closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All watches cost £100 but you can only have one...

Master

All watches cost £100 but you can only have one...

On another thread I stated that given the circumstance where all watch values were reset to £100 and you could only have one, I thought I'd choose my platinum Daytona over everything else. Someone said it could make for an interesting thread, so here we go...

Rules of the game:

• All watches are sold for £100. Richard Mille, Rolex, Omega, Moser, Patek, Audemars, Bvlgari, Urwerk, any of the wacky Salon QP-type stuff, new, vintage, everything. If it is a watch it is £100.
    • There is no restriction on availability.
    • Watches will not grow in value as time passes.
    • Your watch will be binned when you die.

What would you go for? Please add photos of any of the more obscure pieces we might not know!

Meantime, I'm sticking with my platinum Daytona. Maybe not very imaginative perhaps, but I love it and I'm sure it is the watch I'd choose in the circumstances above.

Master
    Probably (at the moment) the Rolex skydweller in steel and white gold. It has every function I could possibly want and is versatile enough to be worn casually and on dress occasions. Not too blingy in this configuration, especially on the leather strap.

Probably the UN Freak - catches my breath every time I see it and just stunning. here is a pic of the one just announced:

I'd stop wearing one. Who wants to feel like a hundred quid!?

I've always wanted a 6215. That would be nice to have but unfortunately they're becoming pretty excessively priced.

Master
    A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 Time Zone

As I'll never tire of looking at it. A masterpiece

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Probably the UN Freak - catches my breath every time I see it and just stunning. here is a pic of the one just announced:
    That is insane. Love it.

Master
    I will stick with my current favourite that is my 1655 Freccione Explorer11. It is simply a nice watch.

Probably the MB&F Legacy Machine 1

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    That is insane. Love it.
    And relative to some of the high end craziness, relatively 'affordable' at under 100k and definitely wearable. I've had this watch as the first watch I'd buy if I ever got ridiculously rich, one day...

Master
    PP 5790. That was easy

Master
    Bond SMP

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    PP 5790. That was easy
    Do you mean 5970? Perpetual chrono? Delicious choice if so. Material and dial?

This. It’s always been this.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 23rd January 2018 at 19:46.

I’d probably stick with my 16710. I like the fact that it’s not too thick or blingy and just does its job without pretence.

In fact, I’m toying with the idea of selling the rest of my watches except my G-Shock and adding a PRS36 to leave me with just three.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Do you mean 5970? Perpetual chrono? Delicious choice if so. Material and dial?
    Quite right, mistype. 5970G. White gold, silver dial.

Perfection

Hentschel H1

Would be very happy with it as my only watch

Roger Smith Series 4

It would be a pity to bin it when I die though....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh god that's a tricky one. I'm still thinking about it.
    The problem is that most of my icons probably wouldn't stand up to a lifetime of dunking and door frames.

In the perfect £100 world, this:

In the real world probably close to £250k. If only Rolex would make a modern version in a 40mm to 42mm case I would buy one.

215.30.40.20.01.001 Planet Ocean.

The criteria for me is that it has better hands for night-time time telling than my Seamaster 300M. Smallish 39.5mm, window in the back, date, steel strap, black dial. I can be hard on my watches, so there's no point me having a masterpiece. Functionality wins the day with me.
    Last edited by Templogin; 23rd January 2018 at 12:58.

I know not to take this thread too seriously but I've be interested re the value rule to know if all watches had always been £100 or would we know that some watches had a previous higher perceived value (even without resale).

Anyway, the only complication that I use frequently is 'GMT'. If I went to one watch it would have to have a GMT function so off the top of my head I'd have either a Seiko SUN025, Omega 2234.50 (both of which I currently own) or a 1675 Rolex. Of the three I suspect the Seiko would be easiest to live with as a single watch long term.

Master
    Probably an SBDX017 – no fuss, rock solid and dependable.

I read it as always have been and always will be £100 (although I suppose the value is irrelevant).

The idea is one watch for the rest of your life without any financial influence.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    Quite right, mistype. 5970G. White gold, silver dial.

Perfection
    Agreed and would be a top contender for me.

PP5712/1A. I reckon that the 60m WR would be fine for me and if that turned out not to be the case, I would just buy another to replace it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post

Shame it's only 41mm, that's the only thing putting me off ;) Stunning time piece tho.

Difficult one this!

I'll go for Neil Armstrong's Speedy Pro or Steve McQueen's 5512.
    "A man of little significance"

Master

Moser and cie venturer tourbillion.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

If I could only have one watch it would be my 116610LN.

Rolex Day-Date 118238 with champagne index dial

Master
    Interesting question, and not quite the same as, 'What watch would you have if you could have anything?' Would that high end watch be as tempting if everyone else on the bus has one too? Rolex would be out of the question, they'd be absolutely everywhere* - though on the other hand they're a very practical choice if you were happy looking like everyone else.

I might go for a Vacheron Constantin 222 jumbo, nice enough to be enjoyable, obscure enough to be personal.

*I am assuming here that everyone in the world gets to choose a watch for £100, not just you yourself. This changes things and makes it a bit more interesting as you can assume that 99% of people will just say 'I want a Rolex, no wait, I want a gold Rolex', with the result that they are suddenly the most common watch in the world.

Last edited by Itsguy; 23rd January 2018 at 13:35.

Ok so im going down the practicality route. 1 watch only to do everything i need and usable in all situations (office, gym, nightout, timing an egg etc........)

Got to be a G-shock M5600 on combi bracelet (with bull bars) - tough, lots of useful functions that fit my demands, still fits under a shirt cuff.

Master
    Stuff 'practicality', that way leads to sensible choices. So, for me, Patek 5370 split timing chrono, In platinum (of course). That'l do the trick.
    And my other watch can be a Timex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Stuff 'practicality', that way leads to sensible choices. So, for me, Patek 5370 split timing chrono, In platinum (of course). That'l do the trick.
    And my other watch can be a Timex.
    You don't get a second watch ;)

Master
    Then I will just have to manage with the Patek. The hardship....

Craftsman
    Its hard to pick one when you take into account the servicing costs required for high end costs every few years...

I want to say the a lange 1815 chronograph, black dial. But not sure whether I can afford the servicing costs... maybe i'll just put it in a glass box to take out once in a while.

Journeyman
    Rolex Explorer; can dress it up or down and wear it pretty much anywhere. Would have chosen Sub but I see too many...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oi, thieving oik! That's mine
    :)
    Stellar choice sir, stellar choice.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan View Post
    Roger Smith Series 4

It would be a pity to bin it when I die though....

Harrison's Lesser Watch H6...

Interesting question. In a one-watch world practicality would be important to me. I would want a go anywhere, do anything watch, sensible size, time and date only, with an integral design, so I think I'm going to go with a safe and boring choice:

Craftsman
    I'm loving my Rolex deepsea Cameron, I think I will stay with that.

The ol' hypothetical-one-watch thing? Same as always, Rolex — duh. Pretty much any one will do.

(Honourable mention to the AP Royal Oak for those who wear their watches extra-carefully.)

Craftsman
    I find it interesting how many people have chosen dress watches, given the apparent general preference for sports watches on this forum (or at least I seem to see more threads about sports watches than dress).

If I could only have one it’d have to be my grandfather’s gold service watch as it carries more sentimental value to me than anything else.

As has already been pointed out, the likely guess that steel Rolexes would be on every other wrist has to play a factor in your decision making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

This. Best of both worlds as a rolex/pam fan.

https://perezcope.com/2017/07/20/615...o-carabinieri/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’d probably stick with my 16710. I like the fact that it’s not too thick or blingy and just does its job without pretence.

In fact, I’m toying with the idea of selling the rest of my watches except my G-Shock and adding a PRS36 to leave me with just three.
    This .....i have others and always go back to my rolly of old and either the g shock as a beater or the citizen eco drive i have just got and lobbed onto a bond style nato as another beater ...rest dont get a look in

Master
    Would have to be my 126600. Perfect "only" watch.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Well, in that case, I'll have my all time fave, thanks very much. Omega 1953 Thin Arrow...

If all watch values were fixed at £100 there'd be some very unhappy people here!

I'm not sure which one I'd choose.

If pressed, I'd probably keep my Sinn Arktis from my collection if I could only have one, but if I had to go out and buy again for £100, I suspect I'd look at a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, because it never fails to look good in photos and when I've seen them on display, too. Either would solve the problem of needing a dive watch to dive in too!

That said, I rather like the Zenith El Primero 1969 (and I do like a Chrono) and I tried on a Mont Blanc World Timer last week (after admiring them for years) and I'm a little bit smitten (not sure it'd be an every day watch, though).

M