closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speedmaster Professional - Regrets?

Journeyman

Speedmaster Professional - Regrets?

So I’ll be shopping for a Speedmaster Pro for my 40th soon. I’ve read lots about it, tried a few on, and think it’s great. However, I’ve bought watches before because they’ve had amazing reviews and look great, but they’ve sat in my box more or less unworn.

I was wondering if any of you have bought one and then regretted it. If so why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Other people's regrets should have nothing to do with your purchase decision. If you are in doubt already, then either look at something else find a good used example and sell or trade it at no loss for the watch you actually want.

Craftsman
    I bought the MOTM and while I do like wearing it, I wish I had bought the '57 or a broadarrow which I was really in love with. I ended up wearing the MOTM on the day my son was born though, so its got more meaning now than just good looks!

I don't think you can go wrong though - the MOTM loves pretty much every kind of strap you can throw on it with the exception of rubber. Helps keep it fresh.

Journeyman
    Good advice. Not having doubts, just keen to understand others’ thoughts on the Speedy!

I like the Speedmaster but I also find them a bit boring. This is why I have held off from getting one.

Grand Master
    Best of the Speedmasters by a long way. The only possible drawback is the acrylic crystal, but a tube of metal polish and polyywatch will keep it in good condition when it picks up a scratch or two.

If you're uncertain about it why not try one on again before buying?

Paul

No regrets here.

Even leaving aside the backstory of it's contribution to human endeavour, and the Omega pedigree, it's just everything I want in a watch - nicely-sized, versatile in wear, robust, characterful but understated, highly legible, a design masterclass, masculine & it'll be just as relevant 50 years from now.

Plus, Cosmonauts on the International Space Station are still issued with them right now as their official kit.

What's not to like?

Ive wanted one for a few years now.

I finally got one a couple of months ago.

I love it, Ive flipped dozens of watches in the past. I think i can truthfully say though, that this is a keeper for sure!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    What's not to like?
    These days I worry that they are a bit expensive. I bought mine at "yesterdays prices". At today's prices, I'd be seriously considering other things - still a tough call though.

I sold mine quite quickly.

The crown is quite small and fiddly which isn’t great for a manual wind watch.

Not the only reason it didn’t stay but an important consideration that is seldom mentioned.

Journeyman
    Forgive my NOOB question but I can’t watch any more of that Archie guy. What’s an MOTM? Is it a normal Speedy Pro or a special edition?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphster View Post
    Forgive my NOOB question but I can’t watch any more of that Archie guy. What’s an MOTM? Is it a normal Speedy Pro or a special edition?

It's simply the man on the moon, or a moon watch - basically a Speedmaster Professional. I don't believe this moniker applies to any of the other models (Speedmaster broadarrow, racing, X side of the moon, etc).

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    It's simply the man on the moon, or a moon watch - basically a Speedmaster Professional. I don't believe this moniker applies to any of the other models (Speedmaster broadarrow, racing, X side of the moon, etc).
    Thanks, and apologies to Archie fans!

Blog Entries

Correct me if I’m wrong but it’s the 3570, Man on the Moon. No special addition just the original and best version with the hesalite crystal as worn by the astronauts, the movement is slightly different from the late 60s version but essentially the same watch and the better for it, a true classic. My one true keeper which I’ve owned from new when I first started seriously collecting.

If you don’t like the acrylic buy the sapphire sandwich version, it looks great and I’d have chosen it over the standard watch if I could have got a similar discount on one.
    It's just a matter of time...

Unfortunately the Speedy is a bit too big for my 6.5” wrist (when on the bracelet). The ‘problem’ is mainly due to the length of the solid end links rather than the lug to lug measurement. My ideal Speedmaster would be the FOIS model. Although I do prefer watches around the 38-40mm mark.

Master
    I don’t think anyone actually uses that exact phrase at all. The watch is called The Moonwatch pretty universally. Man on the Moon is the name of a pub near West Heath, perhaps that is what you are thinking of.
    Last edited by Padders; 23rd January 2018 at 00:19.

Master
    Don’t regret mine and still one of my most worn watches. If it gets a bit bashed about it will just look more vintage . One consideration might be to buy a late 861 model when it was still Tritium . You are then buying a pretty much classics Speedy with creamy Lume looks.
    I think -78’s are just under brand new rrp . Obviously if you want new , buy new and enjoy it. However a Speedmaster is one of those watches where you can more or less risk buying a 40 year old model and wind it up and watch it go with maybe a local guy servicing it.

Journeyman
    Vintage is tempting, but good ones from 78 don’t seem overly common. I probably should keep looking!

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I don’t think anyone actually uses that exact phrase at all. The watch is called The Moonwatch pretty universally. Man on the Moon is the name of a pub near West Heath, perhaps that is what you are thinking of.
    You would be wrong there then.

Around these parts it’s a moon watch - elsewhere and on other forums it’s a MOTM, which fits with the current DSOTM etc.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Haha maybe so! Not a bad pub as I remember having only been in once.

But as per Omegamatic there are plenty of forums who refer to it as MOTM. Blame Archie.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Disagree woth the comments about buying vintage instead of new.........it’s basically the same beast, so why would you?

OK, you can get all misty eyed about the fact it’s 40 years old and the lume’s tritium, but the movement has 40 years wear on it, the case will be scratched up to high heaven or refinished to look new, the bracelet will probably be totally bollacksed.......and on the wrist the new one will look the same!

This is a design that hasn’t changed significantly over the years, frankly I fail to see the appeal of a 40 yr old model when the same watch is available new.

as for being able to take an old one to a local repairer and get it properly sorted.........thise days are all but over owing to the Swatch Group stance on supplying parts. I’ve worked on a couple if these in the past and they’re nice, but I’ve given up because I won’t pay the inflated prices being asked for parts and I’m not prepared to cut corners.

Forget all the vintage hype, if you want a moonwatch buy new or nearly new. I love vintage Omegas, I own plenty, but I’ll never understand the attraction of old Speedys when the model’s still in production with very minor changes.

Paul

Master
    For someone who often goes on about how others don't understand others reasons for buying watches of a certain type..

You can buy watches to stick in a safe out of fear if making it less than new condition if that is what tickles your fancy, others buy old watches because of the age and what it potentially represents, not because it is mechanically different, that's their choice.

Grand Master
    I’m a big fan of vintage Omegas, I own 12, but I’m not a fan of vintage Speedys simply because they don’t differ significantly from the newer versions. On that basis I fail to see the attraction and my advice to the OP is to stick to his original plan to buy new or nearly new.

I’ve spent many happy hours sorting out old watches and I continue to do so, but at the end of the day a 40-50 year old watch is still an old watch. I know what they represent, they represent trouble and expense to those who don’t buy wisely. I’ve a drawer full of project watches that are in that category, just been crunching the numbers on my latest aqusition, deciding whether it’s worth building or breaking for spares.

Paul

Master
    I have no regrets buying my Speedy Pro, and the only negative thing I would have to say about mine is the fact I forget to wind it from time to time, but that's probably more me having a memory like a Sieve coupled with the fact I rotate it with my only other Watch that's automatic.

I thought I might of found myself having to polish the scratches from the hesalite crystal more often with it being pretty much a daily wearer, but in truth my tube of polywatch remains unopened.

Didn't care for the Bracelet that much as it felt heavy and was impossible to get that perfect fit for me, but having said that I prefer it's looks and feel on a combination of Leather straps anyway.

Master
    I have bought numerous Speedies over the years and always end up selling them quickly having barely worn them. I guess I just don’t rate them, despite their iconic status.

It’s a shame to let the numbers decide that decision Paul, restore them because you can. The value will catch up eventually.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    I have bought numerous Speedies over the years and always end up selling them quickly having barely worn them. I guess I just don’t rate them, despite their iconic status.
    Thinking about it more, it’s because I don’t like how they sit on my wrist. I did have a DSOTM for a while that I much preferred and I’d have another of them some day. Speedy Pros though... Aaaam oooout.

Master
    I chose the speedy pro as my 40th present too, I have no regrets it is a classic watch that seems to work with various straps to change the look if you want to. New and nearly new it is pretty good value.

At the moment I am on the look out for another, maybe a different version, as a bit more of an everyday wearer as it like to keep mine in tip top condition.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Amazing watch, such a classic design. I probably wear it more than all my others and I expect it'd be the last one I would consider selling.

Blog Entries
    I like my Speedy Tues which is an variant on the theme, with the same movement as the Speedmaster Professional (MOMT) but reverse panda sub-dials and a few other items. Anyway, I would not wear it as a daily wearer simply because of its limited wrt. I prefer a watch with higher wrt such as a 116600. I know the Speedy Pro has been through the harshest of tests for the space program, I know some people wear theirs swimming but that is the only sticking point.

I have no regrets buying a Speedy Tues, but the Pro can be read more easily that the ST.

It it wouldn’t be my “one watch”.

Martyn.

All true watch fans should have a Speedy Pro in their collection. A definite must!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Disagree woth the comments about buying vintage instead of new.........it’s basically the same beast, so why would you?

OK, you can get all misty eyed about the fact it’s 40 years old and the lume’s tritium, but the movement has 40 years wear on it, the case will be scratched up to high heaven or refinished to look new, the bracelet will probably be totally bollacksed.......and on the wrist the new one will look the same!

This is a design that hasn’t changed significantly over the years, frankly I fail to see the appeal of a 40 yr old model when the same watch is available new.

as for being able to take an old one to a local repairer and get it properly sorted.........thise days are all but over owing to the Swatch Group stance on supplying parts. I’ve worked on a couple if these in the past and they’re nice, but I’ve given up because I won’t pay the inflated prices being asked for parts and I’m not prepared to cut corners.

Forget all the vintage hype, if you want a moonwatch buy new or nearly new. I love vintage Omegas, I own plenty, but I’ll never understand the attraction of old Speedys when the model’s still in production with very minor changes.

Paul
    Horses for courses I’d guess the market is there for Vintage , probably a baby boomer thing. Personally on the occasion I see a vintage Speedy on someone I still think they add a little bit more but I’d also happily wear new or newish and regret selling a Tin Tin. The comment about local guy is now probably incorrect but surely a 5 year old Moonwatch needs a service? At that point I’d send it to STS . The cost will be xyz. If I send a 40 year Moonwatch in it’s the same cost and parts readily available . I get the issue if you’ve got some exotic beast from an extinct company but Omega maybe many things but on their vintage resource they seem to be ok I’ve always thought . BTW Omega threw in a free Extract when they serviced my -71. A nice touch I thought.

Speedmaster Professional - Regrets?

I’ve had three, two MOTM and one FOIS. Love them, get them, then leave me cold and flog them. I think it is a ‘cold’ watch. The winding crown is horrid.

Last edited by BillyCasper; 23rd January 2018 at 09:33.

I regret selling mine if that helps

Journeyman
    Love mine, but as someone has pointed out crown is a bit small and with the guards a bit of a pain to wind!! other than that I love it :-)

Scottie

I bought my first Speedy sapphire sandwich about 7 years ago, the movement through the case back was a thing of beauty but pretty pointless when its facing your wrist. I really wanted to like it but there was just something that didn't click, the face was just a bit bland so it was let go but I still had an the itch for one. So along came a pre-owned hesalite Speedy but again it didn't click so that went. Then a 145.022.69 came along on SC which was duly snapped up and it clicked. For me it was the step dial that did it, I just love looking at it. The manual wind is not too onerous and just adds to the ownership.

Master
    Haha maybe so! Not a bad pub as I remember having only been in once.

But as per Omegamatic there are plenty of forums who refer to it as MOTM. Blame Archie.

Really? Maybe it is a WUS thing or as you say down to that Archie character. You never see it at all on Omegaforums but it seems you aren’t the only one so there it is, must be me who is out of step.

As Martyn says, while a Speedmaster of pretty much any flavour is a wonderful thing, I too would have doubts about its suitability as a one and only watch. If Omega is your thing (as it is mine) something more like the 2254 might work better as an everyday all rounder. I have had several versions of Speedmaster and I do share reservations about the winding on the Pro MW. It is actually much easier on the narrower (and original) Ed White/FOIS/60th Anni/CK2998 case. I sold my 3570 Moonwatch (sorry I can’t change what I call it!) as I never wore it but have replaced it with other flavours which offered something else and were different enough to persuade me to wear them. Maybe this is why the LEs are so popular, they take the std watch and make it more interesting.
    Last edited by Padders; 23rd January 2018 at 10:04.

Master
    I don’t have a speedy but i did have a standard moonwatch which i sold. I feel the speedy is definiately a great looking watch that looks the part with any strap you throw at it but it just didn’t do it for me. Maybe it’s because i see it everywhere or how it sat on my wrist, it just didn’t do it for me.

I bought mine when I retired, whilst no regrets, it wouldn't make the cut if I decided to reduce my collection to say ten watches. Much prefer my Speedy Tuesday.

I've had mine about 9 months, and did have regrets early on, although it is now turning into something I wear quite regularly now. I had initial the regret that I should have got a Monaco instead, but I consoled myself with owning such a classic, particularly at the price I paid. It sat unloved in the watch box for months, but in the last couple of months it has got a whole new lease of life, and I really appreciate it for what what it is. I'm wearing it today. So early doubt, but now taken with its subtle charms. I think I was always embarrassed by the enormous box though!

Dave

No regrets at all. I have 3572 model with display back - best speedie in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Maybe it’s because i see it everywhere or how it sat on my wrist, it just didn’t do it for me.
    Do you mean everywhere out in public, or online etc.? I ask as I don't think I've ever seen a Speedy of any variety out in the real world. It might just be that because I don't wear one, I don't notice them? Definitely tonnes of Subs, Air Kings, DJs, one SD I can recall etc. but no Speedys.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Do you mean everywhere out in public, or online etc.? I ask as I don't think I've ever seen a Speedy of any variety out in the real world. It might just be that because I don't wear one, I don't notice them? Definitely tonnes of Subs, Air Kings, DJs, one SD I can recall etc. but no Speedys.
    Yeah everywhere both off and online. In my previous office i saw 6.....

Journeyman
    Strange, don’t think I’ve ever seen one in the wild. Tonnes of Seamasters though! Are they really that much more popular?

Master
    Apropos of nothing, are you the Hugh Trimble who appeared with his sister on Only Connect last night?

Strange, don’t think I’ve ever seen one in the wild. Tonnes of Seamasters though! Are they really that much more popular?

Which? The Speedy or the Rolexs I referred to?

And good point on the Seamsters. I'm not very familiar with all their varieties but I've definitely seen a few of the blue 300m ones. Likely many more that I've just not been aware of too.

Apropos of nothing, are you the Hugh Trimble who appeared with his sister on Only Connect last night?
    Imposter! Unless he won. In which case, 'I'm Spartacus Trimble'.

Journeyman
    Which? The Speedy or the Rolexs I referred to?

And good point on the Seamsters. I'm not very familiar with all their varieties but I've definitely seen a few of the blue 300m ones. Likely many more that I've just not been aware of too.

Imposter! Unless he won. In which case, 'I'm Spartacus Trimble'.
    The Speedy.

I'm on my third Speedy Pro and have mixed feelings about them. I'm not a fan of the new ones and none of the limited editions have done anything for me. I find the design a bit boring but when I put on my current one (a '67 321 .012 - the same model that went to the moon in '69) I remember why I like it so much. Very comfortable and an iconic design.

I wouldn't have a new one though, it feels a bit too much like a replica, but I would have a blue Pelagos, which really is a replica just without the constant production since the original Snowflakes were around. I think it's because the blue Pelagos is titanium and a rather handsome reinterpretation whereas the current Speedy is just slightly updated (lume, bracelet) and all the more sterile for it.

Still, each to their own. I don't know if you're interested in a new or old Speedy. If I had the money for a new one I'd be looking instead for the oldest (1970s?) one I could find for the money.
    "A man of little significance"

These days I worry that they are a bit expensive. I bought mine at "yesterdays prices". At today's prices, I'd be seriously considering other things - still a tough call though.
    Yes, agree they’re regrettably creeping up in price. Fortunately, the usual Omega discounts and grey dealers help trim RRP a bit.

I think Omega are caught between trying to keep a ‘prestige price’ for their most famous model, but in the quandary of being ‘straightjacketed’ by virtue of not being able to change/improve the classic Speedmaster Professional (for obvious reasons) to justify the price increase. Hence, a gigantic big box with all the toys to allow charging of an extra few hundred quid, and a never-ending spin-off range of pricey ‘special’ editions.

Regardless, along-with Tudor, various German brands, and a few others, I still think that the Speedmaster Moonwatch is good all-round value in that tricky £1.5k - £3.5k bracket. Plus, the Speedmaster is arguably the most iconic watch around, and easily re-sold.

I don’t think anyone actually uses that exact phrase at all. The watch is called The Moonwatch pretty universally
    Have to agree, I frequent a few Forums and read the watch press widely, and rarely see it called the ‘Man on the Moon’ except by that nutter Archie Luxury. It doesn’t even make that much sense as a nickname. People are free to call it whatever they like, but notably Omega themselves call it the Moonwatch, which seems sensible.