closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Bezels for GMT II - What can I get and where

Craftsman

Rolex Bezels for GMT II - What can I get and where

Hi All,

my first post, but have been hovering and hoovering the info from this great site....And now it's time to elicit your help.

I am currently looking to purchase a Rolex GMT II 16710 late model and one in particular has come to my attention/price range. It has a black bezel and wondered whether it was possible to purchase a genuine Coke/Pepsi bezel from Rolex as a spare that I can change in and out. I am not yet sure which I prefer of the three variations, so just though if I could get all three, I would no doubt work this out in time!

I have noted somewhere on here that if you have the Black bezel, A Rolex dealer will not change it for one of the coloured ones, but if you have either the Pepsi or the Coke, then they will change for the other, but will keep the original...Unless you pay extra?

1) Can I change out the black bezel at will with a Rolex AD?
    2) If I were to purchase further real Rolex bezels (because an AD will not supply) - where should I look?

I live in London, so can visit any Rolex AD in town....Is there a good one that people use over others? I saw mention of one in St James?

Many thanks for any help

R.

The Coke (red/black) or all black inserts are correct for this watch. The Pepsi isn't as that was only fitted to the GMT master - not the GMT Master 2. It will however still fit.

As for getting them, you can try an AD, but I doubt they will supply unless its part of a service. Alternatively you can try websites like the Vintage Rolex Forum.

Be wary of places like eBay, as these inserts are faked. Genuine inserts are typically £100+

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    The Coke (red/black) or all black inserts are correct for this watch. The Pepsi isn't as that was only fitted to the GMT master - not the GMT Master 2.

thanks for the prompt reply Andy...

really confused at this...Have seen hundreds of GMT 2 16710 with Pepsi bezels....Are you saying that all these are not original??

Master
    I think that Andy may be confused, the gmt II 16710 was available with all three options.

Rolex ST James is their UK head office with a small service centre attached, they will change the bezel insert while you wait, not sure on the latest cost.

http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-...ref_16710.html
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 21st January 2018 at 18:41.

Craftsman
    Got my scratched pepsi replaced for £37 last month at Rolex St James. Non vintage watch so was happy to swap bezel.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I think that Andy may be confused, the gmt II 16710 was available with all three options.

Rolex ST James is their UK head office with a small service centre attached, they will change the bezel insert while you wait, not sure on the latest cost.

Phew, great thanks, thought I was going mad. I will start by giving them a call in the morning to check out whether they will let me buy a bezel or if I have to swap....or if I can't change colour because the original is black...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Phew, great thanks, thought I was going mad. I will start by giving them a call in the morning to check out whether they will let me buy a bezel or if I have to swap....or if I can't change colour because the original is black...
    As previously confirmed, Rolex in St James's Square will change the bezel while you wait. For c£37 you may exchange your black for any of the three variants. Or for just over £50 you buy outright the new bezel and retain your original. The exchange will take 10-15 mins once your watch is booked in.

Master
    You can change colour don’t worry about it, the cost will be higher than the other posters as he’s was exchange and I assume you will want to keep the current insert.

The 16710 came with all three bezel insert options so a trip to Rolex Service Centre in St James Square is your best option.

You can choose either the coke or Pepsi bezel insert for £37 or £55 if you want to keep the original.* I’m not sure whether they’ll supply both the coke and Pepsi in one visit though.

You’ll also get a tin to keep the spare insert in and confirmation that the watch is genuine and not stolen whilst you are there.

* The prices may have changed since I replaced my faded coke insert.

When I went to buy insert few weeks ago, I’ve been told Rolex is not too happy about people buying inserts and is trying to enforce replace only rules and RSC should keep the old insert to prevent genuine inserts makin their way to counterfeit watches. Luckily unlike with LV inserts it is not that strick and If you ask they might let you keep the old insert, just something to keep in mind.

Craftsman
    great, thanks everyone, will see how I get on and report back.

My 16750 insert (original)
    https://imgur.com/xt3BJRH

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    When I went to buy insert few weeks ago, I’ve been told Rolex is not too happy about people buying inserts and is trying to enforce replace only rules and RSC should keep the old insert to prevent genuine inserts makin their way to counterfeit watches. Luckily unlike with LV inserts it is not that strick and If you ask they might let you keep the old insert, just something to keep in mind.
    I was offered to keep my original insert at uplifted cost (£50ish) compared to the replacement (£37) without asking. Maybe it depends on the technician you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

Fortunately I have a 16750, a 16753 and a 16700 - all with box papers and booklets. None of them show a 16760/16710 sporting a Pepsi insert. In fact the 16700 is known as "the last Pepsi".

Now AD/Rolex might have fitted Pepsi's as special order or retro-fit, however the whole point of the Coke Insert was to differentiate the GMT 2 from its cheaper brother, hence why the option is not shown. However if you can find any actual Rolex data confirming that Pepsi inserts was an option on a GMT 2 then I will happily wind my neck in.

Until then I shall remain blissfully confused.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Fortunately I have a 16750, a 16753 and a 16700 - all with box papers and booklets. None of them show a 16760/16710 sporting a Pepsi insert. In fact the 16700 is known as "the last Pepsi".

Now AD/Rolex might have fitted Pepsi's as special order or retro-fit, however the whole point of the Coke Insert was to differentiate the GMT 2 from its cheaper brother, hence why the option is not shown. However if you can find any actual Rolex data confirming that Pepsi inserts was an option on a GMT 2 then I will happily wind my neck in.

Think you might need to start winding!! Picture from a 2004 Rolex Catalogue!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Sorry here Andy but the 16710 def was available with all 3 colour bezel inserts (black, red/black & red/blue) from Rolex when new.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by leefowler View Post
    Think you might need to start winding!! Picture from a 2004 Rolex Catalogue!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I think you might be confused over 16760 and 16710’s though it’s hard to fathom how owing earlier watches with boxes, papers and booklets would help...

Perhaps you could evidence “the last Pepsi” theory as this would seem to go against Lee’s catalogs excerpt and the information that appears online?

“The longest standing and best known model of vintage GMT Master is the 1675 which was introduced in 1959 and produced all the way through until 1980. Although the black bezel insert was introduced in 1972, it is the Pepsi insert that is best known on the 1675 and also on its later replacements, the 16750 and 16700.
    When the 16760 GMT Master II ‘Sofia Loren’ was released in 1984 it was only available with the black & red ‘Coke’ bezel insert. Presumably Rolex’ intention was to be able to differentiate between the GMT Master and GMT Master II as one had a Pepsi insert and the other a Coke insert.
    The Rolex buying public have always liked the Pepsi bezel though and they were considered in 1989 when a change in the GMT Master II line up saw the release of the new 16710. This model was immediately available with the Pepsi bezel insert again – an option which continued until the model was discontinued in 2007”
    https://www.oakleighwatches.co.uk/th...brief-history/

Craftsman

Must say I am blissfully confused how owning an earlier watch makes you qualified to deny future ones existing. My 16710 hangtag says BLRO

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    I was offered to keep my original insert at uplifted cost (£50ish) compared to the replacement (£37) without asking. Maybe it depends on the technician you get.

That's possible, I am located in Prague. The price for insert was ~45gbp, which was surprising considering that if you go on Rolexforum / eBay people ask for tripple for brand new sealed insert.

Neck is wound in

Friedrich Nietzsche

That's possible, I am located in Prague. The price for insert was ~45gbp, which was surprising considering that if you go on Rolexforum / eBay people ask for tripple for brand new sealed insert.
    Ive never understood how people on rolexforums and others offer inserts or end links for example for exorbitant prices when you can simply get them from Rolex themselves. I was after 501 endlinks and was offered a pair for £320! I ordered a pair from an AD instead for just over £100.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Ive never understood how people on rolexforums and others offer inserts or end links for example for exorbitant prices when you can simply get them from Rolex themselves. I was after 501 endlinks and was offered a pair for £320! I ordered a pair from an AD instead for just over £100.
    Rather difficult if you want period correct parts for your vintage watch though!

Quote Originally Posted by leefowler View Post
    Rather difficult if you want period correct parts for your vintage watch though!
    It's obvious that there will be premium for NOS period parts but some sellers try to charge premium even for currently available service inserts for instance.

Craftsman
    Just had a conversation with Rolex St James and although not entirely sure at the Sterling figures the following is what they said:

You can (Rolex) change the bezel from pepsi to coke or visa versa. You can also have either of the coloured versions if you have a black bezel to start with BUT...If the serial number on the edge of the watch at the 12 0'clock position (you have to take the strap off to see this) has the lettering "LN" after it, then NO, Rolex will not swap it from the black bezel to a coloured one - only to another black one. The LN signifies that this is a Lunette Noir (black) watch originally. Not all 16710 watches with black bezels have this lettering in the serial number, so a thing to check before you buy black and want to change to a colour with an original Rolex part.

There are two options for the swap:

1) straight swap will cost you approx £40 but Rolex will keep the old insert
    2) for a 50% surcharge you can ask to keep both inserts

Finally, they will not sell the insert on it's own, it must be fitted by them, which can be done in 15 mins.
    Last edited by Rich; 24th January 2018 at 16:59.

Craftsman
    Interesting point ref the LN serial designation for black bezel watches.

Is this only shown on the case serial, or is it also on the papers and hang tag?

Reason I ask is that I have an itch for a 16710 myself and ideally want the freedom to alter bezel colour.

Craftsman
    Funny after reading this I am now looking Away from Rolex. I was looking for a GMT with the Pepsi as I have always liked them.
    I am just a little put off by the comments here.

My upset is that people take a watch they own to the dealer for a bezel replacement and that dealer charges them to keep their own property by applying a surcharge to return the bezel they remove? I must have that wrong, please tell me I am wrong....Rolex actually tell you they will not give you back your own property unless you pay them money? Surely not, that is them assuming rights of ownership, that is theft.

Please tell me I have this wrong as I really like the GMT but to associate with that type of practice sort of taints it.

Bit stunned that is all.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dommorton View Post
    Interesting point ref the LN serial designation for black bezel watches.

Is this only shown on the case serial, or is it also on the papers and hang tag?

Reason I ask is that I have an itch for a 16710 myself and ideally want the freedom to alter bezel colour.
    Not entirely sure. There is a green rectangular plastic tag which usually has the price and serial number/bar code, as well as insert reference, if it's been kept, but if the watch is pre-plastic credit cards (which most are) then I don't think it shows anywhere. Of course the only way to be sure is to take the strap off, as sure as eggs are eggs, if you take it in to Rolex for an insert change from black to anything else, they will check....They might actually check with a coloured one too...Would only take seconds for them.

Craftsman
    The way I see it there is an exchange price and an outright buy price. It's a bit weird, as I doubt they ever use or sell the old ones. Just a step to try to take them out of circulation I guess.

Craftsman
    Not entirely sure. There is a green rectangular plastic tag which usually has the price and serial number/bar code, as well as insert reference, if it's been kept, but if the watch is pre-plastic credit cards (which most are) then I don't think it shows anywhere. Of course the only way to be sure is to take the strap off, as sure as eggs are eggs, if you take it in to Rolex for an insert change from black to anything else, they will check....They might actually check with a coloured one too...Would only take seconds for them.
    Makes buying from a private seller who isn't able/willing to remove the bracelet a bit tricky. That said, I guess that carries some risk of its own.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post

My upset is that people take a watch they own to the dealer for a bezel replacement and that dealer charges them to keep their own property

Please tell me I have this wrong as I really like the GMT but to associate with that type of practice sort of taints it.

Bit stunned that is all.
    That's what I was told today by Rolex St James. They basically don't want genuine inserts out there.
    Last edited by Rich; 24th January 2018 at 20:40.

Funny after reading this I am now looking Away from Rolex. I was looking for a GMT with the Pepsi as I have always liked them.
    I am just a little put off by the comments here.

My upset is that people take a watch they own to the dealer for a bezel replacement and that dealer charges them to keep their own property by applying a surcharge to return the bezel they remove? I must have that wrong, please tell me I am wrong....Rolex actually tell you they will not give you back your own property unless you pay them money? Surely not, that is them assuming rights of ownership, that is theft.

Bit stunned that is all.
    You could look at it another way; the bezel insert is £55 but they’ll give you £18 back for your old insert if you wish so you can choose to pay only £37 for the insert.

Craftsman
    Makes buying from a private seller who isn't able/willing to remove the bracelet a bit tricky. That said, I guess that carries some risk of its own.
    I am just dealing with that right now. Seller is outside the UK and is a private individual....Short of flying over there to see the watch and make my own judgement and then do a bank transfer, I have no way of knowing whether it's a fake or not....And even if I see it, I wouldn't be 100% sure without Rolex opening up the back....

ho hum.... No idea how I can transfer money but still be able to recover it should I be unhappy....

Any suggestions?

Craftsman
    Dave+63

I like your reasoning, if that is the case, i would hope some-one chimes in here to say Rolex actually and officially state this is so, then i can rest easy and keep looking.
    If there is no stated rationale from the company then retaining my property for their own purpose such as keeping it out of circulation is really bad.

I am hoping for your reasoning winns out then i can keep the love.

- - - Updated - - -

I am just dealing with that right now. Seller is outside the UK and is a private individual....Short of flying over there to see the watch and make my own judgement and then do a bank transfer, I have no way of knowing whether it's a fake or not....And even if I see it, I wouldn't be 100% sure without Rolex opening up the back....

ho hum.... No idea how I can transfer money but still be able to recover it should I be unhappy....

Any suggestions? :)
    Easy, walk away. There is always another one.

Craftsman

yes....that would be the wise thing to do....

but when have I ever been wise???

Craftsman

Any suggestions?
    It's a risk we all take buying old watches I guess. You just have to do your best to gain some confidence in the seller and their watch before pulling the trigger.

Dave+63

I like your reasoning, if that is the case, i would hope some-one chimes in here to say Rolex actually and officially state this is so, then i can rest easy and keep looking.
    If there is no stated rationale from the company then retaining my property for their own purpose such as keeping it out of circulation is really bad.

I am hoping for your reasoning winns out then i can keep the love.

- - - Updated - - -

There’s no official or unofficial word from Rolex about the procedure, it’s just what they do. It’s not theft and they won’t keep the old bezel if you pay the £55 for a new one.

It’s exactly the same as buying car parts on an exchange basis.

I certainly wouldn’t let it put you off buying a GMT, they’re a great watch. And how many times are you likely to want to buy a new insert?

Craftsman
    Dave,

It is just about being treated right. I do like the GMT, my nearest dealer is a way off but i will talk to them about this when travelling, their answer will either make me happy ....or not. Cheers.

Craftsman
    Dave,

It is just about being treated right. I do like the GMT, my nearest dealer is a way off but i will talk to them about this when travelling, their answer will either make me happy ....or not. Cheers.
    Well likely not, because AD'S won't let you keep the old insert full stop. It's strictly exchange.

Only St James will allow you to keep the old one.

I think you’re over thinking thinking this Carl, Rolex aren’t treating you badly or wrong in any way. Lots of people don’t care about keeping their old bezel so Rolex will buy it back off you. You’re perfectly entitled to keep your old bezel in which case Rolex obviously won’t give you any money back.

Whichever way you choose to look at it, it’s £37 or £55. Your choice!

Craftsman
    Well, i will see how the dealer states it, as i say it depends on how it is done, for me it is not over thinking, just what is right. As i say if they state it as you suggest that is fair. If not then i hope they explain their reasoning well. I have always had parts returned when i have had watches repaired or serviced without issue. (Omega / Tag and Oris).

For me this whole watch thing is a hobby, to keep the history of my watches in paperwork and parts is important, i hope Rolex can, for me, be honourable.

If not, oh well.

This seems to be a good GMT reference site

Craftsman
    Is there anywhere that shows all the component parts of a true ‘Full Set’ over the years? I see many watches advertised as ‘Full Set’ but even with my limited knowledge I can see that some elements are MIA.

I know sane people say buy the watch not the box, but still I’d like to know.

You can (Rolex) change the bezel from pepsi to coke or visa versa. You can also have either of the coloured versions if you have a black bezel to start with BUT...If the serial number on the edge of the watch at the 12 0'clock position (you have to take the strap off to see this) has the lettering "LN" after it, then NO, Rolex will not swap it from the black bezel to a coloured one - only to another black one. The LN signifies that this is a Lunette Noir (black) watch originally. Not all 16710 watches with black bezels have this lettering in the serial number, so a thing to check before you buy black and want to change to a colour with an original Rolex part.
    I have never seen that? You got any photo to support that? (honestly I am just curious would be new tidbit of information for me and I thought I know my stuff about 16710). I was pretty sure every 16710 is marked 16710 or 16710T after SEL.

I think that Rolex charges next to nothing for the aluminium bezels (sub ones cost same) and it's great that they let you purchase the other colors (unlike trying to purchase LV bezel).

EU and Asian distributions have the hangtang with bezel color, US papers contain bezel color on the warranty paper:

16710A - Coke
    16710B - Pepsi
    16710N - Black

Master
    And on the hang tags:

16710 = Coke
    16710 BLRO = Pepsi
    16710 LN. = Black

Craftsman
    I have never seen that? You got any photo to support that? (honestly I am just curious would be new tidbit of information for me and I thought I know my stuff about 16710). I was pretty sure every 16710 is marked 16710 or 16710T after SEL.
    just repeating the conversation that I had on the phone with Rolex St. James... But then maybe the person was thinking about the newer cerachrom? and that would makes sense if someone was trying to retrofit the pepsi bezel on to a black 116710, although having said that....I don't think they had it confused as we talked about Aluminium inserts....

Is there anywhere that shows all the component parts of a true ‘Full Set’ over the years? I see many watches advertised as ‘Full Set’ but even with my limited knowledge I can see that some elements are MIA.

I know sane people say buy the watch not the box, but still I’d like to know.
    It depends on location as EU/US/Asian had different booklets, but typically you will have outer carton box, inner box, chronometer hangtag, serial number hangtag, GMT-Master manual booklet, translation booklet, Your Oyster Booklet, leather sleeve for warranty, warranty for EU/Asian distributions US has different style warranty paper and booklets are GMT Master Manual, Factory Service Care For Your Rolex, Your Oyster Booklet. Bezel protector, rolex cloth, calendar are sometimes included.

just repeating the conversation that I had on the phone with Rolex St. James... But then maybe the person was thinking about the newer cerachrom? and that would makes sense if someone was trying to retrofit the pepsi bezel on to a black 116710, although having said that....I don't think they had it confused as we talked about Aluminium inserts....
    I am 99% sure none of the 16610/16710 had their colour specified in reference number on case, it was either with T for SEL or without.
    https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...nd-papers-8216 black from factory but just T in ref number...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    And on the hang tags:

16710 = Coke
    16710 BLRO = Pepsi
    16710 LN. = Black
    Is this the case for UK supplied? I’ve read it’s only US market that were ID tagged this way.

Craftsman
    It depends on location as EU/US/Asian had different booklets, but typically you will have outer carton box, inner box, chronometer hangtag, serial number hangtag, GMT-Master manual booklet, translation booklet, Your Oyster Booklet, leather sleeve for warranty, warranty for EU/Asian distributions US has different style warranty paper and booklets are GMT Master Manual, Factory Service Care For Your Rolex, Your Oyster Booklet. Bezel protector, rolex cloth, calendar are sometimes included.
    Thanks for taking the time to list that lot. Most useful.

Is this the case for UK supplied? I’ve read it’s only US market that were ID tagged this way.
    It’s for all markets I think, I had UK and Hong Kong Pepsis and both had BLRO on hangtag.