closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex Bezels for GMT II - What can I get and where

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dommorton View Post
    Is this the case for UK supplied? I’ve read it’s only US market that were ID tagged this way.
    My U.K. watch was tagged like this.

Craftsman
    Has anyone out there seen a case marked LN? Exiztence has helpfully posted a link to a photo showing an example where this in not the case, but it would be good to get some further input/evidence. My hang tag is definitely marked 16710LN, but I'm not keen to remove the bracelet to check the engraving (SELs and no case holes mean this is not as straightforward as it could be). I've been planning a trip to Rolex St James, but would hate for it to be a wasted journey.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
    Has anyone out there seen a case marked LN? Exiztence has helpfully posted a link to a photo showing an example where this in not the case, but it would be good to get some further input/evidence. My hang tag is definitely marked 16710LN, but I'm not keen to remove the bracelet to check the engraving (SELs and no case holes mean this is not as straightforward as it could be). I've been planning a trip to Rolex St James, but would hate for it to be a wasted journey.
    I’d ring them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I’d ring them.
    I was wondering if they would be able to tell me over the phone if I supplied the serial no. Might give it a try.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=508231

I stand corrected, T means it does not have holes rather than it is SEL but bezel colour is not present in reference number stamped to case.

Craftsman
    Hmm ok. Was looking at a 2005 F serial watch which just has 16710 on the hang tag. It’s wearing a Pepsi now, but nothing to suggest if it was born that way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dommorton View Post
    Hmm ok. Was looking at a 2005 F serial watch which just has 16710 on the hang tag. It’s wearing a Pepsi now, but nothing to suggest if it was born that way.
    Same as mine! I do plan to get a Coke for mine to have an original insert.

You simply cannot beat a GMT for variability. I have two bracelets and five bezel inlays for mine, makes 10 different looks.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Sub insert fits GMT bezel? Do you have some photos? I would like to see how it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    Sub insert fits GMT bezel? Do you have some photos? I would like to see how it looks like.
    I don't think I have ever tried that combo, but the insert is 100% identical.

After taking it out yesterday, I ended up changing it over. What was a Pepsi on Jubilee yesterday is a Coke on Oyster today. Point proven.

Craftsman
    Coke on the Oyster for the win I say. That looks fabulous.

Craftsman
    Still on the look out for a nice 16710. Seems to be a bit of a minefield.

I've been offered a couple of watches today that are 16170LN. That apparently denoting it had a black bezel from new. Does that tend to detract from the desirability of these at all? Especially if now sporting a coke for example.
    Last edited by dommorton; 22nd March 2018 at 21:28.

It’s been said that RSC will only sell you a black insert if it’s an LN rather than either of the other two colours. As mine isn’t an LN, I can’t confirm this though.
    You’ll still be able to get a Pepsi or bike though, just not through official channels.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Fortunately I have a 16750, a 16753 and a 16700 - all with box papers and booklets. None of them show a 16760/16710 sporting a Pepsi insert. In fact the 16700 is known as "the last Pepsi".
    My 16710 has BLRO listed on its official paperwork. I'm not sure where you heard this, but it's 100% false.

Craftsman
    Have been looking at various examples online and this one caught my eye. It’s a SWISS only dial. Whilst that was only around for a year or so, does it make it more exclusive and therefore justify a higher asking price?

Also and the point of the post, I noticed the font used for 2’s seems to differ on the Bezel insert?

Ive seen examples with either font before, but to seemingly have both on the same insert?

Also I’ve noticed this on a few now, there is a gap between the lug and the end link. Is this usual or just a result of material having been removed in polishing?

Rolex Bezels for GMT II - What can I get and where

I think that the “Swiss” dial on that watch is a service replacement so check the serial number to be sure of the date of manufacture. Proper “Swiss” dials were only produced in 1998/99 so should be U or A series. I don’t think they’re worth any more than either the tritium or “Swiss made” models though.

The picture below is my “Swiss” dial; note the indices either side of the word are full length whereas on the one you’re looking at they are shorter.

The bracelet on mine fits far more snugly than that one too!

Last edited by Dave+63; 24th March 2018 at 09:46.

Craftsman
    Thank you.

Apparently it was sold in June 99 and was Rolex serviced in 2005. A serial.

Why would it be that service dials be marked ‘swiss’ only if they were only around for a limited period?

Just interested to learn and don’t want to end up buying something that isn’t quite what it is ticketed to be.

Apparently, and I’m no expert, there were two types of “Swiss” dials; those with luminova (rather than superluminova) fitted as standard to the 98/99 models and service replacement dials for older, tritium dialled models.

Some “Swiss” dials have longer indices next to the wording and some shorter indices. It’s thought that the differences could be to differentiate the two but I’ve not found any definitive answer to that.

Both my 98/99 watches have the longer indices.

Craftsman
    Could well be that it was a Swiss and it got a replacement dial at its first service then.

I’ll not be paying a premium for it then that’s for sure.

Finding a nice sharp and complete one of these for a fair price is trickier than I expected. Then I guess as in general they were bought to wear and as a result a lot of them have had a busy life, only to later be tarted up to take advantage of a boyant market.