closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Tuna rubber strap recommendations

Master

Seiko Tuna rubber strap recommendations

Hi guys I just got a Seiko Tuna without the original strap so I need a quality rubber strap,that suits the watch so any help would be appreciated, I thought about a black Isofrane but they are so expensive and I read a few user reviews saying they thought the strap was too thick so any thoughts on that strap would be great, my wrist is a skinny 6.4" so,will the Isofrane be too big for me!

I just don't really want to spend £80 on a new Isofrane!!!!!!

Thanks
    Last edited by andy armitage; 22nd January 2018 at 18:13.

I have a spare Seiko rubber strap in mint condition let Me have Your details i will send it to You.

Master
    May be what you don't want to hear but isoframe just worked brilliantly for me. Thought it was the perfect combo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    May be what you don't want to hear but isoframe just worked brilliantly for me. Thought it was the perfect combo.
    Damn that wasn't what I wanted to hear 😊 I have a wtb up for one but no response so far

How about a Ted Su? Best I found?

Or I have this cheapy for £10 to the fund raiser!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Better image of the TS

Uncle Seiko waffle:

It's super comfy and gives the Tuna the retro vibe it deserves

https://www.uncleseiko.com/store/p8/...ch--__V.2.html

Currently wearing mine on an Isofrane. It really does work

If you like the Isofrane look then there are the Borealis straps ($25 delivered from Spain or somewhere).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Uncle Seiko waffle:

It's super comfy and gives the Tuna the retro vibe it deserves

https://www.uncleseiko.com/store/p8/...ch--__V.2.html
    I quite like that is it a decent quality strap and does it pick up lint?

Looks great on the waffle strap , very nice .

I have a couple of Isofrane straps - I got an isofrane copy with an Armida watch a few months ago and the quality is the same as the original Isofrane. They're a nice strap but a complete rip-off when it comes to the asking price for a strip of rubber. The Borealis ones could possible come from the same factory as the Armida ones and there are lots of positive reviews on the web of these. They're about a fifth the cost of an Isofrane.

I don't wear my Tuna on the Iso because with a skinny 6.5" wrist there's just a lot of over-wrapping of the strap. As it's quite a thick rubber then that means quite a sizable thickness in proportion to my wrist.

O.P. - if it was me I'd look into Bonetto Cinturini, they're a lovey soft, supple rubber and the model 284 and 285 are designed to take the 2.5mm Seiko fat bars. The 284 even has a tsunami style logo on it like a Seiko strap. Another option would be one of the newer Seiko straps - not the horrible, plasticky ones of old though! The OEM silicone on my SBBN033 is really nice and I believe the newer rubber on the Turtles is supposed to be good as well (possibly the same?). I do however have a feeling that these newer straps are either hard to come by or expensive - but that's off the top of my head, I haven't really looked into them yet.

http://www.bonettocinturini.it/en/ca...ogo.php?page=0

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    If you like the Isofrane look then there are the Borealis straps ($25 delivered from Spain or somewhere).

Mind you, those are pretty uncomfortable. I recently bought a SBBN015 and it came with a Borealis rubber strap. I had to remove it and much prefer wearing my Tuna on a Nato strap.

Master
    Any 300m Tuna works very well with

- nato straps
    - Bonetto Cinturini rubber nato straps
    - Bonetto Cinturini 284 rubber strap

and of course Isofranes ;-)

Journeyman
    I also prefer wearing it on variable nato straps but ISO, although pricey, is the perfect fit.
    Had some Obris and Borealis iso-like rubber and they are not even close to the original.
    Bonetto 284 looks great, that I haven't tried yet.

Poslano sa mog SM-A510F koristeći Tapatalk

This is mine on a Bonetto. Great strap, even in the summer. Just need another one as I just missed one today on SC. My 6309 needs a new strap

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I quite like that is it a decent quality strap and does it pick up lint?
    No lint so far but it's proper rubber, not silicone, so it shouldn't attract the fluff anyway.

Master
    The Bonetto 284 looks good but I'm looking for a genuine Seiko flat vent Z22/DAL1BP.

Does anyone know of a UK stockist for Seiko rubber straps (ideally not eBay as you here of so many copies purporting to be "genuine").

Cheers
    Neil

I’ve got an unused Seiko DALi 22mm rubber strap I took of a new SBBN 007 some years back.
    Always preferred the bracelet.
    Was planing to put it on SC one of these days when I dig it out.

Edit.
    Apologies it’s apparently a DALOAZ 22 rubber strap
    Last edited by Routers; 23rd January 2018 at 00:22.

The current Seiko strap on Prospex watches is almost identical to the strap that the Tuna came on originally. It's very high quality compared to any previous Seiko rubber straps, is a third the price of an Isofrane and wears more comfortably.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    The current Seiko strap on Prospex watches is almost identical to the strap that the Tuna came on originally. It's very high quality compared to any previous Seiko rubber straps, is a third the price of an Isofrane and wears more comfortably.
    I had the Seiko black rubber on the SBBN033 Tuna I just sold and I loved it I thought is was the nicest Seiko strap I have worn but the Tuna I just got which is also a recent model didn't have the original strap, I would like the same strap again do you know where I can get one and how much they are?

Thanks

I had the Seiko black rubber on the SBBN033 Tuna I just sold and I loved it I thought is was the nicest Seiko strap I have worn but the Tuna I just got which is also a recent model didn't have the original strap, I would like the same strap again do you know where I can get one and how much they are?

Thanks
    They are on ebay and amazon. Search for part No R02F011J. Cost about 30GBP

Pic from an Ozzie retailer;

http://www.mastersintime.com/au/en/s...-r02f011j0.htm
    Last edited by bedlam; 23rd January 2018 at 03:39.

Master
    They are on ebay and amazon. Search for part No R02F011J. Cost about 30GBP

Pic from an Ozzie retailer;

http://www.mastersintime.com/au/en/s...-r02f011j0.htm
    Wow thanks so much so this is the same strap that was on the Tuna 😊 Lovely strap that was 👍

Master
    Can any more competent (than me )person find me link for this on e-bay or Amazon ?
    Last edited by Dr.f; 23rd January 2018 at 10:07.

Master
    There are plenty on eBay for about £40 in the states - just search R02F011J
    There's also a member on watchseek in Ireland has one for €30

Master

Smile

Thanks,bought one from guy on watchuseek.

Last edited by Manxdiver; 31st January 2021 at 17:13.

Why do the new Seiko rubbers have a metal keeper? I find it can sometimes make a very comfortable strap irritating, if it moves round slightly and presses against my wrist.

A little lost with Seiko strap naming, thought tuna rubber and turtle rubber look the same but tuna is real rubber. My turtle strap picks up lots of lint, the tuna doesn’t. Can check the markings tomorrow.

Give these ago $25 for an ISO strap I have two myself the rubber is so soft

https://www.borealiswatch.com/store/...ches-p39772276

Master
    Thanks bazza I will have a look it's a shame it doesn't have the vanilla smell though 😥

They look like good straps

Thanks bazza I will have a look it's a shame it doesn't have the vanilla smell though 

They look like good straps
    They are good straps for the money.
    Unfortunately the keepers for the 22mm version are too big and does not hold the strap end so well, have heard that the 20mm (and 24?) are better in this regard.

Master
    I think I will order a Zuludiver Bonetto Cinturini number 284 from watchgeko at £28 they seem great value and they seem to get good reviews 👍

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    I’m not generally a fan of NATO straps but the tuna sits really well on a Bonetto rubber version.
    Feeling inspired... just ordered a 328.

Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    They are good straps for the money.
    Unfortunately the keepers for the 22mm version are too big and does not hold the strap end so well, have heard that the 20mm (and 24?) are better in this regard.
    I would agree with this, very good for the money but the loose keepers on 22mm let them down a bit, it's almost the opposite of a real isofrane where it can be quite tough to feed/unfeed the strap through the keepers!

Isofrane, borealis iso, waffle or Hadley Roma cordura would be my choices.

A little lost with Seiko strap naming, thought tuna rubber and turtle rubber look the same but tuna is real rubber. My turtle strap picks up lots of lint, the tuna doesn’t. Can check the markings tomorrow
    The Rubber that comes on the newer Tunas is silicone. That's what's on my SBBN033. When new it has a very slick, smooth, dark grey coloured surface coating that stops lint sticking to it. This wears off and lint does start to stick to it - what I will say though is that even though mine now does attract lint, it's only a fraction of what other silicone straps have in the past. Maybe it's a slightly different silicone blend proprietary to Seiko, who knows.

I find the answer to those so incredibly vexing lint issues is to use the straps as was intended. Crazy thought, I know.

Craftsman
    Bonetto Cinturini 284/285 are really comfortable straps, although the wife hates the vanilla smell when I wear one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by firefoxed View Post
    Bonetto Cinturini 284/285 are really comfortable straps, although the wife hates the vanilla smell when I wear one.
    I love the smell of vanilla 👍

I think I will order a Zuludiver Bonetto Cinturini number 284 from watchgeko at £28 they seem great value and they seem to get good reviews 
    I can't comment on the 284 Andy, but last year I bought a grey Bonetto Cinturini 281 from Watch Gecko to put on my Certina DS Action Titanium diver and it was truly awful. Thin, hard, plasticky and uncomfortable. My wife hardly ever notices anything about the watches I wear, but even she was moved to ask why on earth I'd put a nice watch on "that horrible cheap plastic thing". Truthfully I had to agree with her...

I love rubber straps and currently have 4 of my watches on rubber - but there's rubber and rubber in my opinion. I'm on record here as saying that the original Seiko Z flat vent rubber strap is fiendishly uncomfortable - the idea that you have to boil it to make it bearable seems bizarre to me! When I bought a Baby Tuna from Creation last year it came on a Z - I immediately took it off, sold it on SC and bought a black ISOfrane. They are absolutely fabulous and worth the money. Although the Tuna's no longer with me, I still have my PADI Turtle on a blue ISOfrane and it both looks and feels great. Gratuitous photo...

Personally I think ISOfranes are worth the money. I can't comment on the Borealis clones as I've never tried one.

I do like the look of that waffle, though.

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 25th January 2018 at 09:14.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Personally I think ISOfranes are worth the money.
    Not any more. The Borealis strap is 99% as good at a quarter of the price.

Master
    I only usually consider Seiko dive straps for my Seiko dive watches however a recent purchase arrived wearing one Eddie's retro straps (£15 I believe). Thought I'd be changing it straight away for a Z22 but it so soft , pliable and comfortable that its staying put for the foreseeable.

Cheers
    Neil

Not any more. The Borealis strap is 99% as good at a quarter of the price.
    That’s interesting. Has anyone done a back-to-back comparison of the two? It would be good to find a viable alternative to ISOfrane at a more accessible price...

Simon

That’s interesting. Has anyone done a back-to-back comparison of the two? It would be good to find a viable alternative to ISOfrane at a more accessible price...
    I've dived both of them on multiple watches. They are essentially identical except the buckle on the ISO is nicer, whereas the keepers on the Borealis are easier to use. Not an awful lot in it...and then you look at the price difference. A no brainer.

I’ve had an isofrane on my U1, have the newer ‘silicone’ stock rubber strap on a seiko SUN gmt diver, and have owned a few bonetto cinturini for seiko divers in the past, and imho they are all soft, easy to wear straps - and I’ve never noticed any attracting lint. A world away from the hard plastic seiko straps I remember from skx007’s and monsters. If you prefer isofrane that’s fine - but there are very good and much cheaper alternatives. Not sure an iso will take seiko fat springbars though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Hi Simon not what I wanted to hear as the 284 strap is on its way to me now :)
    With the Isofrane I just don't like all the gaps in it plus on my slim wrist it might look weird as it is a thick strap isn't it!

I can't comment on the 284 Andy, but last year I bought a grey Bonetto Cinturini 281 from Watch Gecko to put on my Certina DS Action Titanium diver and it was truly awful. Thin, hard, plasticky and uncomfortable. My wife hardly ever notices anything about the watches I wear, but even she was moved to ask why on earth I'd put a nice watch on "that horrible cheap plastic thing". Truthfully I had to agree with her...

I love rubber straps and currently have 4 of my watches on rubber - but there's rubber and rubber in my opinion. I'm on record here as saying that the original Seiko Z flat vent rubber strap is fiendishly uncomfortable - the idea that you have to boil it to make it bearable seems bizarre to me! When I bought a Baby Tuna from Creation last year it came on a Z - I immediately took it off, sold it on SC and bought a black ISOfrane. They are absolutely fabulous and worth the money. Although the Tuna's no longer with me, I still have my PADI Turtle on a blue ISOfrane and it both looks and feels great. Gratuitous photo...

Personally I think ISOfranes are worth the money. I can't comment on the Borealis clones as I've never tried one.

I do like the look of that waffle, though.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Not sure an iso will take seiko fat springbars though?
    They do.
    It helps to add some lubrication. (Don’t go there! )

Master
    I think I will order a Zuludiver Bonetto Cinturini number 284 from watchgeko at £28 they seem great value and they seem to get good reviews 
    Will be very interested to know what you think of the 284 Andy , they do look really nice and they do black and blue which interests me.

Just on a whim I ordered a Zuludiver 22mm PU in dark blue for my 7548. Wasn't expecting too much for £10 delivered next day for Amazon Prime. Would have preferred a flat vent but I really like it and although initially I thought it might be uncomfortable its quite the opposite.

Cheers
    Neil