closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Solar - Lifespan?

Craftsman

Seiko Solar - Lifespan?

I've become incredibly attached to my Seiko SSC021 which I bought just coming up to three years ago. It really is my 'go to' watch, I use it for knocking around in, I swim in it most days and it has stood up really well; incredible value. I like Seiko as a brand more and more.

I'm curious though if anyone had any experience of the lifespan of the Solar piece, if it is repairable or elements replaceable when the time comes..

Cheers,
    R

Master
    Generally about the same as a kinetic, I think the early Solar Seiko watches average about 8 years.

I had one of the Solar Chronographs which ate two capacitors in as many years though, given that Seiko have only fairly recently jumped back into Solar watches they aren't as reliable as Citizen, who do virtually nothing but eco-drive.

Changing the cell is very easy though, they cost £10-£15 each and it's just like changing a battery. Kinetic watches are a bit more fiddly and need an expert or a competent "tinkerer".

Master
    Can someone definitively confirm or deny the claim that keeping the solar cell fully charged ensures its longest life??

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Generally about the same as a kinetic, I think the early Solar Seiko watches average about 8 years.

I had one of the Solar Chronographs which ate two capacitors in as many years though, given that Seiko have only fairly recently jumped back into Solar watches they aren't as reliable as Citizen, who do virtually nothing but eco-drive.

Changing the cell is very easy though, they cost £10-£15 each and it's just like changing a battery. Kinetic watches are a bit more fiddly and need an expert or a competent "tinkerer".
    Thanks for that, that's really helpful

Master
    I have the same watch, it feels like it'll last forever. Amazing watch for the price

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    I have the same watch, it feels like it'll last forever..
    Oddly, it does feel that way, despite being thoroughly knocked about. Which in a funny way thinking along those lines sort of prompted me to post the thread to how long it would perhaps last. If that makes sense.

Master
    After a quick Google, my "two cells in two years" watch was the same one as the OP... and it doesn't seem to be an unusual event either. :(
    Just remember PLEEEEASE don't go through Seiko for the repair, they class it as a service charge and its just one side of the £100 mark (used to be £96, these days I believe it's closer to £110).

The capacitor for these is on "cousin's" for under a tenner, if you can't fit it then I guarantee you know someone who can ( Just pay the postage to me and back). ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    After a quick Google, my "two cells in two years" watch was the same one as the OP... and it doesn't seem to be an unusual event either. :(
    Just remember PLEEEEASE don't go through Seiko for the repair, they class it as a service charge and its just one side of the £100 mark (used to be £96, these days I believe it's closer to £110).

The capacitor for these is on "cousin's" for under a tenner, if you can't fit it then I guarantee you know someone who can ( Just pay the postage to me and back). ;)
    So much for the feeling of lasting forever then (seeks wood for immediate touching of).

That's banked in the memory for the hopefully distant future!

I had a Seiko Solar Chronograph. It lasted only a few years before the 'battery' would barely hold a charge. I no longer fancied wearing it after this so sold it on SC as 'spares or repair'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Can someone definitively confirm or deny the claim that keeping the solar cell fully charged ensures its longest life??

Not definitively, but my solar g-shock lives on the windowsill- it is 12 years old and is showing no signs of failing yet

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    I had a Seiko Solar Chronograph. It lasted only a few years before the 'battery' would barely hold a charge. I no longer fancied wearing it after this so sold it on SC as 'spares or repair'.
    I would have thought they had addressed the problem of failing cells by now, I remember the early kinetics had bad capacitors fitted that failed pretty quickly. Poor show Seiko