wear my Kobold. Why not?? Why should I be made to feel guilty for wearing it because of a bastard like Michael Kobold!
    I think you've done a sterling effort of convincing yourself, why you need to be convinced I have no idea lol

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Master

Wow!!

Holy smoke!!
    It just goes to show you, you don’t have a clue who you’re really dealing with!
    I’m not sure I’d try and rip off the Navy seal Charity though??????? Surely that’s just asking for trouble, although I had a colleague who said he was in the Navy Seals however after one FOIA(freedom of information act) later it turns out he wasn’t even in any force?!?!
    Crooks everywhere and when you are talking about big bucks then greed takes over!!!

I hope he gets what he deserves and I hope the charities and everyone else takes him for whatever he’s got left!

Chris

I am buying a watch, a concept, a lifestyle object, not the owner of the company. An inanimate object which is given meaning when I strap it on my wrist. It knows nothing of it's history, and owes nothing to it's maker. It is a machine which has a purpose, and will operate within strict accordance with it's design parameters which are unaffected by anything which may happened since it left the hands of the ateliers who put it together.

It is just a watch. It is no less the watch it was just because the company owner turns out to be less than honest.

I personally agree that one should buy a watch for the watch and not for the brand. But in that case why buy a Kobold? I've always seen them as vastly overpriced watches, though perhaps you've paid less than I've seen them advertised for.

Secondly, values matter, even if lifestyle branding doesnt. E.g. even if Trump brand watches used JLC tourbillon movements for £100 I wouldn't pay for one, unless it was to go into the second-hand-JLC-tourbillon-parts business and never to wear them. I also wouldn't wear an Hublot even if you gave it to me because I feel the least a brand can do is not choose ambassadors that beat their wives.

The man seriously lacks a moral compass! He's posting loads on Instagram and it's just more bull$hit. This guy just can't help himself when it comes to self promotion and making a buck!

https://instagram.com/p/BehkeIfHTir/

New website too apparently.

https://koboldwatch.com/
    Last edited by Chinnock; 29th January 2018 at 09:08.

At this rate I can see him running for President.

I’d kind of forgotten Kobold existed tbh - I remember them being quite regularly discussed on this forum years ago, then as the prices soared it all went a bit quiet. I’ve never served in the forces and always found the concept of expensive ‘military’ watches a bit Walter Mitty. I was in the army cadets as a kid in the 80’s and went on exercises with the regular army a few times - and they all seemed to wear non descript Casio’s/G shocks. I always assumed it was ‘Marketing’ as in total BS - but if the article is true it’s appalling behaviour. Can’t believe it didn’t come to light sooner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Wow! He seems like a proper piece of work.

I just feel sorry for those who actually own a Kobold watch. It's not only a difficult position to defend when you advertise such an a$$hole's name on your wrist but I'm guessing all these bad news will have an impact on resale values as well.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Quote Originally Posted by subchris View Post
    Holy smoke!!
    It just goes to show you, you don’t have a clue who you’re really dealing with!
    I’m not sure I’d try and rip off the Navy seal Charity though??????? Surely that’s just asking for trouble, although I had a colleague who said he was in the Navy Seals however after one FOIA(freedom of information act) later it turns out he wasn’t even in any force?!?!
    Crooks everywhere and when you are talking about big bucks then greed takes over!!!

I hope he gets what he deserves and I hope the charities and everyone else takes him for whatever he’s got left!

Chris
    You, and others who don't think I understand the issues here are absolutely and totally wrong.

I absolutely know who I am dealing with, properly, who is the subject of this thread! who wouldn't, and I'm not trying to convince either myself or others that he's anything other than the lying, thieving, criminal lowlife that he is. To think otherwise would be impossible. I hope that the due process of law takes it's slow but inexorable course, and that he get's his comeuppance, and that those who have a rightful claim are paid, particularly those in Nepal.

Here's the rub - Despite everything I've said here, over the years, Kobold watches have received some stellar reviews by the brightest and best minds in the industry, have been worn by forum member, and reviewed by forum members and comments have been more than favourable, yet all of a sudden the naysayers have appeared, and while the man's reputation, quite rightly is being destroyed, they seem intent on destroying the reputation of a fine watch.

The watch remains unchanged.

I have bought one, of course I'll try and convince myself it's OK to wear it, It's cost a lot of money. I'm a pensioner, I can ill afford to buy a watch I won't wear.

Michael Kobold is a Liar, a thief, a conman, and a lowlife, I have no doubt. Does that mean the watches that his company produced whilst his reputation was intact are now suspect as regards quality? Desirability I agree is a different matter now.

Master
    As someone else mentioned how do two Sherpas suddenly become watchmakers?

I’m assuming he just paraded them as such to sell the Himalayan Watch.

Blog Entries
    Overpriced tat from a lowlife moneygrabber.

Nothing but really nothing made those watches worth what he was asking for it. Now, if the huge profits would have ended up with charities I sort of could live with it, but now they've ended up in his pocket, he can stick his tat where the sun don't shine..........
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    You, and others who don't think I understand the issues here are absolutely and totally wrong.
    I believe, though he will correct me if I'm wrong, that subchris' comments were not aimed at you. I think the "you" in his remark was the general "you", and he might less ambiguously have made his point as "one doesn’t have a clue who one's really dealing with".

Agree with your point though, the product is a distinct thing from the character of the manufacturer. The statues above the entrance to Broadcasting House were created by a sculptor called Eric Gill who was found in the '80s to have sexually abused two of his daughters and the family dog, but they're still there.

I wouldn't have the slightest qualms about wearing a Kobold if I already had one, though I wouldn't buy a new one.

I must say I find these claims quite hard to believe in their entirety - I wonder if a different identity was used to fund the charity, maybe? Perhaps someone's made an innocent mistake? It just seems so utterly brazen. Genunely amazing if true.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    As someone else mentioned how do two Sherpas suddenly become watchmakers?

I’m assuming he just paraded them as such to sell the Himalayan Watch.
    In this case, as in a lot of modern watches, 'watch makers' are in reality, watch assemblers.

Take a case, drop in an ET 2824, fit the dial, hands, fit a crystal, a stem, case back gasket, and 4 caseback scews, and bobs your uncle.

OK not quite as simple as that, but one doesn't have to be a watchmaker, or have a vast amount of expertise to assemble a watch.

I've rebuilt or built watches from scratch many times. Loads of members here have. It's not rocket science. Building a movement, or even repairing one, now that's watchmaking territory.

Blog Entries
    Great, but he was talking about watchMAKERS.

I guess in reality he was an arsehole.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Is all the article true?

I don’t get how 2 Sherpas suddenly become watchmakers just like that for instances?
    The USA is a litigious country. If it weren't 100% indisputably true, kohold's (his dad's more likely) lawyer would have had the article pulled with the threat of suing.

We're on day three and kobold hasn't even directly refuted the article. It's true.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    His website is apparently back up and he is now spouting utter b****cos about reasons for poor service.

https://koboldwatch.com/pages/kobold-news

Who believes his bull about his staff ALL suffering from "personal problems"?
    Me. They were probably all drug addicts - who kobold hired.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Me. They were probably all drug addicts - who kobold hired.
    Jesus wept, what a nonsense sob story, shame on him.

From Kobold-news . . .

"There is nothing that comes close to a Kobold".

​Well, not the wrists of some customers it would seem.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    He should just shut the f**k up and fade away into history. Any self justification just reinforces that the scumbag truly lacks ethics and morals.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

that's the worst bit

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...d=0&rev&reveal

Eddie

using up a line of credit that the 2 employees then had to fork out for

Ghastly

tim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 41northpole View Post

Eddie

using up a line of credit that the 2 employees then had to fork out for

Ghastly

tim
    Page not found?

This is a follow-up I exchanged this morning with Namgel Sherpa. It doesn't take a year to get donations collected to a Sherpa widow and her children. Especially since when he relaunched the company website on Friday, a donation button to benefit Thundu was prominently on the front page.

There are also no new firetrucks in Nepal, from all the donations he raised for that effort. But maybe the executive team is still sorting out the details while pounding brews at the charity's HQ at the Last Call Bar & Grill.

To illustrate that there isn't a bottom too low for Michael Kobold, Namgel also writes that when Michael Kobold formed Kobold Watch Company Nepal (Pvt.) Ltd., he opened a $10,000 credit line at a Nepal investment bank in the Sherpas' name. Since foreigners can't have credit in Nepal, the Sherpas agreed to the credit line when the company formed. Kobold ran up personal expenses & left them indebted to the bank to the tune of $10,000, which both Sherpas paid for out of their own pockets.

I haven't heard from Michael Kobold. A couple people sent me links to his social media. He's read this article and is on a self-serving social media campaign to promote a new book he's writing that is going to explain the issues raised in this article. Undoubtedly, all proceeds from the sale of that book to benefit his favorite charity - himself.
    It seems that Timezone re-indexes posts when more are added and this invalidates links.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

People say that one very good reason not to own fakes is because they can fund criminality and shady behaviour. Seems like the same could be said for owning a Kobold.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Eddie.
    Makes the phrase “being Kobolded” all the more true I guess....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Page not found?
    Not surprising since the link is incomplete – need to use the full one that Eddie posted...

Kobold will continue to sell watches. Most potential buyers will buy them simply because they are Kobold. They will not read articles here, or in the watch press, so they will not be aware of these issues. If Michael Kobold is jailed, or is forced to resign, a new Chairman will probably be installed, debts will be paid, and promises fulfilled. People will forget. They always do.
    I am not so sure if this will be so but OTOH nothing makes sense in this business.

Kobold has been very much (read 99+ %) internet brand with only few retailers in US in the past AFAIK. Those people who will buy "elite watches" and dont´t read articles from net don´t even know what Kobold is.

JP

Journeyman
    160 dollars for a beany? 140 for a fabric belt? clucking bell great money if you can get it!

Haha his take on PR..

"We have never hired hired a public relations firm. We simply work hard to make the best products anywhere, and if we receive recognition in the form of positive PR, it's a welcome side effect."

I need to go and wash my hands now..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

That's one watch brand I'll never be buying from.

Craftsman
    Why is Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes involved with Kobold. What does Ranulph Fiennes know about the Kobold charity work and where the money went?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Why is Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes involved with Kobold. What does Ranulph Fiennes know about the Kobold charity work and where the money went?
    Given a freebe watch for his Antarctic explorations so Mr K could use it to promote the brand and his Polar Surveyour. Stepping on the shoulders of giants would appear to have been his forte.

I had originally thought we were talking about Klaus Kobec, the mail order tat in the noughties.

He's made them equally desirable!

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    From Kobold-news . . .

"There is nothing that comes close to a Kobold".

​Well, not the wrists of some customers it would seem.
    quality
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Sir Ranulph Fiennes is his ambassador I bet he's not pleased! Reviewing it... looks like Sir Ranulph is no longer on his web site!

http://quillandpad.com/2015/04/26/th...ing-gratitude/
    Last edited by wildheart; 30th January 2018 at 14:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    I cannot answer for Ran regarding the charity work, but I was with him in 2007 during his trek to Mount Everest Base camp for his first -and unfortunely failed- attempt to climb and had the unfortunate experience of meeting Kobold. I found him to be a total slime ball and only out for what he could get!

This all came about because Kobold had employed Kenton Cool (a multi Everest summiteer and Mountain guide) to aid him to summit. Kenton was, in 2007 leading Ran on his 1st summit attempt. I worked for one of Kenton's equipment suppliers and sponsors and had the chance to fulfill my life-long ambition to visit Everest Base Camp, paying my own way, but ble to be with a great group

I found Ran to be the perfect Gentleman and also incredibly selfless (let's not forgat that all of his most recent expeditions/adventures were to raise money for Marie Curie cancer Nurses following the death of his first wife). However, I would also say that Ran was not the most worldly or Streetwise person that I have ever met and always seemed to see the best in people. Unfortunately Kenton was also left seriously out of pocket by Kobold who welched on payments to him for his guiding and tried to barter with him with the promise of expensive limited edition watched, which also never materialised

Lastly Namgel was one of our sherpas and a really super guy. He and I made a great friendship over our two weeks together (including him comig out to search for me lost on the trail in a white out and laughing at me for this) and I was appauled to read of the treatment that he received.

I hope that Karma deals this man a very hefty blow!!

John
    Last edited by johnboy9876; 8th February 2018 at 13:50.

^ Interesting experience, thanks for sharing.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    I used to have a look at the Kobold forum on WUS for a laugh - it was always owners with tales of woe: poor servicing with supposedly repaired watches falling apart in peoples hands. There also seemed to be a lot of lies told or broken promises regarding the return of serviced watches, with customers waiting for months on end but keeping the faith due to M Kobold reaching out to them with more promises.. They did have some loyal customers who always spoke up for Kobold but I guess even these people have lost faith in the brand now. Always seemed way over the top pricing for them as well compared to say Damasko..

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    I cannot aswer or Ran regarding the charity work, but I was with him in 2007 during his trek to Mount Everest Base camp for his first -and unfortunely failed- attempt to climb and had the unfortunate experience of meeting Kobold. I found him to be a total slime ball and only out for what he could get!

This all came about because Kobold had employed Kenton Cool (a multi Everest summiteer and Mountain guide) to aid him to summit. Kenton was, in 2007 leading Ran on his 1st summit attempt. I worked for one of Kenton's equipment suppliers and sponsors and had the chance to fulfill my life-long ambition to visit Everest Base Camp.

I found Ran to be the perfect Gentleman and also incredibly selfless (let's not forgat that all of his most recent expeditions/adventures were to raise money for Marie Curie cancer Nurses following the death of his first wife). However, I would also say that Ran was not the most worldly or Streetwise person that I have ever met and always seemed to see the best in people. Unfortuately Kenton was also left seriously out of pocket by Kobold who welched on payments to him for his guiding and tried to barter with him with the promise of expensive limited edition watched, which also never materialised

Lastly Namgel was one of our sherpas and a really super guy. He and I made a great friendship over our two weeks together (including him comig out to search for me lost on the trail in a white out and lughing at me for this) and I was appauled to read of the treatment that he received.

John
    The man sounds a complete creep. I also got sucked into following his merchandise as it looked on the surface to have some credibility. I feel for the owners of his watches.... luckily I never purchased one, however I did come close. I think his name will be forever tarnished among WIS community. Lets hope the scoundrel is brought to book and pays for his fraudulent behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    Thank you for sharing your personal and corroborative experience, John.

From Fiennes, to Cool, to Gandolfini, and Sherpas, it seems Kobold had a habit of attaching himself to better men than he, and (ab)used them all for his own promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Thank you for sharing your personal and corroborative experience, John.

From Fiennes, to Cool, to Gandolfini, and Sherpas, it seems Kobold had a habit of attaching himself to better men than he, and (ab)used them all for his own promotion.
    Even got his first break from Helmut Sinn himself!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Even got his first break from Helmut Sinn himself!
    ...and from Gerd Lang of Chronoswiss even before that!
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    ...and from Gerd Lang of Chronoswiss even before that!
    Shame he didn't learn from the generosity of those who helped him. Gratitude and generosity make for a far richer life.

Still he has to lay his head on a pillow every night and as my grandmother said to me many times "You can never escape guilt, because even though you can fool others, you will never be able to fool yourself!"

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    as my grandmother said to me many times "You can never escape guilt, because even though you can fool others, you will never be able to fool yourself!"
    Kudos to your grandmother. Unfortunately, not everyone is brought up the right way. Even if brought up correctly, some just rot along the way.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Indeed - If the report is true (I will reserve judgement, although it doesn't look good), I'm not sure he'll have too much trouble sleeping.

Those kind of people are rarely troubled with guilt...

M.

Unfortunately the toe-rag clearly has no moral compass whatsoever, as witnessed by the repeated ripping off of charities and individuals who are least able to absorb the loss he represented to them
    I fear this guy probably still thinks what he does is justified. He does keep doing it after all.
    Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Indeed - If the report is true (I will reserve judgement, although it doesn't look good), I'm not sure he'll have too much trouble sleeping.

Those kind of people are rarely troubled with guilt...

M.
    It's been two weeks. A business owner doesn't allow false and damaging accusations to stand for that long. It's not like TZ is some multi-national powerhouse with a huge legal department. A simple C&D would have had the article down in an afternoon... if it weren't true.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    It's been two weeks. A business owner doesn't allow false and damaging accusations to stand for that long. It's not like TZ is some multi-national powerhouse with a huge legal department. A simple C&D would have had the article down in an afternoon... if it weren't true.
    That would seem sensible and I'm not looking to defend Kobold, I know nothing about him/them and have never owned one of their watches, I just don't know enough personally to say if it's true or not.

M

I own a Soarway Diver and it is a great watch. Although the merit should be shared by Fricker/Kemmner who by the way also built the Dreadnought, one of the best watches I own...

I always found the stories of this guy a bit naive... so not so surprised...

Another thing I do not get is that I believe he has something to do with Kobold, a german company very succesful (he is the son of the owner I think). So he must be very wealthy...

Anyway, my 2 cents...