closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nerf gun bullet in the eye

Nerf gun bullet in the eye

So my lad thought it'd be fun to sneak up on me and shoot me at short range....square in the eyeball!

I'm now in A&E on my weekend off waiting with 50 others to see if i need to worry. Blurred vision, odd shaped pupil, white bits are red, pain subsiding but feels scratchy. Excellent!

At least I can look at TZ.

Moan over.

Master
    Hope that goes OK. Best wishes.

Bloody hell,
    Hope no permanent damage.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Thanks, I've just learnt that these cheaper non-nerf bullets have a harder tip and are causing all sorts of problems - more powerful guns and harder bullets.

It's never crossed my mind really but I read some folks now insist kids wear eye protection. I'm not a health and safety loon but I can see the point now (albeit blurred) boom boom!

I hope it goes well in A&E, last thing you want to do now is to stare at your handheld, just close your eyes and wait for your turn. Naturally, do not touch or rub your eye..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    I got my daughter one at Christmas - amazed me how hard they fire, it now lives on top of the wardrobe!

My last experience of a NERF gun was a battery powered one at a friends house which spat out soft foam darts with an anemic little "phut phut phut". That one was fun, the new ones are military grade!

Craftsman
    Poor you, hope all goes well.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Eye patches are cool.
    Pirates rock.

GWS fella.

Craftsman
    pop to screwfix and buy some safety specs, or swimming goggles...

Quote Originally Posted by matt109 View Post
    pop to screwfix and buy some safety specs, or swimming goggles...
    And a nail gun and get your revenge.

Thanks all.

You've got to love the NHS at times like this, how amazing are they. I rock up out the blue with my sick eye, I get seen for assessment within 10 minutes, and then despite a full waiting room, within 3 hours I've seen a nurse, a doctor,
    And an eye doctor. I've been given a low down on the injury, 4 different types of drops and creams to take away, and a further appointment for Tuesday. Magic really.

The pressure in the eye was apparently the worry but they think it'll be alright. Got a scratched eye, got a swollen bloody bruise on the eyeball, and an enlarged and slow to respond pupil. There is bleeding in the iris if I recall right and he got me worried when he bought in 3 nurses to come and take a look. But I'm reasured it should heal just fine in a relatively short period of time.

I'd rather me get shot than one of his school chums, but lesson learnt here today.

Don't play with the kids!

Mine of information this place, I shall never buy the cheap nerf bullet substitutes.

Glad you're ok OP.

I'll send you some nice safety specs if you pm me (free)

Sorry to hear about that, I once ended up in hospital with an eye problem having poked myself in the eye with a christmas tree. The funny thing was that there were four other people there who had done precisely the same ! I do remember it hurt a lot so you do have my sympathies...

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I'll send you some nice safety specs if you pm me (free)
    What a kind offer. Will pm.

Good news, make sure you put all the drops and ointments as directed, the main worry is infection, second one is bleeding and high interocular pressure, so if you feel any discomfort or drop in vision - just go back no mater what hour of the day it is. Good luck and speedy recovery
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Good news, make sure you put all the drops and ointments as directed, the main worry is infection, second one is bleeding and high interocular pressure, so if you feel any discomfort or drop in vision - just go back no mater what hour of the day it is. Good luck and speedy recovery
    Thanks, and it definitely sounds like you know the drill. And you're right, 4 different things to put in my eye each day. I will make sure to comply. Cheers

Master

Take care.

Blog Entries
    So pleased to hear all is okay and know the pain having been there.

We have an impressive armoury and with a 30yo daughter (husband + 2), 28yo son (wife + 3) and youngest, a 14yo son at home when they (the big’uns) all descend on home it’s Nerf WWIII. We even have Nerf swords.

Feel for ya but heck makes me laugh.

GWS

Pitch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Eye patches are cool.
    Pirates rock.

GWS fella.
    Haha brutal

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    And a nail gun and get your revenge.
    Very brutal 

Master
    My brother had a similar injury from playing badminton- shuttlecock right in the eye. He ended up with a detached retina that had to be lasered back on, that caused a cataract which had to be removed.
    It was touch and go whether he would lose his sight but he was lucky and got away with just loss of peripheral vision in that eye.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Exactly why I banned them from our house after the 10 year old shot the 6 year old in the face. No harm done untilmately, but you might as well chuck rocks at each other.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    So pleased to hear all is okay and know the pain having been there.

We have an impressive armoury and with a 30yo daughter (husband + 2), 28yo son (wife + 3) and youngest, a 14yo son at home when they (the big’uns) all descend on home it’s Nerf WWIII. We even have Nerf swords.

Feel for ya but heck makes me laugh.

GWS

Pitch
    Sounds awesome. We've got quite a collection here, and I guess I should be glad it wasn't one of those mega bullets, you know the large red ones.

Easily deflected with a deep blue and quick reactions!

Master
    Sorry to hear your pain, hope it heals fast.

Wear glasses and get the kids to do the same, we got bright coloured ones as the kids like them. Modern Nerf guns really should come with more warnings, they are very powerful as standard, and can be easily modded for more power.

Please give your boy a big hug, he’ll feel awful about hurting you I suspect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Sounds awesome. We've got quite a collection here, and I guess I should be glad it wasn't one of those mega bullets, you know the large red ones.

Easily deflected with a deep blue and quick reactions!
    Hahaha. If the Deep Blue took a strike they would all be straight to bed regardless of age.

Have you got one with the masssive grenade like darts, yeahthd red ones. ?? They are serious shite. We have the the one with the revolving mag which we play Nerf roulette with once the vodka is out. Seeing the big kids get it in the temple is so funny.

Yours are obviously young but it does get even funnier as they get older, you can hurt them more. Lol.

Glad to hear you all right, hope you and your kid can see eye to eye now.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks all.

You've got to love the NHS at times like this, how amazing are they. I rock up out the blue with my sick eye, I get seen for assessment within 10 minutes, and then despite a full waiting room, within 3 hours I've seen a nurse, a doctor,
    Squinting out of one eye, face screwed up..........

and you think you “rocked up”.

Master

Nerf gun bullet in the eye

Old photo, some of these have gone, and we have gained s few more.

The sligfire got a new extended 3D printed barrel and s paint job. Youngest is a big Jurassic world fan, this was the closest to Owens rifle I could make it. It will get used for cosplay too.

Last edited by Essexman; 22nd January 2018 at 00:00.

Ouch feel for you...

We always use safety glasses... and luckily that has always worked for us, but there was a time when one of my boys got a bit overexcited and I got a bit to close, he had run out of bullets so he decided to pistol whip me instead... nearly knocked me out and broke two of my teeth and caused an infection in another... awesome fun !

Master
    We've a few Nerf guns in our family and I purchased a large amount of cheap foam darts from a Chinese seller on EBay. Whilst these darts work with Nerf guns the tips are made of plastic and pack a real punch. They were never used as I could see someone getting hurt. Sorry to hear about the ops acciden. Only buy genuine Nerf darts and teach children the basics of gun control even with plastic toys.

I got hit by a squashball in the eye once - luckily it was not a full speed shot
    can't remember what happened though - some redness and blurred vision for a bit but was otherwise ok

Master
    It is quite a common mechanism of eye injury now and most people end up in the same situation as you! Usually make a full recovery however with no loss of vision.

Safety specs definitely a good idea!

I hope it heals asap, something to watch out for with my Grandson

Quick update. I'm pleased to say all on the mend, no concerns from the doctors, pressure all good, and blurred vision will just clear in coming weeks. Thanks for the concern guys, and of course to Goat who has done a very kind and generous thing to prevent me needing to throw those guns in the bin, thanks David.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-the-best-hero

Master
    Excellent! Very glad to hear.

Master
    Quick update. I'm pleased to say all on the mend, no concerns from the doctors, pressure all good, and blurred vision will just clear in coming weeks. Thanks for the concern guys, and of course to Goat who has done a very kind and generous thing to prevent me needing to throw those guns in the bin, thanks David.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-the-best-hero
    Good to hear! Glad you're on the mend.

A few years ago I hit a real tennis ball (like a cross between a hockey ball and a lawn tennis ball) into my eye off the frame of my racket. The NHS at the JR in Oxford were AMAZING. I got proper quality ribbing for playing a silly game (the doc was a squash player), told to use the drops and, in no uncertain terms, to WEAR EYE PROTECTION. Have done ever since, so nice one Goat for sending you specs.

Good here, innit?

Master
    Glad to hear you are OK.

So what Nerf gun are you buying next?

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Glad to hear you are OK.

So what Nerf gun are you buying next?

Ha, I think we have enough to keep us safe even if we enter the the zombie apocolypse. Just got to aim at their eyes!

]

This has been a very useful thread - my ten yr old son is tooled up to the max with these things, and personally I know I would have loved them at his age.

However, the info about the replacement Chinese bullets is very helpful, and I will see if I can get him to wear some kind of protective eyewear.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Ha, I think we have enough to keep us safe even if we enter the the zombie apocolypse. Just got to aim at their eyes!

]
    You are missing a flywheel driven Nerf gun, much fun. Even more fun if you replace the two motors..........

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    You are missing a flywheel driven Nerf gun, much fun. Even more fun if you replace the two motors..........
    The whole world of Nerf gun mods!

Nobody has mentioned the nerf rival yet - the ones that fire little round balls instead of darts. They are in a different league compared to nerf darts and really do need eye protection. Great fun but when you first fire one it’s a bit of a shock when you’re used to the darted versions - less prone to jamming too. I was a bit surprised when I was shot in the back on Christmas Day and felt it sting through a thick festive jumper! - glad to hear the eye is on the mend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    The whole world of Nerf gun mods!
    Yep.......my modded Nerf.