closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: “Business insurance” using my own car at work

“Business insurance” using my own car at work

I use my car on visits to clients and need to add business insurance

I’ve been quoted £80 by my existing insurer

Is there a “stand alone” policy I can buy to cover the vehicle for the business travel bit at a lower price?

I wouldn't waste too much time trying to beat £80.

I have been quoted a consistent 10-20% increase on top of the standard premium.
    Either via the car, motor home, or motorbike insurances.

It might be cheaper to wait for the annual renewal date to come round.
    £80 is likely to include their £25-£30 admin fee for changing the policy.

Master
    I think there are various types of business use insurance classifications depending on what you are actually doing and how often.

I have business use, and it cost me £19 this year. I do very few miles 2k a year tops for business milage
    Last edited by LuBee; 22nd January 2018 at 16:56.

I doubt you'd beat £80 on a stand alone insurance policy (It can't cost much less to administer!), but adding it to your normal policy at renewal will, as others have said, mean it's just a small percentage uplift (if any at all).

Basically, any mid year change (car, drivers, address) is just an opportunity for insurers to make some more money out of you...

M

Actually, I'm surprised it is as much as that - I think there must be a pretty chunk admin fee for a mid-year policy alteration. I include business use on both my cars as a matter of course, even though I rarely if ever use them for business. I've checked at renewal in the past and it makes literally no difference to my premium. If there was a lot of business mileage each year, I guess I can see how it might be a bit more than that.

Master
    Note that if you have 'commuting to place of business' cover & then drive to another office/site you are driving while uninsured.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Note that if you have 'commuting to place of business' cover & then drive to another office/site you are driving while uninsured.

This is is true. I work across 2 hospital sites and have to take out business insurance.

Nope.

Under legislation flowing from the EU, every Motor Insurer is legally obliged to input the insured vehicle registration onto the Motor Insurance Database - you can't enter it twice. So two Policies wouldn't work.

Also, I appreciate the desire to save cash, but it would be an administrative nightmare.

Quite apart from having two different sets of Policy conditions, two renewal dates, two payments, two certificates, maybe two different excesses, where would one Policy end and the other begin?

Both Policies will carry a 'more relevant Policy' condition to avoid payment if there is another Policy in force which is more appropriately the home of the claim. You don't want them fighting between each other. If you crash driving from home to work, is that SD&P or Business? If you go visit a client, but do your shopping on the return journey to the office, is that SD&P or merely part of the return leg of the same Business journey?

Agree it would probably work out more economical to enhance cover at renewal. Or at least you can canvass for alternative combined SD&P/Business Use quotes at that time.

Pay the £80 and put in an expense form ?

Craftsman
    I get class one business use included with my admiral policy. Think I paid about £50 before. 80 is quite high but probably cheaper than ending the policy early. If it's an upgrade then I'd pay the extra through the business.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I wouldn't waste too much time trying to beat £80.
    But you don't know how long a period that £80 is to cover as the OP says he's adding it to his existing policy.... it maybe only £80 but that could be for three months cover or however long is left on the current policy, so could perhaps work out at £300 extra for a complete year.

The OP doesn't say how long his existing cover has to run so just putting a "cost" of £80 is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    The OP doesn't say how long his existing cover has to run so just putting a "cost" of £80 is meaningless.
    Agreed
    Mine is +£20 for the £200 motorbike insurance (10%) / +£30 for the £200 car insurance (15%) / +£60 for the £300 motor home insurance (20%)

If I went to work in a Lamborgini with fully comp insurance, £80 might be a bargain.
    The £80 uplift is less appealing in a clapped out Nissan Micra with basic fire & theft insurance at £40/year.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    Agreed
    Mine is +£20 for the £200 motorbike insurance (10%) / +£30 for the £200 car insurance (15%) / +£60 for the £300 motor home insurance (20%)

If I went to work in a Lamborgini with fully comp insurance, £80 might be a bargain.
    The £80 uplift is less appealing in a clapped out Nissan Micra with basic fire & theft insurance at £40/year.
    I meant the £80 extra cost could be just to cover a couple of months until the current policy expires.
    He hasn't been quoted for a years seperate business cover, it's been quoted as an add on.
    So for example it could work out at an extra £400 for a years business cover.

I have business use on both my policies and one day I unticked the business insurance box to see what difference it would make. Strangely, it cost more without business insurance.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

If you add it at 'renewal quotation time', it often has little effect on the premium, but it may exclude insurers who charge a premium for adding that (or rather bump them down the price list a bit).

Adding it mid-term will always attract a premium, unless you are insured with one of the very rare insurers who allow FoC changes mid-term.

Slightly different, but I added my mother onto two of our car policies recently so she could use our cars while she stayed with us. One premium went up, the other went down.
    Last edited by Maysie; 23rd January 2018 at 15:53.

Master
    As stated above , some of the cost £35 to £40 will be admin. I would add to existing policy as two companies I have worked for insist on seeing bus ins cover before paying expenses! So if you delay and do more than 190 miles you may become out of pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    As stated above , some of the cost £35 to £40 will be admin. I would add to existing policy as two companies I have worked for insist on seeing bus ins cover before paying expenses! So if you delay and do more than 190 miles you may become out of pocket.
    I have known this too. It was part of the companies 'due diligence' that they need to ensure that the have evidence that their employees are insured and have an appropriate licence before the employee can use their own vehicles on company business. All part of the 'policies and procedures' which are commonly in place nowadays.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Pay the £80 and put in an expense form ?
    Tried this at an old employer, told me to go whistle!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I’ll pay it won’t get caught out again
    Funny how I was asked to visit an urgent client yesterday in my RR when they know well I haven’t taken the added insurance yet!

Wifey and I both have business cover on our policies - we are over 50 with zero points and advanced driving qualifications.
    She's a district nurse doing 15,000 miles per year out in the sticks, I hack up/down the M6/M40.

Over the past three or four years, we have run our online insurance renewal quotes with/without business cover.

For us, there is no additional cost to add business cover.

With the demise of the company car and rise of the car allowance, I think this is the case for most drivers if added at renewal time.
    Last edited by W124; 24th January 2018 at 20:52.