closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sky Q - worth upgrading?

Sky Q - worth upgrading?

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience with upgrading to SKY Q?

According to the SKY website I can upgrade to a 2tb box with one mini box for what I'm paying now per month and a one-off cost of just over a hundred quid.

I'm tempted but I wanted to see what some experienced users feel about it.

Thanks in advance.

Really depends on how much you are paying a month.

Sky still seems to be the best integrated system - but I now refuse to pay their fees.
    It's just a matter of time...

When you say what you're paying now - does that mean they'll not charge you for the mini box (usually £12 per month)?

I upgraded last year. Really like it BUT:

You can't select a time in a recording - so have to fast forward to it. This is very annoying.
    You can't select pre and post record times - so there is potential to miss things (hasn't happened yet)

The voice remote is very good but is way too touch sensitive. You do get an additional remote though.

I was able to upgrade for the same price I pay now plus the mini box subscription. i do like having that in the bedroom though - just had it mirroring the main TV previously.

*EDIT - my mrs hates the interface tho. Also, I would prefer to totally bin sky off but the mrs doesn't want to.

I find the ability to record up to 6 programmes just leaves me with a list of stuff I can never be bothered to watch but don't delete
    Last edited by senwar; 23rd January 2018 at 11:18.

I've had it for a year. I've got the 2TB and 4 minis. As they're only a one off cost of £99 and no extra regardless of number of boxes per month I went for the full 4.

Superb system. So much easier to record a programme on one box and be be able to access it on all the others and being able to start and stop from one box to another.

Really easy to use. It's a lot more logical. Menu system much easier to navigate around too. Would recommend it.

I upgraded in November. From sky hd which I had for a few years
    Sky q is good but like others have said a few things on sky had which were good are not on q
    Watching uhd is excellent and being able to record loads of shows at the same time is good
    Not sure about the q mini boxes being wi fi hubs because my wi fi is pretty poor
    We have the full package and 2 mini boxes and unlimited fibre We pay £70 a month.
    Andy

I upgraded from SkyHD to SkyQ a couple of months ago for the same monthly cost with no one-off payment. The integration of the minibox upstairs with the main TV is good. The default home menu is clunky but intuitive and you get used to it quickly. I'm keeping an eye open for a second minibox, currently overpriced at Sky for £99. Occasionally offered at £49 if you're quick enough to spot them. Easy to set up to a home network. Why Sky are insisting the minibox requires an engineer home visit to set it up is beyond me when it's no more difficult than logging into your home network with your phone. Search for network-password-in. All in all though, I'm pleased with it. Not cheap, I'm paying £100 a month for everything. Movies, sports, phone and broadband but it all gets hammered.

Thanks all, seems the consensus is that it's good but with a few niggly problems. My main reason for upgrading is for 4K as I've just got a new TV, I agree with senwar though that being able to record more is just going to leave me with a pile of stuff that I don't have time to watch, especially as I'm now on Netflix too!

Hopefully this will be offset a little by the 2tb box which should fill-up more slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    When you say what you're paying now - does that mean they'll not charge you for the mini box (usually £12 per month)?
    Hi senwar, my quote did show that I'd opted for the new mini box subscription at £12 pm but it didn't alter my monthly payment, the current and new figures were the same.

Be careful

Depends on the size of your house, in larger houses it is nothing but trouble, Sky wont publish a maximum distance between boxes, and it easily gets upset by RSJ's, they don't survey first, they just want to get it installed, it isn't fit for the purpose they are selling it for, I had two mini boxes 40 feet apart that could actually see each other but wouldn't communicate, the sky people gave up, saying they shouldn't be selling to larger houses as it never works, my house really isn't that big I got a full refund.

One other thing to mention (and the above point made me remember this) but I've been able to set my mini box up via powerline and not wifi.

It's not fully supported yet but the Sky Q equipment work as powerline so connect via socket as opposed to wifi. This works very well in my house (a largish 5 bed detached)

It's superb and I'm glad I made the move over, had it about 6 months now.

Craftsman
    I updated to skyQ a month ago now. Love the fact you can record 6 programmes at once, (with 2 kids at home there was always clashes with sky HD box).
    The interface is weird and still doesn't seem as good as the old hd box.
    Remote is good, there is only the one remote now, you can program it for either touch or buttons, voice is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Be careful

Depends on the size of your house, in larger houses it is nothing but trouble, Sky wont publish a maximum distance between boxes, and it easily gets upset by RSJ's, they don't survey first, they just want to get it installed, it isn't fit for the purpose they are selling it for, I had two mini boxes 40 feet apart that could actually see each other but wouldn't communicate, the sky people gave up, saying they shouldn't be selling to larger houses as it never works, my house really isn't that big I got a full refund.
    Did they leave you the white booster box?

They left me one but I haven't had to use it

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Did they leave you the white booster box?

They left me one but I haven't had to use it
    Yes and changed the frequency and hard wired one of the mini boxes before they gave up

That’s annoying!

Master
    I've got it being installed this week.

I had no idea that sky are running a VIP program via the sky app until I called last week when my dish was damaged in the storms. As I've been with them for 15+ continuous years I got free installation on the new sky kit. So kept existing (60% off) deal, pay £12 extra per month for the system and got the first mini-box free but chose to pay £99 one off for the second one.

Blog Entries
    OK guys currently got HD multi room and can get Q for nothing extra or any installation fees inc extra box so my question is

My Wife watches her stuff on one tv i watch on mine with Q and extra box can i retain this separation ? the attraction is not having to connect to satellite cable the extra box.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    OK guys currently got HD multi room and can get Q for nothing extra or any installation fees inc extra box so my question is

My Wife watches her stuff on one tv i watch on mine with Q and extra box can i retain this separation ? the attraction is not having to connect to satellite cable the extra box.
    It should be better. The cables from the dish just go to the main box on q and streams content to the mini-boxes. They then just plug into a tv via HDMI with no need for a coax sky feed so you aren't constrained by running cables to where you want a mini-box.

With multi-room you can only replay content on the box it was recorded. With Q all recordings are stored on the main box and can be viewed on any box or mini-box. Gives flexibility over who commandeers the main TV for playback, as there's no longer an argument for that being the only tv you can replay recorded content!

I have had this for around a week and it works well i mainly had it installed for 4K UHD viewing and the Football does look very good nicer interface and its future proofed the Sky Q app is great as i can watch anything on My iPad if the Missus wants to watch something.Again its not cheap but i am sure if You are an existing Customer they will do You a deal i received two boxes(1 2TB Box and a mini box),for £80 inc.installation.

Craftsman
    The only thing with q recordings are that they all go on the same planner that gets full up with loads of crap the kids record, it would make sense to have individual folders to keep the planner clean.

Master

Happy customer

I’ve had it for around 6 months and upgraded as a loyal customer I get full package plus B.B. phone etc for £83 which is less than I used to pay and have 3 mini boxes around the house which is fantastic compared to the old multi room charge - I much prefer the larger remote with the talk facility and the ability to watch on the I pad when the Mrs and kids take over is a god send and the quality is great.

I also took advantage of the sky sound box offer and what a great addition that has been watching football and movies has been transformed and it’s also a brilliant blue tooth speaker so much so the Bose speakers have been made redundant
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 24th January 2018 at 10:35.

My biggest gripe with SKY Q is the delay between the main box and the mini boxes. I have a TV in the living room and one in the kitchen. If I have the lads around to watch the footy, with Sky HD I used to be able to have the footy on in both rooms and it would be in perfect sync. With Sky Q there’s a 1-2 second delay which will spoil the World Cup for me.

As a downstream wireless device it’s perfectly understandable that the mini boxes will be slightly behind the main box, but why can’t Sky just ‘buffer’ the main box so that it stays in sync with the mini boxes. It should be so easy to do.

Blog Entries
    So if i am clear you record everything on the main box but can select to watch what you want on either the main box or the mini one?
    I think i will probably stay with the independence of two separate boxes and rework the sat cable.
    Last edited by mart broad; 24th January 2018 at 09:41.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Recommended!!!

I got it last week, main box in the lounge with my 4K 55” tv, looks amazing. Mini box in the conservatory with a booster in the kitchen works perfectly although no UHD 4K on a mini box.

You also get 4 “licenses” for watching on other devices, 2 for “iOS” type and 2 for consoles.

My lad has an xbox1 and ps4, and can apparently get sky on them with these “licenses” (haven’t checked as that would necessitate me entering his room, or “the temple (of doom)” as it’s known...)

Mrs RJM loves it, and “happy wife, happy life!” Springs to mind. It’ll prevent countless rows about who is watching “their” program.....

I couldn’t care less about anything on there apart from Rugby, so can’t wait for Superleague XXIII next Thursday!

COYS!

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    So if i am clear you record everything on the main box but can select to watch what you want on either the main box or the mini one?
    I think i will probably stay with the independence of two separate boxes and rework the sat cable.

You can use mini Box, or Main box to record anything. Anything you record will be accessible from any of the boxes.

I've had Sky Q since March 2016 (early adopter) and apart from one niggle find it infinitely better than my old Sky HD

First - the bad:

We have to reset our box every 2-3 weeks when it decides to lose the recording schedule. However, as far as I know, this is better n newer kit (which reminds me - I must shout at them again).

Expensive

The good:

record 6 programmes and watch a seventh (2 was never enough)

watch recorded programmes on any connected device (mini box, tablet, phone, etc.)

2Tb capacity - 50% full is as high as we've got

Better WiFi router than the old Sky Router

MUCH better interface

Works perfectly with Logitech Harmony Ultimate (and Alexa)

Seamlessly connects through XBox

4K (if you need it)

I would struggle to do without it

Cheers,

Mark C

Master
    If you missed my note earlier in the thread - Get the Sky sound box deal its a brilliant bit of kit as confirmed by some independant reviews - I got mine for £250 direct from Sky

https://www.whathifi.com/sky/soundbox/review

Thanks to all for the replies, the mostly positive trend seems to have continued so I'm leaning towards signing-up.

Quick question on the tablet front, do you have to be on the local network or can you access content from anywhere?

You have to download locally (programs you’ve saved) if you’re not on the network, if you are, you have full access. You can also watch live on cellular or WiFi out and about

I was going to sign up today, but we have a 60% discount that ends in August and signing up to Q would be a new 18 month contract so would only benefit from the discount for the next 6 months then would be stuck paying full price for a year

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I was going to sign up today, but we have a 60% discount that ends in August and signing up to Q would be a new 18 month contract so would only benefit from the discount for the next 6 months then would be stuck paying full price for a year
    I’ve got this to come in July. I signed up in september for q. I’ve had 60% for about 5yrs.

Just decided if they won’t play ball (and they probably won’t) I’ll just reduce to the basic package.

Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    You have to download locally (programs you’ve saved) if you’re not on the network, if you are, you have full access. You can also watch live on cellular or WiFi out and about
    Thanks badger, so I can download recorded programs while on the local network and then watch them on the iPad whenever I like, when I'm out and about etc. is that right?

We upgraded last year. 2tb main box and 3 minis.

On the whole please. The interface is much better. It is great to watch a program anywhere rather than the box it was recorded on.

Don’t like their mesh WiFi though. We have a fairly large house and it kept crapping out. Difficulty when moving around the house. You had to turn off WiFi on iPhone and turn back on again.

In the end went back to the devolo poweline/WiFi setup we previously had and turned off all the WiFi on sky boxes.

Works brilliantly now.

Also just remembered nest camera just would not connect via the sky mesh. On the devolo works flawless.
    Maybe sky have sorted since but can’t be bothered to check as current setup works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, that’s right!

Quote Originally Posted by thefatboy View Post
    Thanks badger, so I can download recorded programs while on the local network and then watch them on the iPad whenever I like, when I'm out and about etc. is that right?

I’ve had sky q since early 2016. The main box and a mini box. Internet, landline and a fairly standard TV package. I pay about £110 a month. Sounds like I’m getting ripped off compared to some of the deals you guys seem to have. Time to try the disconnection trick?

You can't select a time in a recording - so have to fast forward to it. This is very annoying.
    You can't select pre and post record times - so there is potential to miss things (hasn't happened yet)
    Although I've not find a way yet to input a time, you can use the left and right arrow buttons when a program is paused. Each press advances 1 minute, if you hold the arrow it rapidly cycles through the minutes.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Although I've not find a way yet to input a time, you can use the left and right arrow buttons when a program is paused. Each press advances 1 minute, if you hold the arrow it rapidly cycles through the minutes.

Thanks. Wasn’t aware of that.

Just find it mad the start time isn’t selectable.

Agreed.

Craftsman

Initially I was annoyed about it too.
    But realistically, once you've recorded a programme, you start it from the beginning, you watch say half of the programme and it will start again from that point.
    There is no real need to be imputing a specific time, and if you ever did it only takes a few seconds holding the right hand pad down.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    Initially I was annoyed about it too.
    But realistically, once you've recorded a programme, you start it from the beginning, you watch say half of the programme and it will start again from that point.
    There is no real need to be imputing a specific time, and if you ever did it only takes a few seconds holding the right hand pad down.
    Disagree here to be honest.

Occasionally me and the mrs watch the same programme but separately. I might watch a match back up to half time (if I record a game I've been to), she restarts it at beginning - for me to get back where it was is a real PITA. Likewise I might not want to watch the whole game back and head straight to the analysis.

Just one example there.

Craftsman
    Disagree here to be honest.

Occasionally me and the mrs watch the same programme but separately. I might watch a match back up to half time (if I record a game I've been to), she restarts it at beginning - for me to get back where it was is a real PITA. Likewise I might not want to watch the whole game back and head straight to the analysis.

Just one example there.
    Ah ok, that might be an issue, but we always watch programmes together we both like or just watch separate if not. Never come across your problem as yet.
    We've only had skyQ since just before Christmas so still getting to grips with the changes.

Also annoying is only being able to delete 1 program at a time from the deleted folder
    Or can the whole lot be done at once ?
    Andy

Master
    If only I had the time or the inclination to regurgitate our recent issues with Sky Q, having been early adopters when it was first launched in 2016. I'll see if I can summon up the will...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    I’ve had sky q since early 2016. The main box and a mini box. Internet, landline and a fairly standard TV package. I pay about £110 a month. Sounds like I’m getting ripped off compared to some of the deals you guys seem to have. Time to try the disconnection trick?
    Yeah... I’ve been following this thread and descided to try my luck with Sky

They were going to take my price (everything included) from £85 to £113

Not a particulalry useful retention call when I was whinging about price!

So, I’ve set to cancel and will see what they come up with once they’ve had a moment to reflect on the possibility of losing a valued customer

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

So, I’ve set to cancel and will see what they come up with once they’ve had a moment to reflect on the possibility of losing a valued customer
    In the same position no decent offers yet and two weeks to go! My issue with cancelling is having to return the boxes as they are ‘rented’ so if you do go back you would have to take the hit on the off payment for them again.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy333 View Post
    In the same position no decent offers yet and two weeks to go! My issue with cancelling is having to return the boxes as they are ‘rented’ so if you do go back you would have to take the hit on the off payment for them again.

Let me know what they come back with…. He really they start pleading with 1 week to go…. Would be nice to see what to aim for!

I’ll be very interested to hear what happens. Please keep us posted.

Master
    As I hinted at in my previous post we have had our fair share of problems with Sky Q of late and to be honest I'm still not ready to talk about it, such is the amount of my time wasted as a result.

However, due to all of the issues I am somewhat pleased to report that where we were paying £122 per month for pretty much everything Sky have to offer on the Q platform we are now paying only £87 per month and have NOT been required to sign up for a minimum term.

I don't know how the guy from their Customer Retentions Team did it because I've spoken to numerous other members of Sky staff in various departments including their Executive Support Team (who were awful!) and they all told me, categorically, such a discount would not be possible under any circumstances and that we would always be required to sign up to a new 18 month minimum term contract.

We've had an engineer out today who replaced our original 2TB box for the newer hardware version and it seems to have done the trick...

Journeyman
    Let me know what they come back with…. He really they start pleading with 1 week to go…. Would be nice to see what to aim for!

Thought I’d see what deals they have now I’m a week away :) Managed to get 55% of broadband and 50% of my TV bundle quite pleased with that!
    Costing me £62 for Fibre unlimited, Sky Q bundle, F1 and multi room

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy333 View Post
    Thought I’d see what deals they have now I’m a week away :) Managed to get 55% of broadband and 50% of my TV bundle quite pleased with that!
    Costing me £62 for Fibre unlimited, Sky Q bundle, F1 and multi room

Oooh…. That is s good deal…. Will hang on!

Craftsman
    was in local shopping centre yesterday and the Sky team had their stall there.

They offered to upgrade me for £212 quid. The 2Tb box and two multi room boxes. Would be £12 extra a month for multi room.

Is that a good deal?