closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai goes dainty with the 38mm PAM 755

Panerai goes dainty with the 38mm PAM 755

Anyone else keen on one of these after their release at SIHH 2018?

Having long lusted after a Luminor of some description, but not having hefty wrists has basically meant I've only been able to oggle from afar. There are a couple of 40mm options, but the lug to lug of 48mm and inevitable 'wears large' of the dominating dial has meant I've avoided them.

These new releases in the 38mm Due line (albeit only the steel 755 for my tastes) are a bit of a game changer for my wrist. The strap will be going right away though, not only due to the sizing being for fairer wrists, but primarily the colour...

http://www.panerai.com/en/collection..._pam00755.html

Also comes in steel and white dial as the 903:

and two in rose gold, being the 756 and 908.

Are these not 'real' Panerai's to the PAM fans due to the reduced size and Due's standard low water resistance, or might these be more popular among non-Paneraistis precisely because of their more dainty proportions?
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 22nd January 2018 at 02:37.

Master
    Looking at the photos, I’d say their target market is female.

Fashionably large, extremely classy ladies' watches.

Why not to try one of these once they become available and see how it goes? I quite like the YG one with dark sandwich dial (should I be worried?), can only imagine what it will look like after a couple of weeks of 'normal' wear if used by the suggested target audience
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Not a brand I pay any particular attention to, but if I was looking out for one it’d have to be manual movement and sans date. That’s just my preference though and I’m not taking a pop at the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Anyone else keen on one of these after their release at SIHH 2018?

Having long lusted after a Luminor of some description, but not having hefty wrists has basically meant I've only been able to oggle from afar. There are a couple of 40mm options, but the lug to lug of 48mm and inevitable 'wears large' of the dominating dial has meant I've avoided them.

These new releases in the 38mm Due line (albeit only the steel 755 for my tastes) are a bit of a game changer for my wrist. The strap will be going right away though, not only due to the sizing being for fairer wrists, but primarily the colour...

http://www.panerai.com/en/collection..._pam00755.html

Also comes in steel and white dial as the 903:

Are these not 'real' Panerai's to the PAM fans due to the reduced size and Due's standard low water resistance, or might these be more popular among non-Paneraistis precisely because of their more dainty proportions?
    Those two look lovely, love the look and design of them but up until now, all have been far too big for my wrists.

I like them, but the date window looks really recessed in a lot of the pictures I've seen, permanently in shadow.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Has to be a good move. Lots of people just can't wear the big ones.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Looking at the photos, I’d say their target market is female.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Fashionably large, extremely classy ladies' watches.
    Oh, almost certainly intended for that, but I see nothing about the watch head itself that screams it, just the strap that suggests it.

Apparently the straps are very short (some journalists with not tiny wrists tried them at SIHH and had to use the last buckle hole) but a strap change would sort that out. Mint green doesn't really work for me either!

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Not a brand I pay any particular attention to, but if I was looking out for one it’d have to be manual movement and sans date. That’s just my preference though and I’m not taking a pop at the brand.
    I understand entirely. Certainly more Panerai if manual and no date to me too.

But I do find the date useful function.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I like them, but the date window looks really recessed in a lot of the pictures I've seen, permanently in shadow.

Hadn't thought about that, I was just pleased they hadn't whacked a cyclops on like they do on some of the larger models!

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Why not to try one of these once they become available and see how it goes? I quite like the YG one with dark sandwich dial (should I be worried?), can only imagine what it will look like after a couple of weeks of 'normal' wear if used by the suggested target audience
    I intend to, but I have a feeling the initial pricing is quite ambitious - I want to say 6/7k for the steel is what I read but can't find it to quote just now.

Edit: yup, 6k USD for the steel
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 22nd January 2018 at 14:41.

This is a good move from Panerai. Just shows that listening to a part of the market. I’m not saying that Panerai fans are screaming out for 38mm version but the market in general are starting to go back to more traditional kind of sizes?
    This 38mm should wear bigger due to case design imho.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Is there any significance to the script on the dial? I had thought that panerai used the "marina" nomenclature on a luminor with a small seconds hand? Or is this another Mandela effect moment?

Master
    Applause for the new size, would happily wear the first two (first one with a strap change of course). 6 or 7k though? Really?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The sizing down is a good move but I can't get past the snap caseback and 30m wr.
    I think they've cheaped out and for the price tag it's inexcusable.
    If they fix that then the dues would be interesting.

Found the price on Hodinkee: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pa...-38mm-hands-on

6k USD for the steel and 15.3k USD for the gold.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    ... I can't get past the snap caseback and 30m wr.
    Wow! That puts it in the same category as the Patek Twenty-4 for me.

Craftsman
    I like the white/silver dial one very much. £6000+ though is way beyond my resources . Just have to settle for the Smiths which is also 38mm and has a cushion case and has a kind of Radiomir vibe to it which is not such a bad thing ........

Quote Originally Posted by silver centurian View Post
    I like the white/silver dial one very much. £6000+ though is way beyond my resources . Just have to settle for the Smiths which is also 38mm and has a cushion case and has a kind of Radiomir vibe to it which is not such a bad thing ........
    Agreed - that PRS-36 (I see it's labelled as both a PRS-35 and PRS-36 on the website?) a very nice piece. My issue with the Precista Italian line is that they are, to me, far too much of a Panerai-alike piece (I imagine that was the intent), whereas the Smiths you have has its own look

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    The sizing down is a good move but I can't get past the snap caseback and 30m wr.
    I think they've cheaped out and for the price tag it's inexcusable.
    If they fix that then the dues would be interesting.
    Hit the nail on the head. It's not exactly beyond the realms of possibility to make a 100m wr watch at 38mm so the logical explanation is they were just trying to save on the costs.

Master
    The lack of WR is an insult. Sell out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
    Hit the nail on the head. It's not exactly beyond the realms of possibility to make a 100m wr watch at 38mm so the logical explanation is they were just trying to save on the costs.
    It's not just the 38mm one, it's all of the Due line no? Wide range of sizes. I think they put that down to the thickness being reduced.

E.g. this 45mm one also at 30m resistance: https://www.montredo.com/en/panerai-...iABEgI4IvD_BwE

Master
    It is, IMHO, an aspect of the range. It seems to be aimed at a more dressy vibe than a sports one, so the lesser WR should not be an issue?
    I am a big PAM fan and I quite like the look of these, but 38mm would be too small for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    It is, IMHO, an aspect of the range. It seems to be aimed at a more dressy vibe than a sports one, so the lesser WR should not be an issue?
    I am a big PAM fan and I quite like the look of these, but 38mm would be too small for me.
    If I could carry off a larger watch, I'd be on that 44mm PAM 002 in the SC in a jiffy!

Regarding the WR, I agree. I wear a 16610 daily, so 300m water resistance. Has it been in water? No. So the PAM won't either.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    It's not just the 38mm one, it's all of the Due line no? Wide range of sizes. I think they put that down to the thickness being reduced.

E.g. this 45mm one also at 30m resistance: https://www.montredo.com/en/panerai-...iABEgI4IvD_BwE
    Oh. Well still, I'm not sure that's much better. All of the ladies datejusts are under 11mm I think and they seem to manage 100m.

Oh. Well still, I'm not sure that's much better. All of the ladies datejusts are under 11mm I think and they seem to manage 100m.
    I make no excuses for it! It would be interesting to know how much thickness those extra 70m of water resistance adds...and cost.

Master

Panerai goes dainty with the 38mm PAM 755

All ladies datejust are 100m and they go down to unfashionably small..just saying, and the Panerai DNA is dive watch.

Craftsman
    38mm just does not work for me and the lack of WR kills the watch.

For reference i've got the P049 40MM white dial that get's a lot of use because of the size & WR,

Master
    Just realised we made exactly the same point haha

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    All dues are 30m. And spring bars. And snap backs. All cost cutting.
    There are slimmer watches out there with higher WR. Nautilus for example.
    Particularly considering the crown guard is a (pointless on due) wr seal.

I agree that 30m WR, snap backs and spring bars all mitigate against the Panerai DNA... and 38mm seems all wrong somehow. So I’m out...

Simon

Craftsman
    Even if it wasn't about the cost I would struggle to understand the logic of it.

The iconic Panerai design features are all to improve the watches performance as a diver (crown guards and oversized numerals etc).

Having those on a watch you can't get wet doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Like having a chronograph where the pushers didn't work.

A big mixed bag for this release!

Not surprising at all. It's almost the opposite of what they've built on - WR and large sizes.

Apprentice
    The crown guard and the WR are unacceptable. Even a Montblanc dress watch with a pull out crown has a higher WR. The snap back cases and springbars are just two more nails in the coffin.

6000 dollar not pounds ,that right

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    6000 dollar not pounds ,that right
    That's what's listed on Hodinkee.

I'm not a fan of the Due concept, in any sizing, at all.

I think these 38mm Luminors are a mistake.

The same style cues (dial colours etc.) in the 1940s case, reduced to 38mm, would have been more acceptable (to me, at least!).
    Last edited by jwg663; 22nd January 2018 at 17:38.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    38mm just does not work for me and the lack of WR kills the watch.

For reference i've got the P049 40MM white dial that get's a lot of use because of the size & WR,
    Me too.. a great watch IMHO.

Master
    This looks to be following a trend for introducing a smaller size and making it vaguely gender neutral. AP have done the same thing with their 37mm Royal Oak, which isn’t specified as male of female anywhere. It makes sense as they get to target two audiences, and as the recent wrist size poll showed, larger models exclude about 40% of potential male customers. For me this is a good development, but in the case of the RO I’d rather they’d made a 38mm mid size men’s watch that’s the same as the others, rather than something unisex with shiny dial options. Much the same applies here, a more typical one but smaller would probably be more popular with men.

Richemont have been instilling a new strategy of 'shared movements' within the Group. The reason is to lower costs further of course while maintaining 'value'.

Unfortunately all I see is quality levels cheapening. Snap cases, 30m water resistance (more glaring on the 44mm PAMS) and a watch that to my eyes doesn't look as robust.

These 38mm watches look odd. The crown guard looks way too big. Also I do not believe the luminor style suits smaller than 42mm. The short lugs and guard doesn't work IMO.

Personally think Panerai are going downhill. With the old chief Bonatti on his way to retirement we are already seeing a different brand.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yeah. Integrated bezels on the new base models are another crappy idea. Ding the bezel replace the case. Don't think so. Older stuff seems to be the way forward which is a shame because I really like them.