closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Potential buyer asking for serial number - Rolex

Potential buyer asking for serial number - Rolex

Is it safe for me to give out the serial number on the rolex I am selling to someone who says they want to check if its in any "databases"? Is that something someone can do? I cant find anywhere online where I can type it in and check? Could they use my serial number for something criminal?

Did you buy the watch new, and do you have proof of purchase? If so, I wouldn’t worry. I have routinely asked for serials in the past, where these would identify the year of manufacture etc.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    You can call Rolex and give them the serial number to check if it’s on their lost or stolen register, but they will only tell you if you actually have the Watch in your possession

Quote Originally Posted by boundary546 View Post
    You can call Rolex and give them the serial number to check if it’s on their lost or stolen register, but they will only tell you if you actually have the Watch in your possession
    If you're calling them, how do they know that you actually have it in your hand? Are there other unique markings to specific serial numbers etc.?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by boundary546 View Post

Individuals haven't been able to do this for several years. Only ADs, the police and, possibly, accredited repairers can check the register.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    Just googling the serial number allows a buyer to see if there are any hits regarding fakes.. they tend to use the same number.
    They used to use the same numbers. Not any more!

I'm sure someone posted something about this recently....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RickS View Post
    Individuals haven't been able to do this for several years. Only ADs, the police and, possibly, accredited repairers can check the register.
    There is a way... Last time I've bought a second hand Rolex I went to RSC with the seller and asked about the service history. They informed us that in this case if the watch is reported lost or stolen, they'd have to withhold it, the seller agreed and we got the requested information. Of course it's better if you go there with the intention of leaving the watch there for a service.

No worries if it helps put the buyers mind at ease. As others have said maybe to identify year too.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app