closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Newbie - Looking to buy a Tudor!

Master

Newbie - Looking to buy a Tudor!

Hey All,

Been reading a while, and really keen to get hold of a Tudor. Torn between the usual choice, Pelagos vs BB.

Both different, but like them both.

A question, there was talk of some BB having the date function, which ones have this and which don't? (I see steel and gold has it)... And any Tudor plans to expand the range that we know about.

And mainly, just wanted to say hello to you all, and that I look forward to contributing!

Craftsman
    Hello and welcome!

I think only the Black Bay S&G, Black Bay Steel (steel bezel model) and Black Bay Chrono have dates. All the rest are no dates.

I don’t know of any rumours about expanding the BB range, although people have been wishing for a BB GMT for a while now, so I’m sure by the time Baselworld comes around there will be rumours about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basel isn't far away. No doubt there will be newer versions in some way.

But possibly not available for many months after.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Great. Look forward to getting hold of one of these and keeping it as an everyday watch.

Rather than my current method of having many I don't wear!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Great. Look forward to getting hold of one of these and keeping it as an everyday watch.

Rather than my current method of having many I don't wear!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    If you’re not in a hurry to own and can get down to Harrods, put your name on the waiting list for a Black Bay Green - very nice watch and good, longer-term investment potential.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    If you’re not in a hurry to own and can get down to Harrods, put your name on the waiting list for a Black Bay Green - very nice watch and good, longer-term investment potential.
    Any idea how long the waiting list is and when they will stop producing?

Master
    Only way to really be sure is try them on. That may well make your mind up there and then. Very different watches.

Sorry to hijack buy a BB GMT sounds to me like a amazing idea. I haven’t heard about this as of yet. And I need a GMT in my collection. May wait until after Baselworld.
    Op I would try both on and go with your gut.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I’m lucky enough to have both & could not choose between them, it’s be like deciding on which child - if I had them!

Had never noticed the S&G had a date.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    Sorry to hijack buy a BB GMT sounds to me like a amazing idea. I haven’t heard about this as of yet. And I need a GMT in my collection. May wait until after Baselworld.
    Op I would try both on and go with your gut.

I've been looking around at a GMT to add to my collection, be nice if they did bring one out.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    When I was choosing between the BB and the Pelagos i did my research online and was more or less settled on the BB. When I actually tried them on I changed my mind and went for the Pelagos. When compared side by side they are very different watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Allwatches View Post
    Any idea how long the waiting list is and when they will stop producing?
    Funny you should ask that. I went into the Tudor section of Harrods with my wife last Saturday to check that I was on the waiting list following two previous phone calls to them. They confirmed that I was but took my details again, mainly to provide me with further reassurance. The watch itself was in a glass display case and looked great on the bracelet and black strap - even my wife liked it!

I asked the guy there about all the conflicting information (particularly on watch forums!) surrounding this watch. He said don't believe everything that you read on the internet and that: the first 100 watches had gone; the waiting list was now up to 1,800; it is a 'special' and not 'limited' edition therefore Tudor will continue to produce them until everyone on the list has one (I'm certain he also mentioned that they would continue to be numbered as well). Lastly, he could not guarantee how long my wait would be but indicated around December 2018.

Therefore, it's still worth contacting them to get on the list but be prepared for a long wait.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    Funny you should ask that. I went into the Tudor section of Harrods with my wife last Saturday to check that I was on the waiting list following two previous phone calls to them. They confirmed that I was but took my details again, mainly to provide me with further reassurance. The watch itself was in a glass display case and looked great on the bracelet and black strap - even my wife liked it!

I asked the guy there about all the conflicting information (particularly on watch forums!) surrounding this watch. He said don't believe everything that you read on the internet and that: the first 100 watches had gone; the waiting list was now up to 1,800; it is a 'special' and not 'limited' edition therefore Tudor will continue to produce them until everyone on the list has one (I'm certain he also mentioned that they would continue to be numbered as well). Lastly, he could not guarantee how long my wait would be but indicated around December 2018.

Therefore, it's still worth contacting them to get on the list but be prepared for a long wait.
    So if the list keeps growing tudor will continue making the watches? Speculators will be upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    So if the list keeps growing tudor will continue making the watches? Speculators will be upset.
    Well, that was my interpretation - they will definitely produce more while the demand is there but, being a 'special' edition, they will cease making them one day.

Master
    Thank you for all the comments so far. I am not a big fan of the green, so I would probably not go for the Harrods version!

My research continues...can anyone help me with telling me what the difference is between these two? (I think nothing, but just want to confirm this)

http://www.watches-of-switzerland.co...ch/p/17770467/

http://www.watches-of-switzerland.co...ay/p/17770466/

I wanted a date version ideally, but struggling to understand the big advantages of the Pelagos. So far my reading tells me that it is liable to scratching more easily. I am also not sure about the square markers which seem to be etched in around the side of the dial. I did go to an AD last week and I tried the BB, made a mistake in not trying the Pelagos at the same time, so will have to go back! Any big pelagos fans who can tell me why they bought it over the BB?

http://www.watches-of-switzerland.co...ch/p/17770446/

Craftsman
    One has a bracelet, the other only has the nato by the look of it. I've got a BBN (smiley face version, bought off this forum) and have not actually worn it on the bracelet at all.

I've now got it on a zulu diver leather nato - sorry about the strip lighting reflection, best shot I could get at London Bridge Underground station!

No difference in those WOS Black Bays - you're correct. One just shows it on the fabric strap, and the other on bracelet. But both have the same model number and are listed as coming on stainless steel bracelet. The extra fabric strap is included in the box as well.

In choosing between the Black Bay and the Pelagos, I tend to think of the former as a dressier option, if you usually wear more formal gear, and the latter as more of a true 'tool' watch (especially if you plan to dive etc.). Can't go wrong with either though - they're brilliant.

I have had my Pelagos a while now, and am a big fan.

HERE is the arrival post I did about it that explains why I like it so much.

And this is why it has the shape of indices that it does, next to its 1976 (in this case) ancestor

Dave

Master
    Thank you for the advice and the great pics. I think I will need to travel back into the AD and try on the watches again.

On another note, I have been trying to look online (Tudor site and WOS site) to find the dimensions of the watch, in particular the height but cannot seem to find it! Any idea where I can look to get this? In particular Pelagos vs BB - as I keep hearing the Pelagos is thicker and feels bigger to wear, will be interesting to see the dimensions .

Apprentice
    All useful info. here - i'm in a similar position as the OP, in that I'm currently looking for a new/special everyday watch - although only really looking the the BB, rather than a Pelagos.

Due to try them on this weekend - so that may change...

Master
    What is making you go for BB over Pelagos?

If anybody has the dimensions data that would be really helpful!

There’s no substitute for handling them and trying them on.

I know a few people with a Pelagos and have tried them on and while I like the look of them I didn’t warm to the model enough to buy one.

Conversely I have one of the original red bezel BBs and a Bronze and both are keepers.

Maybe it’s the titanium thing as I don’t have any titanium watches at all.

Master
    I think a lot of people have gone through the same thing as you including myself- Before trying either on I had pretty much decided on a BB, that changed as soon as I tried a Pelagos on, so much more comfortable on the wrist and love the easy adjustment clasp. But like people have said 'Horses for Courses' you may prefer the BB but for me the Pelagos is perfect for my needs.

Good luck with the search!

Apprentice

purely aesthetic preferences at the moment, but conscious this may all change on trying the watches on.
    The thickness of both might make life much easier if I don't get on with either.

From memory - worn&wound have reviewed both, and normally do a little overview pic, which covers dims etc.

I suggest you the Pelagos, with the BB after a while you could get tired of it