closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: YouTube Watch Channels

Craftsman

YouTube Watch Channels

What are people's favourites? I subscribe to Paul Pluta and TGV but would be interested in adding one.

Craftsman
    Theo and Harris is a good one

Master
    Check out Watch Hobbyist
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWM...rKiFwfxIyQhUuQ
    It's Wayne aka W44NNE from this manor

Watchfinder channel is good
    https://www.youtube.com/user/watchfinder

I wouldn't watch TGV or Pluta or whatever he calls himself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandandanman View Post
    Theo and Harris is a good one
    I find him difficult to watch personally. Watchfinder to cracking videos. Tgv is pretty good and I don’t mind crown and callibre or Federico talks watches.

Master
    Hodinkee? I like their talking watches episodes.. interesting to hear why people like certain watches in their collection..like a visual SOTC here..

Sent from my Huawei Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Watch box is good to for heads up for new release

Some can be very repetitive. Turning 3 min of information into 12 min video. I struggle to watch a complete one.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

TGV is my favourite, funny I’ve been thinking about doing this myself to free up some spare time.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I like the Watch Art Sci channel...

Good mix of information and nice watches without too much hyperbole.

I'm still looking for a good technical channel (rather than a marketing/collector led one) if anyone has any recommendations?

I enjoy https://www.watchestv.com .

The presenter grew on me after a while, he is a both enthusiastic and well informed on the industry. The subjects definitely have a strong 'behind the scenes' technical component, but still easy to watch and contemporary in feel.

Master
    Can anyone recommend a channel that shows basic maintenance etc like battery changes, remove/replace movements etc?

I find several videos informative but just way too long when it can be readily condensed.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jlynch1984 View Post
    What are people's favourites? I subscribe to Paul Pluta and TGV but would be interested in adding one.
    Bruce Williams always has interesting content and IMO is among the best of the watch related channels for many reasons
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaR...ne0HEEvwc2b3pw

Archie and TGV wouldn't even be on ze list - if there was a list. Can't stand either. Both grate on the nerves, and that's being generous.

You may like Watch Talk With Anu. Nothing too technical, but pleasing to the eye:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUz...yQBCnXA/videos
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Tim Mossa on Watchbox is streets ahead of the competition. He is the most well-informed commentator in the business. Real class in a weak field. His level of knowledge is awesome, and, working for Govberg, he has access to a stunning variety of watches.
    It's there to promote Govberg's interests, but he is pretty straight talking. Although he loves and worships JLC.
    Last edited by paskinner; 22nd January 2018 at 12:49.

Personally I like the Urban Gentry. TGV gets some flack but I think he's a pretty genuine enthusiast, and he never claims to have expert knowledge. His enthusiasm is infectious and he seems like a nice guy.

On top of that I also like the way he reviews luxury items like the Submariner right down to £10 watches like the F-91W. He's certainly not a watch snob or too focused on high end products like some channels, which I think is why his channel has such broad appeal. It certainly seems to appeal to those just getting into watches as a hobby. He's also done episodes fosucing on other things like chess sets, pens, wine, coffee and every day carry that I've enjoyed and that also gives a bit of variety. I noticed in one episode that he owns the Air Arms TX200, would be cool if he did a review of that.

Plus, Urban Gentry is streets ahead of the competition production wise. Archie is a complete prick, and Theo & Harris while good I think has a heavy focus on vintage luxury watches - which is interesting for an occasional episode but not to watch regularly for me as its not my bag or anything I'm ever likely to be purchasing. There are others I've dipped in and out of with some decent blokes (Scotsman in Australia who likes Casio, can't recall the name but he's good) and interesting opinions, but generally UG is my go to.

Master
    Federico Talks Watches (unsubbed TGV after he shafted Federico)
    Hodinkee, mostly for the lovely Cara
    wornandwound
    Archie Luxury. His ranting about 'shitters' never gets old and his 'what does your watch say about you' series has never been bettered
    Last edited by J J Carter; 22nd January 2018 at 21:58.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    wornandwound
    Archie Luxury. His ranting about 'shitters' never gets old and his 'what does your watch say about you' series has never been bettered
    Ha, yeah I heard about some beef between TGV and Federico. All seems a bit schoolgirl to me, what was it all about?

None really. Too many self proclaimed experts and pontiffs. Most of the content they post I can easily find in a Google search. Besides I can think for myself, no need for YouTube stars to preach and tell me what I already know.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Ha, yeah I heard about some beef between TGV and Federico. All seems a bit schoolgirl to me, what was it all about?
    Elementary school backyard drama and power struggles. Best left to children 10 and under.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    wornandwound
    Hodinkee is OK mostly because of Cara. But she is recently married...

YouTube Watch Channels

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Tim Mossa on Watchbox is streets ahead of the competition. He is the most well-informed commentator in the business. Real class in a weak field. His level of knowledge is awesome, and, working for Govberg, he has access to a stunning variety of watches.
    It's there to promote Govberg's interests, but he is pretty straight talking. Although he loves and worships JLC.
    Mosso is OK. He is your typical car salesman and he is the kind of guy that could sell you a piece of used chew gum.

He does speak very well in camera and this is something he has a clear talent for.

I am surprised he didn’t go into broadcasting.

He needs to layoff the douchey looking sunglasses in the head however.

I believe the man is also retained and paid for by some brands.
    Last edited by Lostintime; 22nd January 2018 at 22:39.

WatchArtSci is a new channel and the chap seems knowledgeable and respectable.

Master
    The strength of Tim Mosso is the astonishing depth of knowledge. The guy is a walking encyclopaedia on literally hundreds of watches; I've never come across anyone else with a fraction of the knowledge. He must spend most of his waking hours studying the subject.
    In comparison, guys like TGV and Archie don't seem to know any more than quite a few people on this forum. At least , as far as I can tell.
    I doubt much money can be made talking about watches on You Tube; which will be why the general standard is low. But I still watch!

YouTube Watch Channels

Mosso is definitely an enthusiast but he is also a very good salesman.

I’d like to see him imparting a bit more critique on the pieces he reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The strength of Tim Mosso is the astonishing depth of knowledge. The guy is a walking encyclopaedia on literally hundreds of watches; I've never come across anyone else with a fraction of the knowledge. He must spend most of his waking hours studying the subject.
    In comparison, guys like TGV and Archie don't seem to know any more than quite a few people on this forum. At least , as far as I can tell.
    I doubt much money can be made talking about watches on You Tube; which will be why the general standard is low. But I still watch!
    Probably not - but TGV now has a website with a shop, some of his own products like straps and that Squale thing he did. Doubt you could make retirement money out of it, but I suspect he's trying to grow his brand enough for his hobby to become his living.

Craftsman
    WatchArtSci - I'm a big fan of Bill and was an early member of his Facebook group when he branched away from MDWE. A genuine enthusiast for High Horology pieces and is even doing some pretty interesting things recently with tearing apart watches as a beginner. It makes for a good drinking game every time he murders the pronunciation of a watch brand though.

Watchbox - Have been watching these for years and still the best videos for up to date news. Tim's shows on Monday's and Fridays are great. The rest of the shows during the week are like QVC - the presenters would look more comfortable being rogered with a cactus.

HODINKEE - Standard issue, not sure what the fascination with Cara is though? Good content, but Stephen erm, er, erm Pulruvilant drives me mad too.

Federico - Genuinely nice guy it seems, and somehow manages to keep my attention despite his videos often being along the same content - "Top 5 watches for $X" kind of stuff. Especially like that he has eclectic taste and puts brands like Girard Perregaux and Piaget in some spotlight that is well deserved, rather than going for the obvious stuff that others are guilty of.

Armand the watch guy - Comes across as someone on this forum giving it a go themselves, and kudos on him for doing so. A lot of the shows are static photos which is a bit of a shame, but otherwise some interesting views.

I pretty much spend all my time on YouTube watching this stuff. Really should get some studying some done!

Worth a note that I started out watching TGV and graduated away as my knowledge grew. He seems like a bit of a rat frankly - this business with Federico and Christian (Theo and Harris), along with the Pontiff, was all rather distasteful and I think he genuinely is in it for the cold hard cash. Anyone on here bought a "TGV Squale Lionshark" yet? Christ I hope not...