closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BitchIn' Rides

BitchIn' Rides

Aka Kindig Designs, based in Utah. On Discovery. A car modding place a league better than Gas Monkey Garage. They do some superb work, without stupid three-week time schedules. Some of them take two years; you can watch the seasons pass with each take/section/progress report. No financial limit; some of their cars must cost an easy $250k.
    Their mechanics are real engineers/fabricators, qualified.

Stupid programme name since they changed it, but it's still highly recommended.

Craftsman

BitchIn' Rides

Very talented people, did you see the huge GM futurline bus that they restored

It actually appeared in an episode of GMG in the background at pebble beech, I would love to know the cost of that but I’m guessing many many Richard Mille’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Yep, there was an episode on Dutch Discovery last night. A 5000 hr job according to Mr Kindig himself. Let's say their hour rate is $ 50.00... (it's more I think). Kindig is shown here 'back to back' with Gas Monkey. What's also interesting is the fact that the Kindig crew looks like they're a pleasant bunch to work with; I doubt if that's the same at Gas Monkey's...

Kaufman left the shop for the surreal time limits. From a more professional point of view, I can tell you that some intricate builds cannot be done within three weeks. Two options left: cutting corners or the timeline is more stretched out than is shown on TV. It looks as if Kindig hasn't fallen for that. (And the Fairlane is really a beautiful car!)

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 21st January 2018 at 19:25.

I did take issue when they (and other losers, it has to be said) take a sound '40s car that could be restored, or even done as a retro mod, and turn it into something, chopped to bits so there was no point in using an original car to start with.
    Gas Monkey took a $125k De Tomaso Pantera, excellent outward condition, and totally buggered it up (in my view). The new owner liked it. No taste.

Do we do that sort of work over here?

I quite like Gas Monkey, it’s got very staged recently though. The F40 they butchered was a shame though, at least it got it back on the road but should have kept it standard.
    Bitchin Rides is great too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I did take issue when they (and other losers, it has to be said) take a sound '40s car that could be restored, or even done as a retro mod, and turn it into something, chopped to bits so there was no point in using an original car to start with.
    Gas Monkey took a $125k De Tomaso Pantera, excellent outward condition, and totally buggered it up (in my view). The new owner liked it. No taste.

According to sources on the internet, the Pantera was the watershed for Kaufman. Messing up a proper car is a sad thing. For me the GM LS engine in the Porsche was a bridge too far. I love the looks after they'd finished the job, but the engine... Ferd. Porsche always stated that one should tinker with his cars. (Think Outlaws, R-Gruppe and Magnus Walker's jobs). But this...

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    According to sources on the internet, the Pantera was the watershed for Kaufman. Messing up a proper car is a sad thing. For me the GM LS engine in the Porsche was a bridge too far. I love the looks after they'd finished the job, but the engine... Ferd. Porsche always stated that one should tinker with his cars. (Think Outlaws, R-Gruppe and Magnus Walker's jobs). But this...

M
    A guy in Brum puts LS engines in all sorts of cars
    http://www.dynotorque.co.uk/index.ph.../11/911-build/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I quite like Gas Monkey, it’s got very staged recently though. The F40 they butchered was a shame though, at least it got it back on the road but should have kept it standard.
    Bitchin Rides is great too.
    I remember that one, all that messing about to get original ferrari parts and it ended up like a hotwheels toy anyway...

Didn't they sell it to Richards pal in the end, the one who part financed it?? Haha what a waste of a build.

I had ignored bitchin rides because of the name. Might have to give it a go now. Cheers.

Master
    There was a program on Dave earlier called “Yianni: Supercar Customiser”. The client in question was a cast member of Geordie Shore and it involved wrapping a perfectly nice RR Velar in gold flake wrap, classy it was not.
    Last edited by Mr_Mac; 21st January 2018 at 22:51.

Bitchin Rides produce some phenomenal cars. Their engine bays are what always astound me.
    Dave Kindig is fortunate to have some highly skilled fabricators.

If you get a chance I’d recommend Iron Resurrection (Martin Bro Customs), IMO these guys are the best and the ‘truest’ fabricators, their passion is way above all the other shows..

Love Bitchin’ Rides btw.

Master
    So Kindig Customs and Bitchin Rides are the same show/crew?
    I often watch Kindig Customs but I’ve never tuned in for Bitchin Rides.

Thanks for the tip. Started watching yesterday.

i must say they do nice work, but would love to get a better idea of the costs.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Started watching yesterday.

i must say they do nice work, but would love to get a better idea of the costs.
    Some cars are offered for sale on the Kindig website. And some have a price tag... $150,000 or more.

Menno

Some cars are offered for sale on the Kindig website. And some have a price tag... $150,000 or more.

Menno

Wow, that's getting into Singer territory and I know what I would rather.

Another rather good show is Fantomworks. Nice straightforward stuff and nice results. Today they prep'ed a 56 Olds for the Mille Migilia and a Triumph Spitfire (no idea why!!)

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

All very nice but I prefer to roll in my 5.0 with the rag top down so my hair can blow.

Blog Entries
    Phantomworks look to be an A1 company as well, turning out some nice cars. What's especially nice: at the end, the hand over the bill with the total costs. These bills appear to be realistic, I think. And they are not doing 'cut and shut' jobs according to the days counting in every scene.

A few years back there was a program about a Canadian restorer. Something like The Guild of Automotive Restorers'. They did a splendid job on the reincarnation of a Bugatti 57 Aerolithe. But somehow, the owner was not a sympathetic guy in eyes. There has to be a connection between customer and builder. Most people who enter the shop are handing over their pride and joy - and have expectations, dreams. It's not only about craftsmanship, it's also about a relationship between the customer and the shop. Chip Foose, Kindig and Boyd Coddington in the past, look(ed) like people you can trust with your dreams.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    All very nice but I prefer to roll in my 5.0 with the rag top down so my hair can blow.
    Ashamed to say I loved that record, knew all the words ( to your mother )
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Ashamed to say I loved that record, knew all the words ( to your mother )
    👊🏻

Phantomworks look to be an A1 company as well, turning out some nice cars. What's especially nice: at the end, the hand over the bill with the total costs. These bills appear to be realistic, I think. And they are not doing 'cut and shut' jobs according to the days counting in every scene.

A few years back there was a program about a Canadian restorer. Something like The Guild of Automotive Restorers'. They did a splendid job on the reincarnation of a Bugatti 57 Aerolithe. But somehow, the owner was not a sympathetic guy in eyes. There has to be a connection between customer and builder. Most people who enter the shop are handing over their pride and joy - and have expectations, dreams. It's not only about craftsmanship, it's also about a relationship between the customer and the shop. Chip Foose, Kindig and Boyd Coddington in the past, look(ed) like people you can trust with your dreams.

Menno

I have heard a few things about Boyd which were less than complementary to be honest, but he did produce some nice rods. I just wish they did something similar in the UK. Shame the likes of Nick Butler hung up his spanners (about 25 years ago)😀

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    One called goblin garage on now. They lowered an old Land Rover, put some tiny alloy seats in it made it look f**** stupid.
    Then Freddie spencer supposedly asked them to build him a bike! Obviously made up for the TV show.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post

Yes. See here for one such example - https://www.questtv.co.uk/goblin-works

There's no denying that they have skills, but slamming on the ground an early Landrover that appeared to be fairly tidy was just wrong.

Edit - as per Karl's post above!
    Last edited by Tahiti; 26th January 2018 at 20:21.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    There was a program on Dave earlier called “Yianni: Supercar Customiser”. The client in question was a cast member of Geordie Shore and it involved wrapping a perfectly nice RR Velar in gold flake wrap, classy it was not.
    Yianni himself was wearing a Daytona if my eyes didn't deceive me. I wonder if he's a member here?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I have heard a few things about Boyd which were less than complementary to be honest, but he did produce some nice rods. I just wish they did something similar in the UK. Shame the likes of Nick Butler hung up his spanners (about 25 years ago)
    Yes I think I have too, but it was a few years ago

There’s been a couple of UK programmes, I think 1was called Chop Shop with the bald fella that keeps popping up in various reality TV motoring programmes along with a guy call Leepu who was actually quite talented if a a little over excitable, I seem to remember them doing a car for David Ginola amongst others

Leepu also pitched up in an American program called Pitbul and Leepu which was very contrived

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I watched an old Wheeler Dealers episode earlier this week; the one with the new chassis for the TVR. What amazes me that you can have a car with a different chassis# and the same plates. They more-or-less throw you in jail for that over here! You have to go to the Dutch version of the DVLA and proof that you've not been tampering with a stolen car! You can't hide that from Dutch MoT.

The same goes for the American shows. I remember a 55/56 T-Bird being 'restomodded' by Phantomworks with a Chevvy LS2 engine. Nothing fitted and they had to build a new chassis to lower the body on. No-one wonders if that has been done safely. Perhaps Ph.W. can do this, but not Joe Average with a garage next to his house building his own restomod! Even Ph.W. had their troubles: it took them a year (!!!) longer to finish the car! The old body wasn't square, they made measuring mistakes and their 3D engine and g'box mock-up was wrong.

In the end, the total costs were about $150K, but the owner only charged $100K because Ph.W. had made costly mistakes themselves. Honest to tell that on TV and it makes you wonder how others...

Menno

Watched a repeat of Car SOS where they did an early '70s Triumph Herald. Such a pretty car but the engine block on that needed iron stitching. What it really needed was a BMW Z engine and auto box (the MX5 never came with auto, I believe) with power steering, brakes and air ride. That would be fun! Oh, and air con.

Blog Entries
    BMW owns the Triumph brand (name). You can say it’s a logical upgrade!

The last two weeks have been taken up with what they claimed was a 1959 Lincoln Continental Convertible Mk III. They measured it at 23 feet, and it certainly was huge. All the specs I can find suggest it's not quite 18 foot.
    And that this model was a Mark IV. http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1959/1409930/continental_mark_iv_4-door_sedan.html

It took them two full years to hot rod it and I have to admit they didn't bugger it up. They took out the stock, 350bhp engine and added in a 12-cylinder 980bhp aluminium unit. It looked beautiful. Air ride and sensitive body mods.
    I don't understand the discrepancy in their description of the model.