closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko SKX007 Mod

Apprentice

Seiko SKX007 Mod

Hello!

I've decided to mod my skx007 and firstly, what is the general thought on modding seikos here and secondly i'm hesitating between adding silver vs black mercedes hands to my mod so would like to hear your thoughts and see what others have done in here if possible?

I'll be changing the bezel, to coin edge, will also be adding a sub like ceramic bezel insert with yellow top triangle (just because I like yellow) and will be adding a double dome sapphire crystal so would you suggest black or silver mercedes hands to go with these mods?

Thanks!!!

If you're basically doing this... (not my photo)

... then black hands can look really good. If going for a yellow bezel marker then a yellow seconds hand would also be quite striking I think.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post

... then black hands can look really good. If going for a yellow bezel marker then a yellow seconds hand would also be quite striking I think.
    I’m essentially looking to build something like this but I cannot make out if these hands would be better in black or silver, the owner of the pic is telling me it’s silver but I’m still undecided...

0372C592-190F-4522-AE89-9AD90B17BA84-2775-00000135AEA4032B.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice

Seiko SKX007 Mod

[QUOTE=HariN;4639438]I’m essentially looking to build something like this but I cannot make out if these hands would be better in black or silver, the owner of the pic is telling me it’s silver but I’m still undecided...
    Last edited by HariN; 21st January 2018 at 17:35.

I've previously had an SKX007 with only one mod (an orange second hand) which I think worked really well as it was very subtle.
    On the other hand, I've recently done this to an 013...

There's certainly no issue on here with modding Seikos.

I can't really advise re the Mercedes hands as I don't like them except on Rolex. I know other brands use them but, to me, modding a Seiko should be about changing it to your taste or building something new rather than trying to make it look like another watch.

Master

I have done this except for the mercedes hands (so ceramic with red triangle, double dome) using dlw. FYI there end up being a small gap between the bezel insert and the crystal. Not too bad but more than I would like.
    I am not sure the mercedes hands add much so I chose to leave as is, but at this level doing small details for your own preference is what it’s all about really.
    I think the idea of a yellow second hand to match the yellow triangle could be really good. I would then leave the hands to be ‘boring’ so there was not too much going on.
    Given the cost is not much, just order everything and see what works !
    Enjoy the process.
    Last edited by JP28; 21st January 2018 at 20:13.

Master
    Some interesting new chapter rings too tingive even more options !

https://instagram.com/p/BeNTbYSlLqY/

Apprentice
    lol m

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post

I have done this except for the mercedes hands (so ceramic with red triangle, double dome) using dlw. FYI there end up being a small gap between the bezel insert and the crystal. Not too bad but more than I would like.
    I am not sure the mercedes hands add much so I chose to leave as is, but at this level doing small details for your own preference is what it’s all about really.
    I think the idea of a yellow second hand to match the yellow triangle could be really good. I would then leave the hands to be ‘boring’ so there was not too much going on.
    Given the cost is not much, just order everything and see what works !
    Enjoy the process.
    Thank you very much for the tip about the gap around the crystal but I think I found a potential solution by buying the crystal from crystaltimes that will fit the DLW ceramic sloping bezel inserts:

The yellow second hand is a great touch! Will add definitely be adding that!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I've previously had an SKX007 with only one mod (an orange second hand) which I think worked really well as it was very subtle.
    On the other hand, I've recently done this to an 013...

There's certainly no issue on here with modding Seikos.

I can't really advise re the Mercedes hands as I don't like them except on Rolex. I know other brands use them but, to me, modding a Seiko should be about changing it to your taste or building something new rather than trying to make it look like another watch.
    This is a beautiful mod!

I hear you about making a watch that is different but this is my first mod attempt so would like to keep it simple... not confident enough to attempt something like yours just yet!

Banned
    Nicest skx007 mod I’ve seen in a long time

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HariN View Post
    Thank you very much for the tip about the gap around the crystal but I think I found a potential solution by buying the crystal from crystaltimes that will fit the DLW ceramic sloping bezel inserts:
    Good find. May give that a go myself.

Master
    Juts to throw a curve ball into the mix, DLW also do a yatchmaster type bezel which looks pretty nice imho

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Juts to throw a curve ball into the mix, DLW also do a yatchmaster type bezel which looks pretty nice imho

I’ve actually bought both bezel inserts including the one you just mentioned! I’ll see which one looks better when doing the mod!

Master
    I’ve actually bought both bezel inserts including the one you just mentioned! I’ll see which one looks better when doing the mod!

Post a picture of them side by side when you get them

Last edited by Estoril-5; 22nd January 2018 at 13:07.

Master

Any updates on this?

Anyone know of anyone in the UK who can custom build me an SKX mod?

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Anyone know of anyone in the UK who can custom build me an SKX mod?
    There are a couple of guys who seem to be trying to make a business out of it on eBay - but I've messaged them in the past with no reply at all.

This might sound too much, but honestly it's not difficult to change out crystals, bezel inserts, hands, etc. and the tools required for one-off use don't have to be expensive. There are loads of youtube videos of people doing them. I've done quite a few bits myself with no problems... I would seriously, if you are in any way at all 'handy', get learning and just do it yourself. It's only an SKX - worst thing you can do is maybe just maybe if you work badly enough scratch your watch (but cocooning your watch in tape will basically make this impossible). Take care to protect the dial (with some plastic sheet from somewhere e.g. a ziplock bag) when removing hands too... There is so much information out there about every possible aspect of modding an SKX.

If you're worried about pressure testing then don't - the SKX is not pressure tested at the factory, so why should you? When you've got the movement out and swapped your crystal, reassemble the case (empty) with crown screwed down and take it under the shower, submerge it in the sink for an hour in both hot and cold water, etc. and make sure no water gets in. As long as you're not going to go diving why worry about 200m testing.
    Last edited by 200mwaterresistant; 22nd March 2018 at 10:43.

That mod looks great,got me thinking about getting a 007 now...

No problem modding as long the replacement parts do not use unwarranted branding. There is a cleverly named subforum all about it too.

Care is needed with the ceramic bezel inserts. Here is what happened to one of mine:

Also, ISO divers are reputedly individually tested to 125% of rated water resistance.

Diving watches are tested in static or still water under 125% of the rated (water) pressure, thus a watch with a 200-metre rating will be water resistant if it is stationary and under 250 metres of static water. ISO 6425 testing of the water resistance or water-tightness and resistance at a water overpressure as it is officially defined is fundamentally different from non-dive watches, because every single watch has to be tested
    source

So if you are going to use a modded watch for actual diving purposes you might want to have it pressure tested after modding. Not a bad idea anyway, for any watch. Personally I've used my modded watches in the sea (not scuba diving) and they were fine. A couple I did and still own:

I have replaced the pip since this photo :)

Same watch, quick insert and strap change

Most of this is easy to do yourself with the right tools.

seen few lovely mods but actaully not many to my personal liking

my two 007 case mods

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    seen few lovely mods but actaully not many to my personal liking

my two 007 case mods

Here is my mod;

Image1521790487.889444.jpg

Apprentice

Just waiting on delivery of my first 007 and have already ordered that ceramic bezel after seeing this beautiful mod.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rofno1 View Post
    Just waiting on delivery of my first 007 and have already ordered that ceramic bezel after seeing this beautiful mod.
    You may also want to upgrade the crystal as with the OEM one there is a small gap between it and this ceramic bezel. Its liveable with but it did nag at me every time I looked at it.

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    You may also want to upgrade the crystal as with the OEM one there is a small gap between it and this ceramic bezel. Its liveable with but it did nag at me every time I looked at it.
    Pretty sure crystal times have a couple of crystals specifically to deal with this.

I had a dlwwatches one in mine and though it did all line up pretty nicely afterwards, there was still a slightly too big clearance between the bezel insert and crystal (though the curve across the whole face of the bezel insert and crystal was a good profile - if you know what I mean)... So I wouldn't recommend them due to this gap, which the crystal times ones don't seem to have when looking at their photos.

There are a couple of guys who seem to be trying to make a business out of it on eBay - but I've messaged them in the past with no reply at all.

This might sound too much, but honestly it's not difficult to change out crystals, bezel inserts, hands, etc. and the tools required for one-off use don't have to be expensive. There are loads of youtube videos of people doing them. I've done quite a few bits myself with no problems... I would seriously, if you are in any way at all 'handy', get learning and just do it yourself. It's only an SKX - worst thing you can do is maybe just maybe if you work badly enough scratch your watch (but cocooning your watch in tape will basically make this impossible). Take care to protect the dial (with some plastic sheet from somewhere e.g. a ziplock bag) when removing hands too... There is so much information out there about every possible aspect of modding an SKX.

If you're worried about pressure testing then don't - the SKX is not pressure tested at the factory, so why should you? When you've got the movement out and swapped your crystal, reassemble the case (empty) with crown screwed down and take it under the shower, submerge it in the sink for an hour in both hot and cold water, etc. and make sure no water gets in. As long as you're not going to go diving why worry about 200m testing.
    While I'm interested in doing it myself, I am actively against even trying it. While I can now build a decent Airfix model, for example, it took me a hell of a lot of cheap Spitfires and Messerschimts before I finally attempted a 1:48 Lightning. The matching Meteor is half finished, awaiting someone with more skill than me to rescue it. I don't want that to happen with a watch. Surely there's someone competent who can source the bits and build me something? Obviously will pay for their time and expertise as well as the parts!

Master
    Pretty sure crystal times have a couple of crystals specifically to deal with this.

Per earlier in this thread this one from crystaltimes should do it (it's what I have ordered anyway).

"CT037CIS – Specially developed to solve the unsightly step problem for the ceramic sloping/thicker sub type bezel inserts. Double Dome (Domed Top – Domed Underside) with no top edge bevel and a stepped edge design to ensure a smoother looking fit with the sloping ceramic bezel inserts. AR* available -Blue AR, Clear AR** or No AR"

Craftsman

This is a really great looking mod!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Here is Red bezel mod I'm doing on mine once both watch & parts are delivered

Craftsman
    Couple of pics of my *slightly* modded SKX..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by csinclair85; 26th March 2018 at 16:05. Reason: pic attachment failed

Craftsman
    My modded SKX007, really like the plongeur hands.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    My modded SKX007, really like the plongeur hands.

They are nice!

Apprentice
    Anyone recommend a cost effective watch holder & hands pulling tool? Am I just as well popping onto Amazon?