closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Urgent - can anyone identify this connector?

Urgent - can anyone identify this connector?

[IMG][/IMG]

This is an urgent one - this connector has failed and needs to be replaced to operate a piece of equipment tomorrow. It is the black connector that we are unsure of the name of - anyone got any ideas?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Looks a bit like mini displayport. Knowing what the cables purpose is might narrow things down (or what the equiptment is that it is to be used for). While I say mDP, it doesn't look like it has enough pins.

Last edited by hafle; 23rd January 2018 at 16:57.

Measure it and if dimensions are like this, then it is mini displayport.

Yep - brilliant - well done chaps!

Now, where do I get one of these connected to three phonos as in the pic, by tomorrow morning...

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    This is an urgent one - this connector has failed and needs to be replaced to operate a piece of equipment tomorrow. It is the black connector that we are unsure of the name of - anyone got any ideas?
    What is the piece of equipment?

The cable looks link mini display port to rgb rca, but as others have mentioned there doesn't look like enough pins on the mini display port connector.

Actually on zooming in there aren't 20 pins on the thing we think might be a mini display port.
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 23rd January 2018 at 17:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad The Bad View Post
    What is the piece of equipment?

The cable looks link mini display port to rgb rca, but as others have mentioned there doesn't look like enough pins on the mini display port connector.

It's something called a Tricaster.

An older version of this one:

http://www.jigsaw24.com/pws/ProductD...SABEgLzlfD_BwE

Maplins I would think

Master
    Amazon maybe. Might get in 24hrs or same day if you are lucky.

Master
    That may be a custom cable. which model is it from & which port/input/output on the chassis does it connect to?

Do you know it's definately the multipin end that is damaged or could it be one of the phonos? They could be resoldered.

Master
    I can’t suggest where to get one, but have you access to a meter and soldering gear?

If so is it worth trying to bodge a fix?

I’d meter the pin outs to try and determine if only one or two cores have failed, and see if I could replace either the phono plugs or failed cable, it might not look great but could get you out of a hole.

If a large numbe have failed I’d cut the cable at the halfway point and pin out again hopefully that will give you one problem half to deal with.

From there it’s a case of trimming and pinning out until you have lost the problem and then re join with solder.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I can’t suggest where to get one, but have you access to a meter and soldering gear?

If so is it worth trying to bodge a fix?

I’d meter the pin outs to try and determine if only one or two cores have failed, and see if I could replace either the phono plugs or failed cable, it might not look great but could get you out of a hole.

If a large numbe have failed I’d cut the cable at the halfway point and pin out again hopefully that will give you one problem half to deal with.

From there it’s a case of trimming and pinning out until you have lost the problem and then re join with solder.
    Apple Store should sell the MDP adaptor if one near you - I know that saved me in London once. Or Amazon locker delivery ?

Master
    True , phonos are about the easiest thing to solder. Buy three new ones cut them off and resolder new ones .

What result do you get on the input device?

The three phonos concern me a bit . If its analogue RGB it would usually have another couple of signals to give sync. Probably 4 phonos instead of 3 with the fourth being HV sync. If its sync on green then I’m not sure you can tap that off a phono without splitting it off the green beforehand which is back to 4 plugs again.

In which case it might just be composite video on one phono and audio on the two others . In which case try plugging in the other phonos into the composite input , you may just have the wrong one .
    Turn the volume on the source down first.

Might have been repurposed as just a connector though. Not too familiar with DisplayPort but the video signals (if thats what they are) should be standard.

Whats the visual result on the display ? I can probably troubleshoot it a bit.

Master
    Isn’t it RGB component video? The black connector looks like it has 10 pins and not 20 like the MDP though.

Master
    The cable could be Y/C, RGB or YUV - it's generally selectable in the Tricaster software. The problem is the multipin connector. It doesn't look like USB of any flavour, Mini DP or Mini HDMI. I suspect it may be something like a Fuji camera connector but I cannot identify it.

This Canon CTC-100 cable looks similar:

Master
    This Sony cable looks similar.... https://www.videoonerepair.com/produ...cable-hdr-fx7/

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    This Canon CTC-100 cable looks similar:
    Indeed it does, good detective work there. Bad news is, it's a proprietary connector on the multi-pin end (the RCAs are ubiquitous). It looks as though Amazon have a replacement cable, although it's anyone's guess whereabouts it's physically located..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-CTC-1.../dp/B000JLPMMG

HTH,

Plug

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    it looks this is the one.

Thanks everyone who contributed on this. The bit of kit is actually with my missus - I don’t think it is going to be possible to get this sorted by tomorrow. I’ll have a look at the lead closely and see if anything can be done, and it might be a referral back to the original manufacturer.

Once again, many thanks and TZ expertise never fails to amaze!

Master
    If you have something like a multimeter or continuity tester you may be able to narrow it down. If there are only five pins on the multiway connector then three of them will go to each center pin on the three phonos. The outer ring of the phonos will almost certainly all be connected to one of the remaining multi pins or maybe both of them. If there are more than five pins then you might find the phono screens are separate on the multi but I think that's less likely.

If you find a disconnection then you need someone with a soldering iron to put on a new phono (Maplin stock them) which might cure the problem. Maybe a PC repair shop you could walk into? I'm not sure TV repair shops exist any more.

You could risk the lead from Amazon but you wouldn't get it until Thursday & the pin connections might not be the same. At least you can send it back if it didn't work.

Craftsman
    I believe its a camcorder video cable, and you'll find that the black connector end actually fits the camera and not the streaming video device. It looks an awful lot like this Sony one, but there are quite a few similar cables.

https://uedata.amazon.com/Replacemen.../dp/B00KY9TBYS

The good news is that if I'm right, you may able to hook up a different camera to the streaming unit and move forward with your project tomorrow. The other end is standard Y Pb Pr (component) video, a very common type.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by jcm3; 24th January 2018 at 04:37.

Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    I believe its a camcorder video cable, and you'll find that the black connector end actually fits the camera and not the streaming video device. It looks an awful lot like this Sony one, but there are quite a few similar cables.

https://uedata.amazon.com/Replacemen.../dp/B00KY9TBYS

The good news is that if I'm right, you may able to hook up a different camera to the streaming unit and move forward with your project tomorrow. The other end is standard Y Pb Pr (component) video, a very common type.

Yes, again thanks everyone. It did in fact turn out to be a Sony camera connector, and measures have been taken to make alternative arrangements.

'Ain't TZ wonderful?

Master
    You are welcome. Nothing quite like a google treasure hunt!

You are welcome. Nothing quite like a google treasure hunt!
    Much appreciated - the missus says thanks too.

Was it a slow worm? 🐛