closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SORTED thank you: How can I view my self-assessment statement online????

SORTED thank you: How can I view my self-assessment statement online????

I know I've done this before, I just can't figure it out this time.

I'm partly self-employed and fill in a self-assessment each year. It's done again for this year and I have the HMRC tax calculation figures, which tie in with my calculations (hooray!) so now I need to make the payment. This is where I struggle every year!

The problem is, I have already paid two amounts, one in January 2017 and one in July 2017 and HMRC don't take this pre-paid amount into consideration when they tell you what is owed for the year. To try and work out what I need to pay them in Jan 2018 I really need to see the account online. I have done it before but have failed to find it this time. HMRC's own paper statement says I can view it online "follow on-screen instructions" is exactly what it says, but I have failed miserably!

Does anyone have any clues how to see one's online statement of account? There's beer in it.

Update: All sorted now. What it needed was the same search terms typed into a different browser. Strange. Followed the first firefox link that came up and bingo.
    Last edited by catch21; 23rd January 2018 at 16:59.

I've just logged in through the hmrc.gov.uk site. Then 'View your tax year overview' and select the required year in the drop down box.

I am not sure I fully understand the question.

My return is an annual declaration statement of money earned, tax paid, benefits received etc, so that at the end it shows if they owe you a rebate, or if you owe them a tax payment.

Anything you have paid to them during that financial year should be filled out in the statement, so will be automatically taken into account within the calculation.

When you have completed all of the various stages, you then get your summary which shows what they calculate how much is owed and by who. If you agree with it, you can submit. If not, then you can edit the figures when you find where you have made the mistake (assuming you don't owe money of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I am not sure I fully understand the question.

My return is an annual declaration statement of money earned, tax paid, benefits received etc, so that at the end it shows if they owe you a rebate, or if you owe them a tax payment.

It depends how much tax you owe them via SA. If you go over a certain amount (I think 4k) then they have you make "payments on account" so you pay twice a year - in July half of what they think you will owe (based on previous year's return) and the balance (corrected via your tax return) at end of Jan.

So people with PAYE/dividends/interest etc. usually make a correction via their tax return, whereas the self employed make 2 large payments per year.
    Last edited by MB2; 23rd January 2018 at 18:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    It depends how much tax you owe them via SA. If you go over a certain amount (I think 4k) then they have you make "payments on account" so you pay twice a year - in July half of what they think you will owe (based on previous year's return) and the balance (corrected via your tax return) at end of Jan.

So people with PAYE/dividends/interest etc. usually make a correction via their tax return, whereas the self employed make 2 large payments per year.

HMRC page for info:

https://www.gov.uk/understand-self-a...nts-on-account